Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

anthonypants posted:

The Oregonian put up a flowery opinion piece for Joey Gibson last week, so the Willamette Week decided they needed to do one for the Portland Chief of Police https://twitter.com/wweek/status/1060253050495881216

It's almost like print is a regressive medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SousaphoneColossus posted:

according to that link it was passed by the legislature and signed by the governor and was only put up to a popular vote because anti-gay marriage people got enough signatures to challenge it

still was passed via popular vote

those beloved dems wimped the gently caress out of taking responsibility for the law passing and handed it off to the people they are supposed to represent who said "yeah, gay marriage is pretty good wtf are you asking us to vote on this for just do it"

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Goast posted:

still was passed via popular vote

those beloved dems wimped the gently caress out of taking responsibility for the law passing and handed it off to the people they are supposed to represent who said "yeah, gay marriage is pretty good wtf are you asking us to vote on this for just do it"

no they literally passed it and the governor signed it, and then it was forced onto the ballot by anti-gay marriage signature gatherers, what part of this are you not getting

quote:

Title 26 of the Revised Code of Washington, entitled "domestic relations", governs marriage in Washington state.[6] A 2012 bill, Senate Bill 6239, would legalize same-sex marriage and convert into a marriage on June 30, 2014, any undissolved state registered domestic partnership that does not involve at least one party aged 62 years or older.[7][8] It also would add language at Section 26.04.010 exempting religious organizations from any requirement to "provide accommodations, facilities, advantages, privileges, services, or goods related to the solemnization or celebration of a marriage".[9] Governor Christine Gregoire signed the engrossed bill on February 13.[10] The bill was scheduled to take effect June 7 – 90 days after the end of the legislative session — but opponents submitted on June 6 the necessary signatures to suspend the bill and require a statewide voter referendum.[11][12][13] On June 12, the Washington secretary of state announced that enough signatures had been submitted to place the referendum on the ballot for the November general election.[3][14]

eta: i'm not a huge fan of the WA state legislature either but there's enough to criticize them for without having to make easily disprovable poo poo up

SousaphoneColossus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 8, 2018

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Hahahahahaha suck my bright pink dildo, Dino Rossi.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the part where people in this thread claim that popular direct measures are somehow more undemocratic than representative votes

Goast fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 8, 2018

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

Goast posted:

the part where people in this thread claim that popular direct measures are somehow more undemocratic than representative votes

i wasn't arguing that, you seemed to be arguing that the legislature didn't pass a bill that they did pass so :shrug:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think the only salient point is that the kind of abuse being suggested possible with citizen initiatives, in the mentioned case, was successfully prevented

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the right to marry a dude wasn't granted to me by benevolent governors, congresspeople and senators in the end it was granted by the people of washington and you could have thrown every democratic politician into a pit and people still would have voted the same

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
looking at polls and seeing that the majority of people think gays aren't evil isn't enough to convince people you are actually worth a poo poo

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Goast posted:

the right to marry a dude wasn't granted to me by benevolent governors, congresspeople and senators in the end it was granted by the people of washington and you could have thrown every democratic politician into a pit and people still would have voted the same

Ima be pedantic here, but yeah, it was granted to you by the governor, congresspeople and senators.

It wasn't almost immediately revoked by the will of the people.

We could have easily done it that way, but they got to it first.

You've got some real valid anger, but order of operations seems like a real silly hill to die on.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

so if gay marriage opponents hadn't gathered enough signatures for a referendum and it had just passed with no public vote, you would consider that a bad thing?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Jeez this seems like a dumbshit argument to have.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Relentless posted:

We could have easily done it that way

so why didn't that happen earlier?

the legislature waited for their donors balmer, gates, starbucks, nike and nordstrom to give them the support before they actually did anything

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the only reason any member of state legislature votes one way or the other is because someone with more capital and money than us tells them to, stop pretending they are actually accountable to you or your opinions

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Relentless posted:

Ima be pedantic here, but yeah, it was granted to you by the governor, congresspeople and senators.

It wasn't almost immediately revoked by the will of the people.

We could have easily done it that way, but they got to it first.

You've got some real valid anger, but order of operations seems like a real silly hill to die on.

PEMDAS MOTHERFUCKER!

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
middleschool mathematics is the best ideology fight me over it nerd

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Are any of you nerds going to one of the Sessions protests tomorrow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Probably not. I'm missing a union council meeting tomorrow night because I need to watch my kids solo while my wife has a night out for once in forever.

If real life would stop getting in the way I could actually start the drat revolution.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

im on the net me boys posted:

I'm working. If there's something on the weekend I'd go. I say this understanding the full irony of it, but midweek protests are tough to attend.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

im on the net me boys posted:

It will be a loving cold day in hell before I protest over that piece of poo poo getting fired.

I recognize the reasons for it are super lovely, but that man is subhuman garbage. One of the few silver linings to the Trump administration has been watching him get exactly what he wanted (the AG spot) like he had made a wish on a loving monkey's paw for it.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Thanatosian posted:

It will be a loving cold day in hell before I protest over that piece of poo poo getting fired.

I recognize the reasons for it are super lovely, but that man is subhuman garbage. One of the few silver linings to the Trump administration has been watching him get exactly what he wanted (the AG spot) like he had made a wish on a loving monkey's paw for it.

I honestly can't comprehend how liberals are going to bat for this super racist piece of poo poo.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

DevNull posted:

I honestly can't comprehend how liberals are going to bat for this super racist piece of poo poo.

I don't really see the point in protesting, but this characterization is totally disingenuous. Nobody protesting cares about Jeff Sessions, they all hate Jeff Sessions.

