Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

No joke! Seriously considering selling my Mid Torque M18 and going all M12. I’m no pro, and the torque of the M18 comes with some considerable weight and bulk.

We’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for linking that video-- I didn't realize there was a Stubby version! I had the regular-size Fuel on my wishlist but the stubby would be more versatile.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Great, now I need to buy into M12 and M18. Actually though, after everyone's comments on the weight I compared to super high torque M18 to the regular M12 and I think I'm going to go with M12. I already have a corded dewalt if I really need some power.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and since it's that time of year for all the good deals:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379615

watch this thread for all of your milwaukee deal needs fetishism

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

and since it's that time of year for all the good deals:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379615

watch this thread for all of your milwaukee deal needs fetishism

Toolguyd is a good source for tool news/deals as well.

I bought a M12 Fuel 3/8 rachet with a free M12 battery from a deal posted there earlier this week, if it gets here before Saturday I'm taking that and my M18 gently caress-You Impact to the junkyard this weekend to maybe pull a transmission.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My coworker has a bunch of M12/M18 stuff that we use on occasion, I've got the Makita LXT brushless 18V hammer drill/driver, 1/4" impact driver, and the 18V circular saw, and my other coworker has the Dewalt 20V non-brushless kit with the hammer drill/impact driver/cordless saw. I prefer the Makita over Dewalt, but the Milwaukee stuff has a good feel to it as well. Whatever you do, I'd go brushless over regular if budget allows.

But having just sold one house and bought another, I've been using the poo poo out of my Makita gear without a hiccup. 2 4.0Ah and a 5.0Ah battery have never left me without power, and they charge fast.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nitsuga posted:

No joke! Seriously considering selling my Mid Torque M18 and going all M12. I’m no pro, and the torque of the M18 comes with some considerable weight and bulk.

We’ll see.

I wouldn't go exclusively M12, but it can do a lot more than you expect. On the 1/4 hex impact driver, the M18 is overkill - it can already destroy bit inserts with ease. On the other hand, as much as I love my 3/8 M12 Fuel impact, ~80-90ftlb lug nuts are the tightest thing it can loosen. The M18 mid torque? Bap and done.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's a good tool box that'd be good for checking as luggage on a plane and also hauling up stairs and narrow corridors on a ship? The largest thing I carry is a Milwaukee 12v driver, and I usually skew hard towards crimping tools. It'd be nice to be able to organize little parts like ethernet keystones and wire ferrules.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

A few weeks ago i bought the 2555P-20, which is the M12 Stubby with pin detent. I hate hog rings.

It works well, I mostly have a 1/4 hex adapter in it for fasteners, but it moves larger bolts pretty well.

obviously, it eats batteries a little quicker than the regular 1/4 hex impact driver, but I still get a decent amount of use out of a 2ah pack.
have not really pushed the max torque on it yet. most fasteners I run into are 9/16 or smaller, and not that corroded.

will bitch in this thread if I find something I don't like about it.

Safety Dance posted:

What's a good tool box that'd be good for checking as luggage on a plane and also hauling up stairs and narrow corridors on a ship? The largest thing I carry is a Milwaukee 12v driver, and I usually skew hard towards crimping tools. It'd be nice to be able to organize little parts like ethernet keystones and wire ferrules.

does it need to be a box? a backpack might serve you better for the shipboard side, maybe not for the checking on an airline bit.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Laminator posted:

I've got an assortment of made in US handtools mostly in imperial sizing that I don't need but don't want to dump off somewhere. There's a few good brands, like SnapOn, Craftsman, etc but some of it just whatever quality. They belonged to my dad so I'd prefer they go somewhere where I'll know they at least get used. I'm basically just wanting to see if someone would pony up the cash for a USPS flat rate box so I can ship them off. Send me a PM if interested.

e shipped off to goon

Got them. Some real nice stuff in there, which will get lots of use. Thanks!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Nice, hopefully the box made it in one piece. Wrench on!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was about to look at the Milwaukee tool sets when the Home Depot guy was all "hey, I got these Makita's for $150".
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...300RB/301687789

I don't need the saw, but it was still too good of a deal to pass up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MRC48B posted:

does it need to be a box? a backpack might serve you better for the shipboard side, maybe not for the checking on an airline bit.

