Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If we come out of last night with 37 seats in the House and “only” losing 2 seats in the Senate then sorry, it was a legit Wave.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1060360046155087872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Is the Arizona Senate race still realistically too close to call? I saw a 17,000 vote advantage for the Republican, but I don't know how current that is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Is the Arizona Senate race still realistically too close to call? I saw a 17,000 vote advantage for the Republican, but I don't know how current that is.

There’s still hundreds of thousands of votes to count. Not sure if they’re provisional or absentee ballots or what but supposedly they’re from Dem areas so things look hopeful for Sinema.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Brony Car posted:

Last I heard we won't have any significant number updates until 5pm local time tomorrow. That'll be when they release a wave of the outstanding ballot count.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Polybius91 posted:

I mentioned to someone I'd gone canvassing and donated money to close races this year. They told me I'd wasted my time and that I was blinded by Cold War propaganda for believing there was any point to participating in American democracy, then said that I was delusional for thinking I could "prevent the upcoming civil war." When I asked what they'd done to advance left wing causes, they didn't answer, nor at any point did they give me any specifics about what I should actually be doing instead.

That was a fun conversation.

But enough about C-SPAM...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Brony Car posted:

There’s like 800k votes left

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If we come out of last night with 37 seats in the House and “only” losing 2 seats in the Senate then sorry, it was a legit Wave.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1060360046155087872

its because this place is full of cynical grognards(like me). we could have magicaly won all 100 seats in the senate because calvinball and this thread would still be pissed. I am happy with how we did and i am glad trump is loving shook.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Polybius91 posted:

When I asked what they'd done to advance left wing causes, they didn't answer

Because it takes a long, long time to explain the finer nuances of "Be on the internet a lot" and "discuss which of the high profile technical jobs you'll get as a post-revolution labor appointment"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Brony Car posted:

Literally a third of the vote hasn't been counted, approx 600k votes. AZ is being AZ about it, we might not know who won until next week.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FWIW Nate Silver is projecting Sinema to pull it out in AZ.

holysherm
Feb 14, 2016
Ask me about my undying love for Derek Jeter.

Retro42 posted:

It baffles me that Baldwin won by ~11% and Evers only won by ~1.2%. I mean, I know it’s Wisconsin(born there) but how do you vote a Baldwin/Walker ticket?!

Both incumbents...probably low information voters voting for the two people whose names they recognized.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I just wish I could trust that WA-08 was done. I can't trust that that tumor of a gerrymander isn't going to cause something bad to happen.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

AMERICA DECIDES, 2020!
I have been advised by my lawyer to refrain from any statements regarding oral sex, donkeys, and mods. He also informed me that it was 10 "o'loving" clock and that he's "billing a full 15 minutes for this internet bullshit".

Thanks Vinnie.

Anyway, reminder of the key points from my last post:

quote:

What's up for election, 2020:
    The Presidency (the only one most of you will care about)
    The entire House of Representatives (Yes, it happens literally every two years. All of it)
    33 Class 2 Senators and John McCain's Senator seat
    11 Governors
    A Lot Of Other Stuff (AGs, state legislatures, territorial governors, ect)
In reality, only 5 of these states should actually 'matter' on election night - Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina & Michigan. This list might be pretty different in 2 years, but those would be your 'core' swing states. FL, PA, and OH have been the swing state trifecta for 20 years now, while North Carolina was a pick-up by Obama and Michigan was a pick-up by Trump.
In the recent elections where a Democrat won the presidency (2008 & 2012), the Democratic party has gained an average of 14.5 seats. The 2008 election could be particularly instructive - as the unpopular George Bush left office, the democrats gained 21 seats, for a total of 257. However, in years where the Republican candidate won (2000, 2004 & 2016), the Democrats gained an average of 1.3 seats. In the their worst presidential election year, the Democrats lost only 6 seats. So it's unlikely that Republicans will pick up the 12 to 22 seats they'll need to take control in 2020, regardless of how well Trump performs.
And a comment from EvilWeasel:

evilweasel posted:

Wisconsin is much more important than Ohio. If Dems take back Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania while losing Ohio (and don't lose any Clinton states) they win and that's their easiest path to the White House.

So let's discuss Senate and Governor races!

