Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If anything they'll start developing the Not-Lightning game based on the CGI short they showed us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aranea nooooooo :negative:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
All those people who said 'oh I'll play FFXV when they finish making content for it' are now stuck having to play it. Lol rip.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Does taking your ball and going home really count as 'finishing'

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have yet to muster my will to finish FFXII. Someone gifted danganronpa to me and I just lost interest in FFXII afterwards. But I'm halfway through it so I'll do it, eventually.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
From my experience getting halfway through a game only decreases your odds of ever going back to it and finishing it "eventually".

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

In other news, Ep Ardyn is looking pretty good with lots of new reveals

https://youtu.be/H7jw5d5teeQ

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

All those people who said 'oh I'll play FFXV when they finish making content for it' are now stuck having to play it. Lol rip.

Jokes on you I really enjoyed XV 1.0 and am looking forward to experiencing all the changes they’ve made

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kanfy posted:

From my experience getting halfway through a game only decreases your odds of ever going back to it and finishing it "eventually".

It took me 5 years to finish Mario 64 and 15 years for me to finish Sonic Adventure 1, two games I got halfway and stopped, but I did it. It may take long, but I'll do it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WaltherFeng posted:

In other news, Ep Ardyn is looking pretty good with lots of new reveals

https://youtu.be/H7jw5d5teeQ

That actually looks really cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

If anything they'll start developing the Not-Lightning game based on the CGI short they showed us.

Aranea Returns: Final Fantasy 15-3 2

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Saint Freak posted:

Man I made that promise thinking that 2020 was the year it would die, but now I have to play it starting March 2019? I have the game sitting in my shelf since release date

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Goddammit

I like XV a lot. Yes, it's flawed, but it's good. I was looking forward to all the DLC. SE stop loving around, you do this poo poo too often now.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If you buy Royal Ediiton used are you missing out on the DLC, or is the presence of that disc enough to activate ownership?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly, it's starting to sound like S-E higher ups are the same as a lot of Western big name companies: out of touch with their audience and prone to making dumb choices that only hurt both the lower tier employees and the customer base. There was a point where it felt like it was turning around, but nope, turns out nothing has changed, S-E still sucks.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Wendell posted:

If you buy Royal Ediiton used are you missing out on the DLC, or is the presence of that disc enough to activate ownership?

Pretty sure its just FFXV 1.0 with a voucher inside, so dont do this

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Owari Tabata

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gologle posted:

Honestly, it's starting to sound like S-E higher ups are the same as a lot of Western big name companies: out of touch with their audience and prone to making dumb choices that only hurt both the lower tier employees and the customer base. There was a point where it felt like it was turning around, but nope, turns out nothing has changed, S-E still sucks.

at least Hitman escaped I guess

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
RIP, I was really lookin forward to getting a new CPU next year and cranking the settings with all the XV DLC :smith:. Another here that really dug the game and wanted more stuff to come out for it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i wonder if this final shot will still cost like 20 bucks lol

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

Nope. You're gonna play as a sentient pile of laundry and you're gonna like it.

:lol:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure its just FFXV 1.0 with a voucher inside, so dont do this

Super rude of them! Thanks.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Wendell posted:

Super rude of them! Thanks.

The game goes on sale for 50% off a lot so I am sure Sony / Steam will have it for a good price if you wait for a holiday sale. I'm tempted to pick up the PC version now to try out my new video card and the DLC.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Here's a random FF8 question: was Irvine supposed to be a SeeD or is he just some guy? I'm not sure if they ever explain what his deal really is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's a SeeD.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mega64 posted:

The Final Fantasy franchise is clearly not dead because even with the utter insanity that was its development cycle, FF15 somehow ended up good, but...

HOW THE gently caress IS THIS STILL HAPPENING, WHAT IN THE EVERLOVING gently caress IS WRONG WITH THE MANAGEMENT AT SQUARE-ENIX THAT THEIR BIG PROJECTS KEEP ENDING UP IN DEVELOPMENT HELL

It's odd because they've been solid everywhere else. FF14 post-1.0, Dragon Quest, their mobile games, their small and mid-tier releases like Octopath... They've all been going swimmingly. They really need to re-examine their management style for AAA games (for instance, give Nomura one project to work on so he can actually focus on it) and maybe consider scaling back on that altogether and focus on the things they can actually do well, like everything else.

SE is still for some reason convinced that the main thing people want out of FF is "high-budget high-concept blockbusters that push hardware to its limits and take forever to make all the modeling poo poo for from scratch," rather than "RPGs of decent length, with generally good writing and oddball setting elements"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Looking back on XV I'm reminded of the May Leaks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

supergayboy posted:

Here's a random FF8 question: was Irvine supposed to be a SeeD or is he just some guy? I'm not sure if they ever explain what his deal really is.

SeeD is an exclusive Balamb Garden thing. No other Garden has them.

So did anyone ever try to fill the Sphere Grid without using the Don Tonberry trick? I haven't even done it yet, I was just testing out Overdrive > AP in the Omega Ruins and decided to Google for tips and found out about this trick. It seems like the only reasonable way to gain the required levels.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I'm pretty sure the idea is that you're supposed to experiment/use a strategy guide to figure out something like the don tonberry trick considering that overdrive->AP is a thing that exists. I couldn't imagine having to grind out sphere levels in the end game any other way. The sphere grid is so monstrously huge there isn't really a reason to find alternatives.

If you actually want to do all the post game stuff, sphere levels will be the least of your problems.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 10, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

supergayboy posted:

He's a Galbadia guy who's basically loaned to Balamb, so not a SeeD but I believe the Galbadia equivalent.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, Irvine is the best sniper Galbadia has to offer for the mission against Edea. Beyond that, Galbadia Garden was also jumping the gun on how to approach the mission because they were expecting Edea to take them on first, so they wanted to stage an ambush to nip her in the bud before she became too much of a threat.

Promising Garden students are sent to Balamb for the field exam, which is why Selphie came from Trabia at the beginning of the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, Irvine is the best sniper Galbadia has to offer for the mission against Edea.

Interesting that you never see another sniper in Galbadia

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You're automatically the best if you're the only

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

swallowed up by the more attractive hockey program

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

You're automatically the best if you're the only

But also the worst.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean his aim was perfect, he just gets nervous when he realises he has to shoot the orphanage matron

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"I didn't realise being a sniper would mean I'd have to shoot people, I just got into it to pick up girls." is basically Irvine's story.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

The Grimace posted:

Beyond that, Galbadia Garden was also jumping the gun on how to approach the mission because they were expecting Edea to take them on first, so they wanted to stage an ambush to nip her in the bud before she became too much of a threat.

Except that this isn't even actually the case, because Galbadia Garden was working with Edea from the beginning, and the entire mission was a setup meant to provide an excuse for a counterattack against Balamb Garden. Everything from Seifer portaling away with Edea onward was Squall and his friends being taken advantage of because they were naive and desperate. This also means that Irvine couldn't have killed her, even if he had taken the shot when he was supposed to.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

"I didn't realise being a sniper would mean I'd have to shoot people, I just got into it to pick up girls." is basically Irvine's story.

I mean it was more like "I didn't realize my first mission would be shooting my own mother in the face".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So did anyone ever try to fill the Sphere Grid without using the Don Tonberry trick?

i found this incredibly easy trick to grind spheres, its called cheating