Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not a new word, it dates to like the 30's.

The NYT is garbage from top to bottom.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1060636751428026374

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is very very stupid.

the new york times everybody:

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1060617000463011841

(the film from which we get the term was released 35 years before he was born.)

it's much better than that actually

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/26/opinion/l-liberties-the-gaslight-strategy-066192.html

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Prester Jane posted:

relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTEDunq3TfA

Alex Jones has bragged repeatedly in the last year or so that he has significant access to the White House and talks to the president and his advisors. Now mind you Alex Jones claims a lot of wild poo poo so normally you take such a claim with a grain of salt; however the fact that Sarah Sanders re-uploaded the doctored video that originated on Paul Joseph Watson's Twitter- it rather very strongly suggests that there exists a communication channel for Alex Jones to send material directly to the White House.

alex jones got taken off youtube but he found another video platform: the press secretary of the president of america

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
america is like the ming empire turning inwards upon itself and going into stagnation and decay

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sudo rm -rf posted:

what will happen to the dudes that toxx'd for gillum if he ends up winning? they were already banned iirc

In the unlikely event that this happens, I imagine we will unban any of the ones that haven't already reregged.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's not a new word, it dates to like the 30's.

I meant like it's a "new word" for him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fart City posted:

Imagine getting bullied because Tucker is your dad, and then having to get called into the office again because your bully started bullying your dad too.

"Chetwick you have to come to the office and pick your dad up. Yea someone threw his keys in the sewer again."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is very very stupid.

That was my kneejerk reaction as well, but thinking about it, I'm not so sure I'm cool with someone getting poo poo canned at a job because their boss saw a DSA sticker on their car or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kos or as some say kosm please grant us this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please, please. It'll be better than if Beto had won.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

DrNutt posted:

That was my kneejerk reaction as well, but thinking about it, I'm not so sure I'm cool with someone getting poo poo canned at a job because their boss saw a DSA sticker on their car or something.
Yeah I'm not cool with that, either. I am however quite cool with someone getting fired for being a Nazi. Funny how I can hold these two apparently conflicting ideas at the same time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DrNutt posted:

That should fall under reasonable labor laws, not discrimination.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DrNutt posted:

Bosses will fire you either way, they'll just come up with another reason. Making political affiliation a protected class disproportionately benefits those in power.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can imagine if Gillum overtakes deSantis that the spin will be about how black gangrapist criminals illegally voted.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is very very stupid.

It's a joke.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bicyclops posted:

Please, please. It'll be better than if Beto had won.

I don't want to pour cold water but i have a hard time believing we'd get sufficient off-date turnout for abrams to win an off-date runoff.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Both the Nelson/Scott and Gillum/DeSantis races will probably be recounted at this rate. But it's actually possible, given that there are still apparently a non-insignificant number of mail and early ballots in Broward and Palm Beach Counties that have not even been counted, that before the recounts begin the Senate race might flip to Nelson (and a more outside shot that the governor race flips to Gillum, but he might get under the .25% threshold to trigger a manual recount).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If Kemp quit his day job only to lose in a runoff, that would be the absolute best

Also regardless of my feelings about the Haunting Of Tucker House, the idea that it's a "hate crime" is ridiculous

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't want to pour cold water but i have a hard time believing we'd get sufficient off-date turnout for abrams to win an off-date runoff.

It's a long-shot, but it would be sooooooo good. :unsmith:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

There might be less election fuckery though since the full weight of the national Democratic party, the ACLU, the media, etc. would be squarely focused on Georgia instead of spread across the country.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

In the unlikely event that this happens, I imagine we will unban any of the ones that haven't already reregged.

If you've already rebought after the ban I'll talk to the admin team about getting you free plat/noads/archives or something if Gillum/Nelson pull out a victory.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/darrensands/status/1060637259681140736

Normal democracy

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

Mike Rowe is an opera singer who played the character of a blue-collar worker; and used that acting career to carve out a minor niche for himself selling Hard work sets you free flavored snake-oil to the portions of the American electorate that likes to cosplay being rural Farmers (while living in gentrified suburbs).
In my experience, Mike Rowe speeches appeal to that subspecies of social media soft-brain who thinks the problem with today's politics is 'both sides are too extreme and don't want to compromise' and 'everyone's corrupt, we should vote them all out' without naming specific people or who'd they'd like to replace them with.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

he named his son buckley.

