Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Door Frame posted:

It isn't, she still has my guitar...
If I wanted to be petty or something, I own her car and our phone plan is under my name, but honestly, I just want to move forward

She talked about how some day, she might accept the ring back, but without her, there's nothing keeping me in Illinois. I think I can finally get out of this place. If she decides that she wants to come with, cool, but I'm not going to stick around here longer than I need to

I had a similar thing happen to me and I cannot claim to know where you are at right now at all. I ended up being much more emotionally free to take advantages of opportunities. My life, aside from this totally poo poo last month and change, is way, way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We are set to close on the house in 24 days and this wait is going to be agonizing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

I would imagine that dealing with new hormones after a lifetime of body image/dysphoria and gender identity issues would be pretty tough on the sadbrains. It's bad enough sometimes when you're just dealing with the hormones you started with.

Believe me when I say I feel happier and more content than I have in like a decade. There are many factors that lead to high trans suicide rates, but the vast majority of them are social; chemical issues are practically a rounding error.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone's day? Anything you're looking forward to?

Praying for the sweet release of death. Whoever decided scheduling mandatory meetings five hours after the end of my shift when I have to work the next night was cool needs to get these hands. At least it's my Friday tonight, so I can have a beer and a sleep tomorrow morning.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We are set to close on the house in 24 days and this wait is going to be agonizing.

I guarantee it's not going to be anywhere as agonizing as the stupid poo poo you find wrong once you finally move in. :haw:

Liquid Communism posted:

Whoever decided scheduling mandatory meetings five hours after the end of my shift when I have to work the next night was cool needs to get these hands.

If you're not getting paid to go, gently caress that noise.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

She talked about how some day, she might accept the ring back, but without her, there's nothing keeping me in Illinois. I think I can finally get out of this place. If she decides that she wants to come with, cool, but I'm not going to stick around here longer than I need to

This is a real good attitude to take, man. Never make your life choices based on those of someone who has clearly decided they don't have a stake in them. Do what you need to do for you. :unsmith:

keykey posted:

If you're not getting paid to go, gently caress that noise.

Salaried management has its drawbacks.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Salaried management when you don't work in education has its drawbacks.

Fixed that for ya.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Dagen H posted:

I'm replacing brake lines.

I gotta go suck up some leaves then brake lines for me too. Not looking forward to it but being able to stop will be nice. I also got the tool to autobleed my ABS unit and I can't wait to play with it. I get to play with my tool.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

A friend of mine suggested I watch this and I watched all four episodes in one sitting.

I have showed up to work today and all I can think about is all my life's choices leading me to where I am and how I wish I was doing something like they are doing. I want to be putting together Formula 1 cars or working with a Formula 1 team.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So. There's a lot of gay and trans chat here lately. And I'm seeing it in other places closer to me, too. My cousin's daughter has been out for a number of years and she just told her dad that they're f2m. Dad is very religious and was okay with the gay, he's taking a bit of processing time for the next step. It's something I can't speak to directly, but I can understand the conflict from both sides.

Which leads to the Always Sunny finale last night. For such and awesomely ridiculous comedy show, they really pulled some poo poo out last night. I'm not going to spoiler it, but drat.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

I would imagine that dealing with new hormones after a lifetime of body image/dysphoria and gender identity issues would be pretty tough on the sadbrains. It's bad enough sometimes when you're just dealing with the hormones you started with.

Suicide rates go down after hormones are prescribed, not up.

:ssh: Most of the suicides happen before, and a lot of times because of restriction to access of them, not because of them :ssh:

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 8, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I support all the LGBTQ folks out there. Anywhere around me is a safe space (house classroom, any room I happen to be in... I'll stand up for ya).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

Which leads to the Always Sunny finale last night. For such and awesomely ridiculous comedy show, they really pulled some poo poo out last night. I'm not going to spoiler it, but drat.

I think we will have time to watch it tonight. I’m pumped.

Thanks, you’ve given me something to look forward to on what will otherwise be a poo poo sandwich of a day!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Wrar posted:

I had a similar thing happen to me and I cannot claim to know where you are at right now at all. I ended up being much more emotionally free to take advantages of opportunities. My life, aside from this totally poo poo last month and change, is way, way better.

Liquid Communism posted:

This is a real good attitude to take, man. Never make your life choices based on those of someone who has clearly decided they don't have a stake in them. Do what you need to do for you. :unsmith:

I would be lying to say that I'm not sad, it hurts a lot, but we'd been together for 7 years. We started dating just a few months after we graduated high school. Looking back at it, I did so much to help her through college and get her career going, but she never reciprocated. Time to find out who I am, and to build my own life

I just wish my family and friends weren't walking around on eggshells

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
One of the patron saints of AI apetor got rear end cancer :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ljxdndp-o

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

Don't worry, we won't do that to you here.

rear end in a top hat.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just got a call from my mom.

