Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

OmegaBR posted:

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?!

So much needless, drawn out exposition. I like feelin' the Bern at the Satanic church, I like the bowl cut boys, but did we need another 40+ minutes dedicated to how the down and out son of the devil got his robot? You could have done it in 10! ANOTHER kindly old woman devil worshiper to raise him up? Just have him be disgusted with the losers at the congregation, why not?

Michael can't resurrect Mead because Cordelia has a double secret probation spell. And he was ready to kill himself and forget his vendetta over it.

With episode 8 wasting all this time to get to the robot and reveal Venable as a sort of Mercy Graves to Captain Kangaroo's millennial grandsons, one would think they'll use episode 9 to establish the Cooperative, turn the school into the bunker, kill some witches, reveal the politics that caused the bombs to drop, etc. Leaving the final episode to finally shoot back to the bunker, where Chanel #3 unlocks her true power, and Coco defeats Satan with gluten-filled holy wafers.

The dullness of this episode really stands out with the lack of fanservice. As goofy and awful as it tends to be, at least things are happening worth making fun of.

Gotta bring Cult back into this! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Cordelia: You're undone and defeated, son of the devil. Give up and be redeemed.
Michael: gently caress you I won't do what you tell me
Cordelia: Welp, okay, I'll just let you gently caress off to develop a plan to execute your revenge. See you later!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
At this point I wonder if it's going to be two seasons to tell the story

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

OAquinas posted:

The Papa Legba request was out of his normal range, yeah, but the ask was also rather steep--Satan is apparently real and a Big Deal, and his kid has been loosed upon the world. Entrapping that kid would probably have blowback on him--or at least be some sort of strain/inconvenience.

Thinking about this, it makes a lot of sense. I could see him wanting to save the world for his own ends, but its a lot of risk either way. That offer to Cordelia would give him an excuse and then an army of helpers to defend himself against the blowback.

OmegaBR posted:

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?!

So much needless, drawn out exposition. I like feelin' the Bern at the Satanic church, I like the bowl cut boys, but did we need another 40+ minutes dedicated to how the down and out son of the devil got his robot? You could have done it in 10! ANOTHER kindly old woman devil worshiper to raise him up? Just have him be disgusted with the losers at the congregation, why not?

Yeah, this was another slow, largely redundant episode. I feel like this week and last week could have been combined into a single, much better episode. I will say I really liked the part where God is presenting the son of Satan with temptation as he wandered and fasted and doubted.

But really the best part was the cute little snakes exploding from the severed neck of the demon goat.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Really enjoyed the Black Phillip cameo, but I feel like this should be a 12 or 13-episode season for where we are: aren't there only two left?

Strangely, I don't mind that the plot is still so meandering: it still feels like they are throwing spaghetti at the wall ala Asylum, but I guess they are doing a better job of weaving the new plots/characters into the story. Despite the fact that it was a pointless, 25-minute Silicon Valley parody with the Mop Top Twins, I actually enjoyed them. Sure, they could have crammed that all into 1 act, but more Bill Eichner is always welcome.
:shrug:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Doltos posted:

At this point I wonder if it's going to be two seasons to tell the story

I'm expecting this season to only jump back to present in the last episode, whereupon Supreme-Mallory will kill Michael and then un-make the apocalypse or something, since she's been shown to be strong enough to undo just about anything with minimal, if any, damage to herself (unlike Cordelia completely roasting her arm to bring back Myrtle).

However it ends at this point, unless there's a second season of entirely present-day witches vs Antichrist, it'll probably feel really anticlimactic though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Ryan Reynolds sure is loving alot of satanists.

Just on Thursdays. I guess today was Ryan Reynolds day for satanists.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Cordelia: You're undone and defeated, son of the devil. Give up and be redeemed.
Michael: gently caress you I won't do what you tell me
Cordelia: Welp, okay, I'll just let you gently caress off to develop a plan to execute your revenge. See you later!

That whole scene could have been infinitely better if it was revealed she had a trap waiting, tried to spring it and he just teleported away since he's established as being able to do that very well.

Hard to corner a guy who can appear anywhere instantly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Or him just shrugging off whatever they threw at him as he angstily walked away.

