Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

MS said 1809 stable went out to those who manually clicked check for updates. Why is there a difference between those that manually update and PCs that automatically checked for updates around the same time? To my knowledge, you can't change the automatic update process itself. The only configurable is when your PC restarts.

Double Punctuation posted:

As has been mentioned before, it’s so Microsoft’s servers don’t poo poo themselves every time they release an update trying to update everyone at once. It has nothing to do with how “ready” the update is. They thought it was ready for everyone, and they were wrong.

It's also so they can recall it before everyone gets it if they do run into a big issue.

...like they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
This kind of debacle would never happen with Apple!!! Except for yesterday, when Apple pulls watchOS 5.1 update after reports of bricked devices

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Windows 7 supremacy.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/windows-10-october-2018-update-still-not-released-running-out-of-october/

People said I was crazy for formatting and reinstalling 1803. We're going into November and 1809 is still not re-released.

Friendly reminder that it doesn't hurt to adjust your personal PC's Windows Update Group Policy to "Semi-Annual Channel" so that it waits 3-4 months before installing the latest feature update.

Lmao:

The Article posted:

It turned out that the bug had been reported numerous times during the preview period, but for whatever reason, Microsoft had overlooked or ignored the feedback items describing the problem.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

That truth is even more humorous when you read something like this:

fishmech posted:

Once again. This didn't happen.

It was a final build intended for general release. You need to stop lying and then getting angry about your own lies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

Once again. This didn't happen.

It was a final build intended for general release. You need to stop lying and then getting angry about your own lies.

You're not playing Terraria! Stop lying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdn1s8FxrUg

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

As has been mentioned before, it’s so Microsoft’s servers don’t poo poo themselves every time they release an update trying to update everyone at once. It has nothing to do with how “ready” the update is. They thought it was ready for everyone, and they were wrong.
That's part of the reason why automatic checks aren't all told about updates at the same time.

It doesn't explain why hitting 'check for updates' jumps the queue.

I fully understand that sometimes you do want to jump the queue, but that should be a different button.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dylan16807 posted:

That's part of the reason why automatic checks aren't all told about updates at the same time.

I fully understand that sometimes you do want to jump the queue, but that should be a different button.

You literally told your computer to go find updates, because you didn't want to wait for the existing schedule. Why get mad about your computer going to find updates, ahead of the existing schedule?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why does the end user need to know about Microsoft's internal rollout policy or whatever? It's a button that checks for updates, and gives you the updates if there are any. That's it!

Like if there was an update you wanted, and it was officially announced as released, but the "check for updates" button kept telling you it couldn't find anything for weeks - would you prefer that? That's been the Android experience and it's not great. At least you have the option here - get it on demand, or leave it alone and get it whenever MS decides you should

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dylan16807 posted:

because your action of hitting that button is basically announcing "i am expecting updates that i haven't seen yet"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And most people aren't aware of incoming updates, let alone thirsting to get hold of them, so it's probably not that big a portion of the userbase that are pulling down updates on day one (and if they do, presumably the servers can ignore other users who would be getting the update but haven't pressed the button yet).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is the confusion stemming from the fact that MS was staggering the earlier releases of Win 10 updates despite clicking the "check for updates" -- maybe in the past you wouldn't actually get the latest updates until your machine was "blessed" even if you mashed the check updates button all morning?

Not even sure if that was even a real thing or what they were doing, but I vaguely remember it working that way. and now it doesnt?

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 1, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Last Chance posted:

is the confusion stemming from the fact that MS was staggering the earlier releases of Win 10 updates despite clicking the "check for updates" -- maybe in the past you wouldn't actually get the latest updates until your machine was "blessed" even if you mashed the check updates button all morning?

Not even sure if that was even a real thing or what they were doing, but I vaguely remember it working that way. and now it doesnt?

That's what I was saying before - I'm pretty sure for major "releases" like the Creator's Update they treated it as a special update that was deferred until you told it to install (but it would keep asking you as a reminder). You could even preload at least one of them, so you were ready to go on launch day!!!

But now it seems like they've moved onto just auto installing them like a service pack or whatever - which was probably their goal with Windows 10 anyway, keep everyone foreverially updated with as little interaction as possible

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I could use some recommendations for Windows music players. I'm not into streaming music, I much prefer to purchase digital albums and listen to the files at my convenience, even offline if I want. Ever since I built my first PC in 2005 (XP) I've just been using WMP and it's been fine for what I need. Specifically, it actually does two things I like that I've been unable to find with other players, I'll get to that in a second. The reason I'm wanting to switch is that as of some point this year, WMP is starting to delete the some of the genre tags on my music files. It'll play a song, but after it's over, the tag will be removed and it'll show up in the "unknown" genre section. I went through all of the options and unchecked everything that has to do with automatically updating tags, but the issue still persists. I have a decent-sized library at this point (about 60 gigs worth of various MP3s/M4As/Flacs from various sources) so I want to keep it organized. The genre deletion thing only seems to happen to stuff I buy from Bandcamp, which are frequently missing tags that I need to edit myself.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, WMP does two things specific things which I really like but have been unable to find in other players:

1) It lets you specify multiple genres to play/shuffle at once, including "All-except" variants. I have a bunch of video game OSTs but frequently I like to exclude them from a shuffle playlist as to only listen to "real" music. All the other players I've looked at either only do one genre at once, or all of them at once with no exceptions.
2) When shuffling, WMP takes everything you've selected and puts it into a playlist, ordered by whatever your critera was, artist, and album (track #s). Often a song will come up and I'll think "oh, it's this band, but I'd rather hear <x> track" and it's easy enough to find what I want in the generated playlist (because artists and albums are grouped together, and the list focuses on the current track that's playing), and it will resume shuffling after that. The other players I look at seem to generate a randomly-ordered playlist which makes this impossible, or shuffle turns off when I specify a single track I want to listen to.

I've tried Groove Music already and it does neither of those things I listed, plus the sound is a bit softer (this is without messing with any equalizers or effects). Certain things like electronics sound slightly better, but guitars and other live instruments are missing some punch. WMP seems to give those a more gritty sound.

Bonus if anyone can name an Android app with the same features I'm looking for on desktop. Currently using Shuttle on my phone and it doesn't do those things either.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I press the "Check for Updates" button on release days because Microsoft decided to take away my ability to wait for a more convenient time for the updates, and this is how I can make it feel like I still have some measure of control over my machine. If I wait, Microsoft will eventually start nagging me at some unspecified but inconvenient time to restart my computer and begin the arduous install process. At least with the button I can feel as though I'm getting the nasty business out of the way on my own terms, even if I'm truly not doing that either.

Anyway, on Win10 business, I sure do appreciate Windows reminding me to add family accounts for the children I do not and never will have. On every Win10 machine I use.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I've noticed lately that my windows 10 is taking loving forever to boot up. It sits on the black windows screen for like 10 minutes every time. I tried a clean re-install on my SSD and it made no difference. Is this something an update just hosed, or should I be looking into another cause?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Almost surely another cause.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Anyway, on Win10 business, I sure do appreciate Windows reminding me to add family accounts for the children I do not and never will have. On every Win10 machine I use.

Stop using Edge browser to search for "pregnant chicks" then.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've just upgraded to an NVMe SSD and was able to clone my C: drive onto it. It's booting fine but now I have this issue:

I want to extend the C: drive so that it can use the full 1 TB that I bought but it looks like the recovery partition is in the way. How do I get around this?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Create yourself a Linux live USB that includes gparted (Ubuntu will do) to rearrange the partitions.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Lambert posted:

Create yourself a Linux live USB that includes gparted (Ubuntu will do) to rearrange the partitions.

I'm trying to use their live usb image from their site found here: https://gparted.org/liveusb.php and apparently I either suck at making bootable drives or asus is being dumb. It's showing up as a bootable device in my BIOS but when I attempt the boot it looks like it tries to launch but instead takes me back to BIOS.

Guess I'll keep poking at this

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm trying to use their live usb image from their site found here: https://gparted.org/liveusb.php and apparently I either suck at making bootable drives or asus is being dumb. It's showing up as a bootable device in my BIOS but when I attempt the boot it looks like it tries to launch but instead takes me back to BIOS.

Guess I'll keep poking at this

Download Ubuntu Desktop 18.10 from this site:
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and get the Universal USB Installer from here:
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Launch the USB installer, select the appropriate options (Ubuntu/your ISO file/drive) and be sure to select "Fat32 Format Drive".

After that, boot Ubuntu from your USB drive and launch gparted from the menu in the bottom right.

If you do a clean install at some point in the future, be sure to convert your disk to GPT either using the command line in the Windows installer or (easier) using Gparted again, selecting Device -> Create Partition Table (this deletes all data on the disk). That way, Windows will install in UEFI mode instead of BIOS emulation mode. Alternatively, you can secure erase the SSD and make sure you boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode (disable any "legacy boot" options).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 5, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Lambert posted:

Download Ubuntu Desktop 18.10 from this site:
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and get the Universal USB Installer from here:
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Launch the USB installer, select the appropriate options (Ubuntu/your ISO file/drive) and be sure to select "Fat32 Format Drive".

After that, boot Ubuntu from your USB drive and launch gparted from the menu in the bottom right.

If you do a clean install at some point in the future, be sure to convert your disk to GPT either using the command line in the Windows installer or (easier) using Gparted again, selecting Device -> Create Partition Table (this deletes all data on the disk). That way, Windows will install in UEFI mode instead of BIOS emulation mode. Alternatively, you can secure erase the SSD and make sure you boot the Windows installer in UEFI mode (disable any "legacy boot" options).