E: You "honestly can't comprehend" how an action could have two consequences, one bad and one good, and people would organize to protest the bad consequence?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Eggnogium posted:

I don't really see the point in protesting, but this characterization is totally disingenuous. Nobody protesting cares about Jeff Sessions, they all hate Jeff Sessions.

E: You "honestly can't comprehend" how an action could have two consequences, one bad and one good, and people would organize to protest the bad consequence?

I get why people are protesting, but I'm also totally okay not doing ANYTHING that might accidentally portray me as being friends with incredibly racist keebler elves.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A piece of human poo poo is now out of an important job = yay

The replacement will be an even bigger piece of human poo poo = boo

Thinking about that will help you be prepared when Trump is impeached and you realize that just means President Pence.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thanatosian posted:

DevNull posted:

gently caress Sessions. We're protesting Mueller's new boss. The solution is Whitaker recusing himself and putting Rosenstein back in.

ACT I:
By default, Sessions would have been Mueller's boss.
Sessions recused himself and then his replacement was replaced by Rosenstein.
Rosenstein's acceptable so cool.

ACT II:
By default, Whitaker is Mueller's new boss.
Rosenstein's out? Cue protest.

And Whitaker's a straight up bagman for Trump. Mueller is now overseen by a man whose prior work includes writing up ways to low-key ratfuck Mueller.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

gently caress Sessions. We're protesting Mueller's new boss. The solution is Whitaker recusing himself and putting Rosenstein back in.

ACT I:
By default, Sessions would have been Mueller's boss.
Sessions recused himself and then his replacement was replaced by Rosenstein.
Rosenstein's acceptable so cool.

ACT II:
By default, Whitaker is Mueller's new boss.
Rosenstein's out? Cue protest.

And Whitaker's a straight up bagman for Trump. Mueller is now overseen by a man whose prior work includes writing up ways to low-key ratfuck Mueller.

I totally get that. I'm not saying anyone is a bad person for hitting up these protests. I'm just saying there's a line I won't cross, and that's it.

Javid posted:

A piece of human poo poo is now out of an important job = yay

The replacement will be an even bigger piece of human poo poo = boo

Thinking about that will help you be prepared when Trump is impeached and you realize that just means President Pence.

Trump might get impeached, but he's never getting convicted.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

These protests really seem like MoveOn is blowing their load way too loving early. This was a potential one time mass mobilization over something that could be incredibly impactful and you activated it over bureaucratic shuffling. Also gently caress Jeff Sessions.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

I'm just saying there's a line I won't cross, and that's it.

Hang on, are you talking about the investigation?

Forget Sessions even exists. Whitaker needs to recuse himself.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 8, 2018

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Speaking of investigations, what's happening with Joe Fain?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Schmeichy posted:

Speaking of investigations, what's happening with Joe Fain?

His race was neck-and-neck. May be a moot point if Mona Das pulls off a win.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Accretionist posted:

I have seen a whole lot of liberals crying over the loss of Sessions. Any protest in Seattle is going to be in danger of co-opted by the Democrats, and you better be drat strong in messaging that keeps that at bay.

An example of protests like this is the counter protest for patriot prayer that was taken over by a bunch of people with a giant constitution that decided singing songs was the best idea. Of the tax march that had more anti-communist propaganda than fox news.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

DevNull posted:

I have seen a whole lot of liberals crying over the loss of Sessions.

What the gently caress? Someone needs to get on top of the messaging, stat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DevNull posted:

I have seen a whole lot of liberals crying over the loss of Sessions. Any protest in Seattle is going to be in danger of co-opted by the Democrats, and you better be drat strong in messaging that keeps that at bay.

An example of protests like this is the counter protest for patriot prayer that was taken over by a bunch of people with a giant constitution that decided singing songs was the best idea. Of the tax march that had more anti-communist propaganda than fox news.

You are incredibly myopic if you think democrats are upset for Sessions' sake. We are upset that Trump fired an AG for properly recusing himself from overseeing an investigation into Trump's campaign, and that this is the first step in burying the investigation

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

DevNull posted:

Please show me one liberal/democrat sad that Sessions is gone, not that his replacement is an unrecused Trump lackey. Maybe you don't understand how recusal or Justice Department oversight of the special counsel works? Though I suspect you do and are just disingenuously looking to score cheap jabs at liberals, "the real enemy", or something.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

therobit posted:

You are incredibly myopic if you think democrats are upset for Sessions' sake. We are upset that Trump fired an AG for properly recusing himself from overseeing an investigation into Trump's campaign, and that this is the first step in burying the investigation

Because liberals didn't raise a bunch of money for Cohen, McCabe, and Strzok.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eggnogium posted:

Please show me one liberal/democrat sad that Sessions is gone, not that his replacement is an unrecused Trump lackey.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I already had tickets to the Sounders Game.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Please show me one liberal/democrat sad that Sessions is gone, not that his replacement is an unrecused Trump lackey. Maybe you don't understand how recusal or Justice Department oversight of the special counsel works? Though I suspect you do and are just disingenuously looking to score cheap jabs at liberals, "the real enemy", or something.

https://twitter.com/RepSwalwell/status/1060305143038652426

https://twitter.com/mirandayaver/status/1060275607735595009

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1060275110433751044

They are making him out to be a victim. Imagine thinking "our" democracy depended on Sessions. Just like they have rehabbed others, they will do the same with Sessions. They have made a hero out of Bush for the sake of "resisting" Trump.

If they aren't defending Session, they could start by not calling it a "Sessions protest"

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

lmao get hosed dino rossi. I could imagine failing so publicly for 18 straight years (how long it has been since Rossi won a general election)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

EmbryoSteve posted:

lmao get hosed dino rossi. I could imagine failing so publicly for 18 straight years (how long it has been since Rossi won a general election)

If our society was actually a meritocracy, Rossi would be some disheveled guy living under a bridge and ranting about taxes.