Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H13 posted:

So I don't want to spend 1k on an Ox or a Torpedo only to find out it doesn't work as well. I'd like to do a quick and dirty test first and somehow plug my amp into the interface without blowing it (or the interface) up in the process.

Is a load box the ONLY way? Or is there another quick dirty jury rig I could swing?

the weber mass is only a couple hundred if you're just looking for something cheaper to test out

i have pretty much the setup you're describing with a mini rec through a mini mass and it's about 90% of the way there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can't stop buying instruments. Today's purchase was an emotional support Meinl TSDDG1-BK Trombone Digeridoo.

It's only £44 on Amazon Prime in the UK

I need to find a way to clip on a cheap mic to the end, and I think it could be an interesting analogue bass synth for the looping rig.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

fuctifino posted:

I can't stop buying instruments. Today's purchase was an emotional support Meinl TSDDG1-BK Trombone Digeridoo.

It's only £44 on Amazon Prime in the UK

I need to find a way to clip on a cheap mic to the end, and I think it could be an interesting analogue bass synth for the looping rig.

What do you use that for? Acoustic Skrillex coverband?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pondex posted:

What do you use that for? Acoustic Skrillex coverband?

It's going to be plugged into my live looping rig thingy, and also probably taken down to the local park to play to the squirrels.

[edit] I'm also redesigning the looping rig around the Eigenharp Tau, switching it on for the first time in years. The didge will be fixed somewhere on this frame.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 9, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
This handsome boy is currently on its way to my house:

So classy, so elegant... it definitely needs a lime green Juggernaut.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

drat that's smooth. A hot one even. Like seven inches from the midday sun.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'll mostly be playing Cannibal Corpse on it, I hope Mr. Santana won't be too upset about that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can't stop buying instruments. I think I might have a problem...

A 17 note electric kalimba is my latest purchase (should be arriving by the end of the week). This purchase was inspired by the amazingly inspirational looper BinkBeats, who uses these in his huge looping rigs connected to various effects.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Neat little device. I'm almost entirely a bedroom player these days, and it does a decent job simulating a drummer/bass player. Good enough to help me work on improv at least. It sort of sucks at picking up fast metal tempos by default but that only requires a twist of the tempo knob to fix.

Even when I'm not using the band creator stuff it's super convenient to have a loop pedal that auto detects when you start playing. Since you can store a few 2 minute loops it's also getting some use as an improvised re-amper - really helps me dial in an ideal tone. And now I have an excuse to learn both of the guitar parts for harmonized stuff (Iron Maiden/In Flames mostly).

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I have had one of those for about 9 months. I don’t use it enough to remember how to work it. But it is a neat little unit.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

Neat little device. I'm almost entirely a bedroom player these days, and it does a decent job simulating a drummer/bass player. Good enough to help me work on improv at least. It sort of sucks at picking up fast metal tempos by default but that only requires a twist of the tempo knob to fix.

Even when I'm not using the band creator stuff it's super convenient to have a loop pedal that auto detects when you start playing. Since you can store a few 2 minute loops it's also getting some use as an improvised re-amper - really helps me dial in an ideal tone. And now I have an excuse to learn both of the guitar parts for harmonized stuff (Iron Maiden/In Flames mostly).

Friend of mine has one of those. I asked him about it and when he told me what it was my reaction was something like "hmmm I think I would've spent my money elsewhere" and then 2 hours of rocking out to it later I was like "hmm this is cool and useful."

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I found this in a small college town music shop a few weeks ago. They don't get many Gibsons because the students aren't shopping in that range, so I guess this one sat around and they needed to move it. It's got a pretty great set of features: locking tuners, classic '57 pickups, weight relief, but not the extensive chambering of the new Standards, more of a middle ground weight between the classic solids and the new type. Technical bits aside, it's exactly the burst color I've been wanting since I was a kid. Never been happier with a guitar purchase.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nice!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In my current "I can't stop buying instruments" phase, I ordered a 10 string Lyre harp other day which should be here soon. Just over £30 on Amazon.

And my next purchase, once I sell the Eigenharp Tau is to get a LinnStrument 128:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 20, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Got the body for my project the other day. Two-piece ash with some lovely grain. No scale handy but I'm guessing it's about five or six pounds.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That's got to be the nicest grain for a tele you can get. It even flows the way the strings are oriented. Can't wait to see this develop.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, that grain does look pretty fantastic. Good luck with the project!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fuctifino posted:

In my current "I can't stop buying instruments" phase, I ordered a 10 string Lyre harp other day which should be here soon. Just over £30 on Amazon.

I’ve wanted one of these for a while but I know nothing about finding a good one. You should post your thoughts on it when it arrives!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chip McFuck posted:

Got the body for my project the other day. Two-piece ash with some lovely grain. No scale handy but I'm guessing it's about five or six pounds.

That looks awesome

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Chip McFuck posted:

'dat ash

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That grain is awesome. What kind of finish are you planning to put on it?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve wanted one of these for a while but I know nothing about finding a good one. You should post your thoughts on it when it arrives!

