Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So you'd be fine with me voting for Trump I suppose. Funny how that works, I'm an idiot for not voting, but if I voted for a candidate YOU don't like I'm even worse lol.

Go ahead and think what you want I really don't care, I was just defending people like myself that chose not to vote this time :shrug:

Also I'm going to teach my son to do whatever he feels like doing and I'm not going to hold it against him either way :)

You started out on this topic because you were against compulsory voting. It's ok if you think that's a freedom you should have to not vote. But then you switched it to the quality of the candidates and in that thought you are getting closer to my point. Guess what? If everyone had to vote not only do you have the choice to show up and vote for no one anyway, but there will be more quality candidates to vote for. If it doesn't cost billions just to get you to the poll then good people who don't have billions of money bankrolled by the major parties and donors pushing an agenda can do a campaign.
Of course the USA will have to fix gerrymandering and first past the post voting, but getting people out to vote is the first biggest issue and was my main point (obscene costs, corruption and annoying ad campaigns, robo calls, texts etc which is all done just to get people to polling places to vote and less of that would happen if nearly everyone was already having to go vote) E: Also it makes little sense to say "I don't like candidates so I don't vote" when so many places have state amendments, bylaws or other business that is voted for at the same time over there.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
How's everyone's day? Anything you're looking forward to?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks STR if you happen to have a groupon link or see one let me know I’ll be there Friday

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

I'm replacing brake lines.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

So you'd be fine with me voting for Trump I suppose. Funny how that works, I'm an idiot for not voting, but if I voted for a candidate YOU don't like I'm even worse lol.

Go ahead and think what you want I really don't care, I was just defending people like myself that chose not to vote this time :shrug:

Also I'm going to teach my son to do whatever he feels like doing and I'm not going to hold it against him either way :)

its really really funny how upset you seem about getting some crap about this viewpoint of yours

oh well i'm glad your state voted to reinstate voting rights for ex-felons, they deserve a voice.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dagen H posted:

I'm replacing brake lines.

You're looking forward to slowing down, then?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Adiabatic posted:

Paying someone £225 to replace a fuel pump cause the tank needs to be dropped and I'm not doing that under jackstands.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Lots of work around the house yay.....Remember the engineering question I had a few moths ago, about the pillars holding up my carport? Well I've had multiple contractors, some general and one a very experienced roofing guy look at it and no one can make sense of it. The roofing guy said not to risk a roof issue that could open a can of worms and I agree so I'm holding off on removing any pillars for now until I can hire an engineer to look at and pay him lots of money to tell me yay or nay :v:

BraveUlysses posted:

its really really funny how upset you seem about getting some crap about this viewpoint of yours

Lol I'm not upset at all, but like I said, whatever you want to think that's cool.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

You're looking forward to slowing down, then?

:downsrim:

It's Thursday so I'm working, but once I get home it's time for riding my virtual horse and hunting various virtual animals. Maybe I'll throw in a surgical decapitation via shotgun as well.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

The car I've been waiting for 2 months for a HG replacement on is still getting coolant into the cylinders. The current suspicion is the mechanic disturbed the wet liners while pulling the head despite being warned about 80 times about it, thus making everything he's done a waste of time. Today I get to drive over, take a look and discuss how much money I owe him for not fixing the problem. And figure out what comes next I suppose

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:downsrim:

It's Thursday so I'm working, but once I get home it's time for riding my virtual horse and hunting various virtual animals. Maybe I'll throw in a surgical decapitation via shotgun as well.

Yer awraght, boah

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

The demolition of our old moldy crackhouse is almost complete and the feeling of actual, physical poo poo happening is pretty awesome!

Also, having a giant black and yellow digger in your yard is a good way to meet your neighbors! :D

And the nastygram about my wife not living in the house we bought (you’re supposed to, when you’re a dirty ferriner) was resolved with unprecedented humor, friendliness, competence and expediency to the point where I almost doubted I was dealing with a government entity.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I have to drive my old Landcruiser 5 hours to drop it off at a car transporter today for the guy that bought it, because the road that would take me 2.5 hours got washed out in the half metre of rain we had yesterday. It’s not road legal and has been parked up for 4 months in the driveway, the rain is still ongoing, it’s currently 4am because I have to leave in time for a friend to get to an appointment at 11am, and the buyer doesn’t appear to have transferred me the balance of funds yet either

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Pretty good, man. How's yours? I'm looking forward to a call back for a director position that I've already been through 2 interviews for, apparently, the process is 3 interviews long. Finished the question/answer interview and the powerpoint presentation interview. If I get it, it pays the equivalent to both my current salary and my wife's current salary which means we can pay off all our debt within 4 years and can go stupid on a garage extension and cars in 5.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

Paying someone £225 to replace a fuel pump cause the tank needs to be dropped and I'm not doing that under jackstands.

