Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Office Pig posted:

Just like with Moore, any such findings would have absolutely no effect anyway.

I think saying the findings had no effect when Moore lost his drat election is pretty disingenuous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

corn in the bible posted:

I suppose it is possible that republican whats her name from Mississippi will suddenly turn out to be a sex monster but seeing as she's an incumbent and afaik free of major scandal she'll probably win the runoff just fine

She's Thad Cochran's replacement. She's only been in there for a few months. That's not much of an incumbency advantage, which has weakened over time anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deified Data posted:

Thought I spent all my bloodlust on Tuesday folks, even one of these fuckers going down in the senate will send me blasting off tonight

i assume we will know the results tonight?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

More like Fucker Carlson.

I prefer Fucker Charlatan because I don't think he actually believes what he says, which I do not say by way of excusing his white supremacy - doing it for the money is worse in my opinion.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
So there's some highly unlikely but non-zero chance Senate control can come down to a run-off? Imagine the money that would get poured into that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Office Pig posted:

Just like with Moore, any such findings would have absolutely no effect anyway.

Moore lost.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TulliusCicero posted:

This made me laugh. Well done :golfclap:

lol if Trump lost the entire House and multiple governor seats, and all he ended up getting was a net gain of 1 in the Senate.

:lol:

ART
OF
THE
DEAL

It wasn't a joke

https://twitter.com/RobElvington/status/1060327553552965632

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The funny thing is not only is not everything counted in WA, WA has mail in where it just needs to be POSTMARKED on election day. There are probably a few straggling ballots that haven't even been RECIEVED yet.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

corn in the bible posted:

the reason there's a runoff in MS is that the democrat got 40% and two republicans split 60% between them. it is theoretically possible to make up that gap but uh... doesn't see too likely

Yup, I don't see how MS goes blue unless something extremely Roy Moore-level major comes out.

:lol: out loud holy poo poo

I really hope that skeletor looking motherfucker loses the recount, then gets found guilty of lots of crimes for poo poo like this, and then all his skin sloughs off and he's left looking like Red Skull for the rest of his long life in maximum security

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JasonV posted:

So there's some highly unlikely but non-zero chance Senate control can come down to a run-off? Imagine the money that would get poured into that.

wouldnt it be a stalemate? 50=50?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

Yup, I don't see how MS goes blue unless something extremely Roy Moore-level major comes out.

:lol: out loud holy poo poo

I really hope that skeletor looking motherfucker loses the recount, then gets found guilty of lots of crimes for poo poo like this, and then all his skin sloughs off and he's left looking like Red Skull for the rest of his long life in maximum security

Once he's out of the governor's mansion he's going to run like hell into the White House because people still intend to go after him for medicare fraud

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

California still has 4.5 million uncounted votes :ca:

The bear crying is very unrealistic, we don't have any water

"If only Prop 3 had passed!" wailed Duncan Hunter's constituents inconsolably.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Conor Lamb smashed Rothfus 56.1% to 43.9%. He's extremely centrist but in terms of winning elections he could be a god.

That uh, could be a problem in the future.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Majorian posted:

"If only Prop 3 had passed!" wailed Duncan Hunter's constituents inconsolably.

We're not gonna be using captured water to irrigate mountains and poo poo, it would just be destroying rivers so we can sell more almonds and rice to China

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

JasonV posted:

Not this time round but yeah, in theory that could happen, I don't know which other states have a runoff but it's possible.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How big a deal it would be would differ between the two parties and who holds the White House. If getting to 50 means you can get your VP in to break the ties then you want that more than almost anything else in politics; if it 'just' means you can force the other guys to send the VP to the Senate for every tie you still want it a lot (Because if nothing else, anyone who dies or whatever means you've got a shot at taking control) but it's not the same immensely pressing factor.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

We're not gonna be using captured water to irrigate mountains and poo poo, it would just be destroying rivers so we can sell more almonds and rice to China

Yes, I know. I'm just making fun of the part of the state that really wanted that to pass.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Any goons on the ground in Georgia that can give us the status on Abrams?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Sanguinia posted:

It's taking literally every ounce of my self-control not to hope for Florida given that the gap has closed to hand recount and now Scott took a dump on national television. I swear is ANYONE starts talking positively about Mississippi I'm going to slap their poo poo. :argh:

Well, you know, it does have a large Af-AM minority population and lower turnout run offs mean voter enthusiasm can sway things....

