Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

History Comes Inside! posted:

What's the most powerful sleep meds I can buy OTC/off the shelf here? Going on 3 nights now where I can't stay asleep more than a couple of hours, I'm apparently experiencing jet lag for the first time in my life.

whiskey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm sadly coming up to 4 years sober or this would have been the obvious choice.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Thauros posted:

Heading to Tokyo for the first time right after New Year's. Will be arriving on the 2nd and flying back on the 8th. Will be attending a pro wrestling show on the fourth but definitely want to do a bunch of general sightseeing and will comb this thread for suggestions.

My main two questions are:

1. What would be a cool but affordable neighborhood to stay in? Would like someplace with an interesting ambiance/bars/restaurants/etc... I found cheap hotels in Kabuchiko, would that be advisable?

2.Is that enough time that a trip outside Tokyo would be recommended? If so, where? Would be willing to stay a night or two elsewhere within a reasonable train ride.

Honestly any neighborhood will do as a tourist because it’s all so well connected via trains. Like you can be 15-25min away by train from whatever neighborhood and it could be way cheaper than something more central potentially. That being said kabukicho is both central and has a lot of stuff around. It’s about as seedy of a place as there is in Japan (except for very specific parts of Roppongi etc) but it’s really nothing as long as you’re not the type to go off to suspicious bars and order drinks without knowing the price etc.

Unfortunately though, during the new year in Japan things are very quiet, with a lot of things closed. Usually from Jan 1-5. Also during that period all the public transit will be PACKED on certain days. Everyone that lives in the city goes to the countryside to visit their parents, and then back.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I'm sadly coming up to 4 years sober or this would have been the obvious choice.

Same with stringent except replace years with hours

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Universal staying in Tokyo advice: if it's within easy walking distance of a Yamanote Line station it's a perfectly fine location, go ahead.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

Heading to Tokyo for the first time right after New Year's. Will be arriving on the 2nd and flying back on the 8th. Will be attending a pro wrestling show on the fourth but definitely want to do a bunch of general sightseeing and will comb this thread for suggestions.

My main two questions are:

1. What would be a cool but affordable neighborhood to stay in? Would like someplace with an interesting ambiance/bars/restaurants/etc... I found cheap hotels in Kabuchiko, would that be advisable?

2.Is that enough time that a trip outside Tokyo would be recommended? If so, where? Would be willing to stay a night or two elsewhere within a reasonable train ride.

Don’t stay in Kabukicho, do stay somewhere with a Yamanote Line JR station. Trains stay open late enough to accommodate night life. Stay someplace with affordable and decent hotels, train over to the nightlife. It’ll be fine.

Kamakura or (farther south) Hakone are both good out-early day trips that are very accessible by trains and buses. Nikko is northeast of Tokyo and also recommended.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Shibuya is the only right answer of where to stay in Tokyo. Close proximity to the center-gai Hub is crucial.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What do you like to do, go eat a crepe in Tokyo?

Shimbashi #1. Direct train to haneda and right next to a NRT shuttle

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

Don’t stay in Kabukicho, do stay somewhere with a Yamanote Line JR station. Trains stay open late enough to accommodate night life. Stay someplace with affordable and decent hotels, train over to the nightlife. It’ll be fine.

Kamakura or (farther south) Hakone are both good out-early day trips that are very accessible by trains and buses. Nikko is northeast of Tokyo and also recommended.

You know that Kabukicho is a five minute walk from Shinjuku station, right?
Kabukicho is fine to stay in. You can walk to the main drag in Shinjuku, walk over to Shinjuku 3-chome for bars and restaurants, down to the Gyoenmae for even more bars and restaurants with a quieter air and from Shinjuku station you have easy access to all of Tokyo and basically the rest of Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

You know that Kabukicho is a five minute walk from Shinjuku station, right?
Kabukicho is fine to stay in. You can walk to the main drag in Shinjuku, walk over to Shinjuku 3-chome for bars and restaurants, down to the Gyoenmae for even more bars and restaurants with a quieter air and from Shinjuku station you have easy access to all of Tokyo and basically the rest of Japan.

I’ve lived in Japan 7 years and Tokyo now 4, I know Kabukicho is tamed down compared to days of yore. Still don’t think it’s wise to recommend it for somebody making their first trip to Japan. Which is also why I put the Yamanote Line caveat in there too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Great, I've lived just up the hill from Kabukicho for over 10 years, and I go there to shop or eat like once a week. Kabukicho is fine, it's literally full of tourists now.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

I’ve lived in Japan 7 years and Tokyo now 4, I know Kabukicho is tamed down compared to days of yore. Still don’t think it’s wise to recommend it for somebody making their first trip to Japan. Which is also why I put the Yamanote Line caveat in there too.

You have to be dumb as gently caress to get in trouble in kabukicho

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

LimburgLimbo posted:

You have to be dumb as gently caress to get in trouble in kabukicho

Guess what tourists are.

Edit: you're not going to get mugged in Kabukicho, but if somebody's drunk, maybe alone, and so inclined, it's not unimaginable for somebody to be pulled into a bar with some cute girls and a 2k bill waiting for you when you try to leave.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 8, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

totalnewbie posted:

Guess what tourists are.

Edit: you're not going to get mugged in Kabukicho, but if you're drunk and alone and so inclined, it's not unimaginable for somebody to be pulled into a bar with some cute girls and a 2k bill waiting for you when you try to leave.

Well, I guess you better mark Ueno, Ginza, Roppongi, Kanda, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, ad infinitum off the list too. Good thing it's a short trip!

Stringent fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 8, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Protip on not getting in trouble in Kabukicho or like any other similar touristy area:

When a random dude on the street comes up to you and invites you to come to a bar/tea house/whatever, you say no and keep walking.

Congratulations, you have now avoided being scammed.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

You have to be dumb as gently caress

*kramers into the thread*

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I heard there's a room in Kabukicho with all the Japanese titties.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sale on Banksy art posted:

I heard there's a room in Kabukicho with all the Japanese titties.

Yeah, but it's very small.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

Well, I guess you better mark Ueno, Ginza, Roppongi, Kanda, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, ad infinitum off the list too. Good thing it's a short trip!

Oh, I know they're there. I just remember there being more of them/English speakers in Shinjuku.

I think staying in Kabukicho is fine.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Staying in Kabukicho is like staying in sakura hostel. It's fine but a little grungy and ratty. There are just so many other options in Tokyo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stringent posted:

Yeah, but it's very small.

lol

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I stayed in Kabukicho and it was completely fine.

Really the only danger was the touts and that's nothing really. Don't be an idiot applies to anywhere.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

sale on Banksy art posted:

I heard there's a room in Kabukicho with all the non-Japanese titties.

ftfy

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Appreciate the feedback from everyone.

I'm aware of Kabuchicko's rep and the existence of clip joints, but i didn't want a place if like basically everything there was one or required you to be a sucker to a marginally less degree. Will keep it open as a possibility while looking at other options as well.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 8, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want budget just check toyoko inn or dormy inn.

I even plugged in the dates and found this one near akihbara because the one kabukicho is full.

Check out this hotel on Hotels.com https://www.hotels.com/dl/hotel/details.html?hotelId=672939

It’s a metro stop away from akiba but you still get subway access.

Best of all ITS loving CHEAP SO TAKE IT

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There’s even an akiba dormy inn, it’s 30% more expensive but hey there’s a hot spring on the top floor and afik late night sobs for guests.

I like dormy inn a lot more

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

caberham posted:

There’s even an akiba dormy inn, it’s 30% more expensive but hey there’s a hot spring on the top floor and afik late night sobs for guests.

I like dormy inn a lot more

Just a heads up for anyone considering this, Dormy Inn doesn’t allow people with large tattoos into the hot spring area.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Again, appreciate all the recommendations. Flying back on the 9th instead of the 8th so i have 7 nights in total..

Last question before I book:

A friend who spent two weeks in Japan this past summer recommended checking out Kyoto and/or Osaka. Given the time I have does it seem prudent to take a roughly 3 and a half hour train to Kansai on Sunday morning and head back to Tokyo on Tuesday, or should I stick closer to Tokyo given the shorter trip and the fact that I've never been there before.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Thauros posted:

Appreciate the feedback from everyone.