It landed earlier today, and I'm really impressed with the build quality. This is the model that I purchased, and it took about a week to get to me. As the instruments are quite basic (no frets), I'm not sure if there is a huge difference between 'good' and 'bad' ones... It's staying in tune, and produces a nice acoustic tone. I'm going to fix a piezo pickup to it later and add it to the acoustic looping rig.

I'm going to experiment and add a couple of higher gauge strings to the lower end and gently caress around with tunings. I have no idea how they are meant to be tuned. lol

e: Google suggests a diatonic C scale is apparently the standard tuning.

e2: I may end up getting a few of these, and modding them. One of the pegs wasn't manufactured properly, and needs to be removed and replaced with pliers (and just needs a bit of metal filing). I may go a bit further and try a bass string on there and see what happens. But I've been having fun with the remaining 9 strings and pegs that work well. I've moved well away from the C tuning, and the instrument hasn't snapped, and neither has the strings. I have the pickup on there, but I haven't checked the electric sound yet. I'm having too much fun with acoustic only.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 22, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

:derp:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yeah! :dance:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Exciting! What kinda cab are you pairing it up with?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A) loving. Awesmoe.

B) gently caress My Life because if one of those things just fell into my arms all I could do is take it home and gaze at it. I couldn't play it (I've enjoyed playing several over the years, they are very intimidating in lots of ways but mostly in terms of the number of knobs and switches you can gently caress with) because I'm an apartment-dweller and that poo poo ain't flyin' 'round here.

C) Seriously that's a cool amp I wanna come over and play through it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

Exciting! What kinda cab are you pairing it up with?

For a while I have a mediocre open back with a decent Jensen speaker in it but will probably eventually pick up a nice closed back 1x12, probably an Orange since they're basically tanks.

Also going to be dicking around with the DI that goes through headphones because of Mesa wizardry.

It's early on less than ideal but it was a good deal that I didn't want to pass up!

e: Might go with a Mojotone cab, they're pretty good quality from what I understand and then I can choose a really nice Eminence or Celestion from the start

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 24, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fuctifino posted:

good stuff

Nice nice nice! I might have to grab one eventually. At least it shouldn’t distract me from guitar too much like my other purchases have. Assuming I don’t try to work on them and experiment much.

Daaaaaamn

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-24-touch-monitor-p2418ht/apd/210-alcs/monitors-monitor-accessories

I know... screens don't really count as gear do they? But in this case I'm using it for Serato. I don't know if that's a good idea or not, but I was curious and now I'm gonna find out.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New lovely Guitar Day!

Glen Burton Offset, basically a Jazzmaster shape with P90s and a Strat bridge.

Honestly, it sucks pretty hard right now. Switch is intermittent, pots are stiff and have zero range. Body is covered with bits of dried up polishing compound and whatever the cheap case off-gassed. Neck isn't bad, but again is covered with dust and dirt. Included case is basically a thin nylon sack with a zipper. And I HATE the position of the volume knob, even though it doesn't get in the way.

BUT the pickups sound pretty good, and it was only $90 on Amazon, which only lasted for my purchase. 5 minutes later it was $165.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
That's pretty cool for $90! It's hard to find anything that isn't a knock off Strat or generic metal guitar at that price. As long as the neck is good, with a new switch/pots and some elbow grease it'll be a really nice guitar.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

£70 including delivery? I thought these were much more expensive. Order placed.

Its initial use is to be able to play the violin again WITH A BOW for the first time in 13 years, using it a bit like this, but with the newer SWAM 'The Violin' library.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 28, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

:f5: but it's my workday

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

First impressions:

Crunch voice on channel 1 and mk iic+ on channel 2 are both great and were super easy to get really good tones with

I don't have a stereo 1/4in cable so I can't use the eq button on the footswitch but thats alright, ye old V shape works for everything

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

£70 including delivery? I thought these were much more expensive. Order placed.

Its initial use is to be able to play the violin again WITH A BOW for the first time in 13 years, using it a bit like this, but with the newer SWAM 'The Violin' library.

Jesus that's cool.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

got one of the pink boys since adventure was blowing them out on black friday

sounds like a more refined dod 250; i love it

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

got one of the pink boys since adventure was blowing them out on black friday

sounds like a more refined dod 250; i love it

What did you pay for that?

I've been looking for a 250-reissue, but they're out of stock everywhere here in euroland. (And forget paying for a used original)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pondex posted:

I've been looking for a 250-reissue, but they're out of stock everywhere here in euroland. (And forget paying for a used original)

Earthquaker makes the White Light as well as the the Gray Channel, both 250 clones at heart.

Also, the MXR Distortion+ is the same circuit.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Also, the MXR Distortion+ is the same circuit.

That might do the trick, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Pondex posted:

ended up being about 104 us on black friday

as far as 250 clones go the eqd gray channel is great, as is the solidgoldfx zeta and the chicago stompworks gray speck; the dist+ is close enough but does have a different voicing while having a similar character if that makes sense