Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I've seen at least two let's players that totally fell for it.

It's not really about falling for it, though, it's about how well they pull it off, in the game (no slip-ups in how "either of them" know things they shouldn't, there actually being two computers, overhearing two-sided conversations, etc). Which was pretty well, in my opinion.

And the 'twins' really go out of their way to stab the other in the back for no benefit other than spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

joylessdivision posted:

Or you know, not build games that are tantalizing for cross over and then not actually bother to balance anything to work together.

I think I've made this post before but I think a lot of Masquerade's original sprawlyness came from trying to encapsulate too much mythos at once. Gangrel for werewolves, various blood mages for people trying to play wizards, people looking to play Spike/Buffy, and each game released after that was realized independently.
How does cross-splat play work for ChronD releases? I've yet to read any of the books I bought because the r/relationships thread in GBS is a laugh riot.

Also, what was this about?
"Crescent Birthmarks Common in LA, Doctors Say
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA-According to sources at the Los Angeles County Board
of Health, doctors at area hospitals have reported an uncommon number of
crescent-shaped birthmarks appearing on female infants born within the past
two weeks."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How does cross-splat play work for ChronD releases?

It takes some thinking about because nobody even tried to make the splats equal in power, but they have certain traits that occupy the same role for each splat so that you can figure out how powers actually work when used against somebody from a different splat, unlike oWoD where you'd frequently auto-succeed at disabling Caine's powers just because Caine doesn't have a Primal Urge stat.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I think I've made this post before but I think a lot of Masquerade's original sprawlyness came from trying to encapsulate too much mythos at once. Gangrel for werewolves, various blood mages for people trying to play wizards, people looking to play Spike/Buffy, and each game released after that was realized independently.
How does cross-splat play work for ChronD releases? I've yet to read any of the books I bought because the r/relationships thread in GBS is a laugh riot.

Also, what was this about?
"Crescent Birthmarks Common in LA, Doctors Say
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA-According to sources at the Los Angeles County Board
of Health, doctors at area hospitals have reported an uncommon number of
crescent-shaped birthmarks appearing on female infants born within the past
two weeks."

The Last Daughter of Eve, who will decide the outcome of Gehenna and the survival of the things that still live, bears a crescent birthmark.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

The Last Daughter of Eve, who will decide the outcome of Gehenna and the survival of the things that still live, bears a crescent birthmark.

And the kids were far from the only ones. There's one vampire, a narrator, in the main Revised book and somebody else with it in Time of Thin Blood if I remember right.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah. The Last Daughter of Eve is a collective title, as it turns out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It turns out that the Last Daughter of Eve is readers like you.

Dec 26, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Poorly, but in general the power stat/resistance stat are explicitly transparent cross-game so you can generally resolve poo poo happening.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It’s always great to hear about oWoD Hunters being superpowered badasses because I’ve only ever played nWoD Hunters, who are guys with shotguns in a pickup truck who are really, really hoping that there’s enough stolen dynamite in the truck to be able to take out the fledgeling Vampire before it realizes what’s happening.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Oh good Christ no, CoD Hunters have a bunch of stuff that makes them more likely to survive actual combat. The Imbued are 95% just people, and all the monsters in the oWoD are so much scarier than the CoD versions. It's just that getting off cheating bullshit scales much better than being good at fighting. Like hell, CoD Hunters can raise the dead. Boy howdy would oWoD Hunters have really liked to have something like that.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Mors Rattus posted:

It turns out that the Last Daughter of Eve is readers like you.

the girl reading this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

blastron posted:

It’s always great to hear about oWoD Hunters being superpowered badasses because I’ve only ever played nWoD Hunters, who are guys with shotguns in a pickup truck who are really, really hoping that there’s enough stolen dynamite in the truck to be able to take out the fledgeling Vampire before it realizes what’s happening.

Having played and run Reckoning both, that's also what it pretty much comes down to. A lot of the Imbued's powers are for tracking or avoidance. Maybe a handful are direct combat, and none of them are the equivalent of the nastiness one of the other main splats can rain down.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

MollyMetroid posted:

the girl reading this

I always knew my life was a cosmic joke.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm pondering running RevMage for a couple of people who haven't played it. What would be a good theme for a short/medium campaign, 10-20 sessions? Disclaimer: DONT START MAGECHAT AGAIN, I just want a good generalist plot hook that encapsulates the horror of awakening and fighting back against the Consensus in a meaningful but dangerous sense.

I'd like to include going beyond death, but the 2nd/Rev Underworld isn't really my cup of tea. Would it be worth buying Geist:tSE for this?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tias posted:

I'm pondering running RevMage for a couple of people who haven't played it. What would be a good theme for a short/medium campaign, 10-20 sessions? Disclaimer: DONT START MAGECHAT AGAIN, I just want a good generalist plot hook that encapsulates the horror of awakening and fighting back against the Consensus in a meaningful but dangerous sense.

I'd like to include going beyond death, but the 2nd/Rev Underworld isn't really my cup of tea. Would it be worth buying Geist:tSE for this?

I think you'd want to look at Wraith/Wraith adjacent books instead of Geist, but I also wouldn't run a Mage game unless you already have a theme in mind because I've found that it just ends up being the in-game version of magechat without a strong guiding hand

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Honestly now I wanna run a Reckoning game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mulva posted:

Oh good Christ no, CoD Hunters have a bunch of stuff that makes them more likely to survive actual combat. The Imbued are 95% just people, and all the monsters in the oWoD are so much scarier than the CoD versions. It's just that getting off cheating bullshit scales much better than being good at fighting. Like hell, CoD Hunters can raise the dead. Boy howdy would oWoD Hunters have really liked to have something like that.

I'd say CoD 2E supernaturals are stronger than the oWOD ones (other than multiple actions, but that's mainly because after some point every game designer realized the action economy deserves respect and love), but Reckoning Hunters are indeed way weaker than T3 Vigil hunters, even weaker than some T2 Hunters too. Reckoning was probably one of the most effective horror games White Wolf released, which was hilarious given the pictures for the book were chosen by someone who spent the last weekend binging on Dusk Til Dawn, Buffy and Blade.

I am also getting an itch to run Reckoning with the present rules.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I've yet to read any of the books I bought because the r/relationships thread in GBS is a laugh riot.

i didn't know about this and didn't need to know about this, you rear end in a top hat. there's over three thousand pages to read, drat you, three thousand!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Rand Brittain posted:

It takes some thinking about because nobody even tried to make the splats equal in power, but they have certain traits that occupy the same role for each splat so that you can figure out how powers actually work when used against somebody from a different splat, unlike oWoD where you'd frequently auto-succeed at disabling Caine's powers just because Caine doesn't have a Primal Urge stat.

01011001 posted:

Poorly, but in general the power stat/resistance stat are explicitly transparent cross-game so you can generally resolve poo poo happening.

That's good to hear, I'm not planning on running mixed PC teams but I think two games of different splat PC groups set in the same region would be fun, or at least have most of the plot write itself. Mages agitating spirits that werewolves have to put down, vampires accidentally busting up Infrastructure in their push to gentrify their hunting grounds, an NPC demon leaking the location of beast lairs to hunter squads, kind of a "volleyball of problems" the two teams toss back and forth to each other.

edit- if I had my poo poo together for my current game i'd have made a minimap of the city outlining the Shin Ra-style antagonists' holdings and headquarters, let them target different places to make other encounters less difficult. For example, taking out the robotics lab means they can't field soldiers with exoskeletons or drones, attacking barracks reduces the number of footsoldiers. My players ended up not going for that kind of crunchy approach, maybe if I ever figure out PBP games I'll give that a try.

Loomer posted:

drat! that's a lot to ask of a baby.

Also, hey, I've found some tweets alleging that V5 canon holds that the ongoing Chechen purge is the work of gay vampires? Is that for real? https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1060494957994098689
Are we not doing the "some monsters from history are too vile for the world of darkness" thing? Cuz there's definitely tasteful ways they could have addressed this but goddamn this isn't one of them.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Are we not doing the "some monsters from history are too vile for the world of darkness" thing? Cuz there's definitely tasteful ways they could have addressed this but goddamn this isn't one of them.

I swear they'll take two steps forward with something like 'huh, that is an interesting direction to take Chicago' and not take one step back, but like pole vault backwards. Remember how in Revised there was a big move that vampires didn't cause widescale misery because then that takes responsibility from humans who do it in the real world? They should have stuck with that.

And yes, I realize that it's more about hunting vampires than vampires doing it, but at the same time that doesn't make it really better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Also, hey, I've found some tweets alleging that V5 canon holds that the ongoing Chechen purge is the work of gay vampires? Is that for real? https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1060494957994098689

Don't forget this.
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1060529729327947776

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Does anyone have a link to the documents that lists all the "automatic" abilities that Vampires and other splats get? Sorry to have to ask, but I couldn't find it in the first page or any of the recent ones.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

It's always loving wild to see contemporary/living actual folks show up in the horror story that is the WoD.

Makes me wonder how they handled folks like Mister Rogers and the like.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dr. Poz posted:

Does anyone have a link to the documents that lists all the "automatic" abilities that Vampires and other splats get? Sorry to have to ask, but I couldn't find it in the first page or any of the recent ones.

This one?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PST2RffkiDCJQ-w2Fptcyhkza9PQ__vATOpfgiDC9F0/edit?usp=sharing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

Makes me wonder how they handled folks like Mister Rogers and the like.

Clearly a Technocracy pawn designed to force the youngest generation to conform. Why, realizing how he was a tool of the Man caused countless Verbena to run away from their middle class homes!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a pretty bad decision for them to base things off of current real world stuff because it's not only tasteless in most cases but also made obsolete pretty quickly. The Beckoning in Syria was crazier when V5 was announced and they had the LARP's but Syria, and the tyrannical chaos of ISIS, are kind of under wraps at the moment. Kadyrov is probably not going anywhere. He's Putin's personal warlord and keeping things under control in Chechnya, a huge deal to the average Russian, but it's very possible he could get assassinated by someone or fall out of favor soon because things flip that fast in the world of mafia like dictatorships.

They should just file off the serial numbers and call it a day because honestly just using real people is super lazy and problematic for a number of reasons beyond blaming these monsters on fantasy monsters.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff. Thanks!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Glad that doc is still seeing use!

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Pillbug

Mors Rattus posted:

Glad that doc is still seeing use!

Did you put this together? If so, thanks! It's definitely getting use. One question for anyone who may know: Is this Requiem specific?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dr. Poz posted:

Did you put this together? If so, thanks! It's definitely getting use. One question for anyone who may know: Is this Requiem specific?

Yeah. More specifically, it's the stuff they get for free in their most recent edition. If you're running VtR 1e or VtM it isn't going to line up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I did, and what Lurks said.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's a pretty bad decision for them to base things off of current real world stuff because it's not only tasteless in most cases but also made obsolete pretty quickly. The Beckoning in Syria was crazier when V5 was announced and they had the LARP's but Syria, and the tyrannical chaos of ISIS, are kind of under wraps at the moment. Kadyrov is probably not going anywhere. He's Putin's personal warlord and keeping things under control in Chechnya, a huge deal to the average Russian, but it's very possible he could get assassinated by someone or fall out of favor soon because things flip that fast in the world of mafia like dictatorships.

They should just file off the serial numbers and call it a day because honestly just using real people is super lazy and problematic for a number of reasons beyond blaming these monsters on fantasy monsters.

Plus, what the hell kind of a story hook does that even provide? Pretend killing a capital-m-Monster in my tabletop game while he continues on his purge in the actual, real world? I don't need an entire setting book of "Fark But Scary," the news is already scary enough! We all know that humans are the real monster, it's the one universal fact internet-enabled first worlders can never escape. Making an actual war crime the fault of an imaginary vampire cabal is, just, boring.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've got an itch to finally play Vampire for the first time. Any particular reason 5e is a good or bad choice to do that?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Good:
- some of the new character mechanisms better reflect the mood of personal horror the game keeps pretending to aim for
- a few interesting metaplot developments

Bad:
- V20 just finished compiling and updating the best of old world, so if your players have a strong concept for what they want to do V20's more likely to have rules for it than V5
- Some of the metaplot developments are bad. (See above.)
- Requiem is also cool, I hear?

edit- In your shoes, for a first time game, I'd choose Requiem 2nd edition. The Chronicles of Darkness games are more thematically concise than the V20 line, and both V20 and V5 suffer (in my view) from the sprawling lore they draw from. I like V20 because it's a streamlined version of the system I already know, starting fresh I think you'll like Requiem 2nd edition best.

edit edit- I don't have a lot of personal experience with either Requiem so choose the edition you prefer!

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 8, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Good:
- some of the new character mechanisms better reflect the mood of personal horror the game keeps pretending to aim for
- a few interesting metaplot developments

Bad:
- V20 just finished compiling and updating the best of old world, so if your players have a strong concept for what they want to do V20's more likely to have rules for it than V5
- Some of the metaplot developments are bad. (See above.)
- Requiem is also cool, I hear?

edit- In your shoes, for a first time game, I'd choose Requiem 2nd edition. The Chronicles of Darkness games are more thematically concise than the V20 line, and both V20 and V5 suffer (in my view) from the sprawling lore they draw from. I like V20 because it's a streamlined version of the system I already know, starting fresh I think you'll like Requiem 2nd edition best.

Seconding this.

If you want just play Vampire because you like the idea of playing a vampire game and have no prior experience, play Requiem. And honestly, I might even recommend 1e over 2e for Requiem just because 2e did a lot to address specific complaints about 1e but it did so by making the game more dependent on controversial mechanics. Nothing gross, just Conditions, Beats, etc. I find 1e much more accessible with an upgrade to 2e further down the line once you know what you like but it might be easier to just play 2e out of the gate.

V20 is your bag if you just want the gonzo craziness of Masquerade - for instance, if you're coming from Bloodlines and your table wants that but more, play V20, it's quite good for what it is.

V5 is... I don't recommend playing V5. In another 4 or 5 years when we can basically make a 'fan cut' of V5 that excludes the worst parts and cherry picks the best, it might be worth it, but right now it's a couple of good ideas in a stew of truly terrible ideas (and awful layout and terrible art and...)

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Also, hey, I've found some tweets alleging that V5 canon holds that the ongoing Chechen purge is the work of gay vampires? Is that for real?

The details are a bit different (the 'media controversy' about gay people being persecuted is just part of the Masquerade to hide what's really going on. Kurieg posted the right paragraph, it's from the Camarilla book which has a large section called, 'Official Report of My Three Years' Mission in Chechnya, the Abrek Vampire Free State'

nofather fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 9, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mendrian posted:

V20 is your bag if you just want the gonzo craziness of Masquerade - for instance, if you're coming from Bloodlines and your table wants that but more, play V20, it's quite good for what it is.

What in particular does 20 recreate /capture about Bloodlines?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What in particular does 20 recreate /capture about Bloodlines?

It's the game Bloodlines is directly based on, but you only have to buy one or a few pretty good books that were written in the last decade to get all of it, instead of dozens of books from 20 years ago of wildly varying quality (many are lovely).

Revised (third edition, from '98ish) is pretty okay, too, and it's not 500 pages long but still contains the core elements for a mostly "complete" experience. So that's not a bad idea either. And more than V20, it's the specific edition Bloodlines was based on. It might be harder to get hold of though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
V20 is the only "good" Vampire corebook that you can buy as a non-scan, in fact.

I still haven't found out why worldofdarkness.com has so many new PDF files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
What exactly is the Beckoning anyway? I keep seeing it referred to but my scattershot reading of V5 has left me drawing a blank.