Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Retro42 posted:

Sessions was doing an absurd amount of harm to minorities and immigrants. Him being out as AG is a GOOD THING. Yes, it's a mess when it comes to the Mueller probe, but there is a substantial number of people sleeping better tonight with him out of a job.

So? Yes, he was doing bad things, but what makes you think a GOP Executive (Trump) and GOP Senate are going to appoint someone BETTER?

All you have to do is look at who he chose to replace Sessions:

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/08/muellers-new-boss-is-a-trump.html?fbclid=IwAR3y_1IEoh5UHNpESeKyz1cHEL9J-pF5FXsa0PuKJTxoXOtq5POhdQDCG-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

Sessions was doing an absurd amount of harm to minorities and immigrants. Him being out as AG is a GOOD THING. Yes, it's a mess when it comes to the Mueller probe, but there is a substantial number of people sleeping better tonight with him out of a job.

none of those efforts are likely to slow under the control of his chief of staff

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Retro42 posted:

He's going to be replaced by someone equally terrible, this is such a silly argument

"They've stopped stabbing me in order to pick up a bat, what a relief!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/JuliusGoat/status/1060599830995783682

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, that always played to me as a flimsy excuse.

That said, broadway tickets are the kind of penny-ante corruption that's pretty much impossible to weed out and you're not going to find a politician out there who isn't guilty of that. It's a lot like Hillary and her e-mail server in that regard: it was wrong, illegal, but the kind of thing that gets a slap on the wrist normally because literally everyone is guilty of that kind of small scale crime.

Though if I was in Florida I'd probably consider voting against Gillum specifically because of those tickets because shut-the-gently caress-up-about-Hamilton.

It was quite obviously a flimsy excuse, and they GOP hammered this poo poo in mailers and TV ads. They had pictures of Gillum on a BOAT with LOBBYISTS and at a GALA with LOBBYISTS. Thanks, Americans for Prosperity.

I must have got 8 "go for the throat" mailers pro-GOP for every wishy washy democrat one. And I'm in a deep blue county.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

So? Yes, he was doing bad things, but what makes you think a GOP Executive (Trump) and GOP Senate are going to appoint someone BETTER?

All you have to do is look at who he chose to replace Sessions:

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/08/muellers-new-boss-is-a-trump.html?fbclid=IwAR3y_1IEoh5UHNpESeKyz1cHEL9J-pF5FXsa0PuKJTxoXOtq5POhdQDCG-k

Sessions was directly pulling appeals to himself from Immigration courts for the express purpose of loving over more people. Thats just one of many many many things he's directly done as a tiny little racist rear end in a top hat. The world is a better place with him unemployed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump could have fired Mueller back in the Summer of 2017 before it got in gear and easily weathered the short term outrage but he hosed up and now the investigation is 18 months in and it’s unclear whether firing him would even be helpful at stopping the deluge at this point.

The only explanation for why he didn't - because he clearly, clearly wanted to - is that enough Republicans told him they'd undo it if he did. There's no way he got restrained any other way.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Retro42 posted:

Sessions was directly pulling appeals to himself from Immigration courts for the express purpose of loving over more people. Thats just one of many many many things he's directly done as a tiny little racist rear end in a top hat. The world is a better place with him unemployed.
And the new guy won't?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

The only explanation for why he didn't - because he clearly, clearly wanted to - is that enough Republicans told him they'd undo it if he did. There's no way he got restrained any other way.

It's a good strategy as it keeps liberals fixated on inside baseball that doesn't mean a goddamn thing to anyone not glued to MSNBC and Twitter all day.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
civil war here we come choo choo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Retro42 posted:

And again, they are not going to replace him with someone who doesn't do this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stereotype posted:

Naaaah.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it's obvious that it's because this is an intermediate step and the next step is the one that will like, draw out riots in the street. Who is gonna march on something like this when it seems like a few days from now there is gonna be the thing everyone that would ever march would march over?

i feel like it depends on how trump deals with mueller. if he fires him, there will be massive protests and lots poo poo flying.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump could have fired Mueller back in the Summer of 2017 before it got in gear and easily weathered the short term outrage but he hosed up and now the investigation is 18 months in and it’s unclear whether firing him would even be helpful at stopping the deluge at this point.

this and he learned from comey. if mueller gets fired its gonna be comey X100 of levels of negative press and protests.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kobayashi posted:

It's a good strategy as it keeps liberals fixated on inside baseball that doesn't mean a goddamn thing to anyone not glued to MSNBC and Twitter all day.

yeah it is literally impossible for people to follow two things at once. especially a group of people, that group can literally only follow a single thing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

MAGA is going to get it's own Tinder

Has not launched yet of course

There have been a few of these and they all crash and burn spectacularly lol

What is their plan for the "95% of people who sign up will be unattractive male losers" problem?

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Stereotype posted:

That would probably require people to be motivated. The vast majority of white people are still engaged in the idea that things will work themselves out.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Republican Justin Amash had an uncontested primary and won re-election with 55.1% of the vote, in a district that went for Trump by 52-42%.

This seems odd considering some of Amash's positions:

quote:

In May 2017 Trump was accused of pressuring fired FBI director James Comey to end an investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn. Amash was reported as the first Republican congressman to publicly state that the allegations, if proven true, merited impeachment.[83] This report is contested by the office of Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-FL), who claims that he was the first to recognize that if true, the allegations merit impeachment.[84][85]

In June 2018 the Huffington Post asked House Republicans, "If the president pardoned himself, would they support impeachment?" Amash was the only Republican who said "definitively he would support impeachment..."[86] In July 2018 Amash strongly criticized Trump's press conference with Russian president Vladimir Putin. Amash tweeted, "The impression it left on me, a strong supporter of the meeting, is that 'something is not right here.' The president went out of his way to appear subordinate. He spoke more like the head of a vassal state."

He has a lot of galaxy brain libertarian positions, however.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Crows Turn Off posted:

And the new guy won't?

Sessions was singularly devoted to this kind of poo poo in a way that no one was else previously has been, even under bush.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I don't think Vox is reading this thread if they think this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sessions was singularly devoted to this kind of poo poo in a way that no one was else previously has been, even under bush.

Sessions, at the same time, knew what he couldn't legally push. The new guy? He doesn't give a poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Third time's the charm, eh?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Republicans posted:

Firing Sessions isn't outrageous and is, in fact, good as hell.

As was firing Comey but let Trump be blamed all the same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

my bony fealty posted:

What is their plan for the "95% of people who sign up will be unattractive male losers" problem?

Some of them might turn out to be gay. If so, I hope they find love.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the new guy is his chief of staff

there are plenty of people who could get installed on a permanent basis who would be an improvement, albeit not by much, but his replacement is a guy who is clearly as evil as he is (no net gain) and was installed for a corrupt intent to hobble the rule of law, so the reaction to people saying this is very bad and a threat to the rule of law "actually it is good that he was fired" is entirely missing the point

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

evilweasel posted:

interesting thread about Ohio:

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1060594526241411075

basically, the take-away is that Ohio may be permanently shifting red, as it's a state that's basically in the process of dying and turning into Indiana, because it's dominated by white rural voters without a college education in towns that are basically dying, and every educated young person gets the hell out

But is Ohio looking at an EV reduction next decade?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

my bony fealty posted:

I just hope it leads to more "Trumpists can't get anyone to touch them" articles, those things give me life.

Also, how easy do you think this one will be to troll?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

mobby_6kl posted:

Third time's the charm, eh?

Seems they at least learned their lesson of not advertising with mixed-race couples for their Aryan Singles app.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

evilweasel posted:

yeah it is literally impossible for people to follow two things at once. especially a group of people, that group can literally only follow a single thing.

