Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Stickman posted:

Since SCOTUS let PA's court-drawn map stand, I'm pretty skeptical that they shoot down independent commissions. What grounds are they even claiming?

They're probably going through Article 1, Section 4:

quote:

The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof;

But I believe that courts have held that it's okay for legislatures to cede this power to an independent commission, even if it were a ballot question that gave the commission that power.

E:

Farchanter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

people on twitter are saying this is all a ploy to distract us from the AG and the house lmao. as if we can only think about one thing and once, and it isn't just that trump is a big impulsive baby

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Holy poo poo. Lightning Knight seems to be on top of probates this evening. :stare:

She doesn't even ask for the microphone first. At least ask before you prepare to pry it from his cold dead fingers. Other than that, great go getter attitude.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

His speakership run was essentially as an anti identity politics Dem and he’s also just a weird dude. Read the Intercept profile of him lol.

helpful link for other ryan-curious goons: Ohio Democrat Tim Ryan is telling people he will run for President in 2020, hoping to win "yoga vote"

which sounds like an encouraging start to both the article and his ambitions

CmdrRiker posted:

Holy poo poo. Lightning Knight seems to be on top of probates this evening. :stare:

She doesn't even ask for the microphone first. At least ask before you prepare to pry it from his cold dead fingers. Other than that, great go getter attitude.

i'll give her some credit for her excellent "don't gently caress with me, buddy" glare right before huffing and sitting down

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 8, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trabisnikof posted:

I assume they're going to trade an infrastructure bill for the wall, that seems to be where this is heading. If it is the private-public bill that Trump wants its a worse than worthless trade. If it is some big government spending kind of bill, I could be convinced. But building the wall seems like a faustian bargain to me.

While I don't think its impossible that the Wall (or a symbolic part of it) gets given up for something the Dems consider bigger, I don't think an infrastructure bill is that. That's absolutely not something they could run on and advance the way DACA is/was.

But I also think the time for that may have passed. The Dems were willing to trade the Wall for stuff when they had no leverage. Now they have leverage, an electoral mandate, and an impending 2020 race.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Jim Acosta is the Tami Lahren of the liberal side and he purposefully seeks out these confrontations so he can whine about them in the spotlight later that evening on CNN. I totally disagree with the WH blocking a reporter’s access, but Acosta is an anansi boy.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

If we pretend to buy into this narrative for a moment, this means that Donald Trump allowed one of his interns to be manhandled right in front of his face and was completely impotent about it.
"Our weak president can't protect his staff" doesn't seem like a winning spin really.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

Can't wait for them to start photoshopping Jim Acosta into Ryu from Street Fighter in a few days as the meme metastasizes because a lot of these people literally cannot conceive of life but through the lens of video games.

Apropos of nothing I've noticed this weird thing where every time a poster I don't recognize starts making GBS threads up a thread I frequent I look at their post history to see if they're usually like that and give them some context and its like all video game threads.

I don't know if its saying something about gamers and my opinions of them or if this board is just WAAAAAY more video game focused than I realize.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

Jim Acosta is the Tami Lahren of the liberal side and he purposefully seeks out these confrontations so he can whine about them in the spotlight later that evening on CNN. I totally disagree with the WH blocking a reporter’s access, but Acosta is an anansi boy.

on the other hand i wish every reporter was doing what he did.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

He asks questions designed to throw Trump off. He also knows that if he gets a question through, Trump can’t resist answering it- no matter the outcome.

That’s why Acosta kept trying to get the question out, because he knew if he could, he’d at the answer.

That’s what reporters do.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Blind Rasputin posted:

What a dumb goddamn post.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lightning Knight posted:

I think it's unlikely she doesn't know what is happening, more that she underestimates the threat. She's not dumb, she's just privileged.

It's amazing how people internalize all these years of Republicans making GBS threads all over Pelosi.

She's any more evil than any other dem in leadership.

She's not a weak leader.

She's certainly not stupid.

Blind Rasputin posted:

lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I 100% don't care if Jim Acosta asks the President, Press Secretary, and White House important questions and pushes them to answer when they don't want to because he has a dedicated love for the truth or because he wants to get attention. Its the right thing so I like that he does it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jaxyon posted:

It's amazing how people internalize all these years of Republicans making GBS threads all over Pelosi.

She's not a weak leader.

I agree with all this, but also her positioning in :decorum: bipartisanship land is the wrong position to take.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

She's not a weak leader.

That's all true, but she's the wrong messenger for this moment in Democratic Party history.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

STAC Goat posted:

Apropos of nothing I've noticed this weird thing where every time a poster I don't recognize starts making GBS threads up a thread I frequent I look at their post history to see if they're usually like that and give them some context and its like all video game threads.

I don't know if its saying something about gamers and my opinions of them or if this board is just WAAAAAY more video game focused than I realize.

i hardly play any video games and you can't prove i do

now if you excuse me, i need to go update my let's play of a management game about bronze age redneck barbarians

actually my tablet's at home, i can't update it just yet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Reporter has press credentials revoked for doing job" should be the headline of every news outlet.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

STAC Goat posted:

SA is mostly videogames, yes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree with all this, but also her positioning in :decorum: bipartisanship land is dumb.

It's her job to say this poo poo, because, as others have said, a bunch of liberal types eat it up.

I am seeing a ton of people who are not politically engaged on social media saying "god I just hope the country can go back to normal I am glad she is saying bipartisan things".

What you say and what you do as a house leader are entirely different things.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

STAC Goat posted:

I 100% don't care if Jim Acosta asks the President, Press Secretary, and White House important questions and pushes them to answer when they don't want to because he has a dedicated love for the truth or because he wants to get attention. Its the right thing so I like that he does it.

Ends, Not Process. ENP

One day I will get people saying that un-ironically in public :allears:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

It's worth noting that none of these MAGA fucks actually believes Jim Acosta assaulted that intern. Not a single one. They're just trying to use that word to make it stick to Acosta so that the next time one of their candidates actually assaults a reporter, they can say, "Reporters are the violent ones and the VIOLENT LEFT stands by them!" That's all.

That's the fun thing about the network effect, the first few degrees away from the fake news everyone knows it is fake. By the time it has seeped into the people 10, 20, 30 degrees away they start 100% believing its true.

So when your relatives brings it up at thanksgiving, they believe it completely even if the people pushing it knew it was false.

STAC Goat posted:

While I don't think its impossible that the Wall (or a symbolic part of it) gets given up for something the Dems consider bigger, I don't think an infrastructure bill is that. That's absolutely not something they could run on and advance the way DACA is/was.

But I also think the time for that may have passed. The Dems were willing to trade the Wall for stuff when they had no leverage. Now they have leverage, an electoral mandate, and an impending 2020 race.

But it has yet to be defined what that mandate is. Investigate Trump, sure but most of them ran on healthcare. What price would Trump want for an ACA fixer bill? I can't imagine a good one. The blue dogs will want something to take home to the voters. Infrastructure seems doable, but a Trump style public-private one would be worse than nothing. So Democrats would have a huge ask and that would demand a huge border-length price.

There's also the very real possibility the senate is too crazy to do a deal that the House could accept. That's a factor to consider.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jaxyon posted:

It's her job to say this poo poo, because, as others have said, a bunch of liberal types eat it up.

I am seeing a ton of people who are not politically engaged on social media saying "god I just hope the country can go back to normal I am glad she is saying bipartisan things".

Sorry, I just don’t care what dipshits on Facebook think about :decorum: and Democrats playing nice with fascists is demoralizing.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Feel like they should be targeting the youth who actually understand poo poo can't be bipartisan rather than really old people who think it can be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

now if you excuse me, i need to go update my let's play of a management game about bronze age redneck barbarians

Please do

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Sorry, I just don’t care what dipshits on Facebook think about :decorum: and Democrats playing nice with fascists is demoralizing.

I mock the poo poo out of those people when I encounter them. I'm just saying why she says that stuff. It plays.

