Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is a very dangerous toxx, we already had some guy lose a hat eating toxx and make himself some sort of Carmen Miranda hat to get out of, you know, poisoning himself
I know what i'm about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mistaya posted:

Fixed for the proper escapist tones.

:golfclap:

Kimsemus posted:

since you like injecting race into everything you and shaun king should probably hang out, you have stupid points in common.

lmao shut the gently caress up.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

oh, absolutely. that's part of the equation.

the world is full of messages for pretty much anyone who's not a white guy that if you decide to lash out because you've had enough, the system is gonna loving bury you as an idiot who proves everyone like you deserves their inferior station in life. "keep eating poo poo, buddy, because if you ever stop eating poo poo they're just gonna make everyone like you eat more of it" is a fairly successful strategy for social control!

there is an absence of said messages for white guys.

as a result of which you get your dylan roofs, and your james fields, and your robert bowers, and your this guy. because they've been told enough that no, really, if you shout "gently caress the optics, I'm going in" you might light the Spark of Revolution against [INSERT PERSONAL SOURCE OF ALL EVIL HERE]

Sorry, just gotta point out you mean straight, able bodied, cis white guy. I'm a white guy with a disability and literally spend my life working on trying to get just a base level of hosed by millennial standards, not turbofucked, and I have more people than I should accuse me of "being bitter" if I ever lose composure.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dick Trauma posted:

Even Captain Disillusion has been dragged into this...

https://twitter.com/CDisillusion/status/1060564297103917056

The fact they did this is just so loving stupid. Jesus Christ. Why? What possible outcome was going to come of this that benefited them against the millions of other captures of this? How loving dumb does the president and his gang of morons have to be?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/JohnQBarrett/status/1060333390153560064

The exit poll apparently show 18% of black women who voted voted for DeSantis. These exit polls are trash.

Lightning Knight posted:

You're impressively dumb.

His avatar is Trump trying to run over a stereotype of a Mexican.

Jared for prison.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

just an fyi every time i see a cat picture itt, i will pet a cat against the grain ie backwards ie a reverse petting

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

There were (and still somewhat are, but they diminish with each passing day) reasons to believe that Mueller was prepared to pull the trigger ASAP after the midterms, mostly because it's reasonable to assume (A) he did not want to release anything during the DOJ "quiet period" around an election and (B) that he is not as dumb as a sack of potatoes and also read the reports that Trump was likely to try to shut his investigation down after the midterms.

But each day that passes makes that less likely. His grand jury meets on Fridays, so that'd be the day to wait for.

yeah i'm just of the opinion that we have more indictments to go, then we need to see if those people who are indicted flip, and what they say, etc etc.

the one 'report' element I think is more reasonable is on obstruction alone, if they have concluded that they don't have an actionable case for obstruction. but that's the one they're still (supposedly) actively negotiating with Trump on

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

sacrifices life/sanity for country

Not sure that's what's going on, op.

Calibanibal posted:

just an fyi every time i see a cat picture itt, i will pet a cat against the grain ie backwards ie a reverse petting

I don't think that will turn out well for you.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

coincidentally, all three of those have been song titles

Pretty sure "domestic disputes" and "tractors" are in that concept pool as well

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Calibanibal posted:

Someone impeach this man

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A take so hot only D&D could cook it up and defend it. gently caress off with this.

Actually cspam would probably defend it as well.

Here’s a good question for you, can things get bad enough that you’d agree? Say if cops were executing minorities on the street and taking them to concentration camps would you still be defending the honor of “the good ones”?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Calibanibal posted:

Jesus. You monster. :stonk:

Ague Proof posted:

I'm aware, he was one of the original shitposters in Negrotown. I was waiting for him to dig himself deeper and he delivered.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And who will force the US Senate to have a trial?

The court case to figure out whether anyone even can compel the Senate to act would be very interesting.

How to conduct a trial is clearly a political question, but whether to conduct a trial may not be one.

Googled some more and there is actually a Senate rule on point: https://www.law.cornell.edu/background/impeach/senaterules.pdf

quote:

