Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

I meant for speaker. Oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/1060346567234850816

https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/1060349339653021697

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Lycus posted:

So New Mexico is completely blue.

i'm old enough to remember when NM was a swing state. let's hope CO and NV keep tacking in the right direction

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trabisnikof posted:

The big advantage infrastructure has is that its basically the only way to bring home pork anymore. That can placate a lot of members if you're talking about the federal government spending dollars in their district. Funding California HSR could quell the left wing of the California delegation, and so on. Add on some years of budgets and now we're really talking.

I agree its not why the voters elected any of them, but if the option is bringing home a new bridge or nothing? You might take the bridge and hope that distracts everyone from the wall.

In the first 2 years of a Presidential term? I'd agree. Now? In this context? After these midterms? With this President? With this upcoming Presidential election? Giving Trump the "Wall" so that some senators can run on getting some roads and bridges fixed? That's just national political malfeasance.

I get people have a low opinion of Democrats and their political acumen but like there's just no selling point in that on a national, public scale. "Pork" may be a priority in the political game but its not something they could justify against such a massive symbolic "loss".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 8, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Abrams-Kemp appears on track for run off. :toot:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Substandard posted:

I meant for speaker. Oops!

Would be an awesome message but there is no way in hell it happens.

Beto for DNC chair would actually be pretty good.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Willa Rogers posted:

Medicaid is a single-payer program, and the best (and by far the most popular) part about the ACA.

Would it be fair to characterize Obamacare, as signed into law, as a single-payer expansion?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Xóchitl is like calling someone Lily or Rose or Daisy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lightning Knight posted:

Abrams-Kemp appears on track for run off. :toot:

Kemps steal is probably going to succeed because hellworld but drat if that isn't the most aggravating thing to come out of election night.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Trabisnikof posted:

The big advantage infrastructure has is that its basically the only way to bring home pork anymore. That can placate a lot of members if you're talking about the federal government spending dollars in their district. Funding California HSR could quell the left wing of the California delegation, and so on. Add on some years of budgets and now we're really talking.

I agree its not why the voters elected any of them, but if the option is bringing home a new bridge or nothing? You might take the bridge and hope that distracts everyone from the wall.

Oh, I agree its only a possibility. But it doesn't require brain genius from Trump and it could be tempting for Democrats.

relatedly, i remain fuckin' furious about the death of earmarks

on the plus? side, they increased the polarization of the country, because your average blue dog / red dog could no longer bring home a bunch of cash in exchange for their vote

on the minus side, they dramatically reduced the ability of Congress to actually do poo poo, because your average blue dog / red dog could no longer bring home a bunch of cash in exchange for their vote

also, government spending is good, and trading "government doing things in exchange for questionably useful spending" for "government not doing things in exchange for not having the questionably useful spending" is bad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rinkles posted:

And untangling that mess in a concise way that also doesn't sound like you're just making excuses is usually a Sisyphean task. As if we were from different planets. It's demoralizing.

Well if it helps lift the burden, almost all the studies show its usually counterproductive anyway. Confronting lies with facts often just reinforces belief in the lie.

Instead I find it more cathartic to navigate the values discussion. Then you either find some common ground in values or at least get to be silently righteous knowing that they actually hold evil values and its not just confusion you feel obligated to resolve.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jaxyon posted:

Would be an awesome message but there is no way in hell it happens.

Beto for DNC chair would actually be pretty good.

i still don't hate perez but beto'd probably be better at it than him or ellison

it's on my increasingly long list of things i'd be fine with beto doing

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Quintessential Trump is framing the situation so that anything that would have happened anyway is his fault. If Pelosi loses, it's because of Trump exploiting division like a puppetmaster, and if she stays it's with the assistance of whatever rhetoric Trump is throwing out now. It's how, when he didn't have the presidency, he'd keep the news cycle focused on him by "making" a story. It's best that we ignore him on this and whatever we do about the Democratic leadership, do what's best for the country. By that, I mean voting "I think it's much more important to talk about Russia and Trump's tax returns than what we'll do for the country, but I don't think we should impeach over it" Pelosi out and voting in Rep. Barbara Lee, who was right about the War on Terror from day one, as Speaker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Trabisnikof posted:

Well if it helps lift the burden, almost all the studies show its usually counterproductive anyway. Confronting lies with facts often just reinforces belief in the lie.

Instead I find it more cathartic to navigate the values discussion. Then you either find some common ground in values or at least get to be silently righteous knowing that they actually hold evil values and its not just confusion you feel obligated to resolve.

Yeah I've mostly stopped trying, but it's incredibly frustrating.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The "karate chop" nonsense is falling flat, so what I'm see a lot on Twitter now is: "the White House is the president's home, and if you disrespect a man in his own home, it's okay for him to throw you out!"

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I assume Beto will run for president which is harder as the DNC chair.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
TESTER: An unprecedented amount of money was spent in this race. It was a race that saw the President of the United States come here 4 times, it was a race that saw his son probably come here probably that many times, the Vice President came here three times.