This worked but it turned out I wasn't creating the bootable disc correctly :downs:

So yeah hooray 1 TB of NVMe sweetness :toot:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I need to double check something to make sure I'm not going crazy.

Does Microsoft still tie your windows 10 product key to your microsoft/live account? I did the 8.1 Pro -> 10 Pro free upgrade years ago and could have sworn last year when I did a reset it activated windows as soon as I signed back in.

Reason being, at some point tonight my Windows 10 pro activation turned into a Windows 10 home and I cannot find out why. (Nor can I find my original windows 8 pro key)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ularg posted:

Does Microsoft still tie your windows 10 product key to your microsoft/live account? I did the 8.1 Pro -> 10 Pro free upgrade years ago and could have sworn last year when I did a reset it activated windows as soon as I signed back in.

Reason being, at some point tonight my Windows 10 pro activation turned into a Windows 10 home and I cannot find out why. (Nor can I find my original windows 8 pro key)

It's not just you, looks like a widespread issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows10/comments/9v6ibm

A lot of people are having their Pro deactivate randomly and seemingly losing digital entitlement too

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Same issue with my 10 Pro system. I got a popup telling me I'm not activated out of the blue & the troubleshooter tells me I only have a home license and I need to reinstall. Yet when I check my Microsoft account details it still tells me I have 10 Pro tied to it for this system.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 8, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not just you, looks like a widespread issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows10/comments/9v6ibm

A lot of people are having their Pro deactivate randomly and seemingly losing digital entitlement too

Hearing that it's a widespread issue is the best thing I could have been told, seriously. Thank you very much. Hopefully it's fixed soon. Been through hell and back and all I have to show for it is

:shepface:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ularg posted:

It's tied to a hash value of the machine that's stored on MIcrosoft's servers, reactivation works even without entering any key or Microsoft ID as long as it's the same system.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The more I read stuff like the above and other things about Windows 10 loving up, the more I am convinced that the Windows 10 team is run by retards. Issues like these seem to stem not from a technical issue but more the result of some marketing decision that necessitates screwing with the system.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lambert posted:

It's tied to a hash value of the machine that's stored on MIcrosoft's servers, reactivation works even without entering any key or Microsoft ID as long as it's the same system.

Yes, but why did it change the license for those systems on (presumably) Microsoft's end?

E: actually got hit this time, but just on my flaky-rear end ultrabook that I upgraded from 8.1 Pro+WMC and had forgotten its activation before because of a busted SSD (since replaced), and not the new (last month) DIY desktop that I did the upgrade-in-environment trick from a nearly-launch MSDNAA Windows 7 Pro key.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 8, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Did it switch to Home after a reinstall, or did it randomly switch in place? If it's the first, you need to create a new textfile called ei.cfg in the "sources" folder of your installation media containing
code:
[Channel]
Retail
in order to install using your previous Pro activation. https://superuser.com/questions/1020961/prevent-windows-10-installer-from-using-the-preinstalled-serial-key-without-disa

Laptops tend to have a key stored in their UEFI that Windows prefers.

You can also enter your Windows 7/8/8.1 key during installation for an immediate upgrade (you can still do this after the fact in the Settings menu to "upgrade" your system).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 8, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Hm, seems like plenty of people are being hit with this problem all of a sudden, probably best to just wait a bit for Microsoft to sort out their licensing server.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

We're starting to hear from offices that use o365 that now those licenses are getting hosed because the OS is inactivated.

Nothing like telling corporate people that they can't use Excel and Word until MS decides to fix it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

unknown posted:

We're starting to hear from offices that use o365 that now those licenses are getting hosed because the OS is inactivated.

Nothing like telling corporate people that they can't use Excel and Word until MS decides to fix it.

But.... but.... the CLOUD makes everything better!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

unknown posted:

bwahahaha

hmmm, maybe I should blackhole microsoft on my router for a day or two...

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lambert posted:

Hm, seems like plenty of people are being hit with this problem all of a sudden, probably best to just wait a bit for Microsoft to sort out their licensing server.

The real question should be, why is my copy of windows phoning home every day to see if its legit?

Shouldn't it already know?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Snuffman posted:

The real question should be, why is my copy of windows phoning home every day to see if its legit?

Shouldn't it already know?

They've been doing that since, at least, Windows XP. It's how they retroactively invalidated commonly used pirate keys in hopes that people would buy a license instead of changing to a different pirate key.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Is it possible to hide the watermark for now? I don't want to see it while playing games tonight.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

owls or something posted:

Is it possible to hide the watermark for now? I don't want to see it while playing games tonight.

I think rebooting will make the watermark go away for a little bit. Did that for me the first time, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

owls or something posted:

Fixed now for me at least. I ran the troubleshooter and my copy is activated again.

Yay.