Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lol Kamala Harris is running the same scam Avenatti did.

https://twitter.com/vagrunt/status/1060586819111305216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gripweed posted:

lol Kamala Harris is running the same scam Avenatti did.

https://twitter.com/vagrunt/status/1060586819111305216

It was a winning move in 2016, seems like a winning move now!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:siren: :siren: :siren:

quote:

Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell plans to run for president in 2020, according to a person close to the California congressman who is familiar with his plans.

“He’s definitely running,” the source said.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/08/eric-swalwell-president-2020-975846

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m not super interested in lame quasi-nationalist bring the factories back pandering to middle class suburbanites tho.

Well I'll take this lie over the "we're gonna retrain you to be a computer programmer!" lie. One lie is attractive, one is not.

Also, "those jobs are never coming back!" is not a winning message either, even if it's true. The struggle in 2020 will be a rust belt message that sufficiently acknowledges/blames NAFTA for the region's struggles, and has a solution beyond "retraining".

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Huh, that's interesting. He's the representative for the district I grew up in, but only since 2012 (Actually spoke to him personally more than once, because he liked to do his own canvassing calls). Probably doesn't have a chance in hell but he'd probably be ok as president. :shrug:

When's the last time someone jumped directly from the House to the presidency (or even a major party nomination)?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mahoning posted:

Well I'll take this lie over the "we're gonna retrain you to be a computer programmer!" lie. One lie is attractive, one is not.

Also, "those jobs are never coming back!" is not a winning message either, even if it's true. The struggle in 2020 will be a rust belt message that sufficiently acknowledges/blames NAFTA for the region's struggles, and has a solution beyond "retraining".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ you asked and I answered. That kind of rhetoric may be appealing to suburbanite assholes but it isn’t helping to make people understand the gravity of the issue. Large swaths of our institutions need to be torn down and rebuilt to deal with global warming if we want to live. That includes international trade.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ninjahedgehog posted:

When's the last time someone jumped directly from the House to the presidency (or even a major party nomination)?

ford technically

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

turns out that the only democrat not running in 2020 is hillary clinton

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 8, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ you asked and I answered. That kind of rhetoric may be appealing to suburbanite assholes but it isn’t helping to make people understand the gravity of the issue. Large swaths of our institutions need to be torn down and rebuilt to deal with global warming if we want to live. That includes international trade.

I'm just pointing out that Dem messaging for 25 years has been just as dishonest.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mahoning posted:

I'm just pointing out that Dem messaging for 25 years has been just as dishonest.

I know. What scares me is that people like Bernie and Brown are gonna run on those lies and then people are going to throw a fit when they inevitably do not bring the factories back.

They seem to have realized this, which is why they keep saying “Green New Deal.”

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

True, though he's walking a fine line here and needs to really watch his wording. This statement doesn't have any soundbites as stupid as "not necessarily racist" so I think it works.

this would be a good statement out of context, but it isn’t an apology for his gaffe, though, probably because he can’t outright backtrack on it without calling large swaths of white voters racist. dunno how much it’ll help :/

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ford technically

He was Vice President for almost a year.

Abraham Lincoln was the last president to go from U.S. Representative to the Presidency (with a ten-year stint out of office between those two). Last major candidate to get nominated while serving as Representative would probably be William Jennings Bryan in 1896.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 8, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

He was Vice President for almost a year.

Abraham Lincoln was the last president to go from U.S. Representative to the Presidency (with a ten-year stint out of office between those two). Last major candidate to get nominated while serving as Representative would probably be William Jennings Bryan.

Actually I think Garfield did too.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ah, you are right. I always forget about Garfield because of the whole “dying six months into office” business.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

How are his policies? The fact that he's 37 puts him under serious consideration for me, because gently caress boomers big time and gently caress Gen X moderately.

Edit: Apparently he's a house co-sponsor for M4A, which puts him in the "better half of dems" bucket immediately.

This is weird but I don't like that he's a tall handsome(ish?) white male, though.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 8, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

He endorsed Martin O’Malley in 2016

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hellblazer187 posted:

How are his policies? The fact that he's 37 puts him under serious consideration for me, because gently caress boomers big time and gently caress Gen X moderately.

