Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Or is this something best to ask in a couple weeks years when major maybe patches have come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Spacedad posted:

That would probably mean dropping your entire inventory on death

Rofl no

If they did that, no one would ever play on the PvP servers for any reason other than to grief others, at which point you'd just be playing team deathmatch in a Bethesda game. The PvP rewards are fine as they are. Instead, the way PvP servers should be balanced is that you gain greater PvE XP on them, meaning people would be more inclined to go there for high-risk-high-reward leveling rather than epic grifs. You'd get a healthy mix of people actually trying to play the game and assholes trying to grief them for no reason.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 8, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I'm very interested to see how the "red" murderer mechanic plays out post launch when people are higher level and murderer bounties are much higher.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

Minorkos posted:

team deathmatch in a Bethesda game
I could see that working out ok to be honest. It'd have near zero overlap with the playerbase that actually wants to play a Fallout game, but so long as it's confined to its own dedicated servers and keeps a certain type of player out of everyone else's hair, I'd say let them pee vee pee each other into the sunset

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Loops posted:

I could see that working out ok to be honest. It'd have near zero overlap with the playerbase that actually wants to play a Fallout game, but so long as it's confined to its own dedicated servers and keeps a certain type of player out of everyone else's hair, I'd say let them pee vee pee each other into the sunset

Supposedly there's already going to be Team Deathmatch in FO76, it was in the datamined loading screen messages

Some examples:
    Team Deathmatch is timed. The highest scoring team within the time limit, or the first team to score 50 points, wins
    Eliminate enemy players to score points and bring victory for your side in Team Deathmatch!
    The arenas for Team Deathmatch are randomly picked from one of the many locations within Appalachia
    Each Quickplay PvE session features an Event that you and your team are tasked with completing
    Quickplay PvE matches you with other players, ready to face the challenges of Appalachia as a team
    Already grouped up with your friends? Quickplay PvE will match you all together

Fuzzykins fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 8, 2018

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So a question out of nowhere since I haven't seen it on any videos and I didn't do the beta due to scheduling.

Does the game still have land mines, and if so how do they work with other players? Like if you use one can anyone set them off, even allies? Or will only players you've entered into PVP with set them off?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Fuzzykins posted:

Supposedly there's already going to be Team Deathmatch in FO76, it was in the datamined loading screen messages

There's an event in Watoga High School with a PvP mode. Basically, 1 players picks up a monster mask and other players in the area have to chase that dude down and kill him to get the mask for themselves. The dude who has held the mask the longest wins the event.

The same place also happens to be a loving godlike XP grinding spot. Here's the location if someone is interested.

Not exactly where the arrow is pointing, but the far right building in the Watoga area.

Werix posted:

So a question out of nowhere since I haven't seen it on any videos and I didn't do the beta due to scheduling.

Does the game still have land mines, and if so how do they work with other players? Like if you use one can anyone set them off, even allies? Or will only players you've entered into PVP with set them off?

There are land mines. And I'm going to make an educated guess that only hostile characters (characters with red health bars) will set them off since that's how it's worked in past Bethesda Fallouts.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Werix posted:

Only players who have bounties/attacked you will set them off. They are like the Fallout 4 mines, except they have a smaller trigger range and go off instantly. They don't beep and give you 2 seconds to disarm.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Why Fallout 76

When it could be Interstate 76

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Why Fallout 76

Battle royale with cars is a thing that already exist, if is your thing.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Minorkos posted:

There are land mines. And I'm going to make an educated guess that only hostile characters (characters with red health bars) will set them off since that's how it's worked in past Bethesda Fallouts.

I was doing something on a terminal and a group of 3 that had just finished doing it before me starting throwing all of their mines at my feet to try to kill me. They definitely triggered by landing under me, and put the group into pvp enabled mode. I'm guessing that they'll trigger for any non-friendly that crosses them, but with damage reduced if they're not in pvp. I'd say drop them all at random by cars, but I'm sure that there's some sort of cell respawn/reset mechanic that would wipe them once you're a certain distance away if no one stays in the cell to maintain its state.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So what's the assumption here? That Atoms and accounts will carry over from beta to release, but characters won't?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Supposedly, everything will

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Minorkos posted:

There's an event in Watoga High School with a PvP mode. Basically, 1 players picks up a monster mask and other players in the area have to chase that dude down and kill him to get the mask for themselves. The dude who has held the mask the longest wins the event.

So you've got to go to the High School to initiate the mass killing mode?

Seems like that's a little in poor taste.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Bobulus posted:

So what's the assumption here? That Atoms and accounts will carry over from beta to release, but characters won't?

No assumption? Everything's supposed to carry over

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

NeurosisHead posted:

I was doing something on a terminal and a group of 3 that had just finished doing it before me starting throwing all of their mines at my feet to try to kill me. They definitely triggered by landing under me, and put the group into pvp enabled mode. I'm guessing that they'll trigger for any non-friendly that crosses them, but with damage reduced if they're not in pvp. I'd say drop them all at random by cars, but I'm sure that there's some sort of cell respawn/reset mechanic that would wipe them once you're a certain distance away if no one stays in the cell to maintain its state.

I was hoping they would add mines to the CAMP defense tab. That way they persist until someone triggers them kinda like the punji boards.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Xik posted:

So you've got to go to the High School to initiate the mass killing mode?

Seems like that's a little in poor taste.

Absolutely, but plenty appropriate. End of the world; that the children's game of Smear the Queer -which is already a perverse game- becomes something utterly gruesome shouldn't be tasteful. It can certainly be fitting... as silly and irrelevant as I am sure the conditions for the event are.

Basically, look at it the other way around. It's not a 'mass shooting'. It's a bunch of people shooting one person. This is a lynching! :v: But this is only to illustrate the notion that you're not going to make something tasteful out of the contrivance of making a game out of killing people.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kiggles posted:

Absolutely, but plenty appropriate. End of the world; that the children's game of Smear the Queer -which is already a perverse game- becomes something utterly gruesome shouldn't be tasteful. It can certainly be fitting... as silly and irrelevant as I am sure the conditions for the event are.

Basically, look at it the other way around. It's not a 'mass shooting'. It's a bunch of people shooting one person. This is a lynching! :v: But this is only to illustrate the notion that you're not going to make something tasteful out of the contrivance of making a game out of killing people.

:yikes:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Final Beta session starting in less than an hour

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Kiggles posted:

every day we stray further from the pip boy's light

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

mormonpartyboat posted:

every day we stray further from the pip boy's light

Maybe we are trying to sneak at the moment. :colbert:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Servers are up!

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Minorkos posted:

Rofl no

If they did that, no one would ever play on the PvP servers for any reason other than to grief others, at which point you'd just be playing team deathmatch in a Bethesda game. The PvP rewards are fine as they are. Instead, the way PvP servers should be balanced is that you gain greater PvE XP on them, meaning people would be more inclined to go there for high-risk-high-reward leveling rather than epic grifs. You'd get a healthy mix of people actually trying to play the game and assholes trying to grief them for no reason.

Hmm other survival games don't have this issue, I know this isnt that type of game but still. I can't really see how having pvp servers isn't a good option as it stands right now seems like the pvp is pointless to engage in.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm so ready to start my character over again.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Has anyone found the plans for power armor workbench? My armor is really close to starting to go, and the ones in the wild dont work.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I pity all the newbies who go through the Vault Tutorial, then step outside to meet a dozen level 75 dudes in power armor wielding tricked-out miniguns and rocket-powered baseball bats

Such a pity that you can't hurt them until they're level 5 though...

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Vinylshadow posted:

I pity all the newbies who go through the Vault Tutorial, then step outside to meet a dozen level 75 dudes in power armor wielding tricked-out miniguns and rocket-powered baseball bats

Such a pity that you can't hurt them until they're level 5 though...
Plus the level 75 players are normally gonna be put on a different server, so every time they wanted to do this they gotta get a level one mule to go and then invite them in.

But yeah we're they're probably going to be hiding at Flatwoods or the next main quest step after that to reap the most tears.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

Has anyone found the plans for power armor workbench? My armor is really close to starting to go, and the ones in the wild dont work.

The Enclave Base sells the plans for about 1000 caps. However you have to do the quests to get access to it. They start at the abandoned waste dump location on the bank of the farthest east river on the map. If you need a picture it is on the discord in the intel channel.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Drashin posted:

The Enclave Base sells the plans for about 1000 caps. However you have to do the quests to get access to it. They start at the abandoned waste dump location on the bank of the farthest east river on the map. If you need a picture it is on the discord in the intel channel.

I'll have to get on that then.

I never really had issue with the stash limit but now its getting to be ridiculous. I'm carrying 353 on me atm, out of 225 max while running around in power armor suit. I cant store any of these weapons I've found that I dont want to use yet but dont want to lose. Please just let us have a armor and weapon stash.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
nuclear codes expire

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Didnt someone say a few pages ago that bulking junk doesnt actually lower weight? Because it does look like it does. Unless I'm missing something.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DurosKlav posted:

Didnt someone say a few pages ago that bulking junk doesnt actually lower weight? Because it does look like it does. Unless I'm missing something.

It only reduces weight for lead and steel. Acid it increase. Everything else just becomes a bundle of 10.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DurosKlav posted:

I think it was that it's negligible. I had asked the question, and that at least was my take away from the answers. More importantly, I learned that you can sell bulk scrap, so I know what to do with all of the garbage steel I have that I don't need!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Songbearer posted:

Why Fallout 76

"Hey Stampede..." Charisma Perk: Press Y when in Pip-Boy to have Taurus read a poem.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Terminal autist posted:

Hmm other survival games don't have this issue, I know this isnt that type of game but still. I can't really see how having pvp servers isn't a good option as it stands right now seems like the pvp is pointless to engage in.

But other survival games have exactly the issue that no one ever tries to do anything besides kill each other in them

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I went on a walk from Airport to ~The Palace of Winding Paths~. Two dudes looted the place before I got there so I just got was box loot.

But there was a body at the top. She was a named woman. Next to her was a daytripper and some daddy-os. Her note read "TaKE Me WItH YoU" I found a note implying there are more drugs at The Mega Red Rocket Truck Stop. Seems like enough of a thread to take another walk.

Took a bunch of photos with the Palace Frame and the psychadelic filters. Since the start of the beta I've gotten enough screenshots to make the loading screens kinda neat. Game is ok. I'm not mad at it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
had an annoying bug where i couldn't access "searched" meat. it would show up in the transfer screen but i couldn't pick it up

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Took over a claimed base that someone built up before they logged off. Had all the extractors up and I was getting some good amount of junk income. Was another fun beta. I got like 1200 atoms how do I spend them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Had an instance where my character hard locked when I tried getting into some power armor. I could open up the map but that was it.

In spite of everything I still would probably get the game just for the exploration aspect. But not at $60, and since it's not on Steam I can't forsee a sale in the near future (read: before the next Bethesda release).