Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

VVV: Always be new-biking.

pokie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
New bike??

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KTM: Ready to have a hole punched in the case

For real though, what is that and what is it for?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i think it's literally for what you just joked about

that or hill billy tom just got a new cnc machine and wanted to test it out

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Toe rest?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

The part on the right is the end of the break pedal. You can see the black lever just behind it sneaking to the left towards the foot perg.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

KTM: Ready to have a hole punched in the case

For real though, what is that and what is it for?

it’s aluminum bolted to aluminum, it ain’t punching holes in anything :D

but it’s a dual step lever. my GSA has a flip up for standing/sitting, this just has both and I prefer it to the BMW set up personally

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

You dirt people have some weird accessories. I sorta understand but also don't get it.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Fanelien posted:

You dirt people have some weird accessories. I sorta understand but also don't get it.

The angle of your foot at rest on the pegs is different when standing vs sitting.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Fanelien posted:

really I just like spending money on stupid poo poo that looks rad, but it's also this:

Tremblay posted:

The angle of your foot at rest on the pegs is different when standing vs sitting.

as shifting your weight to hit the rear brake on a 160hp, 500 pound dirt bike can be a bit hairy at times :D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I get it, at first I thought the vertical piece was bolted to the case.

Makes more sense now

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fanelien posted:

i think this is more "idiot adv farkles" than a dirt thing

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was gonna complain about the first one but with the second one it's ok, thanks

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I was gonna complain about the first one but with the second one it's ok, thanks

Glad to be of service.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

it’s aluminum bolted to aluminum, it ain’t punching holes in anything :D

Buddy you might be shocked at how quickly aluminum bends when you throw a bike on it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buddy you might be shocked at how quickly aluminum bends when you throw a bike on it.

I think that's their point - it will bend and break before punching a hole through the engine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'd have to say that pedal step would punch a good hole in the case cover if it took a hit from the side. It's a solid block of metal. Doesn't look like it would be protective at all. But if the engine is taking hits like that from the side it might get decent hosed up either way.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'd have to say that pedal step would punch a good hole in the case cover if it took a hit from the side. It's a solid block of metal. Doesn't look like it would be protective at all. But if the engine is taking hits like that from the side it might get decent hosed up either way.

the step is comprised of two pieces so it’ll definitely split in two where the top bolts to the bottom then to the pedal before it does any real damage

but yeah really if you’re taking a huge hit to the side of the case to where you’re worried about a pedal extension I’d probably worry about myself over a cheap to replace and easy to trail fix clutch cover

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
how do you trail fix "all my oil is gone"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

how do you trail fix "all my oil is gone"

quick set jb weld and use the straw from your camelbak to suck out 1/3 of your two buddies oil.

or this https://www.atomic-moto.com/products/klim-tow-straps

or, if you're riding by yourself then either this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww or this https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

quick set jb weld and use the straw from your camelbak to suck out 1/3 of your two buddies oil.

yeup. plus it's molasses 10w50 so it pours quite slow & I keep a quart on me :D

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
After a couple years with a Triumph Street twin I've come back to triples:

NoDoorway fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 2, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

NoDoorway posted:

After a couple years with a Triumph Street twin I've come back to triples:

That's another name for Bonnie, right? How did you like it? How does the Yamaha feel by comparison?

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

pokie posted:

That's another name for Bonnie, right? How did you like it? How does the Yamaha feel by comparison?

Yeah the water cooled 900cc bonnie. It was a good bike, a bit slow but fun. I changed because I needed something a bit more multirole and honestly I missed the power.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Very switchy road on Mnt. Ham

Seasonal tarantula migration on said road.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
It didn't rain for the first time in almost ten days, so I went out in search of some new roads.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
After selling the SV650S eight years ago, I'm finally back in the saddle with this 2012 FZ1.

I guess I have a semi for semi nakeds.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Touring mode, go!

80 litres, baby :awesome:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Tentacle Party posted:

After selling the SV650S eight years ago, I'm finally back in the saddle with this 2012 FZ1.

I guess I have a semi for semi nakeds.

Hell yeah, it's my bike's big brother. Congrats!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Nice! I wish we had more places to ride off road in NJ. NJ is the worst for off road riding.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Yuns posted:

Nice! I wish we had more places to ride off road in NJ. NJ is the worst for off road riding.

and owning guns :arghfist:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Lol that too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

and owning guns :arghfist:

Thought I was in the ADVRider thread for a second

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

Thought I was in the ADVRider thread for a second

you are :blastu:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

What? Pine barrens are awesome.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

builds character posted:

What? Pine barrens are awesome.
I had no idea. Do you have any link to where it's legal or not to ride? I was researching areas close to me (Morris County) and the local, state and federal lands closest to me that I looked up were all off limits.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

I had no idea. Do you have any link to where it's legal or not to ride? I was researching areas close to me (Morris County) and the local, state and federal lands closest to me that I looked up were all off limits.

PM sent, but start out at atsion ranger station and go ride anything that’s not single track or posted. It’s all legal. And sand. So much fine sand. If you don’t ride sand regularly, its a little easier riding for the first time there after they’ve had some rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe