Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Have a regular 'board game' meet up where we never really seem to have less than 6 people, and sometimes it balloons out to 10 or so. I have a fair number of high-player-count games for this reason, but would welcome a couple more since most of these have been in rotation for a year. Have:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

Just got Decrypto, and it's a big hit so far. Mysterium is around and works but it's pretty fiddly so it doesn't hit the table often. Social deduction games come out less often than I thought -- everyone's too nice and they don't like lying to each other.

Considering grabbing Dixit odyssey since it's basically mysterium but with fewer moving parts. Ugg-tect would probably be perfect if it existed. Other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

NmareBfly posted:

Have a regular 'board game' meet up where we never really seem to have less than 6 people, and sometimes it balloons out to 10 or so. I have a fair number of high-player-count games for this reason, but would welcome a couple more since most of these have been in rotation for a year. Have:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

Just got Decrypto, and it's a big hit so far. Mysterium is around and works but it's pretty fiddly so it doesn't hit the table often. Social deduction games come out less often than I thought -- everyone's too nice and they don't like lying to each other.

Considering grabbing Dixit odyssey since it's basically mysterium but with fewer moving parts. Ugg-tect would probably be perfect if it existed. Other suggestions?

Guards of Atlantis as an outside of the square choice might be interesting. With the expansion it plays 11 fairly nicely, but it's a lot heavier than mysterium

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 8, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

sidereal confluence :twisted:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Bottom Liner posted:

we just saved you a ton of money then :v:

SA is my favorite game but it's big flaw for me is how it doesn't really scale down well. I want four or five man crews, and it's more of a hassle to wrangle that many people than I'd like. Also solo play sounds more inviting with an app.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

Many roll and write games can support basically any player count, like Welcome To... RR ink also plays 12 if you buy two boxes.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Got The Estates to the table today. When teaching the game, I think it would be good to emphasize that it's really bad to run out of money. The two people I was playing both decided to give me all of their money, which almost always is throwing the game

Countblanc posted:

sidereal confluence :twisted:

This but 100% unironically.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Other suggestions?

Without trying to be facetious, that kind of player count is the point at which I think it's important to try to set the expectation that sometimes your group is going to split into two. I say this mostly because there really are only so many games that work with that many people and you'll often start to see people who want to try other games lose interest, eventually turning your board game meetup into a Mafia meetup.

There will probably be some people that complain that this will be Less Fun because they think 'number of players == amount of fun', but offer them a compromise and say you're going to alternate, and that people can make up their minds from there. Pull out a couple of fun 3-5 player games and it's likely it'll help keep things fresher.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

You may not think this is helpful, but really the best thing you could do is convince everybody to break into 2 or 3 groups. The vast majority of board games are designed for 4 players or less, even low-to-mid-weight games. You can always rotate players between games if you're worried about devolving into cliques.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

Mega civilization. It’s a long game but isn’t particularly difficult to teach.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

4 player games are the best games. It is known.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pospysyl posted:

Got The Estates to the table today. When teaching the game, I think it would be good to emphasize that it's really bad to run out of money. The two people I was playing both decided to give me all of their money, which almost always is throwing the game

This but 100% unironically.

As we've been playing around with it, I don't think running out of money is a death knell especially if you can determine what piece would be so monumental that every other player would put up top dollar for it instead of trying to undercut you knowing you can't refuse.

Furthermore, a player who doesn't get any certificate at all is kind of an agent of chaos and I've seen a dude win by extending the rows so that they're impossible to complete then walking away with all six points needed to win.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

sidereal confluence
lifeboat (NOT lifeboats) + all 3 expansions
masters of commerce / panic on Wall Street (same game, different art style)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Guards of Atlantis as an outside of the square choice might be interesting. With the expansion it plays 11 fairly nicely, but it's a lot heavier than mysterium

I've never heard of this but it looks super interesting. Is it actually good? There's a real shortage of heavier team-based games.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

al-azad posted:

Furthermore, a player who doesn't get any certificate at all is kind of an agent of chaos and I've seen a dude win by extending the rows so that they're impossible to complete then walking away with all six points needed to win.

This is exactly how our first game of The Estates went. Turns out if everyone else has negative points, any positive points will do for the win!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kerro posted:

I've never heard of this but it looks super interesting. Is it actually good? There's a real shortage of heavier team-based games.

