Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Didn't they do that in another state in 2016 when a Democrat won? This is an all-too-familiar play from them.

They did it to Roy Cooper(NC). Republicans are the most pathetic sore losers ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Speaking of sore losers:

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/1060332691143491584?s=21

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

https://twitter.com/patrickdmarley/status/1060301509584404480?s=21

Well the euphoria didn't last long here... gently caress.

Wait, I'm confused as to how this works. They can just stop a Governor elect from being sworn in?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nobody has any idea what this means.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

Wait, I'm confused as to how this works. They can just stop a Governor elect from being sworn in?

No, they just want to gut the ability of the governor to do anything.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

BigDave posted:

They're talking about moving power out of the Governors hands and into the state assembly to prevent the awful hellfucker democrat from possibly accomplishing anything to make peoples lives better.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BigDave posted:

They basically want to rewrite the rules so that a governor now has less powers than he had when the seat was filled by a Republican. This would be the second time this has happened.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Meanwhile Maryland has been ordered to undo its pro-dem gerrymander

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Meanwhile Maryland has been ordered to undo its pro-dem gerrymander

Good. All gerrymandering is bad.

Now let’s do the rest of the states.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Remember Jon Ossoff and the GA-6 debacle?

Looks like Democrats just needed a woman to kick it over the finish line. 50.5 to 49.5.

https://twitter.com/UpshotNYT/status/1060245263351050241?s=19

That's awesome because Handel is a huge piece of poo poo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Apparently moveon.org triggered their protest alert. The replacement of Rod Rosenstein did it. Tomorrow at 5 nationwide apparently. I think its rolling and not simultaneous.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Soulex posted:

Apparently moveon.org triggered their protest alert. The replacement of Rod Rosenstein did it. Tomorrow at 5 nationwide apparently. I think its rolling and not simultaneous.

Was Rod outed or just replaced in the role of oversight?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

AFAIK just replaced as overseer of the Mueller investigation by the now Acting AG.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Casimir Radon posted:

They did it to Roy Cooper(NC). Republicans are the most pathetic sore losers ever.

They're still trying to whittle away at the governor's powers. We just had two constitutional amendment ballot initiatives that would limit his ability to appoint judges and election board members. Luckily those failed, but they'll still try to gently caress with the governorship as much as they can.

Till they win it back and undo all those rules. God NC can be so loving stupid sometimes.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

That Works posted:

That's awesome because Handel is a huge piece of poo poo

In hindsight running a dork who campaigned on balancing the budget was insanely stupid, but it was the most 2016 dems move possible

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

No. Sessions resigning took the AG recusal with him. New guy is in charge now and Rosenstein is out of the loop.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Allegedly there's rumors of Rosenstein resigning this week but that's every week so probably not.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Got an email from the event coordinator so I guess its definitely gonna happen.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/shahed/status/1060200569590214656?s=21

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Casimir Radon posted:

No. Sessions resigning took the AG recusal with him. New guy is in charge now and Rosenstein is out of the loop.

This is good, finally the AG will be fair to trump

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

quote:

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Democrat Andy Kim has claimed victory after a very tight race in New Jersey’s 3rd Congressional District, but Republican incumbent Tom MacArthur is not ready to concede.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/11/07/new-jerseys-third-congressional-district/

quote:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Democrat Xochitl Torres Small has taken the lead in New Mexico's 2nd Congressional District race.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico-news/xochitl-torres-small-takes-lead-in-2nd-congressional-district-race/5137351/

Votes still being counted in both races.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

unfortunately the dean of the house swears in new congresspeople

but still funny to think about

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Vasudus posted:

unfortunately the dean of the house swears in new congresspeople

but still funny to think about

Yeah I was profoundly disappointed when someone pointed that out in the twitter thread.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Yeah I was profoundly disappointed when someone pointed that out in the twitter thread.

i'm lame enough to know that offhand

it's a great shame

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I imagine Pence would burst into flames if he did have to swear them in though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

Pence Death Rally

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

orange juche posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There's a brewing Navy SEALs investigation into war crimes, with at least 2 charged already. One of the charged is turning to this fine charity for legal help:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Local papers are treating Torres Small as final. NM-2 just flipped blue. After the Republican gave her victory speech last night too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

There's a brewing Navy SEALs investigation into war crimes, with at least 2 charged already. One of the charged is turning to this fine charity for legal help:

For a moment I thought it was :mcnally: on the right.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lol that would be too good

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Crakkerjakk posted:

Local papers are treating Torres Small as final. NM-2 just flipped blue. After the Republican gave her victory speech last night too.

It's beautiful seeing these rural states turn blue. Reminds me of whenever CHUDs show the electoral college map with the huge swaths of red. There are sensible people in all parts of the country.

Montana had an interesting midterm. Its sole congressional district was won by Gianforte (the bodyslammer) with 243K to 218K, but the Senate seat went to Tester with 237K to 223K. Looks like Gianforte was a more convincing candidate than Rosendale, or that Tester's proved himself with his past record.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Suicide Watch posted:

It's beautiful seeing these rural states turn blue. Reminds me of whenever CHUDs show the electoral college map with the huge swaths of red. There are sensible people in all parts of the country.

Montana had an interesting midterm. Its sole congressional district was won by Gianforte (the bodyslammer) with 243K to 218K, but the Senate seat went to Tester with 237K to 223K. Looks like Gianforte was a more convincing candidate than Rosendale, or that Tester's proved himself with his past record.

NM-1 and 3 are heavily Democrat, and to me the flipping of NM-2 is huge.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Talking about the Maryland congressional map gerrymandering, I dug into it a little bit more and

The offending part is that bottom orange area towards DC which was added to district 6 in 2011, which if iirc what I just read removed 66k gop voters and added 22k dem voters to the district. This is also why dems have held that district since it was redrawn (including yesterday). If you believe in actual democracy I can assure you just from knowing the state that a democrat is absolutely not the majority of that western orange blobs first choice to represent them (unless I'm really pleasantly surprised some day).

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Suicide Watch posted:

I mean, it was mostly increased turnout in the one big city down there, I think. Typically turnout there was pretty low, but no incumbent + Trump's racism in a pretty heavily Hispanic state drove turnout enough for it to get across the line. But aside from Cruces, that district is mostly Northwest Texas. Harrell was a pro-trump dipshit, Pearce before her repeatedly won reelection as a member of the HFC.

The way this sticks is if people keep turning out. Not (mostly) because the people who showed up in the past changed their minds.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Talking about the Maryland congressional map gerrymandering, I dug into it a little bit more and

Just look at MD3. Interrupted districts should be a loving crime.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

FrozenVent posted:

Just look at MD3. Interrupted districts should be a loving crime.

MD-3 isn't interrupted! The current, stupid standard is that the districts have to be connected, like they can be drawn without lifting your pencil.

If you squint REALLY HARD, you'll see the connections!

Both parties gerrymander the gently caress out of everything, it's just that our current gerrymandered maps are a consequence of Republicans in control of most poo poo around the 2010 timeframe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

maybe the problem isn't where the districts are drawn but that they exist at all

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In a just world I wouldn't consider bodies of water to be interruptions. If some good algorithm grouped both sides of a river, or hell, even something as separated as Hampton Roads + Virginia Beach, fine. As long as the map is done mathematically and comes out seeming reasonably fairly divided.

My favorite is where you put nodes at the local population maxima and use a graph algorithm that flows down roads weighting major roads and locally known regions to clump equivalent numbers of voters. But I'm sure someone who actually knows this poo poo will tell me why thats a terrible algorithm and there are better ones that I haven't heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

someone should sell jigsaw puzzles based on how gerrymandered some states are