I'm aware of Kabuchicko's rep and the existence of clip joints, but i didn't want a place if like basically everything there was one or required you to be a sucker to a marginally less degree. Will keep it open as a possibility while looking at other options as well.

Just to be clear nowhere near everything in kabukicho is scam joints. There’s like a few specific crossings where there’s touts and that’s it. If you can suffer walking past around 3 people who will go away the moment you say “nah I’m good” then you’re okay. Kabukicho into Shinjuku station area is like the largest commercial area in the country.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Thauros posted:

Again, appreciate all the recommendations. Flying back on the 9th instead of the 8th so i have 7 nights in total..

Last question before I book:

A friend who spent two weeks in Japan this past summer recommended checking out Kyoto and/or Osaka. Given the time I have does it seem prudent to take a roughly 3 and a half hour train to Kansai on Sunday morning and head back to Tokyo on Tuesday, or should I stick closer to Tokyo given the shorter trip and the fact that I've never been there before.

For just seven days stay in Tokyo imo. Also you should stay in Kabukicho just so you can laugh at these dorks afterwards.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just walked up and down as much of Kabukicho as I could handle in 2 hours and the only remotely pushy tout was a Japanese guy who asked me if I just didn't like Japanese whiskey when I told him I didn't drink.

Tons and tons of African dudes shouting and waving flyers though.

We went down a stairwell for the S02 subway station and somehow ended up walking forever through a huge underground complex and coming out at S01, which was not only not S02 but also a whole stop in the wrong direction. How did we gently caress that up?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kabukicho is not even the sleazy by south East Asian standards, there’s not a lot of aggressive arm pulling or hollering. No one offering you drugs and other poo poo. Heck even a lot of those sleazy services are Japanese only and it’s the few places where gangsters are actually polite when they hustle.

Going there for dinner is fine or stopping by. Staying there is safe but the novelty will wear off pretty fast. When you go home you might just come across a bunch of polite drunken people from time to time. Or hordes of tourists walking around gawking.

It’s like going to NYC and staying at Times Square. Or mother loving soi cowboy. Ooooohhhh pretty lights , sex work and late night food!!!!!

Cheers for stringent taking me there for unagi though

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
i was going to go to kabukicho but then i saw this terrifying video and then i definitely knew to stay away!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

For just seven days stay in Tokyo imo.

Yeah. My first trip to Japan was just a week in Tokyo and it was good, no shortage of things to do. If you really feel the need to get out you can go to Kamakura or something and it's not a commitment like heading to Kansai.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Stay like 1 day in Tokyo and then go on a straight shot to Kanazawa instead. Even the kaiten-zushi places in Kanazawa have fish quality that's closer to like $50-100 in Tokyo.*

*don't actually do this

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. My first trip to Japan was just a week in Tokyo and it was good, no shortage of things to do. If you really feel the need to get out you can go to Kamakura or something and it's not a commitment like heading to Kansai.

I have also spent a week in the Tokyo area and can confirm this. If you were traveling in a warmer season I would suggest a day trip to Mt. Takao, but walking up a mountain in January sounds awful even on a paved trail.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Packing too much into a trip is much worse than not planning enough things, just in general.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I just walked up and down as much of Kabukicho as I could handle in 2 hours and the only remotely pushy tout was a Japanese guy who asked me if I just didn't like Japanese whiskey when I told him I didn't drink.

Tons and tons of African dudes shouting and waving flyers though.

We went down a stairwell for the S02 subway station and somehow ended up walking forever through a huge underground complex and coming out at S01, which was not only not S02 but also a whole stop in the wrong direction. How did we gently caress that up?

Yeah be prepared to get lost when entering Shinjuku station. More so when you try decide to go find the Shinjuku Afuri on the instructions "It's in Lumines basement" and not knowing there are three different Lumines at Shinjuku station. :doh:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Packing too much into a trip is much worse than not planning enough things, just in general.

Just buy a suit case in those electronic stores :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

the china has seeped so deep into my brain the other day I was like "man maybe I'll buy a rice cooker in Japan"