In short: Yes.

The longer, more nuanced answer is how do you feel about getting out played and brutually murdered. The specific issue is that the game is totally deterministic and other than one hero you cannot really move and attack in the same turn. So the game is has quite a bit of footsie as you try and get in position to land a hit.

If someone gets out of position, doesn't understand what the opponent's cards do etc they just get exploded.

Its quite a lot like actually playing a MOBA for what it's worth.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 8, 2018

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stelas posted:

Without trying to be facetious...

CaptainRightful posted:

You may not think this is helpful, but really the best thing you could do is convince everybody to break into 2 or 3 groups.

I totally appreciate this, but there's a reason why I put 'board game' night in quotes. The expectation is not that we'll play a full-on game one way or another -- none of the games I listed besides maybe Sushi Go even have a board. I have another smaller more irregular group for Gloomhaven and more weighty stuff and I know that party games are in a different, looser category. The best luck I've had splitting this particular group was the time we got like 12 and I could actually pull out 2 rooms and a boom.

Basically: Yeah I know 6+ is where most games start breaking, but that's why I'm asking for suggestions in case there are obvious ones I've missed. :) It's typically 6-8, a land where there are still some decent games around. More on occasion, but games that seat that many are very thin on the ground (monikers / codenames still work pretty well.)

Masters of commerce / panic on wall street sound good but there's only 1 on amazon and it's $90. hatchi matchi. I think Welcome To... and Lifeboat might be on the short list, hm...

E: oh and I personally would love siderial confluence but it'd make these people's brains explode.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 8, 2018

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

VivaJava the Coffee Game is supposed to be decent and apparently plays best with 6-8 players.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I’ve never played it myself but my understanding is that Captain Sonar is best at its full player count of 8 people.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

I’ve never played it myself but my understanding is that Captain Sonar is best at its full player count of 8 people.

it is a very good game. I imagine with eight it would be dope.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

wizzardstaff posted:

The game also plays well at 6 because one of the roles is about half a role, but sometimes you have a 7th or 8th that really only wants to do that much.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I regularly play with a group of 7, ranging in ages from 7 to 50. Occasionally we have to team up with the youngest, or have a person bow out to work on dinner/snacks. While these are lighter games, they all play at least 7

- 7 Wonders -- The first time we played with 7 people it took forever, but now we can bang it out in no time
- Frank's Zoo -- Trick-taking card game with animals. Fun warm-up game
- Between Two Cities -- Cooperate with the people to your left/right to plan cities; you mostly don't have to worry about what the other people are doing which makes the game go faster
- Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig -- Just got this last week; mash up of the two games that seems fun. Tiles are super detailed but very small
- Wits & Wagers -- Great for the last game of the night
- Incan Gold
- Codenames Pictures
- Secret Hitler
- Cockroach Poker -- I think this plays better with 3-4
- 12 Days -- a Christmas themed trick-taking game we got as a white elephant gift, but it's pretty and fun and makes it to the table way more than anybody expected

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Merauder posted:

AEG released their card game Cat Lady as a $2 app today. It's a fine little game with table-drafting and set collection, in which you have a 3x3 grid of cards on the table and on your turn select a full row or column of cards to add to your tableau. Once you've taken your selected cards you refill the board, and move a marker to the outside of the row/column you just took cards from, which then indicates that row/column is locked from the next player selecting it. It dawned on me part way into playing my first game that the primary reason for this seems to be to minimize the chance at random top-decks heavily benefiting the next player, while still allowing them access to one of the 3 new cards by choosing a column instead of the locked row (or vice versa). That in turn got me thinking about deck-building games.

As someone who has always preferred the dynamic (read: random, whatever, tomato/tomahto) nature of non-Dominion deck-builders, it got me wondering if any DBGs have tried something like this to stymie the randomness a bit. I've known of some that do a graduated cost for new cards vs old cards which I like the idea of as well, but this seemed like an interesting take. Thoughts?
It seems you shouldn't make a game called Cat Lady unless you have to carefully balance the stench of cat urine with the inevitability of falling down one day and being eaten by your pets.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Enough talk. Let's ROMANTIC!

FUJOSHI! PBP #1 is live! Tekopo, Stelas, Pseudo, and SoftNum, please report to ship out!

