Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jivjov posted:

Well, my potentially bootleg Portrait of Ruin showed up last night...it boots and plays seemingly fine, but I can tell the cartridge feels low quality compared to some of my other games.

Someone mentioned they had a bootleg that kept crashing on them; did that happen pretty immediately? Or did it take time to manifest?

I had one stop working after a few weeks. Probably around the 10th time I booted it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Check to see if the second set of digits match the front and the back.

In PoR's case, it's the YR9E ACBE.

Edit: I just realized this is Order of Ecclesia. Look for ACBE.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 4, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Says ACBE on the front but ASME on the back

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

jivjov posted:

Says ACBE on the front but ASME on the back

ASME is Super Mario 64 DS so I have some bad news for you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Color Printer posted:

ASME is Super Mario 64 DS so I have some bad news for you.

Yeah, I googled what the cartridge is supppsed to look like and the label on mine is super dark and blurry compared to a real one. I'll file a claim now

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm pretty sure a copy of pokémon platinum I bought from a gamestop once was a bootleg. the cartridge felt loose and low quality and the game would crash constantly

basically, gently caress bootlegs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

voltcatfish posted:

I'm pretty sure a copy of pokémon platinum I bought from a gamestop once was a bootleg. the cartridge felt loose and low quality and the game would crash constantly

GameStop is full of bootlegs these days and they don’t give a poo poo at all.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I googled what the cartridge is supppsed to look like and the label on mine is super dark and blurry compared to a real one. I'll file a claim now
Did it come CiB with the manual, or just a small plastic case or loose cart?

voltcatfish posted:

Also this. I mean, I'm OK with ROMsing DS games that are no longer available new-old-stock but bootlegs suck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Did it come CiB with the manual, or just a small plastic case or loose cart?

Also this. I mean, I'm OK with ROMsing DS games that are no longer available new-old-stock but bootlegs suck.

Little plastic case, no original box or manual

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jivjov posted:

Little plastic case, no original box or manual
Yeah I think that right there indicates it's a bootleg. Did Nintendo use those cases in any market?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazon just sent me an order update for the Bowser's Inside Story remake. January 11th release date.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah I think that right there indicates it's a bootleg. Did Nintendo use those cases in any market?

I think they came with some of the guitar hero games or something

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have a 100% legitimate copy of Portrait of Ruin I bought new at launch and it crashes randomly on my 3DS. I think it's just a buggy game

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is stella glow any good and how creepy does the anime get?

Alternatively want to recomend me a 3ds rpg? I enjoyed ffa tactics, fire emblem, pokemon, rune factory & bravely default. Going throug the Eshop there are a ton and while i don’t expect much from an 8$ game, wondering if i might have missed any gems amids the showelvare.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Alternatively want to recomend me a 3ds rpg? I enjoyed ffa tactics, fire emblem, pokemon, rune factory & bravely default. Going throug the Eshop there are a ton and while i don’t expect much from an 8$ game, wondering if i might have missed any gems amids the showelvare.

Umm, Etrian Oddessy? Those are pretty good and the most accessible entry, 4, has a 2-3 hour demo that carries over to the full game, which I think is stuck at $20.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Avalerion posted:

Stella Glow has a great soundtrack but if you don't like anime in a Japanese game you should probably look elsewhere, plus you can do better for the gameplay. Seconding Etrians, 4 is the best start point but the Untold games have a "proper" story mode.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Mercenaries Saga games are supposed to be decent enough, I think 2 and 3 are on the 3DS eShop. 1 was a mobile game I believe, it got a port to Switch but not to 3DS.

There's all the Dragon Quest games - IV, V, VI and IX on the DS (cart only though), then VII and VIII are on 3DS (both cart and eShop). Note that VII is really slow for the first few hours but it is a fun game. There's also the SMT games. SMT IV and IV Apocalypse are both really good JRPGs where you fight demons, negotiate with them to get them to join you, and fuse them with other demons to make even more powerful demons. And there's Devil Survivor 1 & 2, which are turn based strategy games with different story paths and demon fusion.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Thanks all. I’m generaly fine with anime, just “witch tuning” sounds like the kind thing where you might be better of not playing in public.

Dragon quest i played just forgot to mention (loved VIII, meh on VII), other suggestions seem promising though!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Avalerion posted:

Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG that is playable on the 3ds.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Avalerion posted:

Thanks all. I’m generaly fine with anime, just “witch tuning” sounds like the kind thing where you might be better of not playing in public.

Oddly enough the grody part of Stella Glow is a couple of the side characters' outfits, not the stuff that sounds like it should be. Some of the Etrian portrait options are similarly bad but you can just not pick them at least.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
DQ7 is a game I badly want to love and have some fondness for but it has probably the worst pacing of any game I've ever played. And I played both the PS1 original and the remake.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG that is playable on the 3ds.

It’s definitely the best RPG that’s playable on 3DS. You can still find copies that aren’t too expensive. Square themselves was selling them pretty recently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The best RPG in the 3ds is Radiant Historia

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is the remaster of Radiant Historia worth it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As I understand the extra content is not very good, but if you've never played it before I'd have to believe it's the way to go (because it's still a hell of a game).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heath posted:

Is the remaster of Radiant Historia worth it?

It’s pretty good though the extra content is okay but nothing great but you don’t have to play it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Best JRPG on the 3DS is Chrono Trigger, followed by The World Ends With You.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’ve never played ends with you but everything I’ve seen makes it look at best okay.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve never played chrono trigger but everything I’ve seen makes it look at best okay.

same

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Twewy gameplay is oddly addictive. Nostalgia may factor in but I replayed it on the switch and had a blast.

Anytime combat starts to become stale you mix up your pins or partner.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
TWEWY combat is just really fun in general, and the aesthetic makes it even better.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve never played ends with you but everything I’ve seen makes it look at best okay.

The rest of the game is lighthearted (sort of) jrpg with ridiculous characters, plots and so forth.

Only the gameplay is also amazing and would support the game by itself.

And the plot never intrudes on the gameplay experience.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

also it's got incredibly dope aesthetics and music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LK01R-sCNg

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

dmboogie posted:

also it's got incredibly dope aesthetics and music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LK01R-sCNg

What a surprise coming from someone with that avatar.

Also most of the music is just too slow for me.

But yeah, it's just someone taking a good jrpg, cutting out the combat system and replacing it with actual fun gameplay.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

The rest of the game is lighthearted (sort of) jrpg with ridiculous characters, plots and so forth.

Only the gameplay is also amazing and would support the game by itself.

And the plot never intrudes on the gameplay experience.

Does it open up because the gameplay I’ve seen seems kind of bad

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It has one of the coolest battle systems I've ever seen in an RPG (the original DS version at least, I don't really like the look of the changes they made in the mobile/Switch ports)

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Twewy is my personal favorite game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It has one of the coolest battle systems I've ever seen in an RPG (the original DS version at least, I don't really like the look of the changes they made in the mobile/Switch ports)

The Switch port can actually get really cool if you choose to play it using the joycons in co-op mode by yourself. That way you're once again independently controlling two characters and can do insane combos once you get good at it.

TWEWY rules

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
TWEWY and Chrono Trigger are both Extremely Good and you can have a lot of fun playing them on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS family of consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ammat The Ankh posted:

TWEWY and Chrono Trigger* are both Extremely Good and you can have a lot of fun playing them on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS family of consoles.

*As long as you ignore the terrible tie-in they retconned into the DS game for the terrible sequel