I guess it doesn't need to be a box. I hadn't considered it, but a backpack that zips all the way open and has little subdivisions so my crap isn't rattling around might be nice.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There are a bunch of backpacks specifically for hvac and electricians. Very handy if you’ve got to climb anything.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Great, now I need to buy into M12 and M18. Actually though, after everyone's comments on the weight I compared to super high torque M18 to the regular M12 and I think I'm going to go with M12. I already have a corded dewalt if I really need some power.

Same, here. I (foolishly maybe) bought a Ridgid drill, impact, and 1/2 impact. I only home game, so they are more than enough for me, but I really, really want those 12v ratchets, and no one else makes one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

coathat posted:

There are a bunch of backpacks specifically for hvac and electricians. Very handy if you’ve got to climb anything.

These are amazing, thank you!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

These are amazing, thank you!

VetoProPac or a Pelican 1510 with custom-made foam. Depends on how you work... I do a lot of work on boats/ships, and my 1510 is my favorite thing ever. I've got a piece of 2" 2.2# density foam in the bottom, cut to hold most of my normal tools. The zipper pockets in the lid hold my electronics stuff (test lead kit, soldering iron, terminals/extractors, heatshrink and wire kit, etc) and the screwdrivers. There's enough room to add my cordless stuff (M12 drill/impact usually) and whatever else I need. Sure, it's heavy, but it's also waterproof and baggage-handler-proof.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't go exclusively M12, but it can do a lot more than you expect. On the 1/4 hex impact driver, the M18 is overkill - it can already destroy bit inserts with ease. On the other hand, as much as I love my 3/8 M12 Fuel impact, ~80-90ftlb lug nuts are the tightest thing it can loosen. The M18 mid torque? Bap and done.

Yeah, looking at used prices, I’d be taking a bath. So I’ll probably just deal and make the most of the power I’ve got. An M12 1/2” drill on the other hand...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Safety Dance posted:

Pelican makes some nice rolling injection molded boxes.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Who makes a decent electric tire inflator that isn't a million dollars and doesn't require buying into a tool ecosystem? I have a DeWalt 20v battery but $100 for an inflator I'll only use when swapping out seasonal wheels seems excessive.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

HF introduced some Pelican ripoffs (natch) recently that are very similar. No wheels though. The cases are very tight and good quality, I bought one of each size earlier this year. They use their standard grid tear-foam or whatever. The foam is likely not Pelican quality, but they work well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

VetoProPac or a Pelican 1510 with custom-made foam. Depends on how you work... I do a lot of work on boats/ships, and my 1510 is my favorite thing ever. I've got a piece of 2" 2.2# density foam in the bottom, cut to hold most of my normal tools. The zipper pockets in the lid hold my electronics stuff (test lead kit, soldering iron, terminals/extractors, heatshrink and wire kit, etc) and the screwdrivers. There's enough room to add my cordless stuff (M12 drill/impact usually) and whatever else I need. Sure, it's heavy, but it's also waterproof and baggage-handler-proof.

I've got a bunch of Pelican cases, 1510s and 1560s. They're great for bigger stuff (servers, etc), especially if you can con a third mate into carrying it up eight flights of stairs. But they're just so drat bulky that I'd rather not drag two if I can get away with one.

VetoProPac looks awesome, but drat that's spendy.

Fifty Three posted:

Who makes a decent electric tire inflator that isn't a million dollars and doesn't require buying into a tool ecosystem? I have a DeWalt 20v battery but $100 for an inflator I'll only use when swapping out seasonal wheels seems excessive.

You can sometimes find cross-brand battery adapters on eBay. Whether they're worth the risk or not, up to you.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

HF introduced some Pelican ripoffs (natch) recently that are very similar. No wheels though. The cases are very tight and good quality, I bought one of each size earlier this year. They use their standard grid tear-foam or whatever. The foam is likely not Pelican quality, but they work well.

Lovin' that balsa wood t-rex.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Safety Dance posted:

I laugh every time I see those in stores and just wonder who in the heck buys them. Like they must have made a million of them in the 80's and have been left with the stock ever since.

I bet if you DO buy one the cashiers would give you the funniest look. Maybe the manager would come out to shake your hand and beg you to buy more lol.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

sharkytm posted:

Pelican 1510

"I have no need for something like this, but I like looking at bags and cases and storage solutions, so I'll see what this is OH poo poo THEY MAKE A NEON GREEN ONE TAKE MY MONEY."

https://www.pelicancolorcase.com/pr...cessory-bundles

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Uthor posted:

"I have no need for something like this, but I like looking at bags and cases and storage solutions, so I'll see what this is OH poo poo THEY MAKE A NEON GREEN ONE TAKE MY MONEY."

https://www.pelicancolorcase.com/pr...cessory-bundles

"Wow, cool. And they tell you all about the dimensions, materials and seal types and even give you technical drawings of the case. Absolutely everyting you could possibly want to know about this carry-on case.......except the weight. Odd. I wonder why they don't list that in the specs?"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Lol, 13.6lb of your carry on weight in the case. It looks like a kids toy box also, and might actually survive kids treatment being a pelican.

Actually that's not a lot more than you have to pay for some kids stuff anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Will that protect my Porsche driving gloves of various colors to match all my various Porsches that are too valuable to drive?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mod sassinator posted:

I laugh every time I see those in stores and just wonder who in the heck buys them. Like they must have made a million of them in the 80's and have been left with the stock ever since.

I bet if you DO buy one the cashiers would give you the funniest look. Maybe the manager would come out to shake your hand and beg you to buy more lol.

Use a coupon on it too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Safety Dance posted:

I've got a bunch of Pelican cases, 1510s and 1560s. They're great for bigger stuff (servers, etc), especially if you can con a third mate into carrying it up eight flights of stairs. But they're just so drat bulky that I'd rather not drag two if I can get away with one.

I don't know if we're talking about the same 1510, but the one I linked has interior dimensions of 19.75" × 11.00" × 7.60" and is supposed to be the "maximum airline carry-on" size.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Safety Dance posted:

Every time the in-laws back in the US send over a box of crap for the kids, there's at least 5 of these kits in there. The insect and dinosaur ones are pretty great, the airplanes are easily the most frustrating thing I've ever tried to put together. The instructions are a tiny exploded diagram that make nothing clear, none of the parts fit correctly, and you have to glue pretty much everything and wait until it dries before putting more piece on. It's like the world's worst model airplane, instead of some simple kit for kids.

We just throw all the airplane ones in the bin when more show up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I read a quote from someone on why they used Pelican cases years ago, and it was something like "we were on the Paris-Dakar and barrel-rolled down a dune, so the case had the truck land on it a couple of times before it got loose and bounced off down the hill, at which point a support truck came over the crest at full send and landed square on it and anyway these are the pictures I took with the cameras in that case".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JBark posted:

We just throw all the airplane ones in the bin when more show up.

Ah, so next to the angle grinders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've fallen out of this thread for a while.

What universal battery tool ecosystem is the current favorite?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
oh boy

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Black and Decker.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

We unilaterally agreed power tools are the devil and did a group buy of these:

E: in Ryobi green of course

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:lol:

I think Milwaukee is the thread favorite for non-commercial grade.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CloFan posted:

:lol:

I think Milwaukee is the thread favorite for non-commercial grade.

That’s probably only true since this thread is in AI and there are such great nut turners out there.

I’d say out of Milwaukee Makita and Dewalt none are bad, just comes down to the tools and what deal you find first and lock yourself in. Look at the lineups and see which you’d use the most and look good, if your friend or neighbor has the same ones too that’s a bonus. Those three brands are definitely a cut above the cheaper models though, and nice cordless tools are great. In a way, they can be invisible, they do the work effortlessly and don’t cause problems. When you use a cheap drill that cuts out because it’s overloaded or too heavy or doesn’t fit you’ll be wishing you ponied up the extra :10bux: for the real deal.

I got literally lucky when I won a Milwaukee drill and driver combo at a company picnic 4 or 5 years ago. The only tool I’ve added since then I’ve been disappointed in was the multi tool, the blades are outrageous and burn up quick, and it dies on me often because it’s easy to overload and I overload it because it’s slow and I’m impatient.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My local B&Q has a three pack of 10.8v "Titan" drill impact and reciprocating tool for £50 on clearance. If I didn't know the battery life would be awful I'd be tempted just for how light weight they'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

My local B&Q has a three pack of 10.8v "Titan" drill impact and reciprocating tool for £50 on clearance. If I didn't know the battery life would be awful I'd be tempted just for how light weight they'd be.

Local Homebase is shutting down and had a bunch of no name cordless stuff that tempted me (impacts for £30) except they were all sold naked and they didn't have any batteries left.

I am curious if they are compatible with lidl stuff. They look like they were made by the same people.