Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

Same.

I increasingly see a Balkanized country where how poo poo your life is depends entirely on what state you are in and with the poo poo-states constantly trying to pull the lucky ones back down.

But Mississippi has always existed :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shifty Pony posted:

Same.

I increasingly see a Balkanized country where how poo poo your life is depends entirely on what state you are in and with the poo poo-states constantly trying to pull the lucky ones back down.

Well, that's ending soon, since SCOTUS can just declare things nationwide if Trump gets enough picks

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

It was Ted Cruz though.

"If Ted Cruz was shot in the middle of the Senate and the trial was in the Senate, no one would convict you." - Lindsay Graham

Basically everyone, EVERYONE hates Ted Cruz, voting him in again was the equivalent of a Texan hatefuck.

That doesn't explain the down-ballot effects.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

corn in the bible posted:

Well, that's ending soon, since SCOTUS can just declare things nationwide if Trump gets enough picks

With RBG in the hospital... that could be sooner than later :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Random Stranger posted:

It's hard to imagine a worse option for attorney general than Jeff Sessions. I mean, a randomly selected openly racist sheriff, Don Jr., or a mystically animated statue of a confederate general would all be worse choices, but they'd never get past the senate.

Just kidding, they'd totally be confirmed in an almost party line vote with one or two dems in red states voting to confirm.

Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane or the dude from Smokey and the Bandit.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think Beto needs to keep his organization intact and challenge Cornyn in 2020. Cornyn is a fossil and has no idea how to run a real campaign anymore.

Beto would be blown out by Cornyn in a presidential year. There are a lot more democrats in Texas than previous years, but there are a LOT of Republicans

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think Beto needs to keep his organization intact and challenge Cornyn in 2020. Cornyn is a fossil and has no idea how to run a real campaign anymore.

Oh I absolutely agree. And here's the thing, if Beto goes all in again, as popular as he is, there's a very good chance that even if he loses again he will push more Democrats into Republican seats at a state level which will go a long way to unfucking everything.

Kimsemus posted:

It was Ted Cruz though.

"If Ted Cruz was shot in the middle of the Senate and the trial was in the Senate, no one would convict you." - Lindsay Graham

Basically everyone, EVERYONE hates Ted Cruz, voting him in again was the equivalent of a Texan hatefuck.

And he barely held on during an off year Tell me, what happens in a Presidential Election Year when Texas actually recorded more votes in the 2018 general election than the 2016 one?

Man, I don't know who in the Texas Politics thread called it but they sure were right. Beto getting a narrow loss is something that everyone else will freak about about but will just pump us Texas Democrats up. Everyone else can bitch, whine and moan all they want but for the first time I can ever remember we feel we have a loving chance and I, at least, will fight to keep that chance alive.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It bothers me that I am so desensitized to murder that RBG being injured registers 10x more than a mass shooting

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Jarmak posted:

That doesn't explain the down-ballot effects.

What? Yes it does.

The Republican poo poo governor was re-elected by more than half a million when Cruz won by a mere 200k

Certainly Beto had down-ballot effects in major cities voting in local elections but not statewide

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sure, Beto is free to run in 2020 and it might do wonders for more local elections like it did this week, but if you people out in the sane parts of the country think that he's flipping John Cornyn you're a goddamn idiot

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Can't confirm but some reports are saying a neighbour of Long describes him as a military veteran with PTSD.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Alkydere posted:

Oh I absolutely agree. And here's the thing, if Beto goes all in again, as popular as he is, there's a very good chance that even if he loses again he will push more Democrats into Republican seats at a state level which will go a long way to unfucking everything.

And he barely held on during an off year Tell me, what happens in a Presidential Election Year when Texas actually recorded more votes in the 2018 general election than the 2016 one?

Man, I don't know who in the Texas Politics thread called it but they sure were right. Beto getting a narrow loss is something that everyone else will freak about about but will just pump us Texas Democrats up. Everyone else can bitch, whine and moan all they want but for the first time I can ever remember we feel we have a loving chance and I, at least, will fight to keep that chance alive.

I don't disagree, and I'm not saying Beto et al won't have a shot in 2020, but I'm also saying that Beto was a likable guy running against one of the most hated politicians in modern american history by BOTH parties.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I still don't understand how the people of Texas could go against the wishes of Known Awesome Texan Willie Nelson by not electing Beto. :smith:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CuddleCryptid posted:

It bothers me that I am so desensitized to murder that RBG being injured registers 10x more than a mass shooting
Meh. I got murdered once. Was nbd.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

What? Yes it does.

The Republican poo poo governor was re-elected by more than half a million when Cruz won by a mere 200k

Certainly Beto had down-ballot effects in major cities voting in local elections but not statewide

Being elected by more than half a million is still worse than governors have done in the past, and some local judges and stuff got flipped even in weird places. it owns

gently caress, 700 more people in west texas and will hurd would have been out of a job and god, that would have been so nice

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Cornyn does not have any of the major drawbacks that Ted Cruz does-- he basically considered the standard Texas Republican by conservatives I have talked to. Beto would be taken down easily by him in 2020, so he should wait a bit before making a return to politics and focus on using his campaign infrastructure to help the state Dems (but they're incompetent so maybe that won't work unless he's in charge).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kimsemus posted:

But Mississippi has always existed :smuggo:

I said "increasingly", that should cover the continued existence of civil rights hellholes like Mississippi.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alkydere posted:

I suspect you and a lot of people are underestimating what Beto did in Texas. That "Republican in Texas" advantage might not be as strong as people believe it is anymore after this year's election. He finally, finally fired up an eternally depressed section of democratic voters in a way they haven't been in over a decade. His efforts were a massive tailwind for a bunch of state and local level positions that are now solid Dem. Including how every elected judge in Houston was flipped from R to D, with several being outright DSA.

There's still very much an R advantage in Texas, but Beto put some rather big cracks in the dam and we'll see if the R's can seal the leaks against an energized Democratic base. And even if they can, Beto made it very, very clear that the GOP is now actually going to have to spend money to keep their hold on Texas instead of just getting it for free. Money that will have to come from somewhere.

He did so well he actually broke a (local) gerrymander to the point it worked against Republicans:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1060540663106809856

I think that Beto basically demonstrated Texas isn't there yet - he lost despite being an ideal candidate, in a very favorable year, against a terrible candidate - but he only lost by 2.5%. I don't think that he's gonna win if he runs in 2020 - Cornyn isn't Cruz, and running when Trump is on the ballot will be much harder. But I think that winning local elections has given Texas dems a power base and a deeper bench, and now they need to spend the next two years trying to register the latino community to vote - everything I read was basically that even this year Democrats didn't do a good enough job with latinos, because you need a different outreach strategy, and there's still a ton of votes there that you can get if you put in the effort and build latino-specific registration and turnout operations.

Politics is weird though - you've got someone like Beto who just demonstrated he's a phenomenal talent, and now he's going to be basically unemployed for two years and you've got to find a good spot for him to run in 2020 and (aside from VP) I can't think of any good ones. A statewide Texas office is likely to be a loser (if there are even any up for election in 2020 aside from the Senate), and a more local office may be too much of a downgrade.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Apparently RBG fell and broke some ribs at court? RIP the Supreme Court.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lid posted:

Can't confirm but some reports are saying a neighbour of Long describes him as a military veteran with PTSD.

that doesnt' exclude the incel theory

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Prester Jane posted:

Manchin was the deciding vote to put a massive anti-lgbt and anti-woman bigot on to the Supreme Court- where said bigot is promptly going to work very hard to take away rights from those groups. At the time support for Mansion was justified because he was necessary to flip the Senate, and like all mcgarty posters who objected I was lectured repeatedly on how flipping the Senate would justify all the ill that Manchin was doing.

What I am saying is that you might want to check your privilege there yt before you go lecturing about how Manchin is good, especially post Kacanaugh, Manchin is objectively not good- he is arguably necessary and support for him is potentially justifiable. But he is simply not good and you sound incredibly privileged/out of touch when you insist that he is.

This is false, he was not the deciding vote

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Lid posted:

Cops are doing a press conference right now and confirmed he was a marine at some point then all the reporters started asking about PTSD.

They gave out this name too but I already forgot it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

friendbot2000 posted:

I don't think this is true. Doug Jones won through the votes of black men and women. We can do that again. Texas showed us that EVERY state can be competitive. Democrats just need a candidate with charisma that will bring people to the polls. I know that things look bleak because...Alabama, but every state can be won if you run an actual person and not an empty suit.

Doug Jones does have kind of an electricity and charisma, if you live here at least, just from being a giant slayer, and the guy who prosecuted the Birmingham bombings. His support for CHIP really helped get him through and I think if he is vocal about a couple of red meat working class issues like fight for fifteen and guaranteed family leave he has a shot.

And he held firm on important votes like Kavanaugh even when he had political cover.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 8, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

He did so well he actually broke a (local) gerrymander to the point it worked against Republicans:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1060540663106809856

I think that Beto basically demonstrated Texas isn't there yet - he lost despite being an ideal candidate, in a very favorable year, against a terrible candidate - but he only lost by 2.5%. I don't think that he's gonna win if he runs in 2020 - Cornyn isn't Cruz, and running when Trump is on the ballot will be much harder. But I think that winning local elections has given Texas dems a power base and a deeper bench, and now they need to spend the next two years trying to register the latino community to vote - everything I read was basically that even this year Democrats didn't do a good enough job with latinos, because you need a different outreach strategy, and there's still a ton of votes there that you can get if you put in the effort and build latino-specific registration and turnout operations.

yeah and also the entirety of houston's court system is now run by democrats lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

that doesnt' exclude the incel theory

Not at all

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lid posted:

Okay, but this was very clearly premeditated. Someone doesn't make smoke grenades in the middle of a PTSD attack

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1060548253337444352

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

yeah and also the entirety of houston's court system is now run by democrats lol

it's still stunning to me that houston - a giant parking lot filled with oil and gas companies - turned blue

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

Okay, but this was very clearly premeditated. Someone doesn't make smoke grenades in the middle of a PTSD attack

if you already own them though... you can buy e-smoke grenades from even paintball stores for like 2 bucks a pop.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Kimsemus posted:

No they can't. The standard is constitutional. It's the thread that runs through everything from Terry v Ohio through Heller & McDonald. To contort the standard in this way would basically destroy it. It's also VERY hard to move as a needle of judgment since it's been deemed to be written into the constitution.
But that doesn't matter as long as they can choose to rule, separately, that it's an undue burden for gun buyers to have to wait a few days or register their purchase, but also that it's not an undue burden for abortion clinics to be required to be attached to a regular hospital and follow a long list of arbitrary laws designed to shut them down.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

CuddleCryptid posted:

Don't mistake saying PTSD as if it explains or justifies this. 99.9% of PTSD aren't doing this. He's a murderer and will not be OUR VETS.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"Now that I've personally rigged my own election, later shitlords! See you in Savannah!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hahahaha

I don't know if I'm being naive here, but he strikes me as being too spineless to really go all the way on stuff like obstructing the Mueller investigation and separating families. More of an indirect "make myself rich" evil than a direct "I derive pleasure from making minorities' lives miserable" malevolence.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

HappyHippo posted:

This is false, he was not the deciding vote

No, he was literally the deciding vote. He should have at the very least forced the Republicans to do whatever they would have had to do to pass Kavanagh without him- instead he chose to be the deciding vote and to give one of the GOP Senators a hall pass.

When it came time to actually put the votes down on record Manchin was the deciding vote. That's what matters here.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Beto should run in Texas in 2020 no matter how much of a snowball's chance he has.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Prester Jane posted:

No, he was literally the deciding vote. He should have at the very least Force the Republicans to do whatever they would have had to do to pass Kavanagh without him, instead he decided to be the deciding vote and to give one of the GOP Senators a hall pass.

When it came time to actually put the votes down on record Manchin was the deciding vote. That's what matters here.

Collins was the deciding vote, not Manchin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Lemming posted:

Hahahaha

I don't know if I'm being naive here, but he strikes me as being too spineless to really go all the way on stuff like obstructing the Mueller investigation and separating families. More of an indirect "make myself rich" evil than a direct "I derive pleasure from making minorities' lives miserable" malevolence.

Yeah this would actually be an amazing choice but not in the way Trump or whoever thinks.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"Now that I've personally rigged my own election, later shitlords! See you in Savannah!"

Atlanta is the capital. Unless you’re saying he’s just going onget plastered somewhere in which case yes savannah is God’s country.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

Hahahaha

he's repeatedly said he supports the mueller probe.

also he put Jared's dad in jail and got fired from the transition because of Jared, and probably relishes the idea of supporting anyone who might gently caress him over

and he'd have to recuse for the same reason as Sessions

it's a pretty weird, dumb choice that wouldn't accomplish Trump's goals so... it might happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pookel posted:

But that doesn't matter as long as they can choose to rule, separately, that it's an undue burden for gun buyers to have to wait a few days or register their purchase, but also that it's not an undue burden for abortion clinics to be required to be attached to a regular hospital and follow a long list of arbitrary laws designed to shut them down.

eventually we'll settle on it not being an undue burden for people to have to fly to puerto rico for abortions