Dropped mine a bit ago, it really didn't want to come out at first and was a complete dick in all honesty due to the main nuts not wanting to loosen from 30 years of road grime blasted at them. Once it was off though the straps were cleaned and repainted with nice rubber paint before I put it back in to drive the car to the workshop it lives at now. Dropping it again next week, should be a lot easier now!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Adiabatic posted:

Ive bought some skirting board

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

Yer awraght, boah

:ocelot:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Fedex guy is bringing aluminum loading ramps today for the truck. Woo less sketchy moto loading options!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

Spending more time fixing a condo with my mom, there's a realtor coming to show it tomorrow so hopefully this'll be the last time.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Eating lunch tbh... I'm starving.

Also it's deadlift day, so hoping the gym isn't crowded and I can lift in peace.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dropped mine a bit ago, it really didn't want to come out at first and was a complete dick in all honesty due to the main nuts not wanting to loosen from 30 years of road grime blasted at them. Once it was off though the straps were cleaned and repainted with nice rubber paint before I put it back in to drive the car to the workshop it lives at now. Dropping it again next week, should be a lot easier now!

Good to know: I'd feel a bit of a wuss if it turned out to be an easy job.

I know I am overpaying for the replacement pump rather than sourcing it myself, but I've heard anecdotally that the replacements fail at quite a rate so at least this way, it's on the garage to replace if it fails

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Good to know: I'd feel a bit of a wuss if it turned out to be an easy job.

I know I am overpaying for the replacement pump rather than sourcing it myself, but I've heard anecdotally that the replacements fail at quite a rate so at least this way, it's on the garage to replace if it fails

The annoying bit was the fact the fuel pump wouldn't disconnect from the hard line due to the aforementioned 30 years of road grime on a connection. This meant I had to lower the tank about 3" (the entirety of the flex available on the lines) in order to remove the pump pretty much in-situ which necessitated pulling the bumper and the bumper structure too, twisting the fuel pump out of the tank whilst lowering the tank and getting the pump out of the way before the thing could be lowered entirely.

8/10 annoyance factor. I'll be replacing the lot before the car's back out on the roads again.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Alright AI, I need an opinion.

Moved to Pittsburgh PA from Houston TX and I am terrified of salt on roads. I've literally never had to deal with rust in my life.

First thing I did was order brand new blizzaks for both my car and the wife's. Wife drives a '13 Civic 4 door and I drive a '17 Miata RF. Those will be mounted this weekend, more than likely.

What do you guys do to protect against rust from salted roads? Everyone I've talked to has a different opinion. If cost weren't an issue, is it recommended to do a rust treatment where they spray junk all over the undercarriage and even drill holes and spray into panels? Right now, I've settled on the fact that we'll be getting both vehicles washed weekly at a place that does touch-free AND under-carriage washes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

XYLOPAGUS posted:

What do you guys do to protect against rust from salted roads?

Buy winter beaters :v:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Buy winter beaters :v:

:saddowns: Sadly, not an option.

Forgot to mention, the Miata is garaged. Civic is not.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Pittsburgh - like much of the midwest outside of the Great Lakes snowbelt - should only see occasional significant accumulation throughout the winter. You might get the leftovers from one or two particularly heavy lake effect snowstorms from Lake Erie (assuming environmental conditions are ideal), but overall you're only going to have substantial snow on the ground when a major system blows through. Although its not uncommon for municipalities and the state DOT to needlessly salt the roads when it dips below freezing to keep people from bitching - here in NE Ohio its not uncommon to see ODOT out brining major interchanges if there's >20% chance of a major snowstorm.

I'd call it a stretch that you'd need snow tires in Pittsburgh (if I had to guess you'll probably have a handful of days per winter where it snows hard enough fast enough that road crews can't keep up and they're actually required), but they're certainly not going to hurt anything.

As far as salt and rust mitigation goes...I generally don't wash my car when the temperature stays below freezing. Dry salt on paint isn't going to hurt anything, and when the road is wet your car realistically only stays clean while its being washed and until you pull out of the car wash. I've never used undercoating or oil sprays, and I've driven the same car through at least 13 winters - there's some surface rust on the undercarriage, but regularly using carwashes with undercarriage sprayers has seemed to prevent the worst of the damage.

