Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

evilweasel posted:

I do not believe that Democrats will move to impeach Trump unless they have evidence strongly enough that refusing to vote to convict will backfire on Republicans.
Considering the known facts about the Trump Tower meeting, this feels like a safe assumption.

By the way, did you know Thom Tillis received help from Cambridge Analytica?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kimsemus posted:

While I agree you *can* be impeached for a lot of things, being impeached, a la Clinton, and being removed from office, or convicted, are different. Impeachment is a legislative process.

What I'm arguing, and ultimately trying to convey, poorly I suppose, is his impeachment doesn't matter because he will not be removed from office.

I think an impeachment process could matter even if it doesn't involve removal from office. It's a gamble though and the first step should be investigations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I do not believe that Democrats will move to impeach Trump unless they have evidence strongly enough that refusing to vote to convict will backfire on Republicans. If they have that evidence, I think they'll impeach even if they know that Republicans won't convict. But I think that their end game is to put all of this evidence into the public domain by 2020 and hope the American people make the right decision that time.

Yeah, at this point, an impeachment process would be about tarnishing the reputation of the Republican Party for refusing to break ties with a President more bumblingly corrupt than Nixon. Whether it's worth the circus of impeachment proceedings is up to how damning the evidence uncovered by the investigations is, or how obvious obstruction of justice becomes.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

there's not a sacrifice of "other people's liberties" because kavanaugh was getting confirmed. we got the end, manchin's seat is still in democratic hands. again: you can make a moral argument, and that's a strong argument. stupidly arguing about observable facts that requires you to make such stunningly stupid arguments as redefining "decisive vote" into meaning "any vote for something that passed" and claiming that winning a six year senate seat is meaningless if you do not also take the senate that year.

and you know nothing about me or about what matters to me, so you can go gently caress yourself. it is because these things are very important that i consider it necessary to do what is necessary to get them reversed, however distasteful because getting them reversed is the most important thing, because of how loving important it is. go gently caress yourself, you stupid self-righteous piece of poo poo.

it is the funniest goddamned thing that the only thing in politics that personally offends evilweasel is the suggestion "act like you give a poo poo" coming from one of the uppity poors

how dare they speak that way to him.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I thought the GA governor race was already going to a runoff? Isn’t Kemp stepping down as SOS good?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think an impeachment process could matter even if it doesn't involve removal from office. It's a gamble though and the first step should be investigations.

I think an impeachment process, much like the Kavanaugh confirmation, will galvanize his supporters as much as it will his detractors.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

While I agree you *can* be impeached for a lot of things, being impeached, a la Clinton, and being removed from office, or convicted, are different. Impeachment is a legislative process.

What I'm arguing, and ultimately trying to convey, poorly I suppose, is his impeachment doesn't matter because he will not be removed from office.

You can imagine a scenario where his impeachment would matter even if he was not removed from office, because the evidence presented makes it manifestly obvious he's guilty and he should be removed from office, and by forcing Senate Republicans to either snub their base and vote to convict or snub the vast majority (who we are assuming, for argument's sake, exist) of people including a sizable minority of Republicans who believe he is guilty and should be removed from office by voting to aquit.

I have serious doubts that, given the polarization of the Republican base, such evidence could exist. I'm not sure what it would be. I think that's why the basic Democratic strategy is going to be shine a whole lot of bright lights around, see what scuttles out, make that public, and see what the reaction is. If something is that bad, then maybe they go for it. Otherwise, hope it makes a difference in 2020.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pocket pool posted:

I thought the GA governor race was already going to a runoff? Isn’t Kemp stepping down as SOS good?

He's stepping down to become governor, meaning he considers the election issue settled in his favor.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kimsemus posted:

That makes your argument even more dumb because you either don't know that the gop has a senate majority, or that it isn't clear that they won't remove him from office for any reason short of murder on national tv

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I understand why trump thread existed now. 2 day in and it's manchinchat and pelosibad.