Threads 2 and 3 will be up once game 1 is underway.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Merauder posted:

AEG released their card game Cat Lady as a $2 app today. It's a fine little game with table-drafting and set collection, in which you have a 3x3 grid of cards on the table and on your turn select a full row or column of cards to add to your tableau. Once you've taken your selected cards you refill the board, and move a marker to the outside of the row/column you just took cards from, which then indicates that row/column is locked from the next player selecting it. It dawned on me part way into playing my first game that the primary reason for this seems to be to minimize the chance at random top-decks heavily benefiting the next player, while still allowing them access to one of the 3 new cards by choosing a column instead of the locked row (or vice versa). That in turn got me thinking about deck-building games.

As someone who has always preferred the dynamic (read: random, whatever, tomato/tomahto) nature of non-Dominion deck-builders, it got me wondering if any DBGs have tried something like this to stymie the randomness a bit. I've known of some that do a graduated cost for new cards vs old cards which I like the idea of as well, but this seemed like an interesting take. Thoughts?

It sounds nice, but really what happens is that the player before you takes a really good set of 3 cards and then you're left with garbage. There's not enough depth to make the mechanic that interesting. It's fine for a couple plays, though, and you're right that the mechanic is worth exploring in a better game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gutter Owl posted:

Enough talk. Let's ROMANTIC!

FUJOSHI! PBP #1 is live! Tekopo, Stelas, Pseudo, and SoftNum, please report to ship out!

Threads 2 and 3 will be up once game 1 is underway.

quote:

However, you can’t ensure a *straight* game, where all characters only choose “opposite” gender cards. If this bothers you, we advise that you use the following variant rules:
  • Play a different game.
:allears: GO, you are a national treasure.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

fischtick posted:

- 7 Wonders -- The first time we played with 7 people it took forever, but now we can bang it out in no time

And can go up to 8 with the Cities expansion.

There's also Love Letter Premium for 8.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Seven Wonders with 6 or 8 in teams of two is really good.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like Bohnanza, which is a trading game for 3-7.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

Sounds interesting, like the usage of intersections of rows and columns of Targi. I'm a big fan of Targi. Difference is that Targi is only made for 2, so there's a lot of back and forth on what's available, where Cat Lady is 2-4.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Well, I finally played Let Havre. Note that I like Agricola, love Feast, and kinda dislike his others, especially caverna, and somewhat ora and the patchwork genre.

I liked it! It feels a little deliberately reduced, in that you have just the one worker and never get more, so each turn is about the same length as any other. More options but fixed length.

I crushed my wife who had played once long ago, I got into a clay, coal, iron, steel pattern, having built earlyish ships, she was doing some large baking patisserie operation that didn't really produce that much overall.

My understanding is that the game is limited in viable strategies and that there might be a best path, but as an occasional game that I won't delve too deeply into, it was enjoyable.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Well, I finally played Let Havre. Note that I like Agricola, love Feast, and kinda dislike his others, especially caverna, and somewhat ora and the patchwork genre.

I liked it! It feels a little deliberately reduced, in that you have just the one worker and never get more, so each turn is about the same length as any other. More options but fixed length.

I crushed my wife who had played once long ago, I got into a clay, coal, iron, steel pattern, having built earlyish ships, she was doing some large baking patisserie operation that didn't really produce that much overall.

My understanding is that the game is limited in viable strategies and that there might be a best path, but as an occasional game that I won't delve too deeply into, it was enjoyable.

It’s been a little while, but I had played a lot of Le Havre at one point. One of the people in my gaming group loved it, and would always agree to play it. I was mostly playing three player with some four player games as well. While there are some core strategies to winning, it usually comes down to who uses the key buildings to convert to bricks or steel at the right time. Too early, and you don’t have enough while your opponent keeps amassing basic materials. And too late and your opponent builds all the good stuff while you wait for the buildings to free up.

It’s a worker placement game where you have to play close attention to what your opponent is building up for. You can’t just play it like a solitaire game, as your opponents can leave a key building blocked up for multiple turns, and there may not be anything you can do about it. The loan mechanic being very forgiving is a nice feature that will help to keep new players from getting too frustrated.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

Cash N Guns (4-8p): Not so much lying in this one, though there is bluffing. There is a pool of loot in the middle of the table each round. You have three decisions in the round: A) do you load your gun with real ammo or a blank, B) who do you point your gun at, and C) if you make it through the round without getting shot with a real bullet, what loot do you take. There is bluffing required on the side of convincing people you used a real bullet since you have a limited supply, but it's not really social deduction.