This much filler this late in the season makes me worried that they don't have anything left. We're not going to see the sanctuary or any more cool post apocalyptic stuff, just witchfall and Mallory supremacy surprise Coco saving the day.

I'm a big fan of Coven 2, but I feel like they wasted the apocalypse setting.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This might be an odd question but what is the name of the opera the Satan choir was singing and are the lyrics specifically about Hell or something? It’s used in every apocalypse/Satan based media ever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Or him just shrugging off whatever they threw at him as he angstily walked away.

This much filler this late in the season makes me worried that they don't have anything left. We're not going to see the sanctuary or any more cool post apocalyptic stuff, just witchfall and Mallory supremacy surprise Coco saving the day.

I'm a big fan of Coven 2, but I feel like they wasted the apocalypse setting.

Yeah me too. It's been a fun season but I wanted more wasteland adventures so this is kind of a disappointing thing.

I thought it was a 12 episode season until I read this thread.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

This might be an odd question but what is the name of the opera the Satan choir was singing and are the lyrics specifically about Hell or something? It’s used in every apocalypse/Satan based media ever.

No, it's a song based on the poem O Fortuna, which is about addressing the Roman god Fortuna in regards to one's fate. There's nothing satanic about it. The song by Carl Orff just goes well with all kinds of war scenes in movies or whatever else matches with the style, so it's used a lot.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

No, it's a song based on the poem O Fortuna, which is about addressing the Roman god Fortuna in regards to one's fate. There's nothing satanic about it. The song by Carl Orff just goes well with all kinds of war scenes in movies or whatever else matches with the style, so it's used a lot.

Thank you!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone else wish they had just stayed with the apocalypse stuff? I thought that had some real promise.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

CODChimera posted:

Anyone else wish they had just stayed with the apocalypse stuff? I thought that had some real promise.

Yup, me too. It's had a few good moments but other than that it just drags along. I feel like there's quite a lot that just doesn't click for me, maybe because I'm a straight white European so I miss a lot of references. Like I could do without that 10 minute song a couple of episodes ago. It's one of those cultural references I simply don't get. No idea who the singer was, no idea why she was even there, and Coven's been too long ago for me to remember what her part was in that.

I liked the last episode though, but I don't really remember the one before that except for the ending and I think I didn't miss much.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Taeke posted:

Yup, me too. It's had a few good moments but other than that it just drags along. I feel like there's quite a lot that just doesn't click for me, maybe because I'm a straight white European so I miss a lot of references. Like I could do without that 10 minute song a couple of episodes ago. It's one of those cultural references I simply don't get. No idea who the singer was, no idea why she was even there, and Coven's been too long ago for me to remember what her part was in that.

Don't worry, most Americans are in the same boat.

My knowledge of Stevie Nicks is "Oh I remember her from the Heavy Metal soundtrack and GTA5's Rock Radio." I remember her from Coven since the cameo was equally grating.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CODChimera posted:

Yep. This whole season is Coven part 2 right now after starting off as something different.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

Yep. This whole season is Coven part 2 right now after starting off as something different.

I'd been down for an AHS season that's just wasteland guy going from place to place, finding hosed up things and shooting them with a shotgun.

I don't know why they can't ever wind down a season right though. I thought we were on a good track to hit a final episode at 12, but 10 means they are once again going to have to suddenly scramble to stick the landing.

American Horror Story. American Horror Story never changes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

In retrospect I wish we got a standalone apocalypse story and then did a coven 2/Apocalypse 2 season next year.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

In retrospect I wish we got a standalone apocalypse story and then did a coven 2/Apocalypse 2 season next year.

They'd probably had that Coven spin-off series if the first Coven was as competent as this one, disappointments about the apocalypse be damned.

I'm really not sure what happened the last few seasons but it seems the creators really took a lot of the negative reactions from earlier seasons and really tried to fix them up. Hell, this season has been a good epilogue for two other seasons, which is crazy.

ED: I am sort of disappointed the Asylum alien babies never figured into this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 4, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm all for ragging on Stevie Nicks showing up, but she has more fans than most European countries have citizens so :shrug:

Blazing Ownager posted:

They'd probably had that Coven spin-off series if the first Coven was as competent as this one, disappointments about the apocalypse be damned.

I'm really not sure what happened the last few seasons but it seems the creators really took a lot of the negative reactions from earlier seasons and really tried to fix them up. Hell, this season has been a good epilogue for two other seasons, which is crazy.

