Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

That isn't a neologism, it's just what the technique is called. It's a universal term, like sautéing or dicing.

I know, but I learned it from dino. It’s a lovely term; much more evocative than slicing or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

TVP sloppy joes are my trashy, trying to taste childhood nostalgia food

I use lentils for sloppy joes when I'm not feeling in a beefy mood.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hi everyone tomorrow i want to do pot roast but i wanna do a sauce with all the cooking liquids anyone has a recomendation or a guide to do that?

thanks!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DoctorGonzo posted:

hi everyone tomorrow i want to do pot roast but i wanna do a sauce with all the cooking liquids anyone has a recomendation or a guide to do that?

thanks!

This is my favorite pot roast recipe. All the vegetables and liquids get pureed into a thick sauce for serving. Add a little glug of balsamic to the sauce when it's done. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/company-pot-roast-recipe-1946134

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

This is my favorite pot roast recipe. All the vegetables and liquids get pureed into a thick sauce for serving. Add a little glug of balsamic to the sauce when it's done. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/company-pot-roast-recipe-1946134

Thats look nice but im asking what could i do with all the juice left after you cook your meat in a pressure cooker. i mean you allways can just serve it right out the cooker but i want to do something a little more sofisticated

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Thats look nice but im asking what could i do with all the juice left after you cook your meat in a pressure cooker. i mean you allways can just serve it right out the cooker but i want to do something a little more sofisticated

Make gravy?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Just make sure it's not too salty when making it, and just reduce the liquid to a sauce after, while the meat is resting.
To speed things up, start a roux with flour and butter/oil. If you think it's too salty add cream or potato?

Best way is probably what was mentioned (never even read the link :lol:) make sure you don't add too much liquid to the pressure cooker. If using stock (bought or made) make sure you're using a low salt stock. Add veg (mirepoix) to the pressure cooker too because that will add flavour and help thicken the sauce

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 4, 2018

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DoctorGonzo posted:

That's exactly what the recipe I posted does? It purees the "juice" with the vegetables to make a sauce. I don't know what you're not getting here.

Or, make it into gravy like casu said, or maybe thicken it with a beurre manie I guess

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you could always make sauerbraten and thicken the juices with gingersnaps. kind of old fashioned, but still tasty

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DoctorGonzo posted:

So long as it's not too salty to start with, just reduce by half over heat, hit it with a roux, and call it gravy.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Is there interest in doing a GWS secret santa this year?

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
Always down for sending someone a ton of miso and assorted Japanese food weirdness!

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Anyone got any interesting pickled egg ideas? They're my main breakfast.

I've done traditional beet juice / vinegar / water / etc plenty. I got lazy and did half and half rice vinegar + soy sauce for a small batch last week and they were really good, actually more satisfying than some of the traditional recipes I've tried.

Thinking of dark soy, star anise, cinnamon, ginger, palm sugar, for another Asian inspired batch. But hell I love me some boiled eggs so I'll try just about any flavor profile.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loutre posted:

I've done traditional beet juice / vinegar / water / etc plenty. I got lazy and did half and half rice vinegar + soy sauce for a small batch last week and they were really good, actually more satisfying than some of the traditional recipes I've tried.

Thinking of dark soy, star anise, cinnamon, ginger, palm sugar, for another Asian inspired batch. But hell I love me some boiled eggs so I'll try just about any flavor profile.

I’m intrigued. How do you pickle them? What’s the process?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

therattle posted:

I’m intrigued. How do you pickle them? What’s the process?

-Hard boil eggs
-Peel eggs
-Combine some ratio of vinegar-to-salted-water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil if you're adding sugar to dissolve.
-Bring pickling liquid back to room temp
-Pour over all your peeled eggs
-Store in fridge for 2 days+. I've heard they'll stay good for a month+ but they never last long enough for me to find out.

Recipes are alllll over the place with the pickling liquid ratio for eggs, I think you'd need to do some research if you were looking for actual canning/long term storage purposes. I'm sure there's a science to reaching the acidity barrier but I'm no pickling expert.

For just eating I don't think it makes much difference apart from flavor. For me 50/50 salty liquid > vinegar always hits the spot but I like really salty/bitter foods. I know some people prefer a higher ratio of less salty water, or a decent amount of sugar in the liquid.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loutre posted:

-Hard boil eggs
-Peel eggs
-Combine some ratio of vinegar-to-salted-water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil if you're adding sugar to dissolve.
-Bring pickling liquid back to room temp
-Pour over all your peeled eggs
-Store in fridge for 2 days+. I've heard they'll stay good for a month+ but they never last long enough for me to find out.

Recipes are alllll over the place with the pickling liquid ratio for eggs, I think you'd need to do some research if you were looking for actual canning/long term storage purposes. I'm sure there's a science to reaching the acidity barrier but I'm no pickling expert.

For just eating I don't think it makes much difference apart from flavor. For me 50/50 salty liquid > vinegar always hits the spot but I like really salty/bitter foods. I know some people prefer a higher ratio of less salty water, or a decent amount of sugar in the liquid.

Thanks! How hard do you boil your eggs?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1060591408896196608?s=19

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

OmegaBeard posted:

Always down for sending someone a ton of miso and assorted Japanese food weirdness!

You're a great santa, btw.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Loutre posted:

I like spicy ponzu eggs

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

It’s obviously not gonna taste as good as properly pickling them, but you can get interesting marbling patterns if you crack and roll the egg but don’t take the shell off. Makes for nicer presentation when serving Gado Gado or w/e.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just go all out and make century eggs

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

therattle posted:

Thanks! How hard do you boil your eggs?