RIP

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Democrats might wind up on the right side of an enthusiasm gap here, even if they don't usually.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ash Crimson posted:

america is like the ming empire turning inwards upon itself and going into stagnation and decay

Legitimately brain spasmed and thought you meant the kingdom of Mongo and wanted to know when I get to grow a Timothy Dalton mustache.

A STRANGER IN THIS FORUM MUST TRY

T H E W O O D B E A S T

OR DIE

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Yeah I'm not cool with that, either. I am however quite cool with someone getting fired for being a Nazi. Funny how I can hold these two apparently conflicting ideas at the same time.

Okay now write it into a law that actually works the way you think it will. I'm not debating the morality of it, I'm 100% on the 'it is moral to drive Nazis back into the dark and out of society" but I am thinking about working that in context of the monumentally flawed and hosed up US legal system.

Lemming posted:

That should fall under reasonable labor laws, not discrimination.

Lightning Knight posted:

Bosses will fire you either way, they'll just come up with another reason. Making political affiliation a protected class disproportionately benefits those in power.

True on both counts, thanks. Definitely not in favor of political beliefs as protected status now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/hollyotterbein/status/1060194571907485696

This guy owns

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Pages ago but living in LA, most of the transplants I know are from Ohio. No one wants to live there.

The shooting last night was in my hometown. My parents didn’t even hear about it until I told them and I’m not even in the country right now. Luckily I am too old to know anyone who goes to that place anymore.

I live in the Carolinas. Young people from Ohio are everywhere. Some are cool. More of them are awful.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

deleted?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Sure. Having a DSA sticker isn't creating a hostile work environment, unlike having a swastika or whatever.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is very very stupid.

lol, that tweet owns actually

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

DrNutt posted:

Okay now write it into a law that actually works the way you think it will.
Germany seemed to write such a law and make it work.

Bear in mind that it's assumed that the people enforcing this law are not themselves Nazis, because if that's the case no amount of law-writing is going to make a difference.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Brian Kemp is now leading Stacey Abrams 50.023% to 49.024% as votes are still being counted. If he drops to 50 percent, race goes to runoff

That's what it said.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

According to this: https://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/legacy/uploadedfiles/pcs_assets/2009/elecprovballotbrief0709pdf.pdf

provisional ballots in Florida made up 0.42% of the total ballots cast in Florida in 2008. My cursory google research shows that Democrats typically overperform in provisional ballots, though to what extent I don't know. Either way, Nelson is only 0.22% behind with some votes left to be counted in Broward and Palm Beach (D strongholds) along with these provisional ballots which probably will chip in to the difference a bit.

This is going to be EXTREMELY close.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Groovelord Neato posted:

he named his son buckley.

“Hi, I’m Tucker, and these are my children, Buckley, Luckland,

And Fred.”

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ash Crimson posted:

Are you thinking of the Qing?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Mind_Taker posted:

According to this: https://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/legacy/uploadedfiles/pcs_assets/2009/elecprovballotbrief0709pdf.pdf

provisional ballots in Florida made up 0.42% of the total ballots cast in Florida in 2008. My cursory google research shows that Democrats typically overperform in provisional ballots, though to what extent I don't know. Either way, Nelson is only 0.22% behind with some votes left to be counted in Broward and Palm Beach (D strongholds) along with these provisional ballots which probably will chip in to the difference a bit.

This is going to be EXTREMELY close.

Here is that statistical anomaly that someone mentioned earlier

https://twitter.com/mcimaps/status/1060642052646625281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/mcimaps/status/1060642052646625281

this image is basically why Nelson thinks he has a real shot at winning a recount. obviously, if it's flawed ballot design (lol butterfly ballot) there's nothing to be done but if it's a machine error, he thinks he can pick up a good chunk of votes on the recount and flip the result.

note (a) this would not help gillum and (b) would start creating more of a Nelson/Gillum split that would give us some more head-scratching data on wtf happened in Florida.