Keep an eye open for rock chips to form during the winter, especially ones that go down to bare metal. You'll want to cover those up with a touch-up paint pen ASAP or they'll start rusting very quickly. Also give plow trucks with their salt spreaders in operation a wide berth - the rock salt they use is similar to getting pelted with medium gravel at highway speed and they will do a number on your hood, fenders, front bumper & windshield.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cursedshitbox posted:

Fedex guy is bringing aluminum loading ramps today for the truck. Woo less sketchy moto loading options!
You still trying to move to euroland?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Winter tyres are a good idea wherever the temperatures drop close to freezing regardless of how much it actually snows

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

To add to what Geog said, manufacturers have done a really good job in rustproofing their vehicles over the last 25 years. Yeah, your suspension components and underbody are going to get lovely to a degree, but nothing like if you were 100 miles North. Bottom line -- don't worry about your car's protection from the elements, focus on your own ability to drive in lovely conditions. That is a skill that will pay dividends.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Cool thanks guys. I'm a bit of a tire dork and have high performance summer tires on the miata, so getting a set of rubber for each car designed for colder temperatures and the possibility of snow accumulation wasn't a difficult decision.

RE: meatpimp - what are your suggestions for someone who knows they have no idea how to drive in lovely conditions? In Houston, the worst that could happen is super hard rain where you literally can't see. Well that and flooding... I basically have no experience driving without adequate traction.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Find an empty car park after the first snowfall and go nuts

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Braking distance, amigo. Act like you have 1/4 of what you actually have. Single most important bit of info.

Also don't freak out and brake hard in a slide. You're probably well-accustomed to getting out of a balance-upset in your Miata... it's just like that but way easier to get into.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Best advice ever. Learning how your car reacts in the snow is invaluable.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeesh, I'm glad I passed out when I did

Thanks for your condolences guys. It's weird, last night felt like my world was ending, but now I feel completely normal. And a little hungover. What I miss most right now is our dog, she kept it

Anyways, I'm going to be troubleshooting a check engine light in an OB1 car after taking apart almost the entire engine bay, so that will be fun

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

RWD depending on your point of view is the most fun you could ever have in snowy conditions or an incredibly focused, stressful experience. I've never driven particularly far in it and the snow wasn't deep but I learned that momentum is very much a thing you need to maintain. If you stop, chances are you'll get stuck. Shout out to the 3 burly boys heading to the pub for pushing me out of my parking spot.

fridge corn posted:

And this is incredibly helpful to do. I live near a massive park and hit up the car park adjoining it when it snowed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Uggh what am I doing awake and going to the office when the clock says 3am

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

It's weird, last night felt like my world was ending, but now I feel completely normal. And a little hungover. What I miss most right now is our dog, she kept it

When is your country and western album coming out?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

spog posted:

When is your country and western album coming out?

It isn't, she still has my guitar...
If I wanted to be petty or something, I own her car and our phone plan is under my name, but honestly, I just want to move forward

She talked about how some day, she might accept the ring back, but without her, there's nothing keeping me in Illinois. I think I can finally get out of this place. If she decides that she wants to come with, cool, but I'm not going to stick around here longer than I need to

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ilkhan posted:

The suicide rate along trans- is something obscenely high, like 30x higher than average iirc? Something like that. Be safe trans- goons. And condolences for your friends.

I would imagine that dealing with new hormones after a lifetime of body image/dysphoria and gender identity issues would be pretty tough on the sadbrains. It's bad enough sometimes when you're just dealing with the hormones you started with.

STR posted:

(I'm in the Austin area, but the counties and suburbs surrounding it are redder than Satan's ballsack after being curb stomped with spiked heels).

Well, that's a... colorful metaphor.

Other way around, friend. Not voting is worse.
I've always heard it said if you can't vote for someone, vote against someone. Which is really just the lesser of two evils, but phrased in a way make a point.

Adiabatic posted:

Getting together with a group of fellow Desktop IT guys from the previous jerb, some who still work there, but most do not, after work for some beer and shooting the poo poo. It's fun to quiz the guys still there about how bad it's going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Uggh what am I doing awake and going to the office when the clock says 3am

Well, that's your fault for living on the back side of the world. It's almost noon, here.

The Door Frame posted:

It isn't, she still has my guitar...
If I wanted to be petty or something, I own her car and our phone plan is under my name, but honestly, I just want to move forward

She talked about how some day, she might accept the ring back, but without her, there's nothing keeping me in Illinois. I think I can finally get out of this place. If she decides that she wants to come with, cool, but I'm not going to stick around here longer than I need to

That's probably the best choice.

• Locked thread