Help us chris christie. You're our only hope.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Politically the better play is to spend the next 2 years getting every bit of info into the public domain they can and THEN run on impeachment/etc(ie: vote him out before he gets kicked out) in 2020.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

friendbot2000 posted:

You are aware that Trump has never had the full force of the FBI investigating him right? Like, it has mostly been civil litigation, not criminal investigation. His playbook isn't really that relevant here and for the record, Nixon tried that strategy. Didn't really work out so well for him.

even aside from the mueller thing, several states are already taking a swing at him

new york is right now, as we speak, going through the process to get the Trump Foundation dissolved for breaking basically every regulation known to man re: charitable nonprofits

and the trump organization is in the crosshairs for some other stuff besides

and don't forget the very interesting emoluments clause lawsuits!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

You can imagine a scenario where his impeachment would matter even if he was not removed from office, because the evidence presented makes it manifestly obvious he's guilty and he should be removed from office, and by forcing Senate Republicans to either snub their base and vote to convict or snub the vast majority (who we are assuming, for argument's sake, exist) of people including a sizable minority of Republicans who believe he is guilty and should be removed from office by voting to aquit.

I have serious doubts that, given the polarization of the Republican base, such evidence could exist. I'm not sure what it would be. I think that's why the basic Democratic strategy is going to be shine a whole lot of bright lights around, see what scuttles out, make that public, and see what the reaction is. If something is that bad, then maybe they go for it. Otherwise, hope it makes a difference in 2020.

This is my vote as the most likely scenario

Just stop posting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pocket pool posted:

It is not currently going to a runoff, because in the current vote count he has more than 50%. There is zero chance Abrams can pull in enough votes to pull ahead when all provisionals are counted; but her hope is to get enough that he drops below 50%.

There were false reports that it was definitely going to a runoff yesterday. Those were not true.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mrs. Dash posted:

Cruz is extremely unpopular in texas, even among republicans. Beto was campaigning like a madman in texas. Republicans in texas will probably still like trump more in 2020 than they like cruz and the dem nominee isn't going to be campaigning in texas every day like beto did

Sure, but we're talking about the politics within the state. I don't have any dream of Texas going majority blue for a good long while (though if it did, my god, the outcome would be astounding--even our Supreme Court is elected) but certainly it can't hurt to have less solid red politics in the courts because, you know, I have to live here.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Chuds do not care that he obstructed and actually think collusion is cool

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is the funniest goddamned thing that the only thing in politics that personally offends evilweasel is the suggestion "act like you give a poo poo" coming from one of the uppity poors

how dare they speak that way to him.

evilweasel's posting is a useful diagnostic tool because it is always 180 degrees off of whatever the morally correct stance is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

Politically the better play is to spend the next 2 years getting every bit of info into the public domain they can and THEN run on impeachment/etc(ie: vote him out before he gets kicked out) in 2020.

Realistically I do not think you can run on impeaching a president who is running for re-election. If the evidence is public and yet the public re-elects him, the public made their decision: it would be both anti-democratic to remove him anyway, and backfire politically.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It got lost in the shuffle, but it looks like Fartenberry won re-election. If I were a rep I'd make sure to put a whoopie cushion on his chair every single day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yeah and also if the dems flip some school board seats next election then we'll have suddenly improved education in like half of the country

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I agree with this. People seem to weirdly think Clinton "won" his whole scandal and impeachment saga because he kept his job, but it effectively rendered him a lame duck very early in his second term. The minute the word "Lewinsky" hit and Clinton committed the Democrats to defending the lie, any hope of the Democrats taking back either house in 1998 was gone, and it gave Bush a pretty sizable opening in 2000. Yeah, Newt hosed himself into the woods with the whole thing, but other than that I don't see the downside to the GOP for how it went down nor do I see any fruits of victory for the Dems.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Realistically I do not think you can run on impeaching a president who is running for re-election. If the evidence is public and yet the public re-elects him, the public made their decision: it would be both anti-democratic to remove him anyway, and backfire politically.

Yes you can, because part of the impeachment process is an investigation. It won't matter though because Trump is going to ignore it and the Senate won't convict.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
It seems to me that some of the best performances of the night were in invisible places--between the local positions and state legislatures, judgeships, and the ballot initiatives, the forces of good won a great deal Tuesday night.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think one of the overlooked tragedies of this election was sending a hack like Marsha Blackburn back to the Senate. Phil Bredsen is a Democrat in a very red state, but was well liked and very middle of the road. Definitely could have seen some positive, bipartisan movement with him in the Senate, but alas.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jesus, that's just heart breaking. I wanna give that poor guy a hug :(.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Tibalt posted:

Any NC goons want to confirm something for me? It appears based on local news articles that Roy Cooper is moderately popular in NC despite his ongoing battles with the legislature. Would that be a fair assessment?

He's been disappointing to most of my liberal / progressive friends. That said, there really isn't that much he could actually do and so it's hard to evaluate him. I think the ratfucking by republicans has definitely improved his image.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

there's not a sacrifice of "other people's liberties" because kavanaugh was getting confirmed. we got the end, manchin's seat is still in democratic hands. again: you can make a moral argument, and that's a strong argument. stupidly arguing about observable facts that requires you to make such stunningly stupid arguments as redefining "decisive vote" into meaning "any vote for something that passed" and claiming that winning a six year senate seat is meaningless if you do not also take the senate that year.

and you know nothing about me or about what matters to me, so you can go gently caress yourself. it is because these things are very important that i consider it necessary to do what is necessary to get them reversed, however distasteful because getting them reversed is the most important thing, because of how loving important it is. go gently caress yourself, you stupid self-righteous piece of poo poo.

That's enough you two.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Either ya’ll stop posting about posters or soon you are going to be speaking your miseries to a crab and a pile of coconuts on probation island.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yes you can, because part of the impeachment process is an investigation. It won't matter though because Trump is going to ignore it and the Senate won't convict.
You can't just ignore a Congressional investigation.

Again, England had a whole civil war over this.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
How many Senate races are still undetermined? Looks like Florida will definitely be recounted.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Lord Wexia posted:

I read somewhere else (forget where now) that those were wrapped up and in storage so that they could be investigated as potentially faulty machines that mis-record votes. So same result - longer poll lines, and same reason - voter disenfranchisement, but slightly different minutiae than it initially seems.

https://politics.myajc.com/news/sta...2FsEAKESx42TYM/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fart Amplifier posted:

The post I was responding to suggested that Democrats would be running, in 2020, on a promise to impeach Trump if they (and he) won in 2020. They're gonna do the investigation this year and next. Either they have enough to pull the trigger this year or next, or they use it to try to persuade the public not to re-elect him.

If he gets re-elected, Dems keep the House, but they find something new after 2020, maybe it would make sense. But it makes no sense to run on impeaching him in 2020 based on information they will, presumably, have made public.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tibalt posted:

Any NC goons want to confirm something for me? It appears based on local news articles that Roy Cooper is moderately popular in NC despite his ongoing battles with the legislature. Would that be a fair assessment?

I've only heard occasional, generic grumblings about him being a Democrat, but usually he's a non-entity. So I think that's a yes. Nobody seems to dislike him for specific reasons, just the party he belongs to.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's the kicker. IF (big if) the Dems can successfully put out the message that impeachment dies in the Senate, running on it against Trump/etc in 2020 is a good play.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

evilweasel posted:

The post I was responding to suggested that Democrats would be running, in 2020, on a promise to impeach Trump if they (and he) won in 2020. They're gonna do the investigation this year and next. Either they have enough to pull the trigger this year or next, or they use it to try to persuade the public not to re-elect him.

If he gets re-elected, Dems keep the House, but they find something new after 2020, maybe it would make sense. But it makes no sense to run on impeaching him in 2020 based on information they will, presumably, have made public.

Yeah, impeachment is a midterm message, not a Presidential year message.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't really think the Dems will keep the house in 2020 but I guess we'll wait and see

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

How many Senate races are still undetermined? Looks like Florida will definitely be recounted.

Florida is "undetermined" but can be safely assumed to have a 90% or greater chance of going R. Arizona is genuinely undetermined and could go either way.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Tibalt posted:

You can't just ignore a Congressional investigation.

The Senate investigates, and please explain to me what happens if he ignores it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Retro42 posted:

That's the kicker. IF (big if) the Dems can successfully put out the message that impeachment dies in the Senate, running on it against Trump/etc in 2020 is a good play.

Maybe that'll be the difference, because currently running against Trump has not been a winning strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Tibalt posted:

Considering the known facts about the Trump Tower meeting, this feels like a safe assumption.

Trump could be caught on tape chanting death to America between giving sloppy blowjobs to Putin and the senate would never convict so yeah I doubt that

It might turn out the dem base and people that don't vote, though