Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

sitchensis posted:

Jean is kind of an "eat-the-rich" type.

Good, we need more of them and less of toadies like Kennedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A wholly progressive vs centre right NPA voting pattern on Vancouver's council would necessarily include Swanson voting along with the progressive side, so this suggests that Kennedy is already abandoning this idea as unworkable.

I've heard some fears that Swanson would end up being too ideologically rigid for council and would end up being a lone protester against everything, and this suggests that that may end up being the case.

On the other hand, it was a nice surprise to see the OneCity councillor giving some support on twitter to Jean's planned first motion in council.

https://twitter.com/christineeboyle/status/1058024166685843456

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

A wholly progressive vs centre right NPA voting pattern on Vancouver's council would necessarily include Swanson voting along with the progressive side, so this suggests that Kennedy is already abandoning this idea as unworkable.

I've heard some fears that Swanson would end up being too ideologically rigid for council and would end up being a lone protester against everything, and this suggests that that may end up being the case.

On the other hand, it was a nice surprise to see the OneCity councillor giving some support on twitter to Jean's planned first motion in council.

https://twitter.com/christineeboyle/status/1058024166685843456

I mean, that's a pretty good motion actually. Something like half of all households in Vancouver (City of) are renters, and they are getting screwed right now.

For examples of what she's talking about re: investors buying up buildings and converting them to luxury suites as a way to force out tenants and jack up rents, Berkeley Tower is a good example.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/the-berkeley-tower-renovations-evictions-1770-davie-street-vancouver

quote:

However, Reliance believes its compensation package to residents is more than fair. It is offering each unit $10,000 on average for their eviction, which is double the provincial governments subscribed regulations that would allocate about $5,000 per unit, with compensation based on length of tenancy and unit size.

Haha yes, $10K is going to cover what, one year's worth of the difference in rent they'll be paying? Never mind moving costs.

Here's the property sales company hamming up all the $$$ if you can just get rid of those pesky low-rent tenants:
http://www.jllmultifamilybc.com/property/berkeley-tower/

And the Vancouver Tenants Union's take:

https://www.vancouvertenantsunion.ca/berkeleytower_rally

quote:

New owner Reliance Properties intends to evict all current residents of Berkeley Tower to turn the 56 currently-affordable units into high end luxury units. Reliance Properties president is Jon Stovell, who is also Chair of the Urban Development Institute - a powerful and influential lobby group for the real estate development industry.

:thunk:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

In retrospect she didnt want to do all this other stuff is an explanation we should have caught onto earlier...

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1058417669269946368?s=21

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rime posted:

The problem enters when you are renting from Asian absentee landlords who are waiting to flip the wreck for land value. My poor (literally) mothers basement and roof are both flooding, and the squinty eyed motherfuckers are just trying to force her to move by refusing to fix anything.

It's hard to know the foundation is shot when you're renting the upstairs and they put on the facade of being super caring landlords looking for long term tenants. :argh:

Vvv: that's the best poo poo you've posted in months CI.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao, come to London. It's not 'Asian squinty eyed motherfuckers,' but the principle of landfarming people is universal.

Actually, holy poo poo it's even funnier that you've literally chosen to be a van hobo out of racist spite. Wow.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Theophany posted:

lmao, come to London. It's not 'Asian squinty eyed motherfuckers,' but the principle of landfarming people is universal.

Actually, holy poo poo it's even funnier that you've literally chosen to be a van hobo out of racist spite. Wow.

The quoted post is 3 years old.

fake e: FREE CI

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 2, 2018

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

:yeah:

i miss content

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The fact that vacancy is sub 1% in Vancouver is reason enough to support further intensification of housing in the City of Vancouver, but that's apparently not enough rhetorical ammo for the Abundant Housing Vancouver set, so they gotta make up a bunch of stuff to juice their arguments even more.

quote:

Scott de Lange Boom: If we want to save the environment, we need to rethink how we build Vancouver

The climate news is grim. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Changes latest report is clear: humanity has to reduce global emissions, and quickly, if we are to avoid a catastrophe. Vancouver likes to think of itself as an environmentally progressive city, but we fall short of taking the action we need to. Vancouver needs to move beyond straw bans and change how Vancouver is built.

Every year the region emits 14.7 million tonnes of CO2e greenhouse gases, including 2.6 million tonnes in the City of Vancouver. Vancouver needs to focus its attention on the two main sources, buildings and transportation.

Metro Vancouver is projected to grow by a million people over the next two decades. How and where those people settle will be the decisive factor in whether we meet our affordability and climate goals. If we continue the pattern that sees significant growth pushed to the car-dependent suburbs, the result will be increasing congestion and carbon emissions.

When we don't build homes here in the city, the people don't disappear, they merely get displaced to the suburbs, increasing congestion and emissions as they are forced to drive longer distances.

Growth should rather be accommodated in the regions core, the City of Vancouver.
By building compact, walkable neighbourhoods, where people can live, work, and play within walking distance, we can reduce car use and therefore emissions.

Hold the gently caress on. Metro Vancouver isn't some champagne tower of cascading population movement where everyone tries to move to Vancouver's West Side but only ends up in Surrey because they can't afford it. People live in throughout the suburbs because there's job growth all throughout the suburbs. This is literally the design of the region, that there is industrial and commercial activity in every town and everyone can live near their work whether they're in Coquitlam or Langley or Vancouver. The notion that growth should be focused in some one "core" goes completely against the decades old design of the region.

Maybe the naive AH set should try to figure out how the existence of a Porsche dealership in Langley fits into their imagined view of how the region works before they make some sweeping judgements of how it should be designed. If the 'burbs are just the poor CoV castoffs then how could there be a luxury car dealer so far from "the core?"

Also the Abundant Housing people seem really mad that the Green Party did well in the election.

quote:

Many may take comfort in the ascendancy of the Green Party of Vancouver, which elected three councillors who have branded themselves as champions of the environment. They will likely be a key swing vote on the divided council.

Unfortunately rhetoric and actions havent always aligned. Returning Green party councillor Adriane Carr has a mixed voting record on housing and neighborhood change. She has often sided with Not In My Back Yard (NIMBY) voices opposed to change. However to prevent a rising sea from swallowing our backyards, we can ill afford to simply defer to the loudest, often unrepresentative, voices at public hearings.

It is hard to appreciate neighbourhood character if you can barely see the other side of the street through wildfire smoke. Character is not the slope of a roof or the number of doors on a building, it is the people in a neighbourhood. If we are to protect the people that give our neighbourhoods character, by ensuring they have clean air and unflooded streets, we are going to have to welcome new and larger buildings in those neighbourhoods.

The hope is that the two new Green councillors, Pete Fry and Michael Wiebe, will help reorient the Greens away from being a party that reflexively opposes change to one that will push for real, meaningful climate action, even if it means upsetting the Coalition of Vancouver Neighbourhoods.

Seems pretty likely to me that Adriane Carr voted against Vision so much because she was in "opposition" and there was no real advantage in voting with them. I think she's a pretty lousy councillor, but given the changed circumstances I don't think her previous record has much to say about how she'd vote in the future.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Increasingly, I'm thinking this whole thing (i.e. the arguing at the city level about local development) is a massive tempest in a teapot. These municipal politicos are not going to have much meaningful effect on anything, at least not at the macro level. I think when we look back, a few things will be identified as catalysts for what is likely to be a sustained downturn in economic activity:

- Rising interest rates in the US that the BoC is forced to follow (thanks Obama, thanks Trump)
- Tighter lending practices on the part of the banks (CIBC has sobered up and stopped catering to foreign capital)
- B20 Rule Change (i.e. stress test)
- Chinese crackdown on capital outflows combined with Chinese, BC and Federal crackdowns on money laundering and global tax evasion.

At a much smaller scale, the speculator taxes and empty home taxes will likely contribute to the situation (I'd hypothesize probably not as much as some have argued), but it looks like at least this government (NDP) and the bank regulators have finally smartened up to the giant gas bag of debt this country is living on and has realized that walking any of these changes back will only make things worse.

Interesting times. I am still planning to leave in the next eighteen months. The community is dead, and I have no interest in raising my kids here anymore. Why bother, when all of our friends who have young families are exhausted and financially a mess? We'll find some place else...it won't be 'the best place on earth' but I'm sure we can find a place that offers a decent quality of life and some semblance of community.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
It seems like the popping has begun here in Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-01/property-values-drop-3.5pc-sharpest-decline/10454166?pfmredir=sm
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-02/falling-house-prices-now-hitting-retail-sales/10460142

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 4, 2018

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Vancouver market seems to be slowing considerably:

https://betterdwelling.com/city/vancouver/vancouver-real-estate-sales-hit-6-year-low-inventory-rises-to-4-year-october-high/

quote:

The price of a typical home across Greater Vancouver is up, but it may not be for long. REBGV reported the composite benchmark reached $1,062,100, down 3% over the past 3 months. Prices are now 1% higher than the same month last year, with prices turning negative in the City of Vancouver. The actual benchmark price is below peak, but not all that far.

Sales of Vancouver real estate continued to slow down. REBGV reported 1,966 home sales in October, a 23.3% increase from the month before. Compared to the same month last year, sales are down 34.9%.

The number of active listings for Greater Vancouver real estate saw a big increase. REBGV reported 12,984 active listings in October, a decrease of 0.8% from the month before. Even with the decrease, active listings are up 42.1% when compared to last year. The board noted that listings are now at a 4 year high.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You know if the benchmark price of "all the sales minus the ones we think don't matter" from the REB is dropping, things are definitely dropping.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Still got Lower Lonsdale one bedroom condo numbers. This spring the lowest sale was $448,000, bid up from $418k asking, and places sold immediately. Now there's a few under $400k, and a nice renovated one took 42 days to sell for $409k. Nothing goes for over asking anymore.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol drat a new low for Vancouver detached housing.

https://twitter.com/Hutchyman/status/1059956606933315584

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

lol drat a new low for Vancouver detached housing.

https://twitter.com/Hutchyman/status/1059956606933315584

drat, down 30% not from the high, but from the July 2017 assessment :stare:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

HookShot posted:

drat, down 30% not from the high, but from the July 2017 assessment :stare:

Still too expensive by 50%. Enough of these shacks selling as though they are luxury homes. Burn it to the ground.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On real estate YIMBYs, as if Hong Kong isn't indictment enough:

https://twitter.com/Goldiein604/status/1060216377493966848?s=19

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also lol:

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/11/08/buyers-need-a-163000-income-to-afford-a-home-in-vancouver-study-shows.html

My household income is a lot higher than that and you better believe I want no part of buying a 1.2m house.

(Quite frankly you can't qualify for a mortgage to buy that on 163k income without a *massive* downpayment - like, around 50% - so I don't know what they're playing at, here. What's the +2% stress test, precious?)

quote:

Outside of Metro Vancouver in the rest of B.C., the report finds there are four markets where homes are still attainable based on actual income: Prince George, Kamloops, Campbell River and Langford.

Good ol' Langford, home of the missing middle.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 8, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Probably 2 x income for you + your partner, and your parents gifting you a 20% down payment.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I read Kamloops as 'Leprosy' for some reason and I thought 'that makes sense, a place called Leprosy is still affordable'.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I read Kamloops as 'Leprosy' for some reason and I thought 'that makes sense, a place called Leprosy is still affordable'.

As you are Aussie, you are probably unfamiliar with the similarities between Kamloops and Leprosy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Literally the only good thing about Kamloops is the cheap gas.

I think it's so people are encouraged to leave.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why are Burnaby and Richmond more expensive than North Van according to that chart? Doesn't seem so according to their own numbers...

edit: Oh wait are they saying North Van is more affordable because North Van residents officially make the most? fuckin lol. Perhaps that has to do with having less of a certain demographic that doesn't declare their income.

Richmond is officially the poorest part of the lower mainland, let's not forget.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 9, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Fuckin' L.O.L. right here. I guess the market hasn't corrected far enough for literal serfdom to be considered gauche again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some fun information to consider when looking at Vancouver house prices.

2080 hours for 47 years between 18 and 65 years old at $15 an hour is only $1,466,400 in lifetime earnings pre-tax.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

James Baud posted:

On real estate YIMBYs, as if Hong Kong isn't indictment enough:

https://twitter.com/Goldiein604/status/1060216377493966848?s=19

Ummm Hong Kongs land situation is actually a government mandated zoning problem.

They government actually stopped building public housing after 1997 and thats why the city is so unaffordable. Whereas Singapore kept on pumping up HDB and kept the real estate developers in check

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

Fuckin' L.O.L. right here. I guess the market hasn't corrected far enough for literal serfdom to be considered gauche again.