SunAndSpring posted:

Feel like they should be targeting the youth who actually understand poo poo can't be bipartisan rather than really old people who think it can be.

I got some bad news for you about the [white] youth. But yeah they are more likely to "get it" than older ones.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Trabisnikof posted:

That's the fun thing about the network effect, the first few degrees away from the fake news everyone knows it is fake. By the time it has seeped into the people 10, 20, 30 degrees away they start 100% believing its true.

So when your relatives brings it up at thanksgiving, they believe it completely even if the people pushing it knew it was false.

But it has yet to be defined what that mandate is. Investigate Trump, sure but most of them ran on healthcare. What price would Trump want for an ACA fixer bill? I can't imagine a good one. The blue dogs will want something to take home to the voters. Infrastructure seems doable, but a Trump style public-private one would be worse than nothing. So Democrats would have a huge ask and that would demand a huge border-length price.

There's also the very real possibility the senate is too crazy to do a deal that the House could accept. That's a factor to consider.

This is VASTLY smarter than anything Trump would ever do.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i ninja edited a spoiler comment :argh:

it'll go up tonight

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/415500-biden-leads-dem-voters-list-of-potential-2020-contenders-poll

Choices were:
Warren: 4%
Biden: 25%
Bernie: 18%
Booker: 3%
Kamala Harris: 4%
Hillary Clinton: 12%
None of the above: 30%
[X] Can we not do this right now

If they’re taking write-ins anyway

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 8, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Wow, watching that whole "press conference" from this morning was like being fed LSD and then forced to watch a GWAR marathon.

You just have to sit back and let it happen to you.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 8, 2018

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some good news...

Chron posted:

Promise not to kill anyone? After losing election, TX judge wholesale releases juvenile defendants

After losing his bench in a Democratic sweep, Harris County Juvenile Court Judge Glenn Devlin released nearly all of the youthful defendants that appeared in front him on Wednesday morning, simply asking the kids whether they planned to kill anyone before letting them go...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

actually my tablet's at home, i can't update it just yet

I play sports video games almost exclusively and binge occasionally on used RPGs/shooters/whatever I pick up at Gamestop for a couple of bucks so I am to understand that makes me the video game equivalent of a "centrist."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a lot of these people legitimately think acosta assaulted her. their worldview is not informed by reality, their reality is informed by their worldview.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

STAC Goat posted:

I play sports video games almost exclusively and binge occasionally on used RPGs/shooters/whatever I pick up at Gamestop for a couple of bucks so I am to understand that makes me the video game equivalent of a "centrist."

A succ-gamer, if you will?

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Been watching CNN tonight. Interesting that they haven''t gotten on their high horse about it at all during Anderson Cooper, instead doing the same panel with republican assholes that they were always gonna do. Makes you wonder if they're planning legal action.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Well, three problems with that. First of all, she doesn't have to extol the virtues of bipartisanship to make the non-politically engaged people yearning for normalcy, to see the Democrats taking the House as a move towards normalcy. Secondly, in calling for bipartisanship, she risks turning off more potential Democratic voters than she attracts. Thirdly, her behavior over the past couple years hasn't exactly been that of a stolid bulwark against the oncoming tide of fascism. She and Schumer have given way on too many things, and it hasn't paid off for anyone except for Trump.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
If the Democrats cooperate with Trump in any way over the next year than they've learned nothing and deserve to lose in 2020.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
FWIW this is why they're so obsessed with accusing other people of virtue-signalling; everything they do is so fundamentally dishonest, they assume everyone else is equally dishonest too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

This is VASTLY smarter than anything Trump would ever do.

It doesn't require any smarts from Trump at all. Democrats want an infrastructure bill that's not entirely private-public, Trump demands the wall because he loooves the wall. Democrats say yes to get Trump on board with the bill so Senate Republicans have to get on board.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yo, hey:

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1060345581590069248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

STAC Goat posted:

it's goons my dude, we're here exclusively for the video games, everything else is a refreshing break.