Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hav posted:

His name is a shilling word!

It means the shadow of the bear in the full moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

colonelwest posted:

I'm losing track of this discussion. How many Skyrims is that?

I love when Citizens fetishize shear size over any consideration of how that space will be filled with actual gameplay content. If CIG's space city is as a big or bigger than a real city, then it must also have the same level of complexity and things to do in it.

I agree if we are going to be co-developing store criticizer can we keep to regular units, please.

Area should always be measured in Skyrims
Quality is relatively measured to elite dangerous (as this is the minimum unit of quality)
Pipelines are sized according to standard handwavium convention
Development time is measured in GTA releases,

please when you are describing development time don't forget the baseline is adjusted forward a year ever year and its scale is exponential to the power of handwavium. I see a lot of people forgetting scale development time correctly when making forward predictions,

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

zcrow posted:

In a world with spaceships that travel faster than the speed of light, AI, holograms and planets made entirely of manmade structures...

I'm the society that still uses 20th century vehicles. I am Skeuomorphism: The Game.

This is the magic of Chris Roberts.

His civilizations always seem to barely be hanging on with junky technology, but under the hood is something like gravity goo that harnesses the very power of gravity itself in a liquid form that pumps through the whole ship.

And instead of weaponizing something fun like gravity goo, you'll have "mass drivers" and "machine guns" and "lasers that shoot real slow".

And the problem is that while he can just do what most games like his do and say "duuude it's a game. It's all fake!" he yells instead "it's a realistic simulation where we are measuring the content of argon in the air and how it affects your breathing and your blood oxygen content that we painstakingly track because it's so real!"

At that point you need to criticize it because you can't have it both ways. You can't do a hyper realistic simulation except when you don't want to and "oh it's magic" except this, because it's "hyper realistic" but this over here is more "video game magic lol just roll with it bro!" but oh poo poo you need to wait 5 minutes for the next train to trundle in because "this is a virtual world that mirrors real life..."

The only thing stopping him from just going full on Rebel Galaxy or Beyond Good and Evil in space with flying monkeys and jet packs is his own weird need for realism; when the only reality is it causes him more harm than just hand waving it and not caring if your guy goes in space without a space suit.

In a nutshell, nobody pulled him aside and asked "is this reality of yours fun? Do we need to have it? Why?" and he's just went full sperg with nobody trying to stop him.

It's been a great several years. :allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

So, someone at CIG should watch the masters produce a galaxy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz3nhCykZNw

Actual content starts 6 minutes in, but it's a lot about the galaxy and how the proc gen works in ED.

The v1 planet rendering is literally smoke and mirrors.

Edit: ^^^ don’t get me started on gas mix in a 1/6th scale universe.

Hav fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 8, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I like how people seem to think a company needs to never move past a single product.

I have news for you guys: unless your Chris Roberts and money rains from heaven, your company needs to remain solvent by constantly building new products people will buy. Upkeeping a years old product sure is nice, but it probably won't bring in the high dollar new sales.

I know it's hard to understand that in the time CIG is still working on the poo poo tier alpha of a single game, Frontier actually made 3 full product releases, with one of them attached to a rather large IP. That they focus anything at all on Elite is just kind of a nice thing they really don't have to do.

The only IP that may be interested in Star Citizen would be Scientology. :)

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
It just occurred to me that what B’Tak wants isn’t the BDSSE, he wants the BDSSSE, the Best drat Safe Space Sim Ever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The Titanic posted:

His civilizations always seem to barely be hanging on with junky technology, but under the hood is something like gravity goo that harnesses the very power of gravity itself in a liquid form that pumps through the whole ship.

And instead of weaponizing something fun like gravity goo, you'll have "mass drivers" and "machine guns" and "lasers that shoot real slow".

And the problem is that while he can just do what most games like his do and say "duuude it's a game. It's all fake!" he yells instead "it's a realistic simulation where we are measuring the content of argon in the air and how it affects your breathing and your blood oxygen content that we painstakingly track because it's so real!"

At that point you need to criticize it because you can't have it both ways. You can't do a hyper realistic simulation except when you don't want to and "oh it's magic" except this, because it's "hyper realistic" but this over here is more "video game magic lol just roll with it bro!" but oh poo poo you need to wait 5 minutes for the next train to trundle in because "this is a virtual world that mirrors real life..."

The only thing stopping him from just going full on Rebel Galaxy or Beyond Good and Evil in space with flying monkeys and jet packs is his own weird need for realism; when the only reality is it causes him more harm than just hand waving it and not caring if your guy goes in space without a space suit.

In a nutshell, nobody pulled him aside and asked "is this reality of yours fun? Do we need to have it? Why?" and he's just went full sperg with nobody trying to stop him.

its weird nerd realism where the only consistent parameters are those he has established in his special notebook with poseable action figures, and its all very consistent and sensible unless you're a person besides Chris Roberts

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sectopod posted:

In case you were wondering what Ben Lesnick, developer is up to these days. In between all the hard remote work he's doing for CIG he still has time to post walls of text about the intricate political system of the WC universe.

https://www.wcnews.com/

The amount of time and energy he puts into his WC obsession still completely baffles me.

to be completely fair Ben's WC obsession is probably his least dangerous / threatening obsession. it doesn't hurt anyone for him to buy WC translated into whatever language or spend a week writing a huge blog post nobody cares about.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Deadguy2322 posted:

It just occurred to me that what B’Tak wants isn’t the BDSSE, he wants the BDSSSE, the Best drat Safe Space Sim Ever.

Probably wears a Hi-Viz vest when he goes shopping.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SoftNum posted:

to be completely fair Ben's WC obsession is probably his least dangerous / threatening obsession. it doesn't hurt anyone for him to buy WC translated into whatever language or spend a week writing a huge blog post nobody cares about.

If I were his wife, I wouldn't be best pleased. It's nice when people earn money with what they do instead of spending it on nonsense.

But on the other hand, maybe he's too ill to work now, in which case whatever makes him happy, I guess.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

The Titanic posted:

I like how people seem to think a company needs to never move past a single product.

I have news for you guys: unless your Chris Roberts and money rains from heaven, your company needs to remain solvent by constantly building new products people will buy. Upkeeping a years old product sure is nice, but it probably won't bring in the high dollar new sales.

I know it's hard to understand that in the time CIG is still working on the poo poo tier alpha of a single game, Frontier actually made 3 full product releases, with one of them attached to a rather large IP. That they focus anything at all on Elite is just kind of a nice thing they really don't have to do.

But whatever those guys' names were in Ready Player One stopped when they made the OASIS. That is the level these people are thinking at.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Frog Act posted:

so DayZ is entering official "beta" status after five years and with significantly less content than it had a few years ago, along with the most significant gamebreaking bugs still unfixed (like zombies clipping through doors and walls). the missing features aren't just promised stuff like guns, clothing, balanced loot, vehicles, weapon attachments, helicopters, or dynamic events, but also fundamental gameplay mechanics that are absolutely necessary for the game to be playable. these include systems like vaulting over waist high things (which if you've seen the map you'll know are literally every ten feet), bleeding and bandaging (apparently semi-functional sometimes but only bandageable when inflicted by bullets, zombies don't do it anymore), a functional UI, zombies in the same number as the mod (empty maps really gently caress up the game's flow) and, hilariously, limb breaking mechanics. this led to a hilarious exchange on the subreddit where someone made a post trying to remind people that they had "fixed the problem where small inclines, ladders, hills, and rocks randomly break your legs and so the system is working fine" until someone pointed out that they had fixed it by removing the ability to have limbs broken entirely

they "fixed" DayZ over five years by adding no content or systems and pilfering the engine for ARMA4, imo its a shameless a scam as Star Citizen

Did they stick with removing the ability to attack while backpedalling

e: Dammit I read this as 7 days to die, another broken game

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Did they stick with removing the ability to attack while backpedalling

e: Dammit I read this as 7 days to die, another broken game

7 days is still being updated and even though it's a janky mess, mods are good for it.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, does anyone know about gas mixes in 1/6th scale universes? tia :)

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

you need to wait 5 minutes for the next train ...

We have hyper loops on the drawing boards now where the plan is to fire up a fresh carriage when you are ready to go.

I can get a uber in under 2 mins in the city.

But in a game where you have warp gates and anything is possible, old man crobber thought the most realistic and fun version of the transport would be a scheduled train running old school tracks. it's not the1800's!! it has no driver !!! how cool is that!!!

It is worse than our current reality ... all in the name of realism.

That monorail Simpsons episode really got crobear

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 8, 2018

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

The v1 planet rendering is literally smoke and mirrors.

Edit: ^^^ don’t get me started on gas mix in a 1/6th scale universe.

Yes, I believe they argon.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Hello friends, does anyone know about gas mixes in 1/6th scale universes? tia :)

/me explodes into fart-flavored confetti

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think I've found the perfect game that citizens can actually play and get what they want. I just saw the latest Robbaz video of him buying a PC and playing a game inside another game (and plenty of other madness) in 'my summer car' which he calls a Finland simulator.

Here's the whole playlist, which is pure gold, but watch the latest video to see what I mean.

My Summer Car: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo1nDt_-WWnUsdns8zTgF7OuTJ5r0gEsr

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

starkebn posted:

I think I've found the perfect game that citizens can actually play and get what they want. I just saw the latest Robbaz video of him buying a PC and playing a game inside another game (and plenty of other madness) in 'my summer car' which he calls a Finland simulator.

Here's the whole playlist, which is pure gold, but watch the latest video to see what I mean.

My Summer Car: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo1nDt_-WWnUsdns8zTgF7OuTJ5r0gEsr

That game has the best patch notes

some examples posted:

Added wasps, also note that player has a wasp sting allergy
Store is now open from 10 to 20, and both are closed on Sunday
Added Saturday night "dance" and related fist fight mechanics
Decreased possibility of AI car veering off to oncoming lane towards Player
Dead moose can be now chopped into meat chunks with Axe
Added electricity bills, will spawn at home mail box
Not using seatbelts is now traffic infraction
Sleeping with cigarette can start a fire
Added possible destructive house fire
Added visible smoke before Player's house bursts into flames
Player can now drown when too drunk
Dumping septic waste into ground is now a felony, any fines will be appear at home mail box
You can now drink from jail cell WC bowl
Shortened the refueling distance from the pumps

The game actively loving hates you and it's amazing.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

It really is amazing how little understanding Chris has of science fiction settings, for a man who spent almost his entire adult life working in the genre. His "vision" is just a bunch disparate tropes and bits of aesthetics ripped from dozens of other IP's, stripped of all of their context and uniqueness and just mashed together with hack writing and a kindergarten level understanding of science. Like someone posted the famous space bulldozer scene from his magnum opus the other day on Facebook, and I was watching it and just in awe of everything wrong with it.

Nothing in Star Citizen even looks like its part of a coherent universe, let alone builds into a plausible sci-fi universe. So you're left with absurd things like a space B1 Stealth Bomber, that only exists because Chris' twelve year old brain thought it looked cool; then its up to some poor 22 year old to try to make it actually work in the game.

quote:

The arrowing design of Eclipse allows the ship to stay stealthy. Inconspicuous twin engines are moulded into the shape of the hull, weapons are stored internally until they’re ready for use.

No, your engines would light you up like a Christmas tree compared to the cold background of space, and the game itself is supposed to track your EM emissions and have a passive scanning mechanic.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 8, 2018

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Dooguk posted:

Probably wears a Hi-Viz vest when he goes shopping.

He wears a bomb-disposal suit when he checks the mail.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Frog Act posted:

so DayZ is entering official "beta" status after five years and with significantly less content than it had a few years ago, along with the most significant gamebreaking bugs still unfixed (like zombies clipping through doors and walls). the missing features aren't just promised stuff like guns, clothing, balanced loot, vehicles, weapon attachments, helicopters, or dynamic events, but also fundamental gameplay mechanics that are absolutely necessary for the game to be playable. these include systems like vaulting over waist high things (which if you've seen the map you'll know are literally every ten feet), bleeding and bandaging (apparently semi-functional sometimes but only bandageable when inflicted by bullets, zombies don't do it anymore), a functional UI, zombies in the same number as the mod (empty maps really gently caress up the game's flow) and, hilariously, limb breaking mechanics. this led to a hilarious exchange on the subreddit where someone made a post trying to remind people that they had "fixed the problem where small inclines, ladders, hills, and rocks randomly break your legs and so the system is working fine" until someone pointed out that they had fixed it by removing the ability to have limbs broken entirely

they "fixed" DayZ over five years by adding no content or systems and pilfering the engine for ARMA4, imo its a shameless a scam as Star Citizen

Man I remember when this was hot poo poo at one time, somehow in my mind I thought it had already released years ago. So goes another zombie survival crafting early access MMO, thank god that craze is over; but it seems like someone forgot to tell Bethesda.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

colonelwest posted:

No, your engines would light you up like a Christmas tree compared to the cold background of space, and the game itself is supposed to track your EM emissions and have a passive scanning mechanic.

They're literally copying Elite Dangerous at this point.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Citizers think that Star Citizen will be beyond a World of Warcraft level hit, it will have 10's of millions of players, be iterated on for decades and somehow grow to encompass all of gaming until it becomes an obligatory second life for all gamers.

By 2030, I wont even go home to visit my family anymore. We'll all meet up on my autism chariot and chill in my space hot tub, and my brother and I will play lesser video games from plebe-tier publishers like Rockstar on my virtual space TV.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Who's ready to wait for the next star citizer train?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-06/investigators-visit-runaway-bhp-iron-ore-train-derailment-site/10469802

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tnuctip posted:

It means the shadow of the bear in the full moon.

Ah yes, the eyes. The dollar within dollar.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's a tier 0 subsumption implementation. :arghfist:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Seriously, Chris deserves from credit for pulling this off. 3 years ago if you said that the cultists would have been jumping for joy over maybe a system or two at launch, you would have been laughed out of the building. But here we are, and CR has manipulated them to the point that this is happening. That presentation at the end of CitCon sealed the deal. He told them the game was already released and they praised him for it.

I suspect Ortwin's hand in getting this done. CR isn't that clever, and scammy moneymen know how to sell'em snake oil.

Thief taxxe:

For sure. Its quite amazing. I remember being attacked on the sub years ago for suggesting they do an MVP (No! CIG are doing it right! It will be a full game on release!) and how they were not looking likely to get 100 systems on launch (No! Goon! Derek! FUDster! Once the pipelines are done they will make dozens of systems a week!)

Now look at it. They are just hoping for an MVP with a few systems in the next few years.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1058552620023975936
https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1059371874017296385
https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1060303054073929728

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm happy for giolosemoney

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It's almost as if - and please bear with me here, I might be out of line - but it's almost as if Chris, and by extension CIG, did not actually sit down and decide what this game was supposed to be before designing and selling high-fidelity art assets, and because of that now, just maybe, and this is just me thinking out loud, but maybe they're making it up as they go along.

:eyepop:

https://i.imgur.com/JYGtyy8.gifv

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
:laffo: Elite just deployed a chat system that spans across all instances. Solo, Private Group and Open.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9v151n/system_chat_crosses_gameplay_mode_solo_can_talk/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

starkebn posted:

Holy poo poo and piss (lots of piss) this is hilarious and I've never seen it before :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

no_recall posted:

:laffo: Elite just deployed a chat system that spans across all instances. Solo, Private Group and Open.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9v151n/system_chat_crosses_gameplay_mode_solo_can_talk/

They're also implementing player run orgs. You had "unofficial" official orgs before, as in players could influence the background simulation, but now you can actually join clan/guild/corp like thing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EmesiS posted:

It’s no joke! His name IS a (game) killing word.

:five:

I guess we know that the game is in danger of failing, now that it got Lethality's kiss of death.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Thoatse posted:

Holy poo poo and piss (lots of piss) this is hilarious and I've never seen it before :v:

I think it's the most persistent and open open world game I've ever seen

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

At least you caught the reference I threw in there.

My angle is more that any physics engine that you might *claim* to have is going to run into problems with pocket planets, mainly because the 1/r gradient for g is actually a thing. This is actually hand-crafting and lovingly polishing a millstone called 'scaling factors' that have to be introduced to make things work.

5 km2 of big empty is functionally the same at 500km2 of big empty for all intents and purposes, so I don't actually pay attention to the Skyrim talk; ultimately you can talk about the roughly 100,000ly x 70,000ly volume in Elite Dangerous in the same terms, but it's literally just garbage talk.

But start loving with physics and you have problems, and probably a bit of a gooey mess where your test pilot used to be.

Edit:

To expand a bit on this;

Remember that they offered you full newtonian flight, but on 1/6th scale planets, which means that orbit is about 18 miles up. Even if you fiddle G to have 1g at the surface, you'd have a noticeable and appreciable gravitational gradient between your head and your feet, and be careful when jumping.

Even floating the idea of a 'gas giant' roughly the same size as the Earth makes a loving mockery of any of the 'simulation' talk, and reinforces how hard they're trying to stuff some kind of spaceflight into an FPS engine.

To just touch on something else; I can actually see them trying to iterate on the flight model _after release_ now. But they're painting themselves into a hell of a corner with some amazing amounts of mediocrity. Build a properly sized gas giant, you loving hacks.

Now if I'm reading this correctly, you are saying in your usual succinct manner, that ramps can be fatal and don't get me started on doors?

Nod twice if you are being held captive and once if I should skip the fish and go straight for the chicken.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no_recall posted:

I'm sure there is going to be some taunting of the gankers at CGs by people flying PG/solo. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm sure there is going to be some taunting of the gankers at CGs by people flying PG/solo. :D

I'll definitely be one of them flying my T9. Alternate dimensions ftw.