Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

There is the one confounding factor that Nelson is a boring centrist who might possibly appeal to ticket-splitters, but also basically didn't bother to campaign.

Scott was/is also a very good GOP candidate even though we all hate him. Going to PR and talking about hurricane relief and trying to appeal to hispanic voters instead of going full racist probably won him that race.

dog tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Scott was/is also a very good GOP candidate even though we all hate him. Going to PR and talking about hurricane relief and trying to appeal to hispanic voters instead of going full racist probably won him that race.

Maybe - but Scott underpeformed DeSantis, who did go full racist. So I don't know that you can draw that conclusion (though Nelson did have incumbency advantage, so maybe you can - it's just not obvious you can).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

What? Compared to black men we have it easy.

oh, absolutely. that's part of the equation.

the world is full of messages for pretty much anyone who's not a white guy that if you decide to lash out because you've had enough, the system is gonna loving bury you as an idiot who proves everyone like you deserves their inferior station in life. "keep eating poo poo, buddy, because if you ever stop eating poo poo they're just gonna make everyone like you eat more of it" is a fairly successful strategy for social control!

there is an absence of said messages for white guys.

as a result of which you get your dylan roofs, and your james fields, and your robert bowers, and your this guy. because they've been told enough that no, really, if you shout "gently caress the optics, I'm going in" you might light the Spark of Revolution against [INSERT PERSONAL SOURCE OF ALL EVIL HERE]

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Between this and the Vegas shooting I think the most important takeaway is clearly that country music promotes a violent, anti-authority culture. But what do you expect with people who think that cowboy hats and cuffed jeans are acceptable to wear out in public? Clearly indicative of a broken home life.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Adar posted:

I don't think that's correct. Impeachment is a process that triggers a trial, conducted by the Senate. The Senate can acquit or convict, but I don't see a good argument for allowing it to sit on the charges.
And who will force the US Senate to have a trial?

The court case to figure out whether anyone even can compel the Senate to act would be very interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

Maybe - but Scott underpeformed DeSantis, who did go full racist. So I don't know that you can draw that conclusion (though Nelson did have incumbency advantage, so maybe you can - it's just not obvious you can).

as much as i hate rick scott, and as much i think we need the senate seat, i may actually be rooting for gillum more, not just because gillum is Good but because DeSantis is a goddamned monster

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And who will force the US Senate to have a trial?

The court case to figure out whether anyone even can compel the Senate to act would be very interesting.

I feel like they can't just memory hole it forever, but I agree very much with your second sentence.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

axeil posted:

Yeah I think in Florida with Gillum/Nelson basically getting the exact same vote share the message we should go with is "policy preference doesn't really matter in FL". I'm not sure if that's because everyone in FL is old, the GOP voters there are all CHUDs, Dems just vote Dem regardless of policy, Indies have no clue what they're doing or what. Since I like M4A and other leftist positions those are what I want to see next time in Florida, but a centrist can look at the same data and argue for centrist positions and we both will be right because policy appears not to matter in FL.

Analyzing Florida, Sherrod Brown's win in OH, and our wins in IA/KS are probably where we're going to learn the most for making a good run in 2020.

hot take: I think KS could be a swing state in 2020.

Even more hot take: Kansas, and possibly Iowa, AND Oklahoma.

The Plains are beginning to rise up against their chud overlords, because they got turbofucked by them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fart City posted:

Between this and the Vegas shooting I think the most important takeaway is clearly that country music promotes a violent, anti-authority culture. But what do you expect with people who think that cowboy hats and cuffed jeans are acceptable to wear out in public? Clearly indicative of a broken home life.

I thought the principle messages of country music were "wow that woman is very pretty, I would like to sleep with her" and "trucks."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought the principle messages of country music were "wow that woman is very pretty, I would like to sleep with her" and "trucks."

You missed the very important "alcoholism"

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

happyhippy posted:

To stop a smart Trump from doing it in future.
Imagine if Trump didn't tweet and could talk like Obama.

Not sure how letting a guy be president for 2+ years and letting him decide the fate of the courts is a deterrent. Wouldn't it be more robust to understand why he was able to win in the first place?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lightning Knight posted:

Also crippling depression and alcoholism caused by failed relationships.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Dangerous words for someone that, if I remember right, is moving to Texas...

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TulliusCicero posted:

No.

(Except IA)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TulliusCicero posted:

The Plains are beginning to rise up against their chud overlords, because they got turbofucked by them.

speaking as a texan i refuse to accept that oklahoma might do anything good, never mind anything good that texas hasn''t

Lightning Knight posted:

CuddleCryptid posted:

You missed the very important "alcoholism"

coincidentally, all three of those have been song titles

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So now that the midterms are over and Democrats have taken the house, how long do we gotta wait till they can start impeachment proceedings?

I know we're still waiting on Robert Muller's results but he should be releasing his findings any day now. We gonna shoot for early December here?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TulliusCicero posted:

oklahoma dems should run a senator who literally only ever mentions banning fracking and no other issues and they'll win

unfortunately they'll probably do something too liberal, like pet a dog or have a vagina or look at a native american without disgust, so they will lose

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

as much as i hate rick scott, and as much i think we need the senate seat, i may actually be rooting for gillum more, not just because gillum is Good but because DeSantis is a goddamned monster

Gillum might actually matter more as being able to unfuck Florida some and to block attempts to de-disenfranchise people, if I could wave a magic wand and make one of them win I'm not sure who I'd pick either. But anything that helps one of them in the recount probably helps the other, so we don't need to choose who we (probably vainly) hope wins!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Parrotine posted:

So now that the midterms are over and Democrats have taken the house, how long do we gotta wait till they can start impeachment proceedings?

I know we're still waiting on Robert Muller's results but he should be releasing his findings any day now. We gonna shoot for early December here?

There's no reason to think the findings will be released 'any day' except if you believe Trump's lawyers. There's also a lot of good reasons to think that public findings won't be released at all, absent a certain particular set of circumstances.

What we're waiting on any day now is indictments of Roger Stone and or Don Jr

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

texas has both kinds, country AND western

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Telsa Cola posted:

Also crippling depression and alcoholism caused by failed relationships.

There's been a recent spate of stuff by women country artists about murdering domestic abusers and I hope the trend continues.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

No.

(Except IA)
:toxx: I will eat my hat if OK goes blue in the 2020 presidential election.

Edit: I get to choose which of my hats.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

I mean I already live in a place where suburban upper middle class twits cosplay as "rural folk," what will the difference be?

evilweasel posted:

Gillum might actually matter more as being able to unfuck Florida some and to block attempts to de-disenfranchise people, if I could wave a magic wand and make one of them win I'm not sure who I'd pick either. But anything that helps one of them in the recount probably helps the other, so we don't need to choose who we (probably vainly) hope wins!

Seems like Gillum would have more impact in the long-term imo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There's been a recent spate of stuff by women country artists about murdering domestic abusers and I hope the trend continues.

Goodye Earl is a good song.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought the principle messages of country music were "wow that woman is very pretty, she would like to sleep with me" and "trucks."

Fixed for the proper escapist tones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQL_bMaA7Aw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1060559281299304448

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eke out posted:

There's no reason to think the findings will be released 'any day' except if you believe Trump's lawyers. There's also a lot of good reasons to think that public findings won't be released at all, absent a certain particular set of circumstances.

What we're waiting on any day now is indictments of Roger Stone and or Don Jr

why wouldn't i believe rudy giuliani?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I feel like they can't just memory hole it forever, but I agree very much with your second sentence.