PitchCar (2-8p): Dexterity flicking game where you flick wooden discs around a track that you made.

...that's really all I can do for you with the pre reqs of 'plays more than 6' and 'no social deduction'. I can suggest a few light/ party ish games to get you to 6 players, but not many above it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Cash N Guns (4-8p): Not so much lying in this one, though there is bluffing. There is a pool of loot in the middle of the table each round. You have three decisions in the round: A) do you load your gun with real ammo or a blank, B) who do you point your gun at, and C) if you make it through the round without getting shot with a real bullet, what loot do you take. There is bluffing required on the side of convincing people you used a real bullet since you have a limited supply, but it's not really social deduction.

PitchCar (2-8p): Dexterity flicking game where you flick wooden discs around a track that you made.

...that's really all I can do for you with the pre reqs of 'plays more than 6' and 'no social deduction'. I can suggest a few light/ party ish games to get you to 6 players, but not many above it.

Fake Artist is great and can be proxied... though I guess it technically is "social deduction". Shouldn't matter, it's funny.

Falling can go to 8 players :v: .

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

NmareBfly posted:

I totally appreciate this, but there's a reason why I put 'board game' night in quotes. The expectation is not that we'll play a full-on game one way or another -- none of the games I listed besides maybe Sushi Go even have a board. I have another smaller more irregular group for Gloomhaven and more weighty stuff and I know that party games are in a different, looser category. The best luck I've had splitting this particular group was the time we got like 12 and I could actually pull out 2 rooms and a boom.

Basically: Yeah I know 6+ is where most games start breaking, but that's why I'm asking for suggestions in case there are obvious ones I've missed. :) It's typically 6-8, a land where there are still some decent games around. More on occasion, but games that seat that many are very thin on the ground (monikers / codenames still work pretty well.)

Masters of commerce / panic on wall street sound good but there's only 1 on amazon and it's $90. hatchi matchi. I think Welcome To... and Lifeboat might be on the short list, hm...

E: oh and I personally would love siderial confluence but it'd make these people's brains explode.

I have group like this and if you don't mind the screens you gotta get the jackbox games. They're always a hit.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dancer posted:

Falling can go to 8 players :v: .

Several people in my gaming group call Falling the most stressful game they've ever played and it's the only game they're actively against playing now.

I love it to death.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Someone explain Falling to me. I just read the description on BGG, and it just sounds like real time Uno/Exploding Kittens?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

Someone explain Falling to me. I just read the description on BGG, and it just sounds like real time Uno/Exploding Kittens?

One player is the dealer. Everyone else is falling.

Every player is dealt a card one at a time into a single stack in front of them. The game is played in real time with the dealer dealing on a rhythm. When you are dealt a Ground card, you hit the ground and you're eliminated. That last 4 cards in the deck are Ground cards. Last person to hit the ground wins.

You can pull the top card of your stack into your hand. Your hand limit is one, so you have to play your card before you can pull a new one. These are Uno style actions like skip, deal 2, cancel another action, move an action to someone else. A special one is split, where the person you play that on gets a second stack of cards to be dealt onto. These are additive. You can have like 4+ stacks in front of you. If you are then dealt a deal 2, you are dealt 2 cards per stack.

A game of this lasts about 45 seconds.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One important bit is that in Falling, cards that are good at the beginning (like stuff that gets you extra cards, which gives you more options) become bad to have nearer the end. So it does a thing I like to see in my games, where there's a gear shift as the game goes on and nears completion.

No one wants to play the game twice however. :shrug:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

Welcome To... plays infinite players, is a pretty great and is perhaps the best game to come out of the current roll and write craze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

Sushi Go
Codenames
Monikers
Spyfall
Coup
Resistance (Avalon)

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong might work well. I find that there's not really lots of hard core lying (which I'm terrible at), just trying to convince the other people at the table that *that* player's cards match up with the investigator's clues more than yours does.

Plays up to 8:
- Insider,
- Lovecraft Letter (you can play regular Love Letter as well with this)
- Rolling America
- Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama