Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Lollardfish/status/1060353328314490881

Definitely agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Forming alliances to oppose the ever-loving gently caress against the smear of orange poo poo taxation and bridge building plan, .jpg:

https://i.imgur.com/lnbgDNj.jpg

Sorry, working to figure out failures of embedding links.

I blame Stephen King.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 8, 2018

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Do we have a final count of how many Dems will be in the House?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

So, what are the news outlets going to do about Acosta? Because if they don't sack up and tell Trump to back off from this or else like they have every other time a President has tried to pull poo poo like this, I'm gonna be pissed. I won't be shocked of Fox doesn't show that professional solidarity they've benefited from in the past when NBC or whatever went to the mat for them, but everyone else loving better.

they won't do anything, the media is really really bad rn and is sucking up to trump for access so he holds all the cards

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I watch Jake Tapper argue with Scaramucci. Uh... yeah. You ain't accomplishing anything, Tapper.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Its such a big news day that even CNN is kind of softplaying it. My guess is they figure they can send Acosta out there tomorrow or the next day and if the White House keeps lying and banning him then its still a story on a slower day.

Like, the proper response from the other outlets should be them all pressing not only as hard as Acosta but ABOUT Acosta. But since we don't do Press Briefings anymore who knows how it plays out?

Honestly, I think the silence is more likely CNN consulting legal before taking it to air. "Acosta loses press pass" is one thing, but "WH falsely accuses Acosta of assault" is another thing entirely.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1060323530791882753

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Mr Interweb posted:

No, because counting/recounting isn't done, but probably just north of 230.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Would it be fair to characterize Obamacare, as signed into law, as a single-payer expansion?

No. It would be fair to characterize expanded Medicaid as a single-payer expansion.

The fact that one gets free healthcare with no deductibles at $16,500/year income, but one is subject to $7,000/year deductibles if one earns $17,000/year, is an argument to make Medicaid/single-payer universal, not an argument that "our work here is done except for kinda-sorta making drugs cheaper at some point" (which rings hollow given how Dems shot down various drug price controls when they were voted as amendments to the ACA).

I've argued for years in this forum that expanded Medicaid was the unadulterated good of the ACA. Sucks for those not-quite-ultra-poors making $17,000/year, though, who get stuck with deductibles equal to half their annual incomes (or for those who are self-employed or who work ever-changing schedules and have no clue what they're gonna make per month till the month ends).

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Think he'll have Trump campaign for him???

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jaxyon posted:

Absolutely true and Abrams and Gillum should both be running for office and be hotshots within the Dems if they don't win their races.

So where does a young hotshot who just lost statewide election go? Gillum's still got his mayoral office but Abrams and Beto gave up their elected offices in the course of running. Is there a place for them in the DNC? Is that even good for their careers?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The most obvious development of all.

Pakled posted:

So where does a young hotshot who just lost statewide election go? Gillum's still got his mayoral office but Abrams and Beto gave up their elected offices in the course of running. Is there a place for them in the DNC? Is that even good for their careers?

Speaker doesn't have to be a member of the House...

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mr Interweb posted:

Based on NYT's current stats for unfinished races, D's are looking at +34 or +35. The blue favored races are all at ~+1% or more except for one that's at +0.6.

However, out of the R-favored races there are FOUR running at +0.6 or less. Which means that +39 is not impossible. However, at this late state I feel like even super close races like these are unlikely to be wrong. The NJ-3 race just called as an upset against an earlier R victory declaration was listed at D +0.9 by the Times.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Many voting machines were being set aside as evidence in a federal lawsuit that was seeking to have Georgia move to paper ballots.

https://politics.myajc.com/news/sta...2FsEAKESx42TYM/

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

Based on NYT's current stats for unfinished races, D's are looking at +34 or +35. The blue favored races are all at ~+1% or more except for one that's at +0.6.

However, out of the R-favored races there are FOUR running at +0.6 or less. Which means that +39 is not impossible. However, at this late state I feel like even super close races like these are unlikely to be wrong. The NJ-3 race just called as an upset against an earlier R victory declaration was listed at D +0.9 by the Times.

With some recent calls I think +36 might be the floor right now.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Are there ways to wedge Trumpists against Alabama Republicans loyal to Jeff?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

How will Alabama chuds vote? For the evil traitor to Dear Leader or for the Democrat?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A Sessions / Roy Moore primary would be extremely excellent

Moore would win too

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

Are there ways to wedge Trumpists against Alabama Republicans loyal to Jeff?

Trump fired Sessions for *reasons* that freep, et al are probably already scuttling together might be a start?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FizFashizzle posted:

The most obvious development of all.

Speaker doesn't have to be a member of the House...

I think it would be fine to have a figureheadish "face of the party" Speaker while Pelosi runs the caucus as Majority Leader.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

How will Alabama chuds vote? For the evil traitor to Dear Leader or for the Democrat?

Sessions was super-popular as a Senator and loved by the party, so I suspect he'd be an easy win.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mcmagic posted:

If it's a three-way race with Sessions and a Trumpist Republican, Jones could get a plurality?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Niwrad posted:

With some recent calls I think +36 might be the floor right now.
- +35 if they win everything they're up in right now.
- +36 if ME-02 flips (-0.5% GOP lead with 85% counted, it's been going back and forth with each return).
- +37 if there's uncounted ballots in GA-07 that break for the Dems

Not sure where anything beyond that would come from.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lycus posted:

I think it would be fine to have a figureheadish "face of the party" Speaker while Pelosi runs the caucus as Majority Leader.

But Speaker is generally one of the five most hated politicians in the country and is basically the end of your political career.

Neither Abrams or Gillum are probably willing to torpedo themselves on a national stage.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mcmagic posted:

i dunno, how would you vote if Manchin were teleported to your state

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

farraday posted:

No, because counting/recounting isn't done, but probably just north of 230.

Sanguinia posted:

Cool, thanks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Brony Car posted:

Sessions was super-popular as a Senator and loved by the party, so I suspect he'd be an easy win.

He might not win a primary.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

"The Constitution does not require the Speaker to be an elected member of the House of Representatives, although every Speaker thus far has been."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

What figurehead do you propose?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

How old will Sessions be in 2020, anyway? Is he gonna be another of those John McCain "literally pry my melting corpse out of my seat post-mortem" cases?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Absolutely true and Abrams and Gillum should both be running for office and be hotshots within the Dems if they don't win their races.

If we're talking President, I think the knock on Abrams and Gillum are that they never held a federal office from what I remember. Beto at least was in Congress for a few years. Although maybe none of that matters anymore considering we elected a reality TV star.

I think it's cool that we have a bunch of new faces on the national scene who people seem to really like. Abrams would actually be a really good choice to chair the DNC because Tom Perez sucks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Apraxin posted:

- +36 if ME-02 flips (-0.5% GOP lead with 85% counted, it's been going back and forth with each return).

Also,Maine implemented RCV this year so those 3rd party votes could be passed to the Dems.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

He might not win a primary.

Alabama loves a good ol' boy. His record speaks for itself and I think Trump would leave that primary alone.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1060345582756147201

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Willa Rogers posted:

No. It would be fair to characterize expanded Medicaid as a single-payer expansion.

The fact that one gets free healthcare with no deductibles at $16,500/year income, but one is subject to $7,000/year deductibles if one earns $17,000/year, is an argument to make Medicaid/single-payer universal, not an argument that "our work here is done except for kinda-sorta making drugs cheaper at some point" (which rings hollow given how Dems shot down various drug price controls when they were voted as amendments to the ACA).

I've argued for years in this forum that expanded Medicaid was the unadulterated good of the ACA. Sucks for those not-quite-ultra-poors making $17,000/year, though, who get stuck with deductibles equal to half their annual incomes (or for those who are self-employed or who work ever-changing schedules and have no clue what they're gonna make per month till the month ends).
So expanding Medicaid in an environment that still permits private insurance is a single-payer expansion. Obamacare, which expanded Medicaid in an environment that still permits private insurance, is not a single-payer expansion.

Paradoxish posted:

Not really, but I take issue with Willa's characterization of Medicaid as "single payer." It's hard to come up with a definition for a non-universal (which Medicaid obviously is) single-payer system where the term "single payer" still makes any sense. Medicaid is a government-funded health plan that basically behaves like a single-payer system from the perspective of the end user. So Obamacare wasn't a single-payer expansion, but it does somewhat demonstrate that people would be happy with the benefits a single-payer system would provide.
Yeah, we're on the same page, just trying to understand her usage. After some thought, it's much more aptly described as a meanstested Public Option. Or, you know, Medicaid.

Niwrad posted:

I think it's cool that we have a bunch of new faces on the national scene who people seem to really like. Abrams would actually be a really good choice to chair the DNC because Tom Perez sucks.
I know, right? What have you done for me lately?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Niwrad posted:

If we're talking President, I think the knock on Abrams and Gillum are that they never held a federal office from what I remember. Beto at least was in Congress for a few years. Although maybe none of that matters anymore considering we elected a reality TV star.

I'd actually say there's a meaningful difference here. Setting aside that Trump is Trump, an outsider running as an outsider is in a much different position than a career politician who just lacks [x] or [y] experience. Insiders can't credibly run as outsiders, and the whole point of outsider campaigns is that you get to turn those disadvantages into advantages.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Apraxin posted:

California's still got some outstanding races that could be Dem pickups.

538 just put out an article here on all the races that haven't been called yet.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mystery solved:
https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1060345525273288704

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
one thing, the economy is already teetering and any small shock in the global market will send it down in a spiral. Dumbass in chief doing sanctions, tearing up treaties and everything else under the sun has done wonders to prep a whole bunch of timebombs to go off at once if the market downturn starts up. And a ton of his support in the rust belt is based on the idea that he has brought jobs back, he has the economy square on his shoulders and a downturn would wreck that image.

Already some of the big manufacturing bases like GE are hitting a downturn, that can be indicative of other parts of the economy starting to slow. (GE also has put themselves into a horrid spot by very dumb ideas mind you)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/ChrisWarcraft/status/1060362721932111873

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

I think they’re just a method of expanding the email list tbh.

They absolutely are. But they also work to find something that people care about.

I’m uncertain as to the effectiveness of protesting tomorrow. Whitaker is clearly another one of the Trump loyalists, and the last few years have taught Republicans a very toxic lesson: if you don’t have shame, no one can hurt you. That’s what they decided with the tax cut, with Kavanaugh, and now with Mueller related stuff. If you’ve decided you can live with yourself exercising raw power at the expense of all else, then there’s nothing for you to fear. Because even if they lose, they have patrons. They’ll never starve. They’ll never sleep in their cars. They’ll die in peace, in comfort, and never in introspection.

I don’t know what it’s going to take for huge swaths of Americans to change the state of play to that degree. The best I’ve got is helping the street level suck less. Anything else, and we’re getting Lowtax another house call.