There's probably a strong argument that it has to be in the same Congressional session that voted for impeachment but this has never even been tested and while IANAL I'm not sure who you could even appeal to if Mitch says "sure the trial will be January, 1 2040"

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

axeil posted:

Yeah I think in Florida with Gillum/Nelson basically getting the exact same vote share the message we should go with is "policy preference doesn't really matter in FL". I'm not sure if that's because everyone in FL is old, the GOP voters there are all CHUDs, Dems just vote Dem regardless of policy, Indies have no clue what they're doing or what. Since I like M4A and other leftist positions those are what I want to see next time in Florida, but a centrist can look at the same data and argue for centrist positions and we both will be right because policy appears not to matter in FL.

Analyzing Florida, Sherrod Brown's win in OH, and our wins in IA/KS are probably where we're going to learn the most for making a good run in 2020.

Unfortunately, analysis is also confounded by straight-ticket voting. How much of Nelson's turn-out was from Gillam's fabulous campaign? I don't think there's any good take-away just looking at the numbers without doing at least some internal polling deep-dives.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

While he my have been a wonderful person cop death is a net gain for society.

A take so hot only D&D could cook it up and defend it. gently caress off with this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

axeil posted:

There's probably a strong argument that it has to be in the same Congressional session that voted for impeachment but this has never even been tested and while IANAL I'm not sure who you could even appeal to if Mitch says "sure the trial will be January, 1 2040"

You would appeal it to the SCOTUS probably, but I've got some bad news there

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tibalt posted:

:toxx: I will eat my hat if OK goes blue in the 2020 presidential election.

Edit: I get to choose which of my hats.

This is a very dangerous toxx, we already had some guy lose a hat eating toxx and make himself some sort of Carmen Miranda hat to get out of, you know, poisoning himself

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

RandomBlue posted:

Nice racist as gently caress avatar you got there.

since you like injecting race into everything you and shaun king should probably hang out, you have stupid points in common.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

There were (and still somewhat are, but they diminish with each passing day) reasons to believe that Mueller was prepared to pull the trigger ASAP after the midterms, mostly because it's reasonable to assume (A) he did not want to release anything during the DOJ "quiet period" around an election and (B) that he is not as dumb as a sack of potatoes and also read the reports that Trump was likely to try to shut his investigation down after the midterms.

But each day that passes makes that less likely. His grand jury meets on Fridays, so that'd be the day to wait for.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A take so hot only D&D could cook it up and defend it. gently caress off with this.

not true, it'd be even more popular in cspam

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is a very dangerous toxx, we already had some guy lose a hat eating toxx and make himself some sort of Carmen Miranda hat to get out of, you know, poisoning himself

that was fairly glorious though, we could do with a rerun

Kimsemus posted:

since you like injecting race into everything you and shaun king should probably hang out, you have stupid points in common.

friendly advice, i don't think this line of thinking is going to go very well for you in these here parts

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

axeil posted:

Yeah I think Sherrod Brown should be looked at really hard in 2020, if not at the top of the ticket, then almost assuredly as a VP pick (preferably paired with a woman or POC). The fact is, Dems have been telling people of the Rust Belt that NAFTA is good and we're gonna retrain you to be a coder for 25 years. Sherrod Brown is anti-free trade and basically holds on to manufacturing jobs in Ohio like you can pry them from his cold dead hands. All that without sacrificing progressive principles. But that's not what the "smart Dems" and the party leadership that's in bed with Wall Street thinks. Because free trade has been good. For them.

The fact is, like that tweet thread evilweasel posted said, Trump's populist anti-free trade message plays really well in PA-OH-MI-WI and whoever is the nominee is going to have to combat that, or get someone to combat that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Der Waffle Mous posted:

poo poo, i think loretta lynn has some songs about that from years ago.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sometimes country music is about losing your girl and your truck, sometimes it is about murdering the rich and going on the run and doing crimes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I would pick Gillum because I think we can still manage to flip a 54/46 Senate while Florida needs help right now to un-gently caress itself.

Plus blocking gerrymanders in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lightning Knight posted:

Trad Country is primarily about misery, poverty, substance abuse, and murdering your girlfriend.

Seriously, all the best country songs are about DV.