Senate Elections
Most of this is repeated from the midterm thread, so feel free to skip this if you read that post.

Most important than individual senators is controlling the Senate leadership. In addition to passing laws and budgets with the House, the Senate has a unique role of confirming presidential nominees. Presidential nominations cover a wide range of positions in the Executive and Judicial branch - everything from ambassadors, to Attorney General, to district judges, to the Supreme Court Justices. Being the Senate Majority Leader basically gives you a soft veto over those nominees - don't like a nominee? Don't hold a vote.
Each state has 2 senators, and senators serve 6 year terms. As a result, a third of the Senate is up for each election. In addition, winning control of the Senate requires defending Democratic seats and flipping Republican seats. As a result, parties have "good" and "bad" maps - good maps have lots of Senate seats that can be flipped in your favor, while bad maps have a lot of Senate seats you need to defend. 2020 is a Class 2 year. Currently, that class is split as follows: 12 Democrat, 21 Republican. You also got one special election in Arizona, currently held by a Republican. But just because a seat is up for election doesn't mean anyone is seriously running for it. How many are competitive?

The Republicans will have to hold seats in Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Maine, Kentucky, Montana and North Carolina. The Democrats will need to defend Alabama and New Hampshire.

As you all saw with 2018, two years can be a hell of a long time. As it stands today, I would say that Alabama is a likely Republican pick-up. So, assuming that the Democrats defend New Hampshire, Democrats still need to pick up 5 seats to control the Senate (assuming a Democratic Vice-President). Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Cory Gardner (R-CO), Susan Collins (R-ME), and Thom Tillis (R-NC) would be my early bets for vulnerable seats. After that... Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has attracted a lot of negative attention, and the Republican party seems to be waning in Kentucky. Joni Ernst (R-IA) and David Perdue (R-GA) could also be on the chopping block.

As a brief tangent. Look at those seats, notice anything? None of those seats are obvious seats the Democrats "should" win. Here's my huge issue with some posters in this thread - the Dems have been good. They have been amazing at competing in every competitive Senate election, every year. And as a result, you get this situation where, because the Democrats couldn't defend North Dakota and couldn't flip loving Tennessee, they need to run the tables on states like Arizona and North Carolina. This is why Senators like Manchin are so drat important. Unhappy with how Gorsuch has voted? Apprehensive about Kavanaugh? You need Manchin, you wanted Bredesen, and you're praying for someone who can compete in Kentucky, or Georgia, or Iowa. Let's just say that you're not going to get a Cory Booker in Iowa. There just isn't a path for Senate control that doesn't rely on states that voted (and will vote) for Trump. But the local politicians in those states can theoretically outperform the Presidential candidate.

Point is, winning 4 seats in 2020 is going to be a real uphill battle. But unlike the 2018 map, the Democrats will be the ones in an aggressive position where they're attacking vulnerable Republican seats and forcing Mitch to defend his majority. I wouldn't put money on a Democratic Senate in 2020, but I'd much rather be in their shoes than trying to defend 8 or 9 seats. Add in the Trump Factor and you've got a potentially dramatic night ahead.

Governor Elections
There are 11 states with Governor elections in 2020, 4 held by Democrats:
DE, MT, NC, WA
and 7 held by Republicans:
IN, MO, NH, ND, UT, VT, WV

Every incumbent besides Steve Bullock (D-MT) is eligible for re-election, although Gary Herbert (R-UT) has announced his retirement.

Honestly, every state is so weird, and the power invested in the governor in each state is so different, and the race in each state is going to be so uniquely local that it's impossible to talk about generalities. Most the governors were first elected in 2016.

Since I'm planning to talk about each state's races in detail, I'll probably go into the governor's race there. Generally, though, making or breaking trifectas at the state level won't be as important in 2020, because the redistricting I mentioned in the House of Representatives will have already happened. That said, Roy Cooper (R-NC) will be important.

Which state do people want me to discuss first?
    North Carolina (Senate seat, Governor, potential swing state)
    Colorado (Senate seat, potential swing state)
    New Hampshire (Senate seat, governor, potential swing state)

Or demand another state if you'd like, I'll probably go through all of them until I either get banned or get bored.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has he talked about his ridiculous loving live model yet? That poo poo was almost negligent.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1060374680991883265

'Clearly documented.'