"Everyone should have access to quality, affordable healthcare, including preventative services, regardless of their economic background or medical history. While I was not in Congress when it became law, I support the goals of the Affordable Care Act and will work to strengthen and improve it. "

The word "access" makes me immediately sort him in the poo poo pile.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

this thread is going to run through candidates real quick if it starts deciding that things as benign as using the word “access” are heresy

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 8, 2018

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

this thread is going to run through candidates real quick if it starts deciding that things as benign as using the word “access” is heresy

Yeah, this is really a bizarre one. What do you mean, Gripweed? Why is access to healthcare bad?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah, this is really a bizarre one. What do you mean, Gripweed? Why is access to healthcare bad?
Saying "Everyone should have access to healthcare" as opposed to something like "Everybody should have guaranteed healthcare" implies you think that there are people who would choose not to use that access, and that they are relevant to how you intend to set policy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

this thread is going to run through candidates real quick if it starts deciding that things as benign as using the word “access” is heresy

Listen, if people can't criticize Tim Ryan for a nearly two decade old vote on the Do Not Call Registry, then how could we ever decide who the true leftist is?!

Access is kind of an important word because everyone having Medicare doesn't really matter one bit when there are clinics and hospitals in rural areas closing left and right. Access is important and any M4A legislation will need to include or be paired with funding to build or reopen clinics and hospitals in areas that are no longer served.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

QuoProQuid posted:

Pay attention to the way Dems talk about healthcare, and you'll notice that "Access to healthcare" is a completely meaningless phrase. It's a pleasant collection of sounds that they can make instead of, say, "right to healthcare" or "Medicare for all" or "single payer".

Swalwell co-sponsored the House M4A bill, but every single Democrat with any ambition for 202 co-sponsored the House or Senate M4A bill. Even Corey loving Booker, and no one on earth is gullible enough to think he actually supports it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hellblazer187 posted:

"Access to healthcare" has long been code for keeping a market-based system that bankrupts people but pretending it's actually UHC. When Bernie debated slimeman Ted Cruz last year (if I remember the date correctly), he pointed out that claiming to want to give everyone access to healthcare didn't mean poo poo if they still couldn't afford it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hellblazer187 posted:

it's a weasel word that signals to the insurance industry you have no interest in upsetting the status quo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hellblazer187 posted:

i have no money and yet i still have "access" to healthcare

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

let me put it to you like this.

you have "access" to healthcare if your deductible is $10,000. similarly, kids in the Trump child prisons had "access" to medication they required, and you would have "access" to oxygen regardless of the presence of a boot crushing your windpipe. that you will have no ability to use it, and will die as a result? sucks to be you, buddy!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"access" is what republicans say. bernie dunked on cruz about it during their cnn thing.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a few years back i lived in a city with a lamborghini dealership a few blocks down the street

i had access to a murcielago, but i sure as poo poo didn't have the money for it

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

i fundamentally do not care about swalwell. my point was more on the absurdity of declaring “delenda est” against the man because of two sentences of canned rhetoric on his website instead of anything substantive in his voting record

the thread’s standards are puritanical to the point of self-parody

selec
Sep 6, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

i fundamentally do not care about swalwell. my point was more on the absurdity of declaring “delenda est” against the man because of two sentences of canned rhetoric on his website instead of anything substantive in his voting record

It’s not being puritanical, it’s having figured out the scam. Scammers use language like this, so if you’re not a scammer, get better words.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this guy

https://twitter.com/hollyotterbein/status/1060194571907485696

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QuoProQuid posted:

Yes how unreasonable of us, believing a candidate isn't sincere about wanting to improve healthcare just because he uses weaselly language that we've heard many times before with regards to health care . You sure cracked the code on that one, ace.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I’d vote for him. :patriot:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I went to Swalwell's issues page and found this under the header "Fiscal Responsibility"

quote:

Like every family in America, the federal government must learn to live within its means. It is simply irresponsible to continue to rack up trillions of dollars in debt and then stick our children with the bill. I am proud that when I served on the Dublin City Council we balanced our budget each year. We can and we must reduce the federal budget deficit over time.

So just based on that it's a definite no vote from me. Also he's a former Deputy DA and if I really wanted to vote for what is practically a cop then I'd just vote for Harris.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the cut of his jib.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh captain my captain.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is saying "access" really that big of a deal when the guy co-signed the M4A bill?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is saying "access" really that big of a deal when the guy co-signed the M4A bill?

It's a warning sign, particularly when paired with that "fiscal responsibility" crap.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Supporting bills doomed to fail while using weasel words in public is pretty standard "I do not actually have principles" behavior. It's a fixable problem, but it does require fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

It should be if you have even the most basic sense of pattern recognition.