Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

corn in the bible posted:

yeah and also the entirety of houston's court system is now run by democrats lol

That one republican judge having a temper tantrum and just releasing all juvenile defendants was just great :allears:

Also apparently two of the judges kicked out were responsible for the majority of juvenile PoC sent to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prester Jane posted:

No, he was literally the deciding vote. He should have at the very least Force the Republicans to do whatever they would have had to do to pass Kavanagh without him, instead he decided to be the deciding vote and to give one of the GOP Senators a hall pass.

When it came time to actually put the votes down on record Manchin was the deciding vote. That's what matters here.

He was only the deciding vote in that any given vote can arguably be called a "deciding" vote. HIs vote was not announced until after other announcements had made his vote moot. You can argue he made some private statement first but that's speculative.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
god loving drat it rbg

that is all

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Prester Jane posted:

No, he was literally the deciding vote. He should have at the very least forced the Republicans to do whatever they would have had to do to pass Kavanagh without him- instead he chose to be the deciding vote and to give one of the GOP Senators a hall pass.

When it came time to actually put the votes down on record Manchin was the deciding vote. That's what matters here.

50-48. If it were 49-49, Pence puts him in. That is not the deciding vote.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

we've seen a lot of 'zeroing in on Roger Stone' reports but here's some of the first confirmed requests about Stone's contacts with the trump campaign (as opposed to wikileaks)

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1060550600964870146

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/gmoomaw/status/1060200484567506954

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

yeah and also the entirety of houston's court system is now run by democrats lol

It's extremely good

Imagine these 19 women(out of 75 judges voted in) replacing 19 chuds because that's exactly what happened. Every black woman won her race.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Atlanta is the capital. Unless you’re saying he’s just going onget plastered somewhere in which case yes savannah is God’s country.

Why did I think Savannah was the capital? God, I need to go back to fifth grade geography. :saddowns:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

he's repeatedly said he supports the mueller probe.

also he put Jared's dad in jail and got fired from the transition because of Jared, and probably relishes the idea of supporting anyone who might gently caress him over

and he'd have to recuse for the same reason as Sessions

it's a pretty weird, dumb choice that wouldn't accomplish Trump's goals so... it might happen?

He also kneecapped Rubio for Trump in that debate, and is an unabashed suckup to get what he wants.

I could see him bullshitting Trump into thinking he's "loyal" then encouraging Mueller to piledrive Kushner just for funsies.

He might not even need to be circumspect about it, Trump would probably actually be all for a "pin it all on Kushner" strategy.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He was only the deciding vote in that any given vote can arguably be called a "deciding" vote. HIs vote was not announced until after other announcements had made his vote moot. You can argue he made some private statement first but that's speculative.

When it came time to actually do the deed, he cast the deciding vote. That's what matters.

HappyHippo posted:

No, he chose to be the deciding vote (because he perceived personal gain in throwing LGBT/Women under the bus) instead of making Pence do it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

also there is no sense in which he was the deciding vote, because kavanaugh was confirmed by two votes. the vote was 50-48, meaning you needed to flip two votes because of the VP tiebreaker and no one vote was the deciding vote in the technical "when you win by one, every vote is the deciding vote" sense. so there's only the actual, useful meaning of the deciding vote, the person whose vote actually ended any chance he would not be confirmed - Collins.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

that's not what deciding means. he did not cast the deciding vote, collins did.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

For as much bitching about how nyt (they do) paints trump in a far too favorable light, today’s paper at school has a nice headline. Loyalist is a good way to put the state of things.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

its curtains for Kevin posted:

For as much bitching about how nyt (they do) paints trump in a far too favorable light, today’s paper at school has a nice headline. Loyalist is a good way to put the state of things.

They're nicer than me. I consider him a political hack.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Blitz7x posted:

It's extremely good

Imagine these 19 women(out of 75 judges voted in) replacing 19 chuds because that's exactly what happened. Every black woman won her race.

yes, and i realize that this level of turnout's probably not sustainable and they'll go back to gop assholes over time, but also a lot of judicial seats simply go unopposed because, hey, why bother? seems like that might stop happening now that people have shown you can, you know, win them sometimes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

He also kneecapped Rubio for Trump in that debate, and is an unabashed suckup to get what he wants.

I could see him bullshitting Trump into thinking he's "loyal" then encouraging Mueller to piledrive Kushner just for funsies.

He might not even need to be circumspect about it, Trump would probably actually be all for a "pin it all on Kushner" strategy.