Plus Trump being hated for more things than people can keep track of isn't some kind of 5D chess super genius masterstroke, it just means he's hit hate saturation and the extra stories are just making the rubble bounce. People not being mad at your pet bad thing because they're mad about a different bad thing ultimately doesn't matter because they're still mad at Trump.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I found another angle on that video of Acosta breaking that intern's arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcn5b8JG0A&t=74s

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorry, friend. i legit had one yesterday because i stared into the abyss for too long on this thread plus the discord D&D chat. but i talked to a professor at my old college and it helped me a ton, plus just taking a break with pets.

I was at work (High School) and was just sort of hit with this zen feeling that the kids are alright. That maybe part of my bouts of unhappiness are some sort of generational ego of hoping we would be living and making a more beautiful world in our prime. And that naw, that was never very realistic, and was wrapped up in a sort of arrogance.
And that one beautiful day we will be the old people, and if we're the worst society has to deal with well that can't really be a very bad future. Hell of a lot better than the boomer gerontocracy we are trudging through little by little. They will all be dead in several decades.
Turns out utopia will not happened now, because of millennials or whatever, it was a silly thing to hope on. And the kids, the kids are alright.

Our job I guess is to push through the Boomer winter, and fight those bastards every step of their march into the grave. And it will be ugly and dirty and people will suffer, because that's what happens in wars. That's our duty. That's a pretty good fight to fight.
And coming back to the zen feeling? This is important to mentally fit yourself into. But we shouldn't do it for ourselves, our time in the spotlight as sucked after all. Too late on that account.
Do it for Gen Z, and for whatever the hell the current little kids will go on to be called. We're progressives drat it, we're supposed to be future minded. Not wallowing in the present.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lycus posted:

But is Ohio looking at an EV reduction next decade?

maybe, who cares, it'll be after 2020. and if the plan to rig the census against areas with latinos isn't blocked, maybe not.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

MAGA is going to get it's own Tinder

Meet Righter

https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1060351250213076993

Has not launched yet of course

Is this a rebrand of the thing that got its database dumped to the internet a few centuries ago (Trump Age Time - month or so Real Time)?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

high non-refundable signup fee and lots of bots :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my bony fealty posted:

Those will only be 50% of the site. The other 50% will be trolls.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Sessions, at the same time, knew what he couldn't legally push. The new guy? He doesn't give a poo poo.

You seem to think the new guy is just as much a racist as Sessions. Unless the new AG is named Steve King thats not really possible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

I found another angle on that video of Acosta breaking that intern's arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcn5b8JG0A&t=74s

Thoughts and prayers for Doctor Doak. :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ague Proof posted:

Republican Justin Amash had an uncontested primary and won re-election with 55.1% of the vote, in a district that went for Trump by 52-42%.

This seems odd considering some of Amash's positions:

He has a lot of galaxy brain libertarian positions, however.
He absolutely does, but I want to chime in to say that he is genuinely and truly interested in stopping the government from committing (Patriot Act and adjacent) electronic abuses of privacy on U.S. citizens. He's one of the few Republicans that I know actually agrees with something I also believe in.

So like, sure, I wish he'd lost, but if I had to pick between his insane libertarian rear end and a bog-standard racist, at least he would stopped-clock on something.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

I just hope it leads to more "Trumpists can't get anyone to touch them" articles, those things give me life.

Also, how easy do you think this one will be to troll?

If you make a fake white lady profile then I guarantee you will get as many bites as you want

Goon...project...?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

You seem to think the new guy is just as much a racist as Sessions. Unless the new AG is named Steve King thats not really possible.

it's jeff sessions' chief of staff, a man jeff sessions specifically picked to assist him in his racist works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He absolutely does, but I want to chime in to say that he is genuinely and truly interested in stopping the government from committing (Patriot Act and adjacent) electronic abuses of privacy on U.S. citizens. He's one of the few Republicans that I know actually agrees with something I also believe in.

So like, sure, I wish he'd lost, but if I had to pick between his insane libertarian rear end and a bog-standard racist, at least he would stopped-clock on something.

yeah Amash is sort of like Clarence Thomas: he's utterly insane, but he sticks to his utterly insane principles