Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Where is the 30 minutes thing that Rubio said coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tucker is trying the typical trick of trying to equivocate ANY response to his actions as violent in order to create the impression he's the civil one and everyone else is bad. Notice he says that they didn't want to debate his points and instead were just yelling. It's the Calm Hilter cartoon in real life and don't fall for it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

so basically you consider it 'evil' (You're the dude who said protesting was becoming 'evil' like Tucker) if some dude brings up some hypothetical and you don't give a poo poo about it?

Like, do you want everyone to formally condemn the possible rumor of someone riding a dragon through Tucker's house too? Who gives a gently caress?

Congrats, you can't read. I don't want anyone ITT to bend over backwards to condemn things that didn't happen, I'm saying that you shouldn't read about someone's kids getting threatened - whether that threat actually happened or not - and then declare 'that's cool and good and the right way to beat the fascists.'

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Radish posted:

Tucker is trying the typical trick of trying to equivocate ANY response to his actions as violent in order to create the impression he's the civil one and everyone else is bad. It's the Calm Hilter cartoon in real life and don't fall for it.

it's that twitter thread of all the liberal violence where 99.99 percent of the examples were people saying slightly stern words about republicans.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lightning Knight posted:

How about go gently caress yourself you sniveling little poo poo.

:decorum:

Now you're getting it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's that twitter thread of all the liberal violence where 99.99 percent of the examples were people saying slightly stern words about republicans.

Now, look, one guy lost his job and all he did was write a weird manifesto about how women don't belong in tech. And at one point, Sarah Sanders had to go somewhere else for a sandwich.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brony Car posted:

Basically, as long as Fox News and Sinclair Media exist, the GOP can easily rile up its base or sway people on the fence.

Sadly, no one on the left has an answer to this problem. They have no defense against what's basically the default news media for much of this country outside the nice coastal cities.

Do you have any ideas either?

I mean apart from putting parental locks on grandpas' television

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Restoring the fairness doctrine and requiring FOX to register itself as a news company which is broadcasting news would be good first steps.

We also desperately need the FCC to be headed up by people who have an actual interest in doing things the FCC was established to do.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Is there anything about Florida elections that isn't completely insane

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I am nowhere close to a lawyer but isn't a law like this unconstitutional? I'd appreciate eke out or evilweasel to weigh in on this.

It's one thing if the voter screws up and gets their vote disqualified for whatever reason, but in this case the voters did nothing wrong and their votes would not be counted due to government incompetence. This seems like blatant codified disenfranchisement rather than *wink-wink* *nudge-nudge* disenfranchisement that other laws like photo id aim to accomplish.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 8, 2018

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

What if we played into the Republican's game, and eliminated health care for the non-wealthy entirely. That would make each year a 5%-10% attrition rate in Republican voters, which should only take a single presidential term to totally eliminate the republican base....

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

mistaya posted:

No one wants to see leftist violence, (INCLUDING ME)

I don't think this is true for everyone in this thread and forum.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A chain of right-wing terror attacks directly inspired by Carlson and his ilk, let's devote time and resources to making nazi propagandists a protected class.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1060623258561724416
:qq: Poor widdle Tucker Carlson all defenseless and vulnerable :qq:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

who does fox news go to after murdoch dies?

Depending on which media report you read, it seems like he's stepped away from FN pretty hard around the time of Bill O and Roger Ailes. I think his plan was to do that anyway but obviously with the increased media scrutiny it worked out. He does have two failsons Lachlan and...James I think? One of them wants to modernize FN and drag it more toward the middle and the other wants to keep it more like it is...so the media reports have noted some tension between the two. They were also the sons who handled the upcoming Disney/Fox merger.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Right wing media is only part of the problem. The rest of the issue is mainstream outlets allow their messaging to be dominated by whatever the right is howling about. The Caravans, EMAILS, or the 2014 Ebola outbreak are examples of this.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mind_Taker posted:

I am nowhere close to a lawyer but isn't a law like this unconstitutional? I'd appreciate eke out or evilweasel to weigh in on this.

It's one thing if the voter screws up and gets their vote disqualified, but in this case the voters did nothing wrong and their votes would not be counted. This seems like codified disenfranchisement rather than *wink-wink* *nudge-nudge* disenfranchisement.

Republican's didn't stack the SC so that they'd have to keep pussyfooting around with appearances anymore.....

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Radish posted:

Tucker is trying the typical trick of trying to equivocate ANY response to his actions as violent in order to create the impression he's the civil one and everyone else is bad. It's the Calm Hilter cartoon in real life and don't fall for it.

:hmmyes:

The only thing that offended Two-Buck Tuck is that there was some kind of practical repercussion to his words and actions. Until last night he was yelling into a void and just hearing applause in return.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Brony Car posted:

Basically, as long as Fox News and Sinclair Media exist, the GOP can easily rile up its base or sway people on the fence.

