Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

can't believe nobody suggested sephirot, the best trial

smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That Miqo'te in the XV crossover doesn't sound like an Eorzean at all.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Serious question, how does one even begin to wrap their heads around learning Hello World in o12s? I've been linked the literally 50 page powerpoint presentation on the strat but it's breaking my brain trying to memorize this. I've never come across a mechanic I couldn't learn before but this is something else.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

"gotta go fast"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That Miqo'te in the XV crossover doesn't sound like an Eorzean at all.

It's so baffling. They've well established their London-based English VO crew at this point, and then heeeeeere comes California Girl Catgirl for the crossover, and her diction is nothing like XIV either

It rather feels like the XV crew are just going for the lowest-rent local option for that and aren't coordinating with the BizDiv 5 crew much

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Furthermore why isn't Prompto the catboy

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thordan, Shinryu, and NED would probably be the best showcase fights for people who are both FF nerds and impressed by "holy poo poo look at all this crazy stuff happening".

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Daynab posted:

Serious question, how does one even begin to wrap their heads around learning Hello World in o12s? I've been linked the literally 50 page powerpoint presentation on the strat but it's breaking my brain trying to memorize this. I've never come across a mechanic I couldn't learn before but this is something else.

The usual thing with mechanics like this is don't bother learning the entire mechanic, just learn what you specifically need to do.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Eureka Pyros posted:

Lamebrix Strikebocks: Pshhh... Shkohhh... Lamebrix crush uplanders this time for sure!

Lamebrix Strikebocks: Pssshkoh... Lamebrix has new toys for funplaying! Spent much jinglyshine!

oh god he's back

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

The usual thing with mechanics like this is don't bother learning the entire mechanic, just learn what you specifically need to do.

Yeah that makes sense but it's I guess more of like, I don't know when I could be adjusting to other people doing something more if I'm not sure what everyone else is doing but maybe that's my usual habit of trying to learn and observe what everyone else is doing at work right now :v:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Daynab posted:

The short term version is if you can't or just don't want to wrap your head around the mechanic in it's entirety you can do it by rote memorization of your own personal role. Tanks always have two sets of actions. Healers also only have two. DPS get owned with four possibilities but even that can be picked up in time.

It can be difficult to approach hello world just by looking at the powerpoint because that is just one way to approach what HW is asking you to do. My group never even went with that, using an earlier strategy from a text guide that we modified to work better for us.

But hey if you want the long version god knows I can write words and I don't mind dropping an essay on a mechanic I actually really like, sooooo...

Learning it from first principles requires understanding that there is no hard and fast set of actions that they expect you to perform. They give you some debuffs and some logic behind them, a set amount of time, and sit back to see if you make it through to the other side.

1. Your original set of debuffs is: a wide circle AoE which I will call "defamation" as it is very similar to an attack of that name from A12S, a small AoE stack-damage circle, and a timed blue debuff that murders everyone if it isn't removed by being hit by one of the AoEs before it expires.

2. Every AoE debuff will spread to anyone who is hit by it, regardless of if someone needs to get hit by it or not. So if you are tagged by defamation , you now have a brand new defamation debuff of your own that's going to go off in a few seconds. Every AoE debuff also gives you protection from getting it more then once; so if you have the defamation debuff, and it goes off, even if you get hit by another defamation debuff a few seconds later you don't magically get it again.

3. Halfway through the phase Omega shakes things up with Critical Error. This does two things: if you have the defamation protection, that protection is removed (meaning if you're clipped you can end up with defamation a second time). If you do not have the protection (meaning you have not yet detonated a defamation yourself in the HW phase) then you are instantly afflicted with it, and have to move somewhere to let it detonate safely.

So that's how HW1 stands and you have a few goals. You can't just let the initial defamation explode and not spread it because when Critical Error happens suddenly everyone will have defamation debuffs and there isn't enough room in the arena to handle more than four going off simultaneously. You need to spread the defamation in a controlled fashion so that 4-5 people in the party handle it before Critical Error, and the rest of them handle it afterwards. How this is done is up to you. The two standard strategies are 1-3-4 (initial def passes it to three people, who detonate safely; four people get it after CE, and there's just enough space to fit them in) or 1-2-2-3 (initial def passes to two people, who pass to two other people, then CE happens, and the remaining three detonate. A more hectic initial phase in exchange for easier positioning after CE).

Meanwhile, you have two stack-damage debuffs that will need to be soaked. The stack also spreads, so you don't want to split it between three+ people if you can help it (because it will start on one person, spread to the other two, then the other two go off simultaneously and you all die). You get stack protection after it goes off, just like defamation, so it's safest to just share it between two people, those people taking the damage twice. A tank can soak it by themselves. This requires healer attention.