I rented a room in grad school for $350 a month. A room for $650 in addition to labour seems like a bad deal. Thats like $1000 per month for a room.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

caberham posted:

Ummm Hong Kong’s land situation is actually a government mandated zoning problem.

They government actually stopped building public housing after 1997 and that’s why the city is so unaffordable. Whereas Singapore kept on pumping up HDB and kept the real estate developers in check

Well, yes. I don't know Hong Kong's housing policy history well but I do know more about Singapore, but I think that's in agreement with what the article says. Building market rate housing doesn't solve anything, no matter how much there is, you need to build significant amounts of the subsidized stuff. So by that definition, broad-based upzoning like the recent but endangered SFH->Duplex thing just makes things worse by increasing land values.

In Vancouver, the new co-op near Marine and Boundary is an interesting experiment. They built a bunch of market rate stuff first and will be using those units to subsidize the rest... But what's the incentive for a bunch of people to move in and pay market there where they'll be saddled with future bills for a ton of lower income subsidized people, instead of opting for market rate housing elsewhere?

(Going rates, 24-2700 for new 2 and 3 bedroom units in a transit and retail desert)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Half of the population of HK lives in government housing where they pay less than 10% of their income on average towards rent. Half the government revenues come from land sales and rents. I hope Vancouver adopts the HK model.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

I rented a room in grad school for $350 a month. A room for $650 in addition to labour seems like a bad deal. Thats like $1000 per month for a room.

I mean maybe its just an hour a day but 3-5x days per week is way more than a grand a month.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Throatwarbler posted:

Half of the population of HK lives in government housing where they pay less than 10% of their income on average towards rent. Half the government revenues come from land sales and rents. I hope Vancouver adopts the HK model.

That housing is literally 2'x6' cubicles, there's no reason for us to adopt that mode of housing here when we have alternatives.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rime posted:

That housing is literally 2'x6' cubicles, there's no reason for us to adopt that mode of housing here when we have alternatives.

So, van sized? :haw:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

ephori posted:

So, van sized? :haw:

I just got off the phone with the burn unit. They have a bed for Rime, but I told them he'd be more comfortable if the ambulance was just parked outside and he could be treated in the parking lot. They said no problem - it's apparently quite a common request among their patients that drive Delicas.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't let him near the Ambulance, he'll try to claim squatters rights and move into it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Supply side twitter seriously cannot stop themselves from reviving the foreign capital debate and raising the spectre of racism.

https://twitter.com/LausterNa/status/1062067322276405254

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 12, 2018

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Supply side twitter seriously cannot stop themselves from reviving the foreign capital debate and raising the spectre of racism.

https://twitter.com/LausterNa/status/1062067322276405254

The conflated logic is astounding. Who are these people? I am increasingly finding social media to be a devolved cesspool with less and less opportunity for thoughtful conversation (though Im probably naive to think it was ever thus).

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The conflated logic is astounding. Who are these people? I am increasingly finding social media to be a devolved cesspool with less and less opportunity for thoughtful conversation (though Im probably naive to think it was ever thus).

It's the supplysiders that are usually the more rational ones, with the demanders having quite a few more anonymous, weird trolls, but I guess this was truly a weird upsidedown weekend.

This guy is a UBC sociology prof!!!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

It's the supplysiders that are usually the more rational ones, with the demanders having quite a few more anonymous, weird trolls, but I guess this was truly a weird upsidedown weekend.

This guy is a UBC sociology prof!!!

Yeah, I saw that. I used to be all about inter-departmental respect as an academic, but honestly, there is so much bullshit that flows from the humanities and research-lite fields (sociology and psychology, I'm looking at you, both of you are replication disaster areas) that when some moron likes this uses his academic expertise to spout off some nonsense, it embarrasses those of us who study real things.

As for the issue at hand, the solutions usually are somewhere in the middle. All-or-nothing absolutism won't get us anywhere, but to say BUILD MOAR without understanding to whom one is selling, and whether or not those people are actually buying to live and work, or as a bolt hole, needs to be established.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
This thread started in 2013, and we still haven't popped the bubble :(

Guess I'll buy a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Tell me about your burritos