Hard, and don't pierce the egg in any way or method to let flavour in.
There was a case of botulism reported that was with pickled eggs. Nothing was wrong with the pH of the brine (needs to be below 4.6, I normally aimed for 4.2 with my chilli sauces), but in the case of the pickled eggs the pH was fine (3.5), but the eggs were pierced with a skewer to let brine in, so C. botulinum (probably from the skewer?) could thrive in the yolk area where the brine didn't penetrate very well.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 9, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Lol if you don't make virgin boy eggs

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1061030072163872768?s=21

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're a great santa, btw.

the best, so much so i flew to japan justtttttttttt to meet my favorite santa in the flesh :)

no other reason, it was only for omegabeard

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have two whole, frozen wild ducks. I have no idea how gamey or fishy they are, and in fact I don't even know what species they are (co-worker gave them to me, regifted from her dad, who shot them). I've never had wild duck before, but I hear that it can be unpredictability amazing or nassssty.

My inclination is confit so I can make cassoulet. Here are my questions:

1 What does confit do to the wild duck gamey flavours? Does it mellow them or accentuate them?

2 Should I confit the whole ducks, just the legs, or what? Suggestions?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CommonShore posted:

I have two whole, frozen wild ducks. I have no idea how gamey or fishy they are, and in fact I don't even know what species they are (co-worker gave them to me, regifted from her dad, who shot them). I've never had wild duck before, but I hear that it can be unpredictability amazing or nassssty.

My inclination is confit so I can make cassoulet. Here are my questions:

1 What does confit do to the wild duck gamey flavours? Does it mellow them or accentuate them?

2 Should I confit the whole ducks, just the legs, or what? Suggestions?

Everything can be confited - a duck doesn't really have white meat in the same way that other poultry does. It'll mellow out the flavors and bring them together. My recommendation is to confit the legs and sous vide the breasts, finishing with a hard sear. Serve them with a Concord grape sauce and some sort of potatoes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Everything can be confited - a duck doesn't really have white meat in the same way that other poultry does. It'll mellow out the flavors and bring them together. My recommendation is to confit the legs and sous vide the breasts, finishing with a hard sear. Serve them with a Concord grape sauce and some sort of potatoes.

Thanks! Do you have temperature suggestions? When I do confit I use my SV for it too - I'm guessing the legs at 190 F and the breasts at like... oh... 140 F?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CommonShore posted:

Thanks! Do you have temperature suggestions? When I do confit I use my SV for it too - I'm guessing the legs at 190 F and the breasts at like... oh... 140 F?

I take it back, Kenji says gentle heat post sous vide is the way to go. 130F for four hours. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/sous-vide-101-duck-breast-recipe.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just started breaking the ducks down - they're wayyyy darker than the farmed ducks I've worked with. They look like beef marinated in red wine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CommonShore posted:

I just started breaking the ducks down - they're wayyyy darker than the farmed ducks I've worked with. They look like beef marinated in red wine.

All that good good working muscle

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I love duck. Let me know how that turns out, hopefully with pics too. Duck and orange is a great combination, but cranberry is worth trying too. Maybe an orange sauce with enough cranberry to be interesting would be good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll 100% post about it but I'm pretty lazy about pictures.

Right now I have the carcasses simmering, and I'll leave them in there over night. Tomorrow I'll skim itand reserve the fat. The legs and drumettes are in the sous vide with a bit of rosemary. The breasts are resting in the fridge.

The legs ostensibly need 36 hours, but given that I'm sending them into cassoulet, I can probably cut that down quite a bit (since they'll spend time slow cooking in the cassoulet) to about 16. Depending on my day tomorrow, I might start building the cassoulet. I have the beans soaking already, so that'll probably get me started - I'll likely give em a shot in the instant pot with some duck and chicken stock and aromatics and a pork hock and then start building up the cassoulet. My cassoulet is gonna be weird as I've had to make quite a few substitutions along the way - I made my own toulouse sausage (but I'm not bothering to stuff it into casings for this) and just tonight I found out that my pork hock is raw, not smoked, as I had assumed (it was part of a meat package from a farm and I didn't open it til tonight). poo poo will be tasty anyway. I might brine the hock overnight just for the sake of it.

I'll sous vide the breasts for a couple hours tomorrow and set them aside til Monday. The plan is to serve them to my girlfriend when she gets back from a difficult work weekend. I bought some currants, cranberries, and apricots, so I'll soak those out and make pan sauce after I sear the breasts. Serve with roast baby potatoes and asparagus (and cassoulet).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If anyone needs inspiration for wild game Hank Shaw should be your first stop. Everything I've made of this has been amazing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just remembered too - my whole back lane is full of small grapes, frozen on the vine. Maybe I'll make a sauce out of those instead....

Anyway I have a day or two to think about it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CommonShore posted:

I just remembered too - my whole back lane is full of small grapes, frozen on the vine. Maybe I'll make a sauce out of those instead....

Anyway I have a day or two to think about it.

Make eiswein!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Seconding eiswein!

The talk of apricots made me think of prunes. I bet they’d go well with duck.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
You bastards! Pan sear the duck breast and slow roast the legs. Throw away your stupid stick SV and move into the woods where you can finally appreciate some silence for god's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The one true heezy posted:

You bastards! Pan sear the duck breast and slow roast the legs. Throw away your stupid stick SV and move into the woods where you can finally appreciate some silence for god's sake

:goonsay: