Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not a bad argument. i mean sessions straight out says he was "asked to resign".

Wonder what they would've done if he refused. Elves are weak against iron, right?

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

The first thing the DC Circuit says is that they'll need supplemental briefing on whether "yesterday's events" affect the arguments presented here, lol.

Maybe acknowledging that it's hard to claim that Mueller's a principal officer that can't be appointed like this, given yesterday's appointment of the attorney genereal

lol i was just thinking that appointing an acting AG with no senate confirmation was going to put republican judges in a bind here

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, reconcile that twinkie is only a couple of years younger than me. If you had asked me, I would have told you he was a 22 year old shitbird without dreams. I twas mind blowing when I found out he's like 37.

I'm almost fascinated to understand how he ended up like he did. It's not like he didn't have opportunities in this life.

Prison Paul trolled the libs by
1) Saying he was addicted to eating paper
2) Saying he was dating his brother

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Phobic Nest posted:

Wonder what they would've done if he refused. Elves are weak against iron, right?

This particular one has a cannabis heel

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Oh yeah one last thing about Beto is that yeah, he is a 40 year old man who skateboards and plays rock music, that is hilariously lame, and would probably come off as pandering a lot more if Ted hadn't taken them as assumptions when he did all his attack ads. So like, Cruz ads didn't say, look at this dumbass guy who thinks he is a cool teen millenial (completely true), it was basically saying that because a guy is a Cool Rock Guy who loves all the poo poo kids love you shouldn't vote for him--and thereby made it seem less like the guy was pandering in the process. I'd imagine that probably helped with his image. It was some truly bizarre advertising

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Was this heavily publicized in Florida, enough to swing the race at the last second?

Also didn't he accept those from his brother with the belief that the brother had bought them?

Honestly, that always played to me as a flimsy excuse.

That said, broadway tickets are the kind of penny-ante corruption that's pretty much impossible to weed out and you're not going to find a politician out there who isn't guilty of that. It's a lot like Hillary and her e-mail server in that regard: it was wrong, illegal, but the kind of thing that gets a slap on the wrist normally because literally everyone is guilty of that kind of small scale crime.

Though if I was in Florida I'd probably consider voting against Gillum specifically because of those tickets because shut-the-gently caress-up-about-Hamilton.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

MAGA is going to get it's own Tinder

Meet Righter

https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1060351250213076993
https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1058434820336947200
https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1058886044060393472
https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1059597132125081600
https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1060256069044310017

Has not launched yet of course

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

lol i was just thinking that appointing an acting AG with no senate confirmation was going to put republican judges in a bind here

they drew a reagan, a clinton, and an obama appointee as their panel, too. bad luck!

though I don't exactly assume a Reagan appointee is going to be, by default, hostile to the special counsel. partisan lines probably aren't that obvious

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

interesting thread about Ohio:

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1060594526241411075

basically, the take-away is that Ohio may be permanently shifting red, as it's a state that's basically in the process of dying and turning into Indiana, because it's dominated by white rural voters without a college education in towns that are basically dying, and every educated young person gets the hell out

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, that always played to me as a flimsy excuse.

That said, broadway tickets are the kind of penny-ante corruption that's pretty much impossible to weed out and you're not going to find a politician out there who isn't guilty of that. It's a lot like Hillary and her e-mail server in that regard: it was wrong, illegal, but the kind of thing that gets a slap on the wrist normally because literally everyone is guilty of that kind of small scale crime.

Though if I was in Florida I'd probably consider voting against Gillum specifically because of those tickets because shut-the-gently caress-up-about-Hamilton.

congratulations on being cooler than hamilton-likers i guess

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

corn in the bible posted:

Oh yeah one last thing about Beto is that yeah, he is a 40 year old man who skateboards and plays rock music, that is hilariously lame, and would probably come off as pandering a lot more if Ted hadn't taken them as assumptions when he did all his attack ads. So like, Cruz ads didn't say, look at this dumbass guy who thinks he is a cool teen millenial (completely true), it was basically saying that because a guy is a Cool Rock Guy who loves all the poo poo kids love you shouldn't vote for him--and thereby made it seem less like the guy was pandering in the process. I'd imagine that probably helped with his image. It was some truly bizarre advertising

Counterpoint:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah the wearing a dress in the band photo 20 loving years before he considered a run for office was obviously pandering.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

By the way, if you really want to understand the modern Republican party you should go to a megachurch. An entire community of people united by a shared agreement that someone is 100% correct with God behind him and anything he does is right.

It's the same thing writ large, a kind of magachurch if you will.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hashtag Babes for Trump

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Have all of you spring chickens calmed the gently caress down over Ginsberg going 'whoops I had a non-fatal fall better get treatment' yet?

I think I'm going to get my analysis from Pod Save America for the remainder of the year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

he bought the ads for candidates directly. clearly the lesson we need to learn from 2016 is that donating to the DNC is for loving idiots

Donating to any group that spreads the money around to smaller underfunded races is the current best idea. It doesn't take a lot of money (comparatively) to make a candidate at least competitive enough to potentially take advantage of big stumbles.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

basically, the take-away is that Ohio may be permanently shifting red, as it's a state that's basically in the process of dying and turning into Indiana, because it's dominated by white rural voters without a college education in towns that are basically dying, and every educated young person gets the hell out

A lot of us don't move out of Indiana, we just move to Indianapolis.

And then you have people like me, who can't afford to leave Fort Wayne.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm pretty goddamn alarmed!

Tonight there is a protest at the municipal court building. It's the first protest I've ever attended, but this was the line I set for myself when the investigations were started: If anything happened to stop them, take to the streets.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Crow Jane posted:

This particular one has a cannabis heel

Probably already posted, but:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1060304407248752640

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Firing Sessions isn't outrageous and is, in fact, good as hell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah the wearing a dress in the band photo 20 loving years before he considered a run for office was obviously pandering.

I'm just talking about advertising. Beto is cool as hell and I am glad to have voted for him

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Republicans posted:

Firing Sessions isn't outrageous and is, in fact, good as hell.

in the same sense that firing comey was good

yes, it would be good except for the fact it was done with a corrupt intent to obstruct an investigation into the president

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They came for Jeff Sessions, and I did nothing, because gently caress him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

yes, it would be good except for the fact it was done with a corrupt intent to obstruct an investigation into the president

eh, still fine

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grouchio posted:

Have all of you spring chickens calmed the gently caress down over Ginsberg going 'whoops I had a non-fatal fall better get treatment' yet?

I think I'm going to get my analysis from Pod Save America for the remainder of the year.

At her age, walking through a hospital lobby on her way to lunch is an unsupportable risk for infection.

Even old people in excellent physical condition can easily get wiped out because their immune systems are holding on by a thread.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

We are marked largely by the lake Erie shoreline where we still have literal tons of manufacturing. Most of the voters there vote more social conservative and economical liberal within reason, largely don't care about social issues but are more for what impacts us least.

Ohio has been benefiting from the "jobs" slogan, that really has been one reason it's been more red. If the economy falters it will wreck vast swatches of the populated areas because areain areas are production and healthcare. We do have a massive issue with filling jobs as the older folks age out and younger generation is moving out, leaving the people left the poorer. Also the opiod issue is worse then people talk about.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

That's actually really sad. I visited Cleveland earlier this year and it was a (shockingly) super nice city.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I want this thread to get more alarmed about as much as I want an extra hole in my head.

Actually less, given how this sinus infection is making me feel. :psypop:

evilweasel posted:

If Trump fires Mueller now, it's so late in the process that I think it does him more harm than good. It's absolutely obstruction of justice, but it would have been 1,000x more effective as obstruction if he just did it up front.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Texas has a chance of going blue eventually because of demographics, but also because it still has an economy and large cities that people can actually move to. The best economic hope for many Ohioans genuinely is to just get the hell out if they can. Those who can't are just going to get angrier and angrier until something breaks

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i honestly think its because if people finally admit to it. it means its loving real and bad and something has to be done and it will get ugly and scary. but if you keep whistling, maybe it will go away. i think this mentality is on both sides(not counting the chuds and the ghouls who want this poo poo)

I think it's obvious that it's because this is an intermediate step and the next step is the one that will like, draw out riots in the street. Who is gonna march on something like this when it seems like a few days from now there is gonna be the thing everyone that would ever march would march over?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Paradoxish posted:

That's actually really sad. I visited Cleveland earlier this year and it was a (shockingly) super nice city.

They're not Detroit.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

sexpig by night posted:

eh, still fine

Would you say that you're okay with the events that are currently unfolding?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Ohio's healthcare caves in under the recession and a good number of it's elderly die out by 2025, would that technically make Ohio a blue state again?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

She broke ribs and is a million years old. Gird thyself and prepare for another Trump-appointed SC justice. Insist that any 2020 Democrat signs on to packing the court.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1060583353663909889?s=19

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Sessions was doing an absurd amount of harm to minorities and immigrants. Him being out as AG is a GOOD THING. Yes, it's a mess when it comes to the Mueller probe, but there is a substantial number of people sleeping better tonight with him out of a job.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Aren't there going to be nationwide protests tonight about that?

https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response-events/search/

Two lovely suburbs by me have events with hundreds of people signed up, so even if these protests aren't going to be massive they're still going to exist.

I'm trapped at work until six and can't leave early due to an inconvenient meeting, but hopefully they won't disperse before I can get there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump could have fired Mueller back in the Summer of 2017 before it got in gear and easily weathered the short term outrage but he hosed up and now the investigation is 18 months in and it’s unclear whether firing him would even be helpful at stopping the deluge at this point.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

GreyjoyBastard posted:

congratulations on being cooler than hamilton-likers i guess

dogboner posted:

me: a rip. a rap. a hamilton brrrap (i start beat boxing and loving spitting all over my shirt)
everyone in america: this is insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

I assume this is just a stock image, but boy does it strongly remind me of something.