Sadly, no one on the left has an answer to this problem. They have no defense against what's basically the default news media for much of this country outside the nice coastal cities.

There’s no money for a network that could potentially tell them the truth in a way that would resonate for them because it would be an indictment of the ruling class that spans both parties to do so.

MSNBC isn’t the antidote; a network of the most charismatic men and women you can find at meat processing plants, auto body shops and fast food joints is. There are TV ready telegenic people in every socioeconomic class. Charismatic, attractive, well spoken and funny. The poor ones are absolutely not allowed on TV except by accident, or if they agree to sell out.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Still trying to think of good signs for the protests tonight.

“Where’s my receipt for Holy Hell?!”
“No Justice, No Peace”
“The Prez is covered in Cheeto Dust and his Brain is Swiss Cheese”
“Don’t let him get away!”
“I got feathers if you got tar”
“1 month to do something useful, Mark (Sanford)”

Help me spitball here.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ague Proof posted:

The defeated judge who got so mad that he became good has gone AWOL.

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1060554577005735937

Anti-Judge Dredd is on the loose

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Office Pig posted:

A chain of right-wing terror attacks directly inspired by Carlson and his ilk, let's devote time and resources to making nazi propagandists a protected class.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1060623258561724416
:qq: Poor widdle Tucker Carlson all defenseless and vulnerable :qq:

... under what definition would it possibly be a hate crime?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Are there browser plugins that redirect right wing sites to something else? You can also use router based blocks.

I have no problems with using technology against our elders in this way.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
The unspoken context here is that left (and right) wing revolutionary activities - that often begin with protests like this - end in violence and that violence is often targeted at innocent people.

That isn't a comment on whether this protest is a legitimate tactic or not.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Brony Car posted:

It’s a tough problem to solve. How do you break people out of a propaganda bubble they put themselves in?

There are a few solutions I can think of:

1) Create more laws and regulation that make it illegal to lie to people posing as a news source and/or expanding hate speech penalties. Probably never going to happen because the freeze peach messaging would be too easy.

2) Find a left wing Mercer/Murdoch and convince them to fund a propaganda machine for Democrats like the Republicans have. Probably not going to happen, but maybe someone will be pissed enough at the fascists/racists to do it.

3) Massive boycott campaign, also backed by left leaning politicians and community organizers. Come down hard against ANY advertiser that gives a single penny to Fox News, any of the Sinclair stations, OAN, etc. This is probably the most likely to work of my three ideas. Assholes like the Mercers will probably keep funding a solid chunk of the brain worms factories, but their reach and influence can be severely mitigated at least.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mendrian posted:

Someone committed a crime against a hateful racist, i think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

political ideology being a protected class is extremely stupid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mind_Taker posted:

It's one thing if the voter screws up and gets their vote disqualified for whatever reason, but in this case the voters did nothing wrong and their votes would not be counted due to government incompetence. This seems like blatant codified disenfranchisement rather than *wink-wink* *nudge-nudge* disenfranchisement that other laws like photo id aim to accomplish.
You should really read up on Bush v. Gore, 2000

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Mendrian posted:

Inconveniencing a rich white man, the most egregious hate crime of all

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

selec posted:

There’s no money for a network that could potentially tell them the truth in a way that would resonate for them because it would be an indictment of the ruling class that spans both parties to do so.

MSNBC isn’t the antidote; a network of the most charismatic men and women you can find at meat processing plants, auto body shops and fast food joints is. There are TV ready telegenic people in every socioeconomic class. Charismatic, attractive, well spoken and funny. The poor ones are absolutely not allowed on TV except by accident, or if they agree to sell out.

Oh, like Mike Rowe? :wooper:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Triskelli posted:

“No Justice, No Peace”

Help me spitball here.

"Down with this sort of thing"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Like, communist witch hunts were definitely a real thing, but the "Perhaps you're the real bigot for not tolerating conservative bigotry" is the most tired retort in existence.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ginsburg breaking any bone at her age could be a problem

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mendrian posted:

in dc political affiliation is a protected class.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Like, communist witch hunts were definitely a real thing, but the "Perhaps you're the real bigot for not tolerating conservative bigotry" is the most tired retort in existence.

So? This thread just proved it works.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Triskelli posted:

“No Justice, No Peace”

Help me spitball here.

Print this as a giant poster:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I hate Tucker Carlson and I support crimes.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It’s amazing because it’s almost completely transparent in its intent to protect white supremacists.

If someone’s house was firebombed because they are communist the police wouldn’t even think about trying to label it a hate crime.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Mendrian posted:

Cops consider fellow Nazis to be a protected class

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

Making protected classes be protected period and not "just the good ones" is a good thing unless they let you be in charge of exactly picking who the good ones are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

who does fox news go to after murdoch dies?

Is it going to matter?