Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So even if Beto doesn't run for anything in Texas again, this race has a material effect on the balance in the state doesn't it?

Even aside from the Congressional and state house candidates and judges that he coattailed over the finish line, just the sheer number of people getting registered and voting for the first time makes a difference going forward does it not?

I can't remember where I saw it but there was a statistic that turnout in general is actually high among voters who are registered. The low turnout among voting age/voting eligible people in America is largely because of people not being registered. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

SirKibbles posted:

Hey I voted Beto I think it's supposed to be me but I'm from Wisconsin like 5 years ago and the only Californian is Cruz's wife so :shrug:

Same, I'm from Florida. Bringing in those "Miami values" :v:

edit: also I don't think Heidi is a Cruz supporter

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SirKibbles posted:

Hey I voted Beto I think it's supposed to be me but I'm from Wisconsin like 5 years ago and the only Californian is Cruz's wife so :shrug:

Ughhh that whole area is already a clusterfuck to go through

Did you purchase any of the following when you came here?
- F150
- Cowboy Boots
- Cowboy Hat
- A little metal star to hang from your door
- Texas Flag
- Flagpole

Do you now inexplicably have a vague mixed up southern accent despite living in major cities your entire life?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Marxalot posted:

- F150
- Cowboy Boots
- Cowboy Hat
- Texas Flag
- Flagpole

Do you now inexplicably have a vague mixed up southern accent despite living in major cities your entire life?

Also when you were planning to move here did you talk up how Texas is doing everything right unlike wherever you are leaving which is rife with moral decay and overbearing government?

Has the phrase "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." ever left your mouth?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but I'm actually Davy Crockett irl

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
More like tell people about this great BBQ place you found and how its pulled pork is amazing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lote posted:

More like tell people about this great BBQ place you found and how its pulled pork is amazing.

Complaining that a BBQ place sucks because they were out of the meat you wanted when you went at 8PM is a better tell IMO.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shifty Pony posted:

Also when you were planning to move here did you talk up how Texas is doing everything right unlike wherever you are leaving which is rife with moral decay and overbearing government?

Has the phrase "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." ever left your mouth?

The second one has technically left my mouth but that's less to do with Texas and more a personal thing

Kunabomber posted:

Same, I'm from Florida. Bringing in those "Miami values" :v:

edit: also I don't think Heidi is a Cruz supporter

That divorce getting held off for 6 more years.

zoux posted:

It does explain all the goddamned beaned chili that's everywhere these days

I've had both I don't see the big deal but it's very important to some people

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 9, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It does explain all the goddamned beaned chili that's everywhere these days

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Complaining that a BBQ place sucks because they were out of the meat you wanted when you went at 8PM is a better tell IMO.

Add in having the first reason you love a place being their great sauce, and you have the trifecta.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

So even if Beto doesn't run for anything in Texas again, this race has a material effect on the balance in the state doesn't it?

Even aside from the Congressional and state house candidates and judges that he coattailed over the finish line, just the sheer number of people getting registered and voting for the first time makes a difference going forward does it not?

I can't remember where I saw it but there was a statistic that turnout in general is actually high among voters who are registered. The low turnout among voting age/voting eligible people in America is largely because of people not being registered. Is that true?
The Republican supermajority in the lege is gone I believe which will kill some of the more insane things the Patrick-ites want to do I think. Dunno there's a lot of news right now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe julian should run against cornyn. he'll be busy running for president for a bit but he's not going to make it to iowa so he'll have the time

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

When I first moved to Texas (FROM CALIFORNIA) I saw lots of signs/stickers whatever with that phrase, without any context or knowing who said it.

I kept wondering why everyone had stickers saying Texas was a literal hell.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lmao god drat

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My neighbors are hardcore republicans that moved here from California because of the politics. They’re nice people we just don’t talk politics with them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*shoves Straus out the door while shouting "hope the door of the capitol doesn't hit you in the rear end on your way out"

*he doesn't spend any money in 2018*

"you... monster"

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1060706827552350208

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

When I first moved to Texas (FROM CALIFORNIA) I saw lots of signs/stickers whatever with that phrase, without any context or knowing who said it.

I kept wondering why everyone had stickers saying Texas was a literal hell.
because they are devil-worshippers and their god is a false one. they just don't know it

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

My neighbors are hardcore republicans that moved here from California because of the politics. They’re nice people we just don’t talk politics with them.

