Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The demographics in 2020 will be oh so slightly more favored for Dems compared to this year and 2 years ago and considering by how slimly Trump won by that alone might be enough.

It’s going to be up to the candidate we put up though. So please no Liz Warren, I love her and believe she’d do a great job but she’s as inspiring as a sack of doorknobs.

We are absolutely in a position where the dem primary will essentially decide the winner of the general near instantly

Biden, Booker, any number of half-baked centrists who might crawl out of the woodwork between then and now, we can kiss our asses goodbye the second one of them wins. We need to be watching the party and holding them accountable. We can not afford another 2016 ratfucking. If it starts looking like the DNC is set to appoint its Chosen One again in 2020 you best buy a gun and/or get your immigration papers in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1060333176252448768

Holy poo poo gently caress off.

Lying to us about what we're seeing and trying to cynically weaponize metoo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lightning Knight posted:

:yikes: That's hosed up, what incident are they referring to?

The thing at the presser today. Acosta challenged dear leader and woudln't back down and take his poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BlueberryCanary posted:

Sooooo is there a reason that neither this thread nor the Russia thread are discussing the fact that Jeff Sessions resigned earlier today at the behest of Trump, potentially putting the Mueller probe in danger?

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060256623439110146

Because that's a thing that happened.

I think this thread moves faster than you realize.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I queued a week for this by the way, don't do garbage like this.

Sure we can't go for a ban? It's not like Oxx adds anything even when he's not publicly looking forward to other posters' suicides.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

The video shows the LITERAL OPPOSITE of this.

https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/1060331883878379520

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

I think this thread moves faster than you realize.

~2500 posts in like 12 hours!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I loving hate this government

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

It was discussed in both, and you are free to continue discussing it. I don't really see a path for Democrats to effectively block him from killing the investigation and I doubt there's going to be mass turnout to protect Mueller's position.

the democratic house can do investigations and presumably Mueller, being a ruthless Lawn Order terminator, has backup plans (starting with handing his everything relevant to NY and NJ attorneys general)

even if New Horrible Acting Attorney General Partisan Hack goes with his proposed "cut all of mueller's funds, decline all his future requests", it ain't dead, although doing that instead of firing Mueller is likely to produce less public rage than the alternative

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
CNN should refuse to do live coverage of his events and essentially not cover his crazy poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1060333176252448768

Holy poo poo gently caress off.

Lying to us about what we're seeing and trying to cynically weaponize metoo.

Bahahahahha. Amazed that they didn't try spin that Acosta threw a shoe at Trump or some other non-real thing that didn't happen. Something like "We will not tolerate DRUNK reporters driving motorbikes at the PRESIDENT during a press conference".

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Congrats to Jim Acosta who'll get to dine out on this incident for the rest of his career.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lightning Knight posted:

:yikes: That's hosed up, what incident are they referring to?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...ek-in-politics/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i don't know who Lady Seven is but i nominate her for president based on her attire

I think I saw something about the first Muslim, who's a woman to boot, being elected to congress? I'm guessing that's her.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i don't know who Lady Seven is but i nominate her for president based on her attire

5 is giving me Olivia Pope vibes and I LOVE IT.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1060334166083059712

Seized the pass.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mooseontheloose posted:

CNN should refuse to do live coverage of his events and essentially not cover his crazy poo poo.

what is the actual function of the white house press corp?

like, the press briefings haven't provided anything more than noise and spectacle for two years and it gives the administration a platform to lie without being called on it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm at work, what exactly did Acosta do that they are spinning into assaulting an intern?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Huh. I expected people in this thread to be pretty panicky about the Sessions firing, but it's been pretty jocular. Is this because of the thread merger?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure we can't go for a ban? It's not like Oxx adds anything even when he's not publicly looking forward to other posters' suicides.

Yeah he's at the point where he has multiple probations for telling people to kill themselves/hoping folks die.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DynamicSloth posted:

Congrats to Jim Acosta who'll get to dine out on this incident for the rest of his career.

if he's ever in my mildly awful town in texas i'll buy him as much barbecue as he can cram down his gullet

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Shot in the dark, but does anyone know where I can find raw election data for local races in New York State (State Senate & Assembly). I want to do some analysis/visualization of the races as locally as possible, but I'm having a difficult time finding the raw data that will let me do the manipulations I need. I contacted the Board of Elections, but I suspect they're going to be slow. Anyone know of any available datasets that breakout the election data into election districts or precincts?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I think I saw something about the first Muslim, who's a woman to boot, being elected to congress? I'm guessing that's her.

I think you're thinking of Rashida Tlaib, who represents my district! MI-13.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The right response is for everyone else to call bullshit and try and become the new Jim Acosta because like the free press thing only works if you don't let them pull this poo poo.

I mean, last time they tried to ban CNN reporters even Chris Wallace spoke out against it. So hopefully tonight/tomorrow is a shitshow. And the fact that they're flat out making up an assault story when the video of it has already gone viral is just asking for the news story of tomorrow.

The Administration is so evil but also so loving incompetent.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Petr posted:

Huh. I expected people in this thread to be pretty panicky about the Sessions firing, but it's been pretty jocular. Is this because of the thread merger?

I don't know why we would panic. Jeff Sessions is a massive shitbird and the Mueller investigation isn't really the lynchpin of defeating Trump in 2020. It's not great but it's not worth freaking out about imo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

we've had other muslims (Keith Ellison!), it's probably a narrower qualifier but she looks cool at least

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Acosta was already a good reporter, now he’s a legend.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
now the rest of them will be even more spineless

can't lose precious access

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cythereal posted:

We got two actually, and a couple native American women as well. Democratic caucus is starting to look more like its voters

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Petr posted:

It was always inevitable. Winning the House is probably playing a large part in folks being able to take this news with a level head.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Koalas Massacre posted:

5 is giving me Olivia Pope vibes and I LOVE IT.

also i didn't notice on first glance but 5's hair owns and presumably takes a trillion years to do

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Acosta getting stopped by a "secret service" guy who sounds like he's 15

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Deified Data posted:

I'm at work, what exactly did Acosta do that they are spinning into assaulting an intern?

a member of the white house staff tried to take acosta's microphone while he was using it and he pulled away

i was going to say, "i hope someone asks trump about the time he cheered on lewandowski grabbing a reporter" but i don't expect anything to come from that because this administration lacks shame

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Deified Data posted:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...ek-in-politics/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Petr posted:

Sessions' firing was always coming and we were prepared, Mueller seemed to have prepared for it with him working with the NY AG, and the Dems grabbing the House changes the dynamic of this since the entire reason we needed a special council was because the House refused to investigate it themselves?

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Cythereal posted:

There are actually 2 muslim women who managed to get elected to Congress yesterday! One is Rashida Tlaib who is my representative and a badass super nice lady. The other is the one in that picture, and her name utterly escapes me but she seems pretty awesome too.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petr posted:

I think a bunch of people who were super worked up about got probated, more for flipping out that other people have a different perspective on the seriousness of the situation or the amount of attention that it really deserves. Elections have consequences. :v:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

It was discussed in both, and you are free to continue discussing it. I don't really see a path for Democrats to effectively block him from killing the investigation and I doubt there's going to be mass turnout to protect Mueller's position.

This incidentally is part of why I was thinking that the 'new investigations' that were promised seem to be... wishful thinking at best. If we can't even bring this one home, how exactly can a weak dem house hope to instigate new investigations that will have any teeth?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got my call to protest the firing tomorrow but I'm gonna be on a plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Deified Data posted:

Basically she was trying to take the mic off him, and he sort of pulled it back and didn't let it go, and his free hand pressed against her arm briefly. After a couple seconds of this she stops trying and sits down. So dramatic and violent an assault was this that not one single person in the room at the time even paid mind to it.