More seriously though, Mississippi is a fun case because it isn't getting more Republican. The Republican party already dominated Mississippi white votes so the shift that turned Tennessee, Kentucky and up into the midwest much redder happened much earlier in Mississippi, so Trump received fewer votes in Mississippi than Romney did.

He did slightly better in percentage terms, as Clinton did worse than Obama, but the highest Republican vote total for a president in Mississippi actually belongs to John McCain.

I'm not saying Mississippi will flip, its got a long sordid history of racist leadership on top of the economic issues, but its closer to being contestable than a lot of the whiter states in the south.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It would, but it would not be seen as anything short of a catastrophic defeat for the R's to go from +3 to -1. Even the big news networks wouldn't be able to help themselves from trumpeting Trump's humiliation considering 1) he declared what a giant victory he'd won in the midterms with his senate gains and 2) the loss would come from loving MISSISSIPPI.

But that won't happen sadly. No chance in hell MS will flip. I would take a miracle beyond a miracle, like every chud staying home in protest of their Crazy Candidate getting screwed by the RINO incumbent or something.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

JasonV posted:

Not unless 2 Republican senators resign in a state that'd put those seats up for a special election. Best hope is 51-49, with 53-47 looking most likely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ague Proof posted:

Conor Lamb smashed Rothfus 56.1% to 43.9%. He's extremely centrist but in terms of winning elections he could be a god.

That uh, could be a problem in the future.

Wasn't a big part of that the fact PA got radically de-gerrymandered?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Ms Adequate posted:

Wasn't a big part of that the fact PA got radically de-gerrymandered?

It went from being gerrymandered by the GOP to basically being independently redistricted, yes. That played a big role in every result from it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Squall posted:

Not unless 2 Republican senators resign in a state that'd put those seats up for a special election. Best hope is 51-49, with 53-47 looking most likely.

Though, can you even imagine the pandaemonium that would ensure if a single state held two simultaneous special elections to appoint people to a 49-49 Senate? :allears:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Squall posted:

I mean, if we're fanficcing MS sending a Democrat to the Senate, why not cap it off with Murkowski changing parties like Gov. Fuckface did in WV and handing us the majority? That'd be a season finale people would talk about for the next 50 years.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wait, how can the Senate become 50:50 (even with the miracle of getting MS)? Don't the Reps already have 51 seats locked?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

It would, but it would not be seen as anything short of a catastrophic defeat for the R's to go from +3 to -1. Even the big news networks wouldn't be able to help themselves from trumpeting Trump's humiliation considering 1) he declared what a giant victory he'd won in the midterms with his senate gains and 2) the loss would come from loving MISSISSIPPI.

But that won't happen sadly. No chance in hell MS will flip. I would take a miracle beyond a miracle, like every chud staying home in protest of their Crazy Candidate getting screwed by the RINO incumbent or something.

Hell even going to +1 will be seen as complete garbage.

Donald J. "I beat Donnelly and all I got was one lousy Senate Seat" Trump

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

gandlethorpe posted:

Wait, how can the Senate become 50:50 (even with the miracle of getting MS)? Don't the Reps already have 51 seats locked?

It can't. The unlikely scenario is Florida flipping which would put control at 51-48, pending a special election in Mississippi that is almost guaranteed to go R.

Still matters, though. A smaller majority makes it harder to pass bills and makes 2020 easier for Democrats.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Yes. The best possible outcome is the status quo, 47D-51R-2I

FL and AZ are still being counted. MS is going to a runoff.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Yes, even Murkowski flipping would only get us to 50-50, assuming we take Ms and win AZ/FL

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lotta people can't count itt

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

It can't. The unlikely scenario is Florida flipping which would put control at 51-48, pending a special election in Mississippi that is almost guaranteed to go R.

honestly with a 15k lead florida flipping is probably loads more likely than a democrat winning in mississippi, even if the latter is theoretically possible

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1060676628097961986

:pray:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Won't the AG just stop that? You know, like he promised to do?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Nah.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Any actual journos boosting this?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

50-50 goes to the Republicans.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Even if this literally happens, I wouldn't believe Cooper knew about it before hand and wasn't just making poo poo up.

In real news:

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1060719044876267520

Closing in on the highest midterm turnout in 104 years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i mean awsome it it happens, but who is jon cooper?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

gandlethorpe posted:

I thought that 51 was still counting FL as won because every news source called it on election night and the recount thing is only a product of the last 36 hours, but you're right. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I want to believe, so so bad...