Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If Sinema pulls it out, the Democrats really didn't have too bad a night in the Senate. It seems plausible with the number of ballots still outstanding.

Even a Nelson win might be possible? I know you almost never win a recount, but I still remember Al Franken winning his first Senate race basically in the courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

If Sinema pulls it out, the Democrats really didn't have too bad a night in the Senate. It seems plausible with the number of ballots still outstanding.

Even a Nelson win might be possible? I know you almost never win a recount, but I still remember Al Franken winning his first Senate race basically in the courts.

Not sure if there's any reason to believe Nelson has a meaningful shot at this point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vox Nihili posted:

Not sure if there's any reason to believe Nelson has a meaningful shot at this point.

There's no Waukesha county Florida, but there certainly is a Dixie county and a Lee county.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

but there certainly is a Dixie county and a Lee county.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah this plus tester means it wasn't a total Senate wipeout

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's also a (John C) Calhoun county.
Brooksville (as in Preston Brooks) is the seat of Hernando county.

The taxonomic history of Florida is certainly an, uh, economically anxious one.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Minus any weirdness with California still counting stuff exactly how many seats did the Dems take in the House? I remember the most likely number predicted was ~35?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

His campaign is making the usual noise in a tight one about provisional ballots and overseas ballots. It might draw close enough for a recount. :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Minus any weirdness with California still counting stuff exactly how many seats did the Dems take in the House? I remember the most likely number predicted was ~35?

There's actually quite a few seats still being counted. 538 projects 37 now.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2018-election-results-coverage/

They also give Nelson a 15% chance, and Sinema a 33% chance.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

His campaign is making the usual noise in a tight one about provisional ballots and overseas ballots. It might draw close enough for a recount. :shrug:

They're doing a recount probably but recounts don't really change anything unless you're within like a couple hundred votes. The race is close but not really that close.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there's apparently a *lot* more uncounted provisional and mail-in ballots than people initially thought in Florida so it's pretty reasonable to think that might affect one or both of the extremely close statewide races. a few state senate races have gone to recount today as they dig into more of them

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Directions for the pie: "Bake until golden brown, a color we like to refer to as McCain fine gold."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Speak of the devil, FL senate race is now in a recount and the governor's race could be headed there as well

https://twitter.com/CLove82082839/status/1060592093834301440

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/vagrunt/status/1060586819111305216?s=19

lmao the jill stein gambit again

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Good to see BASTA is already affecting change within the Democratic Party :smug:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The only McCain worth your time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i can't believe a cop is stealing from a black woman

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
gently caress kamala

also why are there no term limits in the senate loving feinstein

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i guess im saying give aoc access to bezos cloning machine and move several to each and every state

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Food Boner posted:

gently caress kamala

also why are there no term limits in the senate loving feinstein

term limits would deprive us of the hard won wisdom and experience our legislators possess

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

.47 point difference in FL governor race and .22 in Senate. Sounds like good odds of shrinking in the coming days

A dem victory in either case or in AZ would be worth it for the lols alone as tweets fly with accusations of electoral fraud

Edit: more people in Broward county voted for the state commissioner of agriculture than for the Senate, according to the preliminary results

Lmao

Thesaurus has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Nov 8, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

They're doing a recount probably but recounts don't really change anything unless you're within like a couple hundred votes. The race is close but not really that close.

Not so fast my friend.

https://twitter.com/steveschale/status/1060610265606184961

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

.21% gap in Senate

Lmao it's a hand recount

I also have no clue what a state agriculture commissioner does, but it appears Floridians are passionate about the office

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

.21% gap in Senate

Lmao it's a hand recount

I also have no clue what a state agriculture commissioner does, but it appears Floridians are passionate about the office

i literally had to google who these state ag comm people even were i just wanted to make sure i didnt cast a single vote for a chud even by accident

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PostNouveau posted:

Speak of the devil, FL senate race is now in a recount and the governor's race could be headed there as well

https://twitter.com/CLove82082839/status/1060592093834301440

here is a real link to the FL recount article:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/08/florida-senate-elections-scott-nelson-2018-recount-975805

One thing I noticed here is that the Nelson campaign hired Marc Elias, the same lawyer who was the head of the Al Franken recount team in the 2008 US Senate race in MN. This was a very big recount because Franken was down from Coleman by only like 200 votes on E-day, but then after all the recount steps Franken then won by about 300 votes.

