Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

grack posted:

Hmm

Qualcomm QC2.0
Qualcomm QC3.0
USB-PD
Mediatek Pump
Huawei Supercharge 22.5W
Huawei Supercharge 40W
Oppo VOOC
OnePlus Dash (based on VOOC)
Motorola Turbo Charge
Apple Fast Charge
Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging

Yeah, we're getting there.

I wish I could put this in a thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
There may actually be two different versions of Motorola/Lenovo's charging standard as well. I'm not quite sure.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Serious question.

Is it still ok to grab any USB-C charger for my Pixel 2 XL and Pixelbook as long as it's a USB-C PD charger?

Is that the only way to know it won't gently caress up my devices?

Or is loving up devices a thing of the past with USB-C?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 7, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know how much the Pixelbook draws, but I'd be willing to use any charger from a reputable company. I'm thinking Anker, Monoprice, Amazon Basics, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anker has good 27-30w C chargers that will be good for both devices.

They are even coming out with a new tiny option soon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...gallium-nitride

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Uthor posted:

I don't know how much the Pixelbook draws, but I'd be willing to use any charger from a reputable company. I'm thinking Anker, Monoprice, Amazon Basics, etc.

Yup, if you stick with these brands you're going to probably be fine

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'll go to the grave thinking Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging is the best of those protocols.

*insert note explosion joke here etc.*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/11/07/samsung-infinity-flex-display/

This is not any kind of final hardware or their upcoming foldable phone and is just a demo but....interesting?

e: more info, apparently it's the final hardware but had a "disguise" on with intentionally dim lighting hence the boxy shape haha https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18072514/samsung-foldable-phone-screen-features-photos-sdc-2018

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 7, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is not any kind of final hardware or their upcoming foldable phone and is just a demo but....interesting?

e: more info, apparently it's the final hardware but had a "disguise" on with intentionally dim lighting hence the boxy shape haha https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18072514/samsung-foldable-phone-screen-features-photos-sdc-2018

Hell yeah, I want my Fallout Pipboy that can wrap around my arm and then unfold so I can make Sci-Fi "interacting with computer" noises "boop boop boop" and pretend I'm from the future.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's going to cost $1899 isn't it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sincx posted:

it's going to cost $1899 isn't it

Samsung's last-year flagship Android flip phone in China cost the equivalent of three grand US and this year's doesn't have even rumors of a price under two.

And it doesn't have a flexible display array.

Car money isn't out of the question.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm really worried about the longevity of anything that hinges or folds and is manipulated in that manner multiple times a day.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

couldcareless posted:

I'm really worried about the longevity of anything that hinges or folds and is manipulated in that manner multiple times a day.

I honestly think the target market isn't really thinking about the long term life of the device.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm not sure I've ever been in a situation where I wished my phone was a tablet

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just want them to release it so we can run this fad into the ground and be done with it. I'm so tired of hearing about folding phone rumors.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

After you've added a hinge mechanism, hardware for two screens, and the battery to drive them I would hope your next project would be to develop pockets large enough to hold such a monstrosity. Even if all of that comes to fruition you have to rely on Google to create the tools for apps to dynamically resize gracefully and on developers to implement that resizing well. I'm sure it won't just be Android tablets all over again with acres of whitespace and mis-sized elements of too small text everywhere. Did any app ever actually adjust to a tablet form factor well? If so, I never came across it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

couldcareless posted:

But you see, the advances in technology are not determined by what improves the conditions of users but by random engineering achievements approved by marketing departments, funded by business owners hopeful of profit. They will now spend a bunch of money on apps that make sense to fold, or perhaps even convolute something otherwise eminently useful while unfolded, in order to justify something foldable. Not even books, folded as gently caress since loving forever, will justify this, but I will not underestimate the tenacity of a well funded marketing department.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
That folding phone looks terrible but it'll probably move a few units on the novelty factor alone. It looks ridiculously thick though and unless that camouflage is ridiculously big it seems to have thick enough bezels on the front to make a pixel 2 blush.

Samsung is also bringing at least 3 different notched screens to market, two with middle notches one shaped like an O and one V shaped, and the front facing camera cutout notch as seen on that one Chinese phone.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LastInLine posted:

After you've added a hinge mechanism, hardware for two screens, and the battery to drive them I would hope your next project would be to develop pockets large enough to hold such a monstrosity.

This technology has existed since the early 2000s.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
You're going to need a complex cardboard cut-out to account for the adjustable dimensions.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the charger info guys!

Apparently new phone information showed up in the latest ARCore update. Maybe a mid-range Pixel.

Maybe a foldable Pixel! :v:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/11/07/possible-google-phone-codenames-bonito-sargo-pop-latest-arcore-update-apk-teardown/

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wish I could put this in a thread title.

20 standards and all of them suck

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

underage at the vape shop posted:

20 standards and all of them suck

Thank you

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Obligatory Pixel 3 cat picture.

e: imgur is broken and won't spit out anything larger than this. I've failed you all

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 8, 2018

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I was thinking about getting a Pixel 3, and my hand was forced when my HTC 10 rendered itself unusable last night (the USB port wouldn't take power).

The new phone is great! Gesture navigation wasn't hard for me to get used to, in spite of what I'd read about it.

Unfortunately I do not have a cat so I can't contribute a picture.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My sister gave me her Pixel 2 so I'm finally on a modern version of android. What happened to long pressing a notification and having the option for notifications for that app to be silent? On my old phone, I used this for Twitter because I constantly get notifications because I want to see every tweet from an account that tweets out sales, but I don't want to have my phone constantly beeping. Everything else makes a sound, and twitter was silent. This doesn't seem to exist in 9. Long press only gives me the option to keep showing or stop showing notifications from that app. On my old phone, I go to settings > apps and select an app, hit notifications and there's an option to show silently. On this phone, all I can do is either show notifications or not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Cojawfee posted:

My sister gave me her Pixel 2 so I'm finally on a modern version of android. What happened to long pressing a notification and having the option for notifications for that app to be silent? On my old phone, I used this for Twitter because I constantly get notifications because I want to see every tweet from an account that tweets out sales, but I don't want to have my phone constantly beeping. Everything else makes a sound, and twitter was silent. This doesn't seem to exist in 9. Long press only gives me the option to keep showing or stop showing notifications from that app. On my old phone, I go to settings > apps and select an app, hit notifications and there's an option to show silently. On this phone, all I can do is either show notifications or not.

Long press it, and tap the (i). All those options are still there, and more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Long press it, and tap the (i). All those options are still there, and more.

Ok, I accidentally touched the screen and apparently the sound options are under each check box in the twitter settings. I had no idea there were more settings by clicking on each of those. Thanks.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Cheap Trick posted:

I was thinking about getting a Pixel 3, and my hand was forced when my HTC 10 rendered itself unusable last night (the USB port wouldn't take power).

The new phone is great! Gesture navigation wasn't hard for me to get used to, in spite of what I'd read about it.

Unfortunately I do not have a cat so I can't contribute a picture.

Yes I like the gestures too. I really like the one to go back to the previous app. I don't mind the swipe up for the app drawer one. I can see what people mean by saying the icons shouldnt be there though, that would be nice to get that section of screen back.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

All this folding phone talk has me reminiscing about my Nokia e90. It came out after the first iPhone (2007) but was so incredible that I imported it from Europe. Never regretted it. Good thing it was still the baggy jeans era, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iESMAFV9p14&t=183s

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Cojawfee posted:

A+ sister, would ride again. What phone did you previously use? I'd love to hear the comparison between the old device and the Pixel.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, I accidentally touched the screen and apparently the sound options are under each check box in the twitter settings. I had no idea there were more settings by clicking on each of those. Thanks.

Yeah, terrible UI, there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A+ sister, would ride again. What phone did you previously use? I'd love to hear the comparison between the old device and the Pixel.

I had a Moto g5 plus. It's still a decent phone but it was impossible to take a picture. I'd have to open the camera app and have it crash four or five times before it finally opened and then it would take forever to take a picture. I was able to take a picture with the pixel 2 XL while walking and it wasn't blurry or anything. It would frequently bog down on websites with lots of ads. It was the Amazon version and there was no way to take it off being Amazon, so it was months behind on updates. No idea if it will ever even get 8.0. I think the latest update was July or August security updates.

I'm annoyed that Google always changes all the notification sounds in each version though. I miss the sounds from I think it was ice cream sandwich. Whichever version was running on the GNex.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I'm annoyed that Google always changes all the notification sounds in each version though. I miss the sounds from I think it was ice cream sandwich. Whichever version was running on the GNex.

I've been moving a notification sound since about then. Might be the one you want. I'll try to put up a Dropbox link this afternoon, if you'd like.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

same

Also lol the now 3 "Hangouts Message" that have accumulated over time

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Let's make sure we direct similar ire at OnePlus since their phones appear to be limited to 5v@2a when using USB-PD compliant equipment. They only charge at a faster rate with the included changer and cable.

ugh I'm super close to just doing the t-mobile 6T deal but stuff like this will make me feel like I'm...settling

any other random things that 2 years of my Pixel will have spoiled me over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For the most part it's been fine (but I haven't used it on network yet since the P3 is my primary driver.) What's nice is the T-Mobile version has the Google feed on the left panel so the launcher experience is very similar.

Aside from Android One devices, it's probably as close to stock Android as I've seen. One annoying thing is it's more likely to have a light/inverse navigation area on the bottom (likely due to burn in concerns) which I wish would change.

The charging thing is, eh..

I haven't used the "Dash" charger yet and am just using my normal PD chargers and it seems to be charging quick enough.

One thing to understand about rapid charging, for all devices, is it only comes into play at a low charge state. Once your battery gets above 60% or so, pretty much everything is going to charge at rates below standard 5v@2a standard limits.

It really at those low levels, below like 40% or so, where these specialized charging protocols really ramp up the wattage and the biggest difference in charge rate is. So, a lot depends on your use patterns. If your are likely to dip to a very low battery state and need a lot of charge quick, then you'll want to use the specialized charger. Otherwise, not that big of a deal.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I had a Moto g5 plus. It's still a decent phone but it was impossible to take a picture. I'd have to open the camera app and have it crash four or five times before it finally opened and then it would take forever to take a picture. I was able to take a picture with the pixel 2 XL while walking and it wasn't blurry or anything. It would frequently bog down on websites with lots of ads. It was the Amazon version and there was no way to take it off being Amazon, so it was months behind on updates. No idea if it will ever even get 8.0. I think the latest update was July or August security updates.

I thought the camera crash was a specific app using it but I guess the G5+ stock camera just sucks? Anyone have much luck with a replacement?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

syscall girl posted:

I thought the camera crash was a specific app using it but I guess the G5+ stock camera just sucks? Anyone have much luck with a replacement?

It's a widespread issue. If you're in warranty you might be able to get a replacement phone that suffers from the same issue. If you're outside of warranty, restarting the phone will buy a stability for a while in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The G5+ camera app never crashed for me until the update it got in august where it got a different layout, got youtube live integration and suddenly felt the need to show me the tutorial again. And now it does regularly. I'm absolutely convinced they just borked the app and any other camera app available shouldn't be affected.

This doesn't preclude the G5+ camera being a slow rear end piece of poo poo. That has been the case since forever.

Just got the 8.1 update on it yesterday by searching for updates. Plus security updates up to august.