That's the core of the phase. HW2 will still follow the same pattern, because all those debuffs are still there, but it adds two additional mechanics.

4. Now a healer will starts with what's colloquially called "rot". This cannot be removed early - it counts down, and when it expires, it does a small AoE (a little smaller than the stack AoE) and anyone within that AoE is murdered. The actual rot player takes zero damage - they can only kill others with this. Standing next to a player while you have the rot debuff will spread it to the other player, who will now have their own rot at a fresh duration.

5. Three towers appear during the Critical Error cast. A few seconds after the cast, if there isn't a player standing in the tower, the party is killed. If you DO stand in the towers you are saved from a wipe, but only for a few moments - the tower players get a special pink debuff that, if it expires, kills everyone. This is like the blue debuff from the start of HW with one very important exception: the only way to defuse it is for the player with it to have rot expire. So whoever is standing in a tower has to have rot applied, then get the pink debuff from defusing the tower, then have the rot go off. The tower spawns, and tower activations, happen well after the original rot would have expired, which means you not only have to pass rot to keep it active, but you have to intentionally have three people with active rot in order to safely defuse the towers.

That seems like a lot, and it is, but it just requires planning, and forethought. A healer always starts with rot. They'll have to pass it to someone in order to keep a rot around for towers. Who gets it? Does more than one person get it? Someone needs to have rot to pass to people responsible for towers. Who should those people be? What will they do after the rot expires? It's less free-form then you may think, because all of the different debuffs in play restrict who can be somewhere at any given point.

If you really want to understand HW and your own role in it you need to just internalize how the debuffs work. Then look at the powerpoint, or a text guide, and don't just see a role icon moving from place to place to place - try and understand why they're going there, and doing what they're doing, based on what the debuffs require of them.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh, so we're going full chrono stasis again, cool.

Can't wait to get to O12s :allears:

We've cleared 10s but we can't do it consistently, that fight is still crazy punishing for the slightest error. :negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My party is stuck on shield / blades in the M/Faust part of O12S due to losing a lot of play time in the last couple weeks. I hadn't looked ahead, but of course they have a "gently caress you, you must nisi" mechanic.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Does Reprisal need to be applied before the boss starts the move or before the move ends?

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

Captain Cappy posted:

Does Reprisal need to be applied before the boss starts the move or before the move ends?

Before the cast bar ends

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Hello World

:magical:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Speaking of Hello World

Goodbye Omega

Starring Please Calm Down

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Both my healers for O12N were doing 268 and 198 DPS. It was a loving travesty. Those are like, "only using Assize for damage" numbers.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well, I made a new glam since I subbed back up for a little bit.

I also have one that's closer to the sky pirate coat + ghost baroque skirt that was posted several pages back, with a bit of my own spin on it.

I need to actually get the Seeing Horde Katana to complete the look, but that's gonna be a project for this weekend.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

quote:

Bonus In-Game Items
Don’t forget, attendees will receive in-game item codes that you can redeem for the SDS Fenrir mount and the Tifa minion on the Mog Station!

In-game item codes will be delivered to the e-mail address that was used to purchase the tickets, similar to how the Merchandise pre-order codes were sent. For example, if you purchased four tickets in your order, then you will receive all four sets of in-game item codes. Distribute the codes to those in your party, so you can all ride in style! In-game item code emails are scheduled to begin distribution on Friday, November 16 at 12:00 p.m. (PT).

https://fanfest2.finalfantasyxiv.com/2018-19/na/news-na/loot-revealed-presenting-the-goody-bag

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Have they said when they're going to be putting SDS Fenrir on the mogstation for those of us that didn't get tickets? I know they were planning on something like that due to the scalping fiasco.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably soon(tm) thereafter.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got BLM to 70, carried over my SMN/RDM gear and grabbed a 380 crafted weapon for a lark. Doubt I'll use it in raids or anything, but holy gently caress the AOE in EXDR. :eyepop: Flare x3 into a 48+k foul crit is a thing of absolute obscene majesty.

Monathin posted:

Have they said when they're going to be putting SDS Fenrir on the mogstation for those of us that didn't get tickets? I know they were planning on something like that due to the scalping fiasco.
Not sure, but I suspect it'd be sometime next year at the very earliest.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Asimo posted:

Finally got BLM to 70, carried over my SMN/RDM gear and grabbed a 380 crafted weapon for a lark. Doubt I'll use it in raids or anything, but holy gently caress the AOE in EXDR. :eyepop: Flare x3 into a 48+k foul crit is a thing of absolute obscene majesty.

On the other end of this spectrum: I realized I never did Phantom Train as BLM, and Jesus Christ, I dropped so many enochians. Replaying fights I've only ever done as RDM with BLM is an eye-opener.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Arist posted:

Both my healers for O12N were doing 268 and 198 DPS. It was a loving travesty. Those are like, "only using Assize for damage" numbers.

Honest Healers: I'm focusing on healing, I don't have time for DPS.
Also Honest Healers: Dang I died.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Asimo posted:

If you include Firestarter proc swapping right after an MP tick, and are clever with timing your Fouls, you can actually do two Fouls, Five Flares, and another Foul. If anything lives long enough for it that is!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Honest Healers: I'm focusing on healing, I don't have time for DPS.
Also Honest Healers: Dang I died.

dont have time for mechanics, im healing over here.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the killing irony of ff14 healing is that healers who are used to filing GCDs with nukes know how to get the most out of every healing GCD/oGCD--so they can go back to nuking faster--and therefore can make bars go up way better when the chips are down

KoB
May 1, 2009

:feelsgood:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Nice, my previous best with pubs was 13m. It was glorious.

KoB
May 1, 2009

isk posted:

Nice, my previous best with pubs was 13m. It was glorious.

Felt good after last night of "why do you sprint?"

Matched with a WHM/BLM/RDM/WAR(me).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

KoB posted:

Felt good after last night of "why do you sprint?"

Funnier than it should be

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cabbit posted:

On the other end of this spectrum: I realized I never did Phantom Train as BLM, and Jesus Christ, I dropped so many enochians. Replaying fights I've only ever done as RDM with BLM is an eye-opener.
Yeah. I poked at a few alphascape fights to see, and it... well it wasn't that bad, but even dropping enochian 2-3 times during a fight was still pretty crippling and felt pretty bad. I'm to old and dumb so RDM is a lot more my speed for actually hard content, alas.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Question: how do the raid groups here handle those last two ahk morns in 10s? The way we do it isn't pretty and is up to the luck of where the first exaflare spawns.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Just hit 70 on whm. The final class quest was but of a pain, at first. Saw a couple video walkthroughs - and I noticed they changed some of the mechanics. If you want to know for yourself or alt, here's how I did it.
White Mage Level 70 Class Quest Walkthrough:
Just dotted and stoned the single void thing a few times. I used regen and 1-2 cure 2's on self during this. Then he did an AE. Then I stoned him a couple more times and he tethered to Gatty while spanwing 3 void portals. Popped thin air for mana savings. Stood between the smaller two and did a swiftcast-holy, assize (maybe aero on one of them) so they close before anything comes through.
A little time so I threw a regen and couple cure 2's on Gatty.

Winged Demon thing comes through larger void portal (no way to do enough damage to close it before it spawns). Dotted, stoned, keep and eye on Gatty's health. Fluid Aura the demon across the room bought me two GCDs. Some untargetable sword things spawn in a 4 pointed star pattern on ground and do cross ae. Avoided that, three new void portals spawn. Demon thing is down to about 50%. Stoned one before it opened. They're too far apart to holy/assize. Other two spawned blob things that do moderate-high ranged damage (about 2500 per hit). Positioned in middle of room near Gatty and swiftcase-holy and assize. Couple ticks of aero and both died. Winged Demon died. Healed Gatty (and Sophie when the Conjurer guildmaster raised her) to full.

Gatty regained control. Original void thing untethered, and everyone rushes to kill it. Mixed dotting Void thing, and group healed (med/med2 worked on comrades here). Void thing died after 30-60 seconds. Duty complete.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

That quest was hilarious because everyone just immediately got over the fact her mom's soul aether got eaten by a demon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That quest ended so abruptly.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mother May I Do The Most Smallest Double Pull For Babies?

(I survived after they let the tank die by casting mana ward and sprinting around the room, just to let you know how baby the pull was)

Edit: I rarely ask permission to double pull. I'm the tank and you're along for the ride, now heal me slave cast holy.

Algid posted:

That quest was hilarious because everyone just immediately got over the fact her mom's soul aether got eaten by a demon.

I don't care about the story so I skipped the cutscene and was wondering the whole fight if her mom turned into the voidspawn or was always the voidspawn. After the fight I didn't get any answers.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 9, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Apparently, it's a thing that corpses in O10S can steal the Bulwark buff if you walk over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sometimes it's clear why there's a dearth of tanks. Who wants to be chastised like a child?