I personally know a former Californian that moved here because of 'the gays'

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

*shoves Straus out the door while shouting "hope the door of the capitol doesn't hit you in the rear end on your way out"

"you... monster"

Yeah, I'm sure Joe Strauss is super-bummed to start purging the Republican party of chuds.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That is the best poll of 2018. I am going to get so much mileage out of it tomorrow.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

"you... monster"

Straus is still a republican so I can’t really say he’s a good person but he is an interesting guy

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Kunabomber posted:

Maybe he's more Brokeback Mountain than Castro. Don't judge.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Badger of Basra posted:

Straus is still a republican so I can’t really say he’s a good person but he is an interesting guy

I hold him in higher esteem than I should for helping kill the bathroom bill. Haven't looked into his historical record too much because he's retiring but the whole "staffer for Reagan and GHWB" thing is eeeeesh

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1060706424496496640

mad as hell at carpetbaggers tonight

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We do have cool aesthetics

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

isk posted:

I hold him in higher esteem than I should for helping kill the bathroom bill. Haven't looked into his historical record too much because he's retiring but the whole "staffer for Reagan and GHWB" thing is eeeeesh

he also opposed the muslim ban and was trying to raise school funding and stuff and he refused to call a bunch of other things to vote too

of course now he's leaving so i imagine those bills are back with a vengeance

isk
Oct 3, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

he also opposed the muslim ban and was trying to raise school funding and stuff and he refused to call a bunch of other things to vote too

Word, thank you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

He's also an rear end in a top hat because he helped restrict abortion, but on the other hand fought to protect sanctuary cities :shrug:

I really think he may have just really hated the Tea Party legislators

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kunabomber posted:

i've got bad news for him if he moved to texas

especially if he moved to dallas

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shear Modulus posted:

maybe julian should run against cornyn. he'll be busy running for president for a bit but he's not going to make it to iowa so he'll have the time

The other Castro didn't gently caress up yet,how similar are they politics wise?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

corn in the bible posted:

He's also an rear end in a top hat because he helped restrict abortion, but on the other hand fought to protect sanctuary cities :shrug:

I really think he may have just really hated the Tea Party legislators

Straus is a bona fide Previously Standard Republican, and the most viciously effective Texan politician since LBJ

end of an era

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kunabomber posted:

Anecdotal, but the old people at my polling place really freaking loved straight ticket. Loudly announcing at the station "HEY IF I JUST FILL IN REPUBLICAN I CAN GO, RIGHT???"

If not for straight ticket voting, this one dementia-ridden 87 year old would not have been able to cast a ballot while telling me he "didn't want no demmycrat president!"

You joke, but straight-ticket voting was really helpful for people like my mom who are old but vote democrat. She has really bad eyesight and her fingers are so frail and arthritic that she can barely use the touch-screen on her iPhone, much less the touch-screen on a voting machine. She had to get help from an election official to vote dem in this midterm, which being in rural Texas, who knows if the official actually helped her do that?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Marxalot posted:

- F150
- Cowboy Boots
- Cowboy Hat
- Texas Flag
- Flagpole

I'm a native Masshole but I do say "y'all" now and use other local turns of phrase. I like to think that's just me integrating though :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 9, 2018

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm a native Masshole but I do say "y'all" now and use other local terms of phrase. I like to think that's just me integrating though :v:

Oh hey high five. Same here.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm a native Masshole but I do say "y'all" now and use other local terms of phrase. I like to think that's just me integrating though :v:

You spell it right. Doin' just fine.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

You joke, but straight-ticket voting was really helpful for people like my mom who are old but vote democrat. She has really bad eyesight and her fingers are so frail and arthritic that she can barely use the touch-screen on her iPhone, much less the touch-screen on a voting machine. She had to get help from an election official to vote dem in this midterm, which being in rural Texas, who knows if the official actually helped her do that?

All I know is that the reason for the law is democrats tend to vote using single-ticket for various reasons (language barrier perhaps being one?)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The default for y'all on my phone is ya'll and I want to die every time I dont catch it

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Sorry, didn't think of the touchscreens. Denton County has paper ballots that are filled in then put through a scanner.

Her polling station didn't have an accessible voting machine? The one we used has headphones and you can use it with either the built in scrolling and clicky controller, or you can plug in an adaptive switch or any other accessibility device through the standard port.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

isk posted:

He’s a pretty standard pro-business republican, so while he knows it’s bad for business to get bogged down in culture war bullshit he’s totally ok with loving the poor over with reduced government services in exchange for lower taxes and reduced regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

He’s a pretty standard pro-business republican, so while he knows it’s bad for business to get bogged down in culture war bullshit he’s totally ok with loving the poor over with reduced government services in exchange for lower taxes and reduced regulations.

RIP