:thunk:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Retro42 posted:

It baffles me that Baldwin won by ~11% and Evers only won by ~1.2%. I mean, I know it’s Wisconsin(born there) but how do you vote a Baldwin/Walker ticket?!

Your guess is as good as mine! :shrug:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's fantastic if true. That means we effectively gained 2 but lost 4 right? Unless I am missing one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

That's fantastic if true. That means we effectively gained 2 but lost 4 right? Unless I am missing one.

Yes, it would be a net loss of 2 seats.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol. i love how deep we are in hellworld.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
So what's the TL;DR of what's going on in Georgia and whether there will be a runoff?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I hope the rumors that Sanders is bailing before the new Congressional term are true. I’m just tired of it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TulliusCicero posted:

Gained NV and AZ, lost FL, ND, MO, IN

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Gained NV and AZ, lost FL, ND, MO, IN

Nelson is the killer. Especially by 30,000 votes. At least the others were blowouts that won’t keep you up at night.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it was a legit Wave.

A terrific wave. We have the best waves.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TulliusCicero posted:

So Dems either need to pick up 5 senators in 2020, or 4 and have the vice president basically live in the capitol. Doable.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah, afaik, the flips are:
- Dem to GOP: MO (McCaskill), FL (Nelson), ND (Heitkamp), IN (Donnely)
- GOP to Dem: NV (Rosen > Heller), possibly AZ (Sinema > McSally)

So -2 isn't great, but way less catastrophic than -4.

e: beaten

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So the GOP traded 2 Senate seats for the entire House? And McConnell is trying to spin that as a victory?

Quite the victory there Mitch! :thumbsup:

Isn't Nelson going to a recount? Lol if Nelson wins and the GOP picked up a single seat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Hillary were President we would have lost seats in the House and had like a net -6 seats in the Senate. So there’s that.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
If the media had a shred of courage they would boycott anything SHS has anything to do with until she resigns and Acosta is reinstated.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mahoning posted:

What exactly makes him “conservative”? Or are you just being hyperbolic?

I’m genuinely curious since, as mentioned, he is a founding member of the Medicare For All Caucus and years ago shed any Blue Dog positions. The only thing you can maybe argue is that he’s against free trade, which...so is Sherrod Brown and he’s one of the most progressive members of the senate.

He was a Manchin-style pro-union conservative for over a decade, and suddenly started rapidly turning left over the last couple of years, likely due to his own leadership ambitions and the total decimation of the conservative Dems in the House. Like, "founding member of the Medicare for All Caucus" sounds great, but the Medicare For All Caucus has 70 founding members and was founded a whopping three and a half months ago.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Well yeah, that weird lady just came up out of nowhere and started harassing that guy.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What’s this I hear about Nelson and Gillum not being technically out yet?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TulliusCicero posted:

So the GOP traded 2 Senate seats for the entire House? And McConnell is trying to spin that as a victory?

Quite the victory there Mitch! :thumbsup:
It likely puts the Senate out of Democratic hands until 2022 at the earliest.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The thing is that it doesn't matter. Only the dumbest of the dumb on the right actually believes he did anything to her, but the narrative is there and the Trumpkins will cling to it until their final, oxygen-starved breath.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

This is the weirdest loving thing.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I don't get what I'm supposed to be seeing here. She's taking his microphone?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. i love how deep we are in hellworld.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1060334166083059712

Fortunately that's not the sound of a lot of love and kisses being twitted to his orange fecal mass in the background of WH audio.

Move on, the next thing is at hand.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Tibalt posted:

It likely puts the Senate out of Democratic hands until 2022 at the earliest.
Someone find the actuary table that shows, statistically speaking, at least one of the Justices on the Supreme Court is going to die before 2022, tia.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The same Nate Silver who predicted the odds of a Democratic House at 51% and surrendered West Point to the hated British? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

What’s this I hear about Nelson and Gillum not being technically out yet?

Gillum is toast, but if Nelson closes the gap just a bit more and gets within .25% (currently 0.4%) then we go to a Hand Recount, and the tiniest chance emerges.

However, most likely is that this merely goes to Machine Recount, and Nelson is almost certainly hosed.