My dad had open heart surgery two years ago and had two valves replaced because they were infected. They told him if they got re-infected, he would probably die.

He hasn't been feeling well, and his cardiologist thinks that's why.

gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

My dad had open heart surgery two years ago and had two valves replaced because they were infected. They told him if they got re-infected, he would probably die.

gently caress.

:(

Man, AI in general was on a reasonable run until lately, I thought we were going to avoid :fuck2018:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

gently caress.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. My old man had one valve replaced out of nowhere years ago. He had been monitoring his blood pressure for a while and one day it comes up low despite him otherwise feeling fine. Went to the doctor, went practically straight from there to the hospital for surgery.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. My old man had one valve replaced out of nowhere years ago. He had been monitoring his blood pressure for a while and one day it comes up low despite him otherwise feeling fine. Went to the doctor, went practically straight from there to the hospital for surgery.

This whole thing started two years ago, he hadn't been feeling well and nobody could figure out why. Turns out he had a blood infection of some sort and it permanently damaged his kidneys (he's been on dialysis ever since) and he needed immediate open heart surgery. He was under for something like sixteen hours and they had to reconstruct a large portion of his heart. His doctor even told him he shouldn't have survived it (which gave him some pretty bad PTSD, turns out if you have anxiety after an operation like that guess what, you're admitted to the hospital every time because your chest hurts) but he did.

In the meantime my mom had a second bout of breast cancer last year and has heart failure and I don't think she's going to be OK living on her own if something were to happen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fender Anarchist posted:

Believe me when I say I feel happier and more content than I have in like a decade. There are many factors that lead to high trans suicide rates, but the vast majority of them are social; chemical issues are practically a rounding error.

Roger that.

Liquid Communism posted:

Praying for the sweet release of death. Whoever decided scheduling mandatory meetings five hours after the end of my shift when I have to work the next night was cool needs to get these hands. At least it's my Friday tonight, so I can have a beer and a sleep tomorrow morning.

Not only is that not cool, it might be illegal, depending on how your laws regard "off-time". Even "at will" TX has a minimum time between shifts, and, as far as I'm concerned, "mandatory" meetings count as work/shift.

Liquid Communism posted:

Salaried management has its drawbacks.

Oh.
Well, you're hosed.

Queen Combat posted:

Suicide rates go down after hormones are prescribed, not up.

:ssh: Most of the suicides happen before, and a lot of times because of restriction to access of them, not because of them :ssh:

Understood, and frankly, I appreciate the correction. I said "I imagine" because really, that's all I can do. The friend that's transitioning is in Seattle, and I'm in TX, so I don't see the day-to-day, just what ends up on FaceBook, really. They know they can call me or ping me on whatever chat, but closer-to-home folks have been assisting.

QuarkMartial posted:

I support all the LGBTQ folks out there. Anywhere around me is a safe space (house classroom, any room I happen to be in... I'll stand up for ya).

Same, and I hate that it looks like I might have to unfriend some people, IRL and otherwise, over the issue. It's weird how I seem to be getting more sensitive and/or liberal in my late middle-ish years (49, now) while some of my oldest friends seem to be getting rabidly red, in a bad way.

The Door Frame posted:

It's what people do. No one wants to cause you more stress, strife, or sadness, but no one really knows what will trigger something. Just the way it is, same as when someone dies. People want to help but don't really know how, and they don't want to marginalize your pain by acting like nothing's wrong.

Queen Combat posted:

One of the patron saints of AI apetor got rear end cancer :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ljxdndp-o

Plus side: no more Ring Of Fire after spicy meals? Also, no more Hershey Squirts, I guess.
Oh, God, I just wondered what happens if you need to fart. "Is that a balloon under your shirt?"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CornHolio posted:

gently caress.

drat.

CornHolio posted:

This whole thing started two years ago, he hadn't been feeling well and nobody could figure out why. Turns out he had a blood infection of some sort and it permanently damaged his kidneys (he's been on dialysis ever since) and he needed immediate open heart surgery. He was under for something like sixteen hours and they had to reconstruct a large portion of his heart. His doctor even told him he shouldn't have survived it (which gave him some pretty bad PTSD, turns out if you have anxiety after an operation like that guess what, you're admitted to the hospital every time because your chest hurts) but he did.

In the meantime my mom had a second bout of breast cancer last year and has heart failure and I don't think she's going to be OK living on her own if something were to happen.

Double drat.
My folks are 70 now. Not looking forward to poo poo like this.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

drat.

Double drat.
My folks are 70 now. Not looking forward to poo poo like this.

My folks are both 64. I thought I had more time than this.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

CornHolio posted:

My folks are both 64. I thought I had more time than this.

My dad is 64 and my mom not far behind :ohdear:

Actually, for the past five years or so I've been noticing a marked decrease in the quality of conversations, if that makes sense. I see the early underpinnings of speech patterns and broken trains of thought that I also see with elderly and/or psych patients in the hospital.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BONDO

HOUSES

AWESOME

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm so glad my entire family within the first set of cousins and aunt/uncles are progressive on all the social issues. Like other stuff, maybe we can disagree, but if you actively hate gay/trans/brown/etc people, I can't deal with you.
We got some folks beyond that level who aren't so understanding, so our whole family severed. That would be harder to do if they weren't like 2nd cousins.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My dad told me the other day that he was going to a meeting about in home care if he ever needs it. :smith:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Queen Combat posted:

Actually, for the past five years or so I've been noticing a marked decrease in the quality of conversations, if that makes sense. I see the early underpinnings of speech patterns and broken trains of thought that I also see with elderly and/or psych patients in the hospital.

Closing on a duplex with my parents for just this reason. Mom is on oxygen and has had cancer removed from smoking, stepfather is nearly deaf, bad back, probably going senile and has drank his liver dead several times over.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

My dad told me the other day that he was going to a meeting about in home care if he ever needs it. :smith:

Hey, he has a plan. That is so much better than the alternative, trying to sort it out while he's incapacitated.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

The Door Frame posted:

I would be lying to say that I'm not sad, it hurts a lot, but we'd been together for 7 years. We started dating just a few months after we graduated high school. Looking back at it, I did so much to help her through college and get her career going, but she never reciprocated. Time to find out who I am, and to build my own life

Hey, sorry that happened. If it's any consolation, as folks have said in the long run it'll be for the best. Just sucks to get through it now.

Congrats, fender anarchist!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Door Frame posted:

Time to find out who I am, and to build my own life

Time to grow motherfucker!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

When you think about it, you've got FA making the flip this month and QC a couple before that: that's two eligible bachelors less competition and two hot chicks more on the market - the odds for you are improving every day.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:heysexy:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Queen Combat posted:

Ugh, so apparently lack of kidney function causes heart valves to not last as long. My dad basically asked me for a kidney.

I...I don't want to give one up. Is that selfish? I have kids and two brothers without any children. I'm having a very hard time with this.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Livers regrow, but kidneys? And when the family can provide? I mean, can't make the decision for you, but the number of people that I/you see with totally hosed up, short, expensive lives because of kidney failure is gigantic. And when you have two kidneys functioning at only 10%, that's better than one functioning at 5.

When you receive a kidney transplant, they don't take the failed kidney out. They leave it in, because kidney function is so goddamned vital to every part of your body that even that extra 3% on the failed one can dramatically improve your life. I had no idea how important kidneys were until this whole medical career thing - I thought they were the joke organ that was so unimportant that people just donate their "spare" willy-nilly. I advocated for kidney donation and was planning on doing it later in my adult life if I ever needed a decade of altruism smugness to cheer me up. Now, though? Not so sure. I'll donate liver wedges, marrow, and skin to help other people no problem though. Those things regrow.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sorry about your folks, cornholio. Here's hoping for the best.

My dad's 54 -- I'm one of AI's young'uns apparently -- and knowing him he's going to go out at high speed on two wheels. Motorcycling is everything to him, and he doesn't drink and has been cutting back on the cigarettes.

That being said his dad's... 85, I think, and still gets up in the morning and goes to work every day out of boredom. So who knows.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

spog posted:

When you think about it, you've got FA making the flip this month and QC a couple before that: that's two eligible bachelors less competition and two hot chicks more on the market - the odds for you are improving every day.

:hmmyes:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, he has a plan. That is so much better than the alternative, trying to sort it out while he's incapacitated.

Yeah my dad never had a plan (outside of the dark humour he had - "I'll keep a bottle of pills near my bed. The day you ask me what they are for and I can't remember, feed me them"), and when Alzheimers hit him hard I had to run around like a headless chook finding a place that would take him and actually care for his needs. It took four places to find the right one.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CornHolio posted:

gently caress, that's a hell of a double whammy... sorry man

spog posted:

Everything is coming up Milhouse!
:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Wow, all the bad aging parents chat actually makes me feel fortunate that all I have to look forward to is my father becoming increasingly belligerent and eccentric with old age.

To give an example, my 31 year old brother is living with my parents (having just left the army about this time last year) and periodically messages me with stories about his slow slide into insanity. Most recently? Apparently he was throwing a giant tantrum the other night because there was too much ice in the freezer.

He's 63. We're in for an interesting 20 years...

• Locked thread