ED: I am sort of disappointed the Asylum alien babies never figured into this.

There's still two episodes... :nallears:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The aliens show up, everyone sings Name Game, and the world resets into Popular Season Three.

Make it happen.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This season has pretty much entirely fallen off the map, which is a shame.
HOWEVER this thread made me watch Scream Queens, and it is legitimately awesome.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If all the rich oligarchs are satanists, does that mean Coco's parents were probably satanists too? They had private jet money.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I would love to experience a genuine "gently caress you" finale episode - truly the worst one purposely designed to lose your entire viewership - and i hope that it happens with this season

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Blazing Ownager posted:

Don't worry, most Americans are in the same boat.

My knowledge of Stevie Nicks is "Oh I remember her from the Heavy Metal soundtrack and GTA5's Rock Radio." I remember her from Coven since the cameo was equally grating.

what kinda lameos do you roll with who don't know who fleetwood mac is ??? smdh

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
You could chalk it up to poor time management. Arguably every season has had a happy family-oriented ending, and to reach that ending, it requires a lot of things to just sort of happen all at once. There have definitely been time skips in the past, but ultimately serve only to wave away all the loose ends. Bad guys get defeated handily, while other bad guys are just sort of accepted for who they are and quarrels are resolved due to their ultimate plight (which usually ends up being everyone's dead/stuck together, so screw it, none of dis matters.)

The thing with this season, is that the time skip was backwards, and they've taken so long to bridge the gap between Michael's rise and the bomb, that you now have a greater buildup of anticipation as to the final conclusion. In past seasons, things were always at a steady progression, no matter how goofy they ended up being. But all that exposition doesn't change a single thing leading up to the final battle between them. All it did was fill in a few details, and really none of them have been satisfying enough to justify it (unless you're a diehard Violet/Tate shipper.)

I think it all comes back to the death mechanic they introduced in season one, which put it in their heads that, once you're dead and a ghost, the stakes disappear. That way the people they want to survive (which has almost always been Sarah Paulson's character by the way,) can do so, even if they did kill you. Or the aliens come take you, or the witches resurrect you, or you go to Heaven, or you live on as a vampire, or you sort of ... just stop being crazy, I guess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OmegaBR posted:

Arguably every season has had a happy family-oriented ending,

The climax to Asylum involves the main character pretending to love her son so she can get close enough to kill him.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

But it also has the Jessica Lange redemption arc with Evan Peters' family and a happy alium abduction

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

But it also has the Jessica Lange redemption arc with Evan Peters' family and a happy alium abduction

Doesn't one of the wives go mad, leading to the total collapse of Kitt's family?

I guess I'm saying that the show doesn't necessarily do happy families forever every season, not that concerns of happiness or family aren't relevant in finales.

(But I think you'd be hard pressed to find finales to tv shows that aren't about families and happiness in some way, shape or form.)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nah iirc kitt is left with the kids who are all children of the corn but aliens 'cause of his wife's abduction or something?? and all zen and poo poo and at the end they take lange off to ??? die ?? in peace ?? or go live with the aliens with her ???

i just remember the finale being very boring and ending on a happy note with sister jude staying with kitt and the family and her going off with the super smart kids

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh right grace and alma die at some point for some reason before judy enters kit's home life or w/e

e: man remember how dope frances conroy's angel of death thing was

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've seen every episode so far, there's one episode left, and I'm still not sure if this is a good season or not. Definitely the first AHS season I've felt this way about this late into it

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Chris James 2 posted:

I've seen every episode so far, there's one episode left, and I'm still not sure if this is a good season or not. Definitely the first AHS season I've felt this way about this late into it

I'm just hoping we get the loving apocalypse tonight.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
I understand what it was for, but the loving Anastasia flashback ate up way too much of the runtime, and that could have been used to actually further the plot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Coven confirmed reactionary

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

I'm just hoping we get the loving apocalypse tonight.

gently caress off past SalTheBard

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I wish I could Tempus Infinitum myself and tell myself not watch this bullshit season.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
They have all but completely confirmed a Mallory time reset, and I cannot see that resulting in anything resembling a satisfying conclusion in one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

One episode left right? Lots of ground to cover.