Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Asnorban posted:

Where the video?

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1060316929112657920

edit: For some reason this is what came up when I googled "puppy acosta"

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Paracaidas posted:

Woooould we say "waiting"?

this is just the opportunity john delaney has been spending millions of dollars donated by gullible billionaires to create!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I hate to be a bad news bear, but Think Progress pointed out a possible big concern on the horizon. While we made great inroads on gerrymandering, the Reps are trying to work through the courts a case that outlaws an independent commission drawing districts. This means the indy commissions in AZ, MI, PA (I think?) are dead in the water as well as any other one in the country. The Reps have at least 2 years to gently caress this up and Kennedy was the only reason we avoided it so far.

Make me feel better, pls.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lycus posted:

My mother, for instance, can't give a reason whenever she brings up Biden for 2020. Yeah, it's just name recognition. He's the Democratic Jeb!

well gently caress, he's winning 49 states then

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guys, guys... Donald Trump might just outsmart and play the Democrats. We should totally be scared of how clever Donald Trump is. Because his aids are actively telling us his Bondian plans.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Do we have reporting that Pelosi has the chair locked up? It seems foregone but outside validation is nice.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr Interweb posted:

I hate to be a bad news bear, but Think Progress pointed out a possible big concern on the horizon. While we made great inroads on gerrymandering, the Reps are trying to work through the courts a case that outlaws an independent commission drawing districts. This means the indy commissions in AZ, MI, PA (I think?) are dead in the water as well as any other one in the country. The Reps have at least 2 years to gently caress this up and Kennedy was the only reason we avoided it so far.

this feels nutso but if you could link the article that'd be cool

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/TrumpsAlert/status/1060212808292298752

GreyjoyBastard posted:

we've had other muslims (Keith Ellison!)

Wha... buuuu

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to let the enemy know that you're exploiting their divisions when you try to exploit their divisions.

Trump is very dumb and bad at this, but his opponents can't help themselves from rising to bait so it always works.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

STAC Goat posted:

Guys, guys... Donald Trump might just outsmart and play the Democrats. We should totally be scared of how clever Donald Trump is. Because his aids are actively telling us his Bondian plans.

I mean this would be a clever plan if Donald Trump wasn't so publicly lovely and electoral poison to Democratic voters. Trump thinks he's god's gift to the nation and everyone loves him so he doesn't comprehend that associating with him is the quickest way to lose your seat as a D lawmaker. If he were say, Mitt Romney, I'd be afraid this would work.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

The government only has the power we permit it to have. A sufficiently organized movement could enact any change you can imagine, at any time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Trabisnikof posted:

Do we have reporting that Pelosi has the chair locked up? It seems foregone but outside validation is nice.

The only person who could have given her a challenge lost to AOC in the primary. The only dude left who is likely to try is a straightup blue dog.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Glumslinger posted:

The only person who could have given her a challenge lost to AOC in the primary. The only dude left who is likely to try is a straightup blue dog.

This isn't entirely accurate, there's been rumblings of a run by Barbara Lee for speakership.

I wish Pelosi would hand it off to her, Lee as Speaker is exactly what the country needs right now.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mr Interweb posted:

it's think progress

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

They're gonna reject becuase Fox News will frame it as killing jobs (taxes for healthcare and infrastructure) and hurting them. Do you not remember how Fox News spent 4 years talking about the ACA Death Panels? It wasn't a nuanced discussion about why it would fail to control spiraling prescription prices or unable to stop the hospital consolidation. They weren't talking about how it was market based solution that was dependent on the cooperation of local states and buy-in from insurers who hated the mild limits on profit. It was all "Death Panels! They're gonna make you wait in line like in CANADA! Socialized medicine! Job killing taxes!"

The information bubble makes it hard to get the details of poo poo through to the target audience.

And yet: voters in three red states passed expanded medicaid yesterday.

Details of poo poo like "Here's your free healthcare! Now let's work to get all Americans what you wanted & voted for" can get through to voters when "let's have a market-based solution devised by the insurance industry that you won't be able to afford to use" doesn't.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I assume they're going to trade an infrastructure bill for the wall, that seems to be where this is heading. If it is the private-public bill that Trump wants its a worse than worthless trade. If it is some big government spending kind of bill, I could be convinced. But building the wall seems like a faustian bargain to me.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Kobayashi posted:

He's absolutely going to steamroll Pelosi, if her day-after comments are any indication. She simply doesn't understand what is happening.

I love that there are still people in this thread that find Trump to be more politically intelligent than X.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Since SCOTUS let PA's court-drawn map stand, I'm pretty skeptical that they shoot down independent commissions. What grounds are they even claiming?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lycus posted:

My mother, for instance, can't give a reason whenever she brings up Biden for 2020. Yeah, it's just name recognition. He's the Democratic Jeb!

Biden's gonna win 538 EC votes?!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Apologies for the graininess of this video but this popped into my head when I watched the Acosta video. Memory is a funny thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJl8RTLCYnY

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

I assume they're going to trade an infrastructure bill for the wall, that seems to be where this is heading. If it is the private-public bill that Trump wants its a worse than worthless trade. If it is some big government spending kind of bill, I could be convinced. But building the wall seems like a faustian bargain to me.

The wall is electoral poison though, every D lawmaker knows their base dries up if they build the stupid wall.

It would be a huge symbolic defeat and any Dem that even suggests the idea deserves ridicule (this includes Chuck Schumer from last year).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/imwren/status/1060341314691260417

Chuds are broken.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

This isn't entirely accurate, there's been rumblings of a run by Barbara Lee for speakership.

