Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spog posted:

Yeah, you are right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

But it basically destroyed any confidence in Chinese baby food products forever. Given that someone deliberately added loving melamine (used to make plastic plates) to baby food and it got through multiple food safety tests, I can't really blame them

Yeah, that's some 19th century poo poo right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My scam is also named rort.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

pidan posted:

The same thing happens in Europe and probably in large US cities too.

Chinese people love imported milk powder

Same here in Ireland; you're only allowed buy a fixed number of cans at a time to prevent shelves being left empty. At the same time I 100% understand why chinese parents want to ship in outside products - the very idea of your child starving to death because the loving babyfood is really ground up plastic is almost too nightmarish to comprehend.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Police Arrest Man For Allegedly Having Sex With Dying Beaver While High On Methamphetamine

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why is Australia so goddamn weird
The same reason people are deliberately causing droughts in California to keep almond fields watered.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Co-op queue-jump row leads to butter tub assault on woman

:britain:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Was Dwigt Rortugal involved?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If it was dead would he be charged with necrophilia instead

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

"Having Sex With" gently caress you.

One of my missions for 2019 is going to be to stamp out "having sex with" for nonconsensual encounters. "Rape" or "sexually assault," people!

"Beaver-raper" is kind of a fresh new expletive, also.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

AlbieQuirky posted:

You know beavers can't say no to a big.... stick

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AlbieQuirky posted:

One of my missions for 2019 is going to be to stamp out "having sex with" for nonconsensual encounters. "Rape" or "sexually assault," people!

Maybe he obtained consent from the beaver. Maybe the beaver, knowing he was about to die, wanted to go out with a bang.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Shut up, beaver-raper apologists. Dam you all to hell.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlbieQuirky posted:

:frogout:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Norbert and Daggett just looking in in dismay going all "EEEEEE" and "WHOOOO."

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

Why do you assume the beaver didn't consent?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Splicer posted:

My scam is also named rort.

Oh yeah? I'm more of a fraudulent tontine kinda guy, but that's cool.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AlbieQuirky posted:

"Well you can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant~"

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1060298396748136449

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

I was hoping this was Mermaid Shelly...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That loving expression is dead on though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pookah posted:

At the same time I 100% understand why chinese parents want to ship in outside products - the very idea of your child starving to death because the loving babyfood is really ground up plastic is almost too nightmarish to comprehend.

What happened in this case is that the milk company paid dairies for their milk at a varying rate depending on the protein content. This was to stop the dairies from watering down their milk before selling it.
The standard test for protein just checks the amount of nitrogen. So someone at one of the dairies realised that if they added some cheap industrial plasticiser to the milk they could water it down and still have it test as having a high protein content.
The dosage they used wouldn't be good for an adult drinking the milk, but it probably wouldn't cause acute problems and anyone that did get sick probably wouldn't link it to the milk. However, the milk company (who knew nothing of this) went on to turn the milk into milk powder, and then the company that bought the milk powder turned it into infant formula. The dosage was definitely enough to kill an infant, which it did.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

rodbeard posted:

That loving expression is dead on though.

I wonder if the police asked the suspect to smile but not too much, just to be 100% sure.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

"Boys, I think we've finally found Waldo."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

"Well you can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant~"

“Walk right in it’ll be on its back
Only $10 if you wanna take a crack”

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The Lone Badger posted:

What happened in this case is that the milk company paid dairies for their milk at a varying rate depending on the protein content. This was to stop the dairies from watering down their milk before selling it.
The standard test for protein just checks the amount of nitrogen. So someone at one of the dairies realised that if they added some cheap industrial plasticiser to the milk they could water it down and still have it test as having a high protein content.
The dosage they used wouldn't be good for an adult drinking the milk, but it probably wouldn't cause acute problems and anyone that did get sick probably wouldn't link it to the milk. However, the milk company (who knew nothing of this) went on to turn the milk into milk powder, and then the company that bought the milk powder turned it into infant formula. The dosage was definitely enough to kill an infant, which it did.

They also added the melamine to pet food, killing thousands of animals and sickening many more.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Chinese food safety is like a never-ending collection of :stare:. There was a scandal in Guangxi where customs officials found people trying to smuggle in meat from the 70s.

Edit: corrected the facts

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Nov 8, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Gato posted:

Chinese food safety is like a never-ending collection of :stare:. There was a scandal in Guangxi where customs officials found people trying to smuggle in meat from the 70s.

:randno:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
five thousand years of meats

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's aged, you philistines.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

How the hell does meat from the 70s still exist?

Like, I get that once someone finds it, it's gonna be sold because lol capitalism, but what chain of events led to it sitting around for 40+ years, presumably deep frozen or else it would have literally rotted away to nothing, only for someone to get sold now?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azathoth posted:

Like, I get that once someone finds it, it's gonna be sold because lol capitalism, but what chain of events led to it sitting around for 40+ years, presumably deep frozen or else it would have literally rotted away to nothing, only for someone to get sold now?

my meat has lasted since the 70s

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Azathoth posted:

You know those Imperial Japanese hold-outs who spent thirty years on some little island in the Pacific? Like that but a walled off warehouse in Shenzen. Passed over, forgotten, and all out of mouse traps.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randaconda posted:

my meat has lasted since the 70s

an official from Hunan province posted:

It was smelly and I nearly threw up when I opened the door

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Azathoth posted:

Presumably, some accountant has recorded the value of it when it was frozen and no-one ever wanted to be responsible for writing off the value of it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Don Gato posted:

China's food industry is my go-to example for why libertarianism and the *~free market~* is a loving terrible idea. And you barely have to go back a hundred years to see the same things happening in the US.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Besesoth posted:

China's food industry is my go-to example for why libertarianism and the *~free market~* is a loving terrible idea. And you barely have to go back a hundred years to see the same things happening in the US.

But China is communist and therefore the exact opposite of libertarianism. True libertarianism has never been tried.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Besesoth posted:

Have you ever read, The good old days, they were terrible?, by Otto Bettmann? Tons of pictures, engravings, and illustrations from Victorian era America. Two or three pages per subject, with a couple paragraphs of text. The food adulteration pages stick with me, axel grease for butter, watered down "milk" and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ask any older person about the "24 hour flu" that was so common when they were kids. Turns out that food poisoning wasvso ridiculously common that a lot of folks just straight up treated it like an unpreventable disease.

I still remember being in the room when my entire extended family pieced that one together. The collective silence as everyone silently pondered whether to tell Grandma, who was in the kitchen making Thanksgiving dinner, stands as one of the most hilarious moments of my childhood.

In true Midwestern fashion, we all decided to not talk about it.