I hate Christie's stinking toady guts but he'd be light-years better than Kobach or Bondi at Justice, so if I have to pick a horse, he's my horse.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

It doesn't seem like this fixes the problem--recounts never overturn races and certainly not ones as far apart as that one was

Hi, Virginia here, you’re wrong and uninformed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

he's repeatedly said he supports the mueller probe.

also he put Jared's dad in jail and got fired from the transition because of Jared, and probably relishes the idea of supporting anyone who might gently caress him over

and he'd have to recuse for the same reason as Sessions

it's a pretty weird, dumb choice that wouldn't accomplish Trump's goals so... it might happen?

yeah chris christie probably really, really wants to be there to smile and wave at Kushner as he's led away in handcuffs

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I hate Christie's stinking toady guts but he'd be light-years better than Kobach or Bondi at Justice, so if I have to pick a horse, he's my horse.

pence's ears perk up for a moment

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Hi, Virginia here, you’re wrong and uninformed

I'd be ecstatic for it to happen so I'm willing to live and hope

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The only reason Christie is being considered is so Trump can poo poo-crush his spirit again when he laughs at him and says it was a joke after he picks Kobach.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

When it came time to actually do the deed, he cast the deciding vote. That's what matters.

No, he chose to be the deciding vote (because he perceived personal gain in throwing LGBT/Women under the bus) instead of making Pence do it.

No one cares about your made up definition of a deciding vote. If he voted the other way Kavanaugh would still be confirmed. That is not "deciding."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Prester Jane posted:

No, he chose to be the deciding vote instead of making Pence do it.

when you decide to be a "technically correct" nitwit, you need to actually be technically correct, and you are not correct no matter how badly you try to mangle the english language to turn every vote into a "deciding vote"

"well, the vote was 68-32, but one of the votes in the 68 was technically the deciding vote because they chose to be the deciding vote instead of making one of the other 67 be it, which is a useful and intelligable use of the phrase 'deciding vote' instead of redefining a term into meaninglessness in a vain attempt to not be wrong"

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

DandyLion posted:

The only reason Christie is being considered is so Trump can poo poo-crush his spirit again when he laughs at him and says it was a joke after he picks Kobach.

That's very appealing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

VP only breaks the tie if it's 50-50

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eke out posted:

we've seen a lot of 'zeroing in on Roger Stone' reports but here's some of the first confirmed requests about Stone's contacts with the trump campaign (as opposed to wikileaks)

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1060550600964870146

This means he already has those call logs, correct? And is asking for Trump to produce a copy so they can check for deletion, yes?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah chris christie probably really, really wants to be there to smile and wave at Kushner as he's led away in handcuffs

pence's ears perk up for a moment

I think that if the Senate has their way that they will tell Trump he can easily get Christie confirmed with 60+ votes and he will get all kinds of sloppy media blowjobs for appointing a "moderate" (even though Christie isn't really a moderate), so could be induced to do it. Plus, Christie did bow and scrape and endorse Trump during the campaign and you know how much Donny loves having his ring kissed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prester Jane posted:

THat's not what "deciding vote" means and I wish you wouldn't do this sort of fact-agnostic derail.

Like, your actual point was fine without trying to re-define the meaning of the phrase "deciding vote". Instead now the discussion is going down this weird semantic derail because nothing distracts goons like a factually inaccurate statement about semantics.

Just make your argument without gilding it. You can argue Manchin's horrible in a lot of other ways without making Kavanaugh his fault too.

Like, just say "Look, Manchin voted for Kavanaugh, he's horrible." Point made, and it's factually indisputable.

Whether or not your assertion that Manchin was the deciding vote is correct, it is a weak point that causes distraction.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

when you decide to be a "technically correct" nitwit, you need to actually be technically correct, and you are not correct no matter how badly you try to mangle the english language to turn every vote into a "deciding vote"

"well, the vote was 68-32, but one of the votes in the 68 was technically the deciding vote because they chose to be the deciding vote instead of making one of the other 67 be it, which is a useful and intelligable use of the phrase 'deciding vote' instead of redefining a term into meaninglessness in a vain attempt to not be wrong"

but i didn't even say anything in this conversation!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

not correct

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The NYT does lots of good anti-Trump reporting, and lots of pants-shittingly awful BOTH SIDES :decorum: editorializing.

With Haberman's shitfuck access "journalism" tweeting on the side.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Trasson posted:

Beto should run in Texas in 2020 no matter how much of a snowball's chance he has.

Yes! New plan: kidnap Beto's, uh, dog, I guess? Every two years and say he only gets the pooch back if he finds something to run for statewide.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/cnnadam/status/1060552948529459200

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FuturePastNow posted:

Wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
get ready for a third chud-justice!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

its curtains for Kevin posted:

This is a plot-exposition front page for an establishing shot of our world if ever there was one. Or maybe for spinning out at us wildly during a montage.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Nope.

Here's Pence breaking a 49-49 tie: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00040

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Any NC goons want to confirm something for me? It appears based on local news articles that Roy Cooper is moderately popular in NC despite his ongoing battles with the legislature. Would that be a fair assessment?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I dunno is a horse so fat that it can't walk better than a nazi horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

OH GOD WRITE FASTER

STAY UP ALL NIGHT