I. Whensoever the Senate shall receive notice from the
House of Representatives that managers are appointed on
their part to conduct an impeachment against any person
and are directed to carry articles of impeachment to the
Senate, the Secretary of the Senate shall immediately inform
the House of Representatives that the Senate is ready
to receive the managers for the purpose of exhibiting such
articles of impeachment, agreeably to such notice.
II. When the managers of an impeachment shall be intro-
duced at the bar of the Senate and shall signify that they
are ready to exhibit articles of impeachment against any
person, the Presiding Officer of the Senate shall direct the
Sergeant at Arms to make proclamation, who shall, after
making proclamation, repeat the following words, viz: ‘‘All
persons are commanded to keep silence, on pain of imprisonment,
while the House of Representatives is exhibiting
to the Senate of the United States articles of impeachment
against ——— ———’’; after which the articles shall be
exhibited, and then the Presiding Officer of the Senate
shall inform the managers that the Senate will take proper
order on the subject of the impeachment, of which due notice
shall be given to the House of Representatives.
III. Upon such articles being presented to the Senate,
the Senate shall, at 1 o’clock afternoon of the day (Sunday
excepted) following such presentation, or sooner if ordered
by the Senate, proceed to the consideration of such articles
and shall continue in session from day to day (Sundays
excepted) after the trial shall commence (unless otherwise
ordered by the Senate) until final judgment shall be rendered,
and so much longer as may, in its judgment, be
needful.

As of now the trial process must be prompt. The only time these rules could be changed is on the first day of the next Senate session in January. That would set off such a shitshow in itself that I don't think the GOP touches them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this signalling is moderately interesting in light of the AG rumors

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1060580239212978176

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Seems like Gillum would have more impact in the long-term imo.

Almost certainly (unless Florida governors serve a 2 year term, which I doubt but also don't know for certain), but I'm also of the opinion that 2020 is a key inflection point and that it's necessary to win a D trifecta in that year to get enough passed in two years to reverse the bend of the Senate towards a permanently Republican institution. So that's the only reason I'd hesitate, but I still think Gillum would probably be the right answer.

That said, I think that it is much more likely Nelson wins a recount than Gillum, because (a) he's got less of a gap to make up; and (b) one of his key arguments is apparently a ton of votes where a governor vote was registered but not a senate vote, in a D heavy area, so that's an avenue for him to win in a way that doesn't help Gillum.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone impeach this man

The cats will take care of themselves, soon he won't have enough hands to keep doing that

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

He'll have a fatal heart attack a week into it, guaranteed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnQBarrett/status/1060333390153560064

The exit poll apparently show 18% of black women who voted voted for DeSantis. These exit polls are trash.

Jared for prison.

Wait, I thought Handel lost though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
even from a strictly mercenary perspective, gillum would be better for me / my consulting and consulting-adjacent stuff than desantis, although not by the margins you might think

gillum's inclinations re transportation stuff are compatible with our expertise, but desantis wants to burn everything to the ground and give the ashes to private enterprise, which could be profitable enough for us to build a solid fleet of armored trucks with mounted guns in the few years before we need them to set ourselves up as warlords of the wastelands

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

axeil posted:

Yeah I think in Florida with Gillum/Nelson basically getting the exact same vote share the message we should go with is "policy preference doesn't really matter in FL". I'm not sure if that's because everyone in FL is old, the GOP voters there are all CHUDs, Dems just vote Dem regardless of policy, Indies have no clue what they're doing or what. Since I like M4A and other leftist positions those are what I want to see next time in Florida, but a centrist can look at the same data and argue for centrist positions and we both will be right because policy appears not to matter in FL.

Analyzing Florida, Sherrod Brown's win in OH, and our wins in IA/KS are probably where we're going to learn the most for making a good run in 2020.

hot take: I think KS could be a swing state in 2020.

We know with pretty good certainty that your typical regressive voter cares about party affiliation first and policy second. If the GOP candidate is too distasteful to them they're more likely to stay home than switch sides but in general they're reliably pull the R lever after the primary.

Progressive voters are policy first and party second, especially those that are more progressive, and there's a much larger risk of them staying home or voting third party if their preferred candidate doesn't win the Primary.

Neither group is all that likely to vote for the other party.

This also, of course, completely ignores all of the voters (predominantly Dem-voting, of course) that are kept from voting by one means of suppression or another.

Calibanibal posted:

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 8, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1060581871149555715

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

Just don't be surprised when they scratch the poo poo out of you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Who, I tell you. Who in all of this hosed world could have expected a white guy to just flip out and kill people?!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

Almost certainly (unless Florida governors serve a 2 year term, which I doubt but also don't know for certain), but I'm also of the opinion that 2020 is a key inflection point and that it's necessary to win a D trifecta in that year to get enough passed in two years to reverse the bend of the Senate towards a permanently Republican institution. So that's the only reason I'd hesitate, but I still think Gillum would probably be the right answer.

That said, I think that it is much more likely Nelson wins a recount than Gillum, because (a) he's got less of a gap to make up; and (b) one of his key arguments is apparently a ton of votes where a governor vote was registered but not a senate vote, in a D heavy area, so that's an avenue for him to win in a way that doesn't help Gillum.

flgov serves for four years, up to two consecutive terms (which is why scott got shuffled over to senate)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Adar posted:

How to conduct a trial is clearly a political question, but whether to conduct a trial may not be one.

Googled some more and there is actually a Senate rule on point: https://www.law.cornell.edu/background/impeach/senaterules.pdf

As of now the trial process must be prompt. The only time these rules could be changed is on the first day of the next Senate session in January. That would set off such a shitshow in itself that I don't think the GOP touches them.
To the best of my knowledge Senate rules do not have force of law and the only penalty for violating them is censure by the Senate. This is outside my field of expertise though

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

corn in the bible posted:

Haha, I just checked. She did.
Sorry there, reddit magachud!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

mods?!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Calibanibal posted:

A friend once owned this cat who liked that and would get mad if you pet him the proper way, it was very unsettling

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's the most full-blown white fragility I've seen in awhile in the Trump thread.

eke out posted:

this signalling is moderately interesting in light of the AG rumors

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1060580239212978176

Ugh, I can see Christie working out for them. Bondi is too obviously a Fox News talking head, but Christie has been doing the talking head circuit on ABC for awhile trying to rehabilitate his image into some kind of rational-but-still-for-Trump jerkwad. Mostly around New Jersey issues, but he can branch out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I heard rumors yesterday there were ~100k votes uncounted in Broward County, has anyone else heard this or is it just Twitter rumors/wishcasting?

I'm real nervous for those absentee/early votes in AZ getting released at 5 PST today. I assume the AZ GOP suing to try and not count some of them means it's probably good for Sinema. :ohdear:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

She did!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Taerkar posted:

We know with pretty good certainty that your typical regressive voter cares about party affiliation first and policy second. If the GOP candidate is too distasteful to them they're more likely to stay home than switch sides but in general they're reliably pull the R lever after the primary.

Progressive voters are policy first and party second, especially those that are more progressive, and there's a much larger risk of them staying home or voting third party if their preferred candidate doesn't win the Primary.

i do not believe that the results from last night support your second conclusion. I think that the correct way to phrase it is that GOP voters are more likely to vote than Democratic voters, and so boosting turnout (somehow) is more important to Democrats. that can be through progressive policy; it can be through exciting candidates; it can be through good old-fashioned turnout operations. but the results from last night did not support the idea that policy is what dictates turnout, at least any analysis I've seen of it (and if you have any, I'd be happy to read it).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

She did.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Ugh, I can see Christie working out for them. Bondi is too obviously a Fox News talking head, but Christie has been doing the talking head circuit on ABC for awhile trying to rehabilitate his image into some kind of rational-but-still-for-Trump jerkwad. Mostly around New Jersey issues, but he can branch out.

sorry but i've solidified behind christie as by far the least bad person we can possibly hope for

all I know is that every other name is loving crazy, evil, and also absolutely poo poo no-nothing lawyers (see: Bondi, Kobach). i'll take the comically corrupt guy who holds no real opinions over that any day, it'll be a huge upgrade from Sessions

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

i do not believe that the results from last night support your second conclusion. I think that the correct way to phrase it is that GOP voters are more likely to vote than Democratic voters, and so boosting turnout (somehow) is more important to Democrats. that can be through progressive policy; it can be through exciting candidates; it can be through good old-fashioned turnout operations. but the results from last night did not support the idea that policy is what dictates turnout, at least any analysis I've seen of it (and if you have any, I'd be happy to read it).

One interesting thing I'd like to see is if policy boosts volunteering/donations and if that has an impact on turnout/results. But volunteer numbers aren't publicly available so I doubt we'll ever have an answer unless someone itt is a high-ish level campaign person for a Dem and can get data from other campaigns.

Actually, the DNC/DCCC might be able to figure it out but they'll likely never publicly release any study around it as it's too likely to cause more problems than it solves.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

:golfclap:

lmao shut the gently caress up.

Lightning Knight you are tough but fair. I like it! :)

On topic, have we heard anything else out of Aizona today?

Edit: drat beaten. Thread moves fast

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm going to float a theory, thread.

Voters in Florida are materially different from Ohio voters.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SocketWrench posted:

The fact they did this is just so loving stupid. Jesus Christ. Why? What possible outcome was going to come of this that benefited them against the millions of other captures of this? How loving dumb does the president and his gang of morons have to be?

The destruction of truth, as a shared ideal, is a critical point in the implementation of a fascist society

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bicyclops posted:

That's the most full-blown white fragility I've seen in awhile in the Trump thread.

Christie has every single conflict that Sessions did and he was also a MASSIVELY corrupt governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A take so hot only D&D could cook it up and defend it. gently caress off with this.

Cops as an institution have been utterly corrupted and degraded and the only reason they have any credibility are because of 24/7 pro-cop propaganda aimed mostly at boomers.

Read "The Cadaver King and the Country Dentist" by Radley Balko