MAN: You beat them all!

(The room cheers. Tester grins and winks.) 12:55

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Lycus posted:

So New Mexico is completely blue.

Not just every congress member and both senators, but every single branch of the state as well. It owns. Turns out not having a lot of white people is a good thing. Santa Fe had a 67% voter turnout, which is higher than the national average.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only reason trump got anywhere is because the right spent decades making their base into reality denying braying hogs and breaking government (perfected by newt). he doesn’t have a strategy it’s just he’s a grandpa whose brain was rotted by Fox News so he’s one of them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean this would be a clever plan if Donald Trump wasn't so publicly lovely and electoral poison to Democratic voters. Trump thinks he's god's gift to the nation and everyone loves him so he doesn't comprehend that associating with him is the quickest way to lose your seat as a D lawmaker. If he were say, Mitt Romney, I'd be afraid this would work.

yeah, basically the only thing uniting the DNC is hating trump. so yeah, that kinda backfires on him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is great news. gently caress the MacArthur amendment.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

There has been some feedback about this one in particular, but anyone else have an opinion about these online "petitions" on the whole? Have they ever done anything ever?

Not generally a fan here. Would love feedback (ignoring your support of Warren or lack thereof, por favor).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Otteration posted:

There has been some feedback about this one in particular, but anyone else have an opinion about these online "petitions" on the whole? Have they ever done anything ever?

Not generally a fan here. Would love feedback (ignoring your support of Warren or lack thereof, por favor).

I think they’re just a method of expanding the email list tbh.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lightning Knight posted:

bingo

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how many confirmed white nationalists were elected/reelected yesterday

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Paracaidas posted:

Would it be fair to characterize Obamacare, as signed into law, as a single-payer expansion?

Not really, but I take issue with Willa's characterization of Medicaid as "single payer." It's hard to come up with a definition for a non-universal (which Medicaid obviously is) single-payer system where the term "single payer" still makes any sense. Medicaid is a government-funded health plan that basically behaves like a single-payer system from the perspective of the end user. So Obamacare wasn't a single-payer expansion, but it does somewhat demonstrate that people would be happy with the benefits a single-payer system would provide.

Just as an anecdote, one of my best friends is on Medicaid (Husky D in CT) and his coverage kicks the ever loving poo poo out of every employer sponsored plan I've ever had. It makes my marketplace plan look like total garbage by comparison. I completely understand why the Medicaid expansion is so popular.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 8, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Relin posted:

a lot, but less than usual

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Relin posted:

count up the republicans.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

obamacare was specifically made to not be single payer

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

goethe.cx posted:

i'm old enough to remember when NM was a swing state. let's hope CO and NV keep tacking in the right direction
Don't want to jinx 2020, but NV right now has 2 Dem Senators, a Dem governor, 3 Dems out of 4 in the house, a Dem supermajority in the state house, and a Dem state senate that's short of a supermajority by one seat that the GOP is winning by 57 votes. I don't know how much bluer it can get.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:d2a:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tommatzzie/status/1060330371471101952

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Every time anyone brings up Beto:

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1060074389473976322?s=19

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Yep, forgot to mention that I figured that much. Any power to these "petitions" in and of themselves though?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Relin posted:

Steve King

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Majorian posted:

Does this game actually exist? If so, which one is it, so I can totally not sink all of my waking hours into it because I'm just that sad of a person?

Six Ages. Glorantha is a fantastically messed up setting. A tribe of Donald Ducks might show up to barter with you.

Do not gently caress with the ducks.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Racist ad used against Andy Kim:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So, what are the news outlets going to do about Acosta? Because if they don't sack up and tell Trump to back off from this or else like they have every other time a President has tried to pull poo poo like this, I'm gonna be pissed. I won't be shocked of Fox doesn't show that professional solidarity they've benefited from in the past when NBC or whatever went to the mat for them, but everyone else loving better.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Otteration posted:

Yep, forgot to mention that I figured that much. Any power to these "petitions" in and of themselves though?

no

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Absolutely true and Abrams and Gillum should both be running for office and be hotshots within the Dems if they don't win their races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sanguinia posted:

So, what are the news outlets going to do about Acosta? Because if they don't sack up and tell Trump to back off from this or else like they have every other time a President has tried to pull poo poo like this, I'm gonna be pissed. I won't be shocked of Fox doesn't show that professional solidarity they've benefited from in the past when NBC or whatever went to the mat for them, but everyone else loving better.

Its such a big news day that even CNN is kind of softplaying it. My guess is they figure they can send Acosta out there tomorrow or the next day and if the White House keeps lying and banning him then its still a story on a slower day.

Like, the proper response from the other outlets should be them all pressing not only as hard as Acosta but ABOUT Acosta. But since we don't do Press Briefings anymore who knows how it plays out?