It was a bit different than these Florida races though because the margin was much smaller, and it was a hand recount, where the campaigns got to go stand over the shoulders of local recount officials and "challenge" ballots that they didn't like. It looks like the Florida recount right now is a "machine" recount, which I'm not familiar with, but I assume has some inherent advantages and disadvantages to the candidates in this current situation.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

here is a real link to the FL recount article:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/08/florida-senate-elections-scott-nelson-2018-recount-975805

One thing I noticed here is that the Nelson campaign hired Marc Elias, the same lawyer who was the head of the Al Franken recount team in the 2008 US Senate race in MN. This was a very big recount because Franken was down from Coleman by only like 200 votes, and after the recount Franken eventually won by about 300 votes.

It was a bit different than these Florida races though because the margin was much smaller, and it was a hand recount, where the campaigns got to go stand over the shoulders of local recount officials and "challenge" ballots that they didn't like. It looks like the Florida recount right now is a "machine" recount, which I'm not familiar with, but I assume has some inherent advantages and disadvantages to the candidates in this current situation.

Gillum hired the Bush 2000 recount lawyer. :getin:

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Looks like Arizona's coming down with a case of voter suppression.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna933866

quote:

Republicans filed a lawsuit Wednesday night to challenge the way some Arizona counties count mail-in ballots as election officials began to slowly tally more than 600,000 outstanding votes in the narrow U.S. Senate race — a task that could take days.
The lawsuit alleges that signature verification must stop when polls close, and seeks an injunction to stop the counting of such ballots that have been verified after then. It's unclear how many of these votes still remain outstanding, but the suit singles out the state's two biggest urban counties, the center of support for Sinema. It says the two counties allow voters to help clear up signature problems up to five days after the election.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Donkey posted:

Looks like Arizona's coming down with a case of voter suppression.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna933866

Something not mentioned in that quote (might be in the article) is that other (more heavily R-leaning) counties have done the exact same thing the Republicans are now sueing to stop for years.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Vox Nihili posted:

The vote across the entire state of California is maybe 60% in at this point. Mail-in ballots dropped off or received on or after election day (valid so long as postmarked by the 6th) all need to be counted. Realistically, we won't have even preliminary results until Monday. Young people often drop off their ballots on the day of, so the final sprint is usually pretty juiced. It's a California tradition to check the SoS website every day to see who is actually winning.

yup

iirc ballots postmarked on the 6th aren't even received until tomorrow and won't get counted until Monday which while crazy actually owns because it means lots of close races have a decent chance to swing to dems after a lot of the media made a big deal about not many seats in oc flipping

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Another R seat got flipped today here in NJ after the rest of the votes finished getting counted.

grats to Andy Kim

this is my fav pickup in the House gently caress Macarthur to hell

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1060509741598818307?s=19

how blatantly does an election need to be rigged before anyone will do anything about it? it owns having our entire system of government enforced through norms alone with no enforcement mechanisms at all

quote:

All three counties impacted by the shortage favored Democrat Stacey Abrams over Republican Brian Kemp, who is the state’s top election official.

:thunk:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

There's no Waukesha county Florida, but there certainly is a Dixie county and a Lee county.

22K deficit tho?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Holy poo poo, HOLY poo poo, it may be happening

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

"The machines are pretty accurate"

Hmm, yes, that seems like a fine standard for counting votes

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Crakkerjakk posted:

Something not mentioned in that quote (might be in the article) is that other (more heavily R-leaning) counties have done the exact same thing the Republicans are now sueing to stop for years.

During the Franken/Coleman thing there was some batch of ballots that Coleman campaign fought hard to include, then it turned out they were pro-Franken ballots, and then they sued to exclude them

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Holy poo poo, HOLY poo poo, it may be happening

this looks like a sloppy article to me. saying "the other statewide races had fewer undervotes in the ballots from this county" doesn't give much useful information, because undervotes naturally vary for a variety of reasons, and many of those reasons are totally innocent and innocuous. it would help a lot more if the reporter compared it to figures that political scientists generally agree are good figures to compare it to

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this looks like a sloppy article to me. saying "the other statewide races had fewer undervotes in the ballots from this county" doesn't give much useful information, because undervotes naturally vary for a variety of reasons, and many of those reasons are totally innocent and innocuous. it would help a lot more if the reporter compared it to figures that political scientists generally agree are good figures to compare it to

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hell yeah that's what im talkin about

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Margin in Florida is close enough to trigger a manual recount by hand now (<0.25%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
cant believe im getting my hopes up over florida :negative: