Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Why is the AG commissioner running above Gillum and Nelson? Is her opponent Roy Moore?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mitt trying to primary Trump in 2020 sure would be... something.

He'll get at least one vote in Arizona.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

North Carolina Decides, 2020!

Part three of my spiteful campaign to against people who say you can’t make predictions about 2020 when it’s over two years away (and also, indirectly, Sun and all who draw sustenance from it). This time, we’ll be looking at potential swing state, definite Senate battleground, and voter suppression state of North Carolina. As always, skim for the highlights in bold.

My first post, covering the Presidential and House elections in general
My second post, covering the Senate and Governor elections in general

North Carolina is a southern state, and is the 9th most populous state in America. The largest city, Charlotte, is the third largest banking center in the US, while the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill Research Triangle is the largest research park in the US. The median household income is $50,797, the 38th highest in the nation. As of the 2010 Census, North Carolina is 65.3% Non-Hispanic White, 21.5% Black, and 8.4% Hispanic. 58.5% of the people residing in North Carolina were born there. Over the last few decades, North Carolina has become increasingly less white, more educated, and wealthier, and the state population has been growing faster than the national average. A significant amount of those changes has been driven by growth in the previously mentioned Raleigh-Durham Research Triangle and Charlotte metro area.

Historically, like the rest of the Southern states, North Carolina became a Republican stronghold after the post-Civil Rights political realignment. But like Virginia to the immediate north, the increasingly diverse, college-educated, and wealthy population has resulted in a more Democratic-friendly electorate, and minority and urban voters are increasingly engaged.

Presidential Election
In 2020, North Carolina will have 15 electoral votes. Barack Obama won the state by .3% in 2008 and lost it by 2.1% in 2012 - it, along with Indiana, were the only Obama states that Romney flipped. Donald Trump won the state in 2016 with 49.8% of the vote - .6% of the vote less than Romney, and failing to achieve a plurality. Obama's narrow victory in 2008 depended on building a new coalition of black and urban voters along the I-85 corridor, and was helped tremendously by the 2008 economic collapse. Romney re-took the state in part due to strong performance of suburban Charlotte voters. Trump and Clinton both underperformed and overperformed compared to previous elections - both candidates received more total votes in North Carolina, but a smaller percentage of votes cast. Third-party and write-in votes spiked to 4% in 2016, with Gary Johnson receiving 2.8% of the total votes.

As far as 2020 analysis goes, North Carolina is almost certainly going to be considered a swing state. Despite winning the state, Trump fairly clearly underperformed in 2016 and bled votes to Gary Johnson and Hillary Clinton. Trump's issues with the college-educated whites that Romney rode to victory have only worsen, and non-college white men will make up a smaller portion of the electorate in 2020. However, that is only half of the equation - the Democratic Candidate will need to activate Obama's I-85 coalition of urban and minority voters, AND flip suburban white voters turned off by Trump, to reliably take the state. Doing only one of those things will turn the state in a late night nail-biter.

North Carolina, while a swing state, will probably not be a pivotal race for the presidential election. Most Democratic paths to the presidency (the combination of states the Democrats need to win to achieve sufficient electoral votes) won't need North Carolina. However, if Ohio appears to be a solid Trump state, that could change. With 15 electoral votes, North Carolina is the fourth most valuable swing state.

Senate Election
Thom Tillis (R-NC) is the Junior Senator for North Carolina, along with Richard Burr (R-NC). Tillis first took the senate seat in 2014, after serving four 2-year terms as the Speaker for the North Carolina House of Representatives, the lower chamber of the NC legislature. While technically not term limited, Tillis had promised to vacate the state House after 4 terms (8 years). During the 2014 elections, Tillis defeated a crowded field in the Republican Primary before unseating incumbent Kay Hagan (D-NC). Thom Tillis has been receiving minor national attention since 2011, and appears to be a competent and ambitious politician aiming for a leadership role within the Republican party. During the 2014 election, Tillis received endorsements from Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, and then-Governor Pat McCrory. He won the Republican primary with 45.7% of the vote (the next closest candidate received 27.2%) and won the general election with 48.8% of the vote (to Kay Hagan's 47.3%)

Thom Tillis has no known personal scandals, but received support from Cambridge Analytica and large amounts of out-of-state and "dark money" funding during the 2014 election. Before dissolving due to scandal and international attention after the 2016 presidential election, Cambridge Analytica advertised their work for the Tillis campaign as a "case study" for what they could do. In addition, Tillis accepted campaign donations for his federal campaign from state lobbyists while still speaker of the house, something that was technically legal but called out during the Republican primary.

Tillis has taken heterodoxical stances on Immigration (Supports Dreamers), LGBT rights (Opposes the Transgender Military Ban, supports Social Security benefits for same-sex spouses), and the Special Counsel (Co-wrote a bill that would prevent Donald Trump firing Mueller). That last one might seem important, but one of the co-authors was Lindsey Graham. He also supported the Republican gun control bills after the Pulse shooting, but still has an A+ rating for the NRA. He lobbied President Trump to withdraw from the Paris Accords.

Tillis' senate seat will be heavily contested in 2020, as he's one of the more vulnerable Republican seats. An open question is how closely Tillis will tie himself to Trump, and whether or not that will hurt him. Tillis is positioned to overperform Trump among the historically Republican suburbs of Charlotte, but the near-inevitable presence of the Trump campaign in the state could minimize split-ticket voting. There are very few hypothetical Democratic-controlled Senates that have Tillis in them.

House of Representatives
Despite obtaining only 50.3% of the vote to the Democrats 48.4%, Republicans won 10 of the 13 House districts this week. While this is partially due to new Democratic voters self-packing into metro areas, North Carolina is also a state that was partially covered by the Voter Rights Act of 1965 and has an ongoing court case about their district map. Federal judges have struck down the district map as unconstitutional twice, and the case is currently headed towards the Supreme Court. The Republican super-majority in the state legislature (appears to be) broken after the 2018 elections, but they still dominate and are fighting hard against redistricting. On the upside! There's no chance that the Democrats are going to lose any House seats in this state. Depending on what ends up happening with the district map, the Democrats might even gain a seat or two.

Governor
When Roy Cooper defeated incumbent governor Pat McCrory, he was the first challenger to defeat a sitting governor since 1850. The 2016 election was extremely close, with Roy Cooper ultimately defeating McCrory 49% to 48.8%, after a recount that lasted until December 5th. After McCrory conceded in December, but before Cooper took office, the legislature passed bills in a special session to remove power from the governor. This basically set the tenor for the rest of his time in office, where Cooper has regularly vetoed bills and budgets, and had his veto overridden in turn.

A key element that helped Cooper's election was his opposition to the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act, aka House Bill 2, aka "The Bathroom Bill". This law eliminated local anti-discrimination protection for LGBT people and required people to use the bathroom that corresponds to the sex listed on their birth certificate. This bill was in response to Charlotte passing LGBT anti-discrimination laws in city limits, and was signed into law by Pat McCrory. The subsequent international reaction, economic boycotts, and loss in tourism would cost North Carolina billions of dollars.

Cooper won't have any similar public controversy helping him during the upcoming election, which will reduce his chances… maybe. However, the ongoing battles with the state legislature haven't reduced his popularity, and incumbency has been a historically powerful factor in North Carolina governor elections… so maybe. I would say Roy Cooper's chances of winning his election in North Carolina is better than Tillis or Trump, but who the gently caress knows. Like most of the governor elections in 2020, they’re going to be hideously local, but at least Cooper won’t be a drag on his party like some states.

Edit:
I forgot to ask, what state would people like to see next? Or just shout out requests
    Colorado (Senate seat, potential swing state)
    New Hampshire (Senate seat, governor, potential swing state)
    Arizona (Senate seat)

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 9, 2018

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Protest was pretty heartening, definitely over a hundred people at its height. No good chants though and it dispersed immediately after sunset.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Triskelli posted:

Protest was pretty heartening, definitely over a hundred people at its height. No good chants though and it dispersed immediately after sunset.

Ours had some decent stuff

"No Trump, no KKK, no facist USA" was my fav new one

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Grape posted:

My dream is Mitt running independent as a spoiler candidate.

Well he carry Utah. That’s it.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Triskelli posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Sessions but this is at least seems like a good trial run for if Mueller actually gets fired. Though I'd like to see something that is more direct-action oriented like the airport protests

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao

https://twitter.com/PhilBryantMS/status/1060562170411409408

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Arturo Ui posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Sessions but this is at least seems like a good trial run for if Mueller actually gets fired. Though I'd like to see something that is more direct-action oriented like the airport protests

https://twitter.com/justinhendrix/status/1060674514160246785

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I feel like Romney was probably hoping for a much bigger blue wave so he could credibly argue "Trump doesn't work, I'm the guy to save the party!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mitt trying to primary Trump in 2020 sure would be... something.

I can already imagine how that will play out. Like Mitt will kind of sort of start to criticize something about Trump in an early debate and Trump will whine for like five minutes straight about how mean everyone is to him and how it's just so unfair and how Mitt is being 10,000 times more vicious to him than he was to Obama and then CNN/etc.'s conversations after will be "DID MITT GO TOO FAR!?!?!?"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mitt/Bloomberg trying to pull a Perot would be extremely funny

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Z. Autobahn posted:

I feel like Romney was probably hoping for a much bigger blue wave so he could credibly argue "Trump doesn't work, I'm the guy to save the party!"

Yeah, I think he might hold out for running against one of Trump's kids in 2024 or later

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
There's no way Romney is ballsy enough to try to coup Trump, losing the MAGA chud's enthusiasm if he won would be a death spell.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

Ours had some decent stuff

"No Trump, no KKK, no facist USA" was my fav new one

People were chanting that back since the airport protests during the first Muslim ban, if not earlier

It wasn't the most popular one but I'm glad it sounds like it's gaining steam since it's, uh, extremely accurate

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BerkeleyBowl/status/1059480400983056384

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Z. Autobahn posted:

His Senate run was basically win-win. If he had somehow lost in Utah, he would have been perfectly positioned to say exactly that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I can already imagine how that will play out. Like Mitt will kind of sort of start to criticize something about Trump in an early debate and Trump will whine for like five minutes straight about how mean everyone is to him and how it's just so unfair and how Mitt is being 10,000 times more vicious to him than he was to Obama and then CNN/etc.'s conversations after will be "DID MITT GO TOO FAR!?!?!?"

Yeah, it's this.

What the whole country needs to learn is that Trump or Sanders don't have to tell the truth or even be right; once they say something, for some percentage of the country, it already exists, and for those people, all those articles do is boost the signal.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1060668288408129536

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lmfao the best people

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Saying this guy looks like a thumb would be an insult to thumbs

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I've seen a number of reasonable claims made that Whittaker's appointment is illegal on a number of technicalities. What's the next step on that? Does someone need to sue, or a judge weigh in?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Trump probably had this recording and it's the reason he was hired.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Nationwide protests against Trump firing Sessions to threaten Mueller going on and literally no news coverage, lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lemming posted:

Nationwide protests against Trump firing Sessions to threaten Mueller going on and literally no news coverage, lol

did they involve a lot people?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Tucker Carlson deserved worse

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

twice burned ice posted:

To be fair that's most people

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

No Trump will just make fun of him and call him a loser just like he did to everyone in the Republican clown car debates of 2016, and will win the primary in a landslide because it's actually true.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

I'm guessing its wall to wall coverage of ______ _______? And whether Acosta actually used a Judo chop?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
A machine in Florida malfunctioned again:
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1060596882970415106

Someone call Chris Christie, we need to fix him again.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

We'll hear about it more once the police start attacking protesters.

Headline: Anti-Trump protests marred by violence as police struggle to maintain order

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1060675442301124608

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rinkles posted:

did they involve a lot people?

Yes, but it's not an astroturfed right wing protest so the media doesn't give a poo poo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

loving Canadians moving to texas ruined everything.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Why are so many undocumented immigrants voting for Cruz?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ague Proof posted:

A machine in Florida malfunctioned again:
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1060596882970415106

Someone call Chris Christie, we need to fix him again.

I thought Trump was the one who had Rubio fixed?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

loving snowbirds making the south worse than it already is.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Bernie status: definitely not racist you guys

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-andrew-gillum-stacey-abrams_us_5be48626e4b0769d24cadd68

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

There’s a really good chance a lot of those Cruz voters were older conservative Hispanics who weren’t born in Texas.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
It's on the top of CNN with a live feed.
https://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-2?adkey=bn

I'm heading out to one that should start in an hour. Later shitlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

twice burned ice posted:

He's more penis than thumb.