I wish Pelosi would hand it off to her, Lee as Speaker is exactly what the country needs right now.

if barbara lee somehow wins i would not be sad, but i maintain that the scenario we want is something like Lee Majority Leader, Ocasio-Cortex Whip, and Pelosi using her last productive years to hone them into ruthless monsters who feast on Republican entrails and terrify the House Democrats into line

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lightning Knight posted:

Is there an obvious Pelosi-pick for a replacement Majority Leader?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if barbara lee somehow wins i would not be sad, but i maintain that the scenario we want is something like Lee Majority Leader, Ocasio-Cortex Whip, and Pelosi using her last productive years to hone them into ruthless monsters who feast on Republican entrails and terrify the House Democrats into line

Cortez is a freshman and will likely be a back-bencher for a couple terms at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"Karate chop" has been their chosen term for describing him preventing her from grabbing the mic, so expect to see a lot of that around in any discussion about this. It's loving stupid as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i know we’re no longer supposed to be surprised by this poo poo but it is shocking how unqualified this guy is to be attorney general.

i mean he thought tim tebow was an nfl quality qb.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Trabisnikof posted:

The wall is insane because it would require a bunch of Texans and south westerners to not only allow but volunteer for eminent domain by the federal government.

It's a Russian nesting doll of dumb.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I love that there are still people in this thread that find Trump to be more politically intelligent than X.

Trump will create a scenario to get the Democrats infighting.

Then he will promptly lose his temper with his own creation and spend several news cycles clashing with it. By the end he will have forgotten he made it up.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Can the acting AG tell Mueller to just destroy his findings as of now, and nothing will ever be released?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lycus posted:

Is there an obvious Pelosi-pick for a replacement Majority Leader?

No idea.

I just sure as poo poo hope we don’t end up with a Tim Ryan speakership lol.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Cortez is a freshman and will likely be a back-bencher for a couple terms at least.

look, i didn't say all parts of it were likely

Lightning Knight posted:

No idea.

I just sure as poo poo hope we don’t end up with a Tim Ryan speakership lol.

you mentioned very briefly your objections to him in the 2020 presidential candidate thread but never went into detail, what's wrong with time ryan

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

"Karate chop" has been their chosen term for describing him preventing her from grabbing the mic, so expect to see a lot of that around in any discussion about this. It's loving stupid as hell.

Can't wait for them to start photoshopping Jim Acosta into Ryu from Street Fighter in a few days as the meme metastasizes because a lot of these people literally cannot conceive of life but through the lens of video games.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean this would be a clever plan if Donald Trump wasn't so publicly lovely and electoral poison to Democratic voters. Trump thinks he's god's gift to the nation and everyone loves him so he doesn't comprehend that associating with him is the quickest way to lose your seat as a D lawmaker. If he were say, Mitt Romney, I'd be afraid this would work.

I disagree because it seems inherently rooted in the idea that the Democrats will operate the same way the Republicans did and there will be a "hard left" contingent like the House Freedom Caucus to constantly disrupt the Democrats' agenda and force them to work with the GOP. But like... that's not a thing that actually exists as of now and the HFC are insane assholes. And as you said Trump is a unifying force to work against, especially if he's simultaneously refusing to cooperate in House investigations while playing his mind games with the House. And Nancy Pelosi's whole thing is being good at that not happening, no?

Like, I get why Donald Trump thinks that's the case because not only is he driven by his blind narcissism as you said but his understanding of how the government works starts in 2017. But like, it doesn't actually seem well thought out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nine-gear crow posted:

Can't wait for them to start photoshopping Jim Acosta into Ryu from Street Fighter in a few days as the meme metastasizes because a lot of these people literally cannot conceive of life but through the lens of video games.

Case in Point the whole NPC thing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Willa Rogers posted:

And yet: voters in three red states passed expanded medicaid yesterday.

Details of poo poo like "Here's your free healthcare! Now let's work to get all Americans what you wanted & voted for" can get through to voters when "let's have a market-based solution devised by the insurance industry that you won't be able to afford to use" doesn't.

But Medicaid expansion is a huge cornerstone of the ACA, it was gonna be mandatory for all states to expand it, but that part got wrecked by the Supreme Court.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

don't doxx me

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

The wall is electoral poison though, every D lawmaker knows their base dries up if they build the stupid wall.

It would be a huge symbolic defeat and any Dem that even suggests the idea deserves ridicule (this includes Chuck Schumer from last year).

I can't decide if the allure of funding local projects will convince enough in the House that its worth it. I was just earlier arguing that Trump's base will be energized no matter what, and I think its true. Lobbyist pressure will be high for everyone to get their kickbacks and money has to get spent to get kickbacks.

Can the Democratic base (especially in 2020 swing states) get placated with enough real projects in their community that they don't care about the wall?

I think you're correct that its self-destructive move, particularly as it deflates the change message across the board. If Congress can get something done with Trump, why replace Trump when Republicans promise to refuse to work with a Democratic President?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you mentioned very briefly your objections to him in the 2020 presidential candidate thread but never went into detail, what's wrong with time ryan

His speakership run was essentially as an anti identity politics Dem and he’s also just a weird dude. Read the Intercept profile of him lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's worth noting that none of these MAGA fucks actually believes Jim Acosta assaulted that intern. Not a single one. They're just trying to use that word to make it stick to Acosta so that the next time one of their candidates actually assaults a reporter, they can say, "Reporters are the violent ones and the VIOLENT LEFT stands by them!" That's all.