Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Germany seemed to write such a law and make it work.

Bear in mind that it's assumed that the people enforcing this law are not themselves Nazis, because if that's the case no amount of law-writing is going to make a difference.

Yeah but in Germany's case there's a very specific thing about unpersoning and keeping specifically Nazis held down. It's not like making the Nazi party specifically excluded will prevent people from using other labels to disguise their white nationalism. For instance in the US we have the Republican Party.

e: In any case my concerns were addressed and it's not really worth me worrying about anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/mcimaps/status/1060642052646625281

this image is basically why Nelson thinks he has a real shot at winning a recount. obviously, if it's flawed ballot design (lol butterfly ballot) there's nothing to be done but if it's a machine error, he thinks he can pick up a good chunk of votes on the recount and flip the result.

note (a) this would not help gillum and (b) would start creating more of a Nelson/Gillum split that would give us some more head-scratching data on wtf happened in Florida.

i thought racism is what happened in florida

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herewaard posted:

i thought racism is what happened in florida

Many things happened in Florida. It is a land of contrasts.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/mcimaps/status/1060642052646625281

this image is basically why Nelson thinks he has a real shot at winning a recount. obviously, if it's flawed ballot design (lol butterfly ballot) there's nothing to be done but if it's a machine error, he thinks he can pick up a good chunk of votes on the recount and flip the result.

note (a) this would not help gillum and (b) would start creating more of a Nelson/Gillum split that would give us some more head-scratching data on wtf happened in Florida.

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1060635668655890437

I disagree with this guy, I was just posting it for the image. Unfortunately I can see why people might have skipped over voting in the Senate: it's in the bottom left corner and his point about the secretary of agriculture doesn't make sense since it is in a different column and these are clearly read in column order, not row.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Seth Grossman, the failed Republican candidate in New Jersey’s 2nd district, attributes his loss to the “distraction” of fighting accusations of racism, according to a Thursday NJ.com report.

Grossman is the same would-be politician who has called diversity “crap” and “un-American.”

“There’s no doubt in my mind that if I did not have unnecessary distractions thrown into my path I would have won yesterday’s election as a pro-Trump candidate because this is a pro-Trump district,” Grossman told NJ.com. “I was distracted trying to prove I’m not a racist.”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/1060577331759210497

wthf is wrong with you colbert?

i thought he was at least a little better than this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1060635668655890437

I kind of disagree with this guy, I was just posting it for the image. Unfortunately I can see why people might have skipped over voting in the Senate: it's in the bottom left corner

oh yeah i can easily see people missing that, and the race below it is uncontested so you can't look at votes for that to disprove the theory it's ballot design

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

If only the libs hadn't made him say all that racist stuff.:qq:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

Noted white rich media personality opposes the idea of normalizing protesting white rich media personalities at their homes. I am thoroughly surprised by this.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

evilweasel posted:

my basic point is, democrats have won in florida so "close loss" is something you can consider blaming on the candidate and suggest a better candidate might have won. that's hard in florida where you have gillum and nelson having the same amount of votes, but it's not immediately obvious that's wrong. it's not a knock on gillum - I don't know why he lost and I think he was a great candidate - but it's not immediately and obviously wrong to say "well, he lost, they should have nominated someone else." saying that about someone who only barely lost in Georgia is immediately and obviously wrong and is just like "have you heard of Georgia?"
I invite you to review the previous few florida gubernetorial elections, such as 2010 republican-turned independant charlie crist deciding not to run again and Alex Sink losing in the massive backlash against Obamacare. Then, perhaps, investigate the 2014 election, where Rick Scott defeated republican-turned-independent-ex-governor-turned-democrat Charlie Crist lost with about 3/4 of the votes that Gillum had.

I don't know if you can get any more moderate than republican->independant->dem no really honest, but he came up short 1.2 million votes that gillum turned out. At some point you're just arguing that "hypothetical campaign obama, except white because florida is very racist would have won".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

If only the libs hadn't made him say all that racist stuff.:qq:

please don't mock this poor man's struggle to prove that he, a pro-trump republican, was not a racist

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

oh yeah i can easily see people missing that, and the race below it is uncontested so you can't look at votes for that to disprove the theory it's ballot design

You'd need to compare it to similar ballots where there was a race on the bottom left in one district and somewhere else in another district to know for sure. Without a comparison it's just conjecture

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harik posted:

I invite you to review the previous few florida gubernetorial elections, such as 2010 republican-turned independant charlie crist deciding not to run again and Alex Sink losing in the massive backlash against Obamacare. Then, perhaps, investigate the 2014 election, where Rick Scott defeated republican-turned-independent-ex-governor-turned-democrat Charlie Crist lost with about 3/4 of the votes that Gillum had.

I don't know if you can get any more moderate than republican->independant->dem no really honest, but he came up short 1.2 million votes that gillum turned out. At some point you're just arguing that "hypothetical campaign obama, except white because florida is very racist would have won".

i invite you to read my post again, which very specifically makes sure to make clear that i am not saying the thing you're complaining about here

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i miss campaign obama

not so much president obama

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Condiv posted:

Class solidarity at work.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lemming posted:

You'd need to compare it to similar ballots where there was a race on the bottom left in one district and somewhere else in another district to know for sure. Without a comparison it's just conjecture

I mean, we'll find out definitively when they do a hand recount. We just can't check that theory by looking at the existing vote totals right now, over the internet. If the race under that was contested, we could check if this was a ballot design error (if that race also had significant undervotes, probably ballot design; if that race did not have significant undervotes, probably machine error).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

What in the gently caress did they do to ruffle the :decorum: libs so much? A protest is an attack now?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I look forward to learning what the 2018 equivalent is for hanging chads.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Lightning Knight posted:

Noted white rich media personality opposes the idea of normalizing protesting white rich media personalities at their homes. I am thoroughly surprised by this.

He's probably afraid right-wingers will see him as a good Tucker equivalent on the left and "protest" on his porch. ...And these guys are more likely to bring real bombs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

do you not remember 'the rally to restore sanity'

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

selec posted:

Class solidarity at work.

Yeah exactly. Colbert has more in common with Tucker than he does the people Tucker attacks.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What should I write on my sign for the protest today

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Condiv posted:

Colbert has always been a pretty milquetoast lib

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Deified Data posted:

What in the gently caress did they do to ruffle the :decorum: libs so much? A protest is an attack now?

Uh the election is over you’re supposed to go back to normal now

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Condiv posted:

kidkissinger posted:

Colbert has always been a pretty milquetoast lib

Yeah, I love him to death, but he's still an out-of-touch rich guy. I'm guessing he probably heard the story colored with the same "SOMEONE THREATENED TO BOMB HIS KIDS!:qq:" nonsense that we saw here too, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deified Data posted:

the "protest" broke down his door iirc, it wasn't people holding signs outside it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bakanogami posted:

What should I write on my sign for the protest today

"CUM"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Yeah but in Germany's case there's a very specific thing about unpersoning and keeping specifically Nazis held down. It's not like making the Nazi party specifically excluded will prevent people from using other labels to disguise their white nationalism. For instance in the US we have the Republican Party.

e: In any case my concerns were addressed and it's not really worth me worrying about anymore.

The law probably helps some, but Germany has AfD...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Deified Data posted:

He doesn't want the chuds he pisses off showing up on his lawn

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

the "protest" broke down his door iirc, it wasn't people holding signs outside it

Which is property damage, which doesn't matter as much as society wants us to believe it should.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Deified Data posted:

Liberal TV hosts probably realize that if the right wing sees "harassing the other side's tv hosts at their home" as something both sides are allowed to do, those right wing crazies will show up at their homes. (And are rightfully scared because those crazies legitimately will make threats instead of just chanting and causing a ruckus)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

There is no war but class war, Stephen.

e: no one broke down his loving door. Someone pounded on it and he claims there's a crack in it.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS/status/1060646924276121600

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lightning Knight posted:

Which is property damage, which doesn't matter as much as society wants us to believe it should.

Maybe they thought he was the enemy of the people for some reason.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

breaking down someone's door while people are home is a very explicit threat of violence, and that context is easily understood by anyone

this is a worse argument than "i am just carrying these large military-style rifles as part of a peaceful protest"

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lightning Knight posted:

I had a very long discussion with my mom where she accused me of being a terrorist because I said confederate statues should be ripped down. "it's property, and i raised you not to deface property!"

capitalist culture enforcing the standard that property is more important than people loving sucks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Condiv posted:

Remember when a chud attempted to assassinate prominent leaders and former leaders of the Democratic party and everyone collectively shrugged?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

if CHUDs broke down Jim Acosta's door you would not be trying to trivialize it.

Spaced God posted:

I had a very long discussion with my mom where she accused me of being a terrorist because I said confederate statues should be ripped down. "it's property, and i raised you not to deface property!"

capitalist culture enforcing the standard that property is more important than people loving sucks

hot take: protecting property and protecting people are cool+good things

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lightning Knight posted:

Breaking down the front door of a house with people in it is not mere property damage, dude. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mistaya posted:

e: no one broke down his loving door. Someone pounded on it and he claims there's a crack in it.

oh, that's a different story then