Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm suspending the tucker carlson rule from earlier but let me say this

the fact that ya'll melted down for 8 loving pages about tucker loving carlson of all things, a day after an important midterm election and the day sessions resigned is insane
From what I could follow of the discussion as the page counts racked up, it was more about the broader topic of whether one can go too far with direct action (A: No).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
more like fucker failson

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also remember that in a “good” year for the GOP they easily could have picked off 13 democratic seats: IN, FL, MI, MN1, MN2, MO, MT, ND, OH, PA, VA, WI, WV.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Also this post from Trump IV remains true:

if you caught a probe in the past couple hours post more content in the future

i don't particularly care about what the content is, can be quotes from an article with the article linked, a tweet, a picture, a haiku about charlie kirk's diaper extravaganza. as we get closer to the election if ya'll are just dropping single word replies it's gonna clutter up the thread real fast

also i'll be your mod for election day so if there's bad poo poo report it and hopefully i won't be dead to the world, eyes glazed over as with reports from 39 districts desantis wins florida

Stop barging into the thread and cropdusting it with your lack of content posts. this is d&d, if you'd like somewhere where you can just post trump! at random intervals cspam is just next door. It is going to be impossible to read with all 800/900 posters viewing D&D per day (on a slow news day anyways) all postin' single words

(also :rip: that latter part turning out to be true)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also remember that in a “good” year for the GOP they easily could have picked off 13 democratic seats: IN, FL, MI, MN1, MN2, MO, MT, ND, OH, PA, VA, WI, WV.

The GOP killing off the blue dogs while gaining a net gain of +1 seat is even funnier than I imagined.

Lose the House and multiple state governments and net gain a senate seat.

Not a womp womp big enough

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 9, 2018

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Good thing “Tucker Carlson” is two words

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Still no update on RBG :ohdear:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If Hillary Clinton were in office, this would be an absolute massacre for the Dems. Imagine Republicans getting over 60 senate seats, holding the house, getting someone 'likable' like Ben Sasse elected in 2020 and drawing most of the maps so they can gerrymander the next tens years away. Trump may turn out to be one of the worst things to happen to the Republicans in a long time.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They probably could have done this with President Hillary

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

Trump may turn out to be one of the worst things to happen to the Republicans in a long time.

it already is lol

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
This thread perfectly illustrates why it’s futile to debate conservatives, chiefly that their “beliefs” will shift to suit their need to troll you: https://twitter.com/AmandaMarcotte/status/1060511898347692032

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Grape posted:

That still requires being fundamentally stupid!
Even an illiterate dirt farmer can comprehend "boy there are not so many folks here in the country, and lots over in that city."

Not everyone spends all day looking at maps that are basically populationdensity.jpg so it's not always super obvious to everyone just how many more people live in those blue areas.

What is frustrating is how loving common it is to explain this to people and have them still not give a poo poo. I've been involved in conversations like this and watched first hand as "but more of the country is Republican!" turns to understanding turns rapidly to "but that's not fair, why should they have more power just because there are more of them!"

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

it already is lol

I wouldn't go that far yet. He did get them unified control of government, at least 2 SCOTUS picks, a shitload of lower court picks. McConnell had a lot to do with that too, but if they didn't win the Whitehouse in 2016 it's not happening.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Guze posted:

They probably could have done this with President Hillary

Seriously. I've discussed in political groups a number of times how the silver lining (and it is a stretch to find one) of 2016 is that it prevented us from losing 9-15 seats in the Senate in 2018 and keeping it out of reach for the next decade or more. Not to mention the disaster of having a republican "lock up President Clinton" wave in 2018 would have lead to even more state house/governor consolidation ahead of the 2020 census, ushering in 10 more years of gerrymandering hell.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TulliusCicero posted:

The GOP killing off the blue dogs while gaining a net gain of +1 seat is even funnier than I imagined.

Lose the House and multiple state governments and net gain a senate seat.

Not a womp womp big enough
Meanwhile in WV, Joe's digging into the cliffside like he's got Fu Manchu-in fingernails and refusing to fall.

It's sort of nice to be able to laugh at centrists when they fail after chasing the lovely chud vote and smooching trump's fat rear end, but I mean it'd kind of be nicer if they *didn't* lose and the dems actually took the Senate. Or if there was a realistic path forward to winning red states in 2020.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm suspending the tucker carlson rule from earlier but let me say this

the fact that ya'll melted down for 8 loving pages about tucker loving carlson of all things, a day after an important midterm election and the day sessions resigned is insane

Fucker tucking carlson

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They would have tried to impeach Clinton before 2020 and might have succeeded if alt-2018 was bad enough.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ego-bot posted:

If Hillary Clinton were in office, this would be an absolute massacre for the Dems. Imagine Republicans getting over 60 senate seats, holding the house, getting someone 'likable' like Ben Sasse elected in 2020 and drawing most of the maps so they can gerrymander the next tens years away. Trump may turn out to be one of the worst things to happen to the Republicans in a long time.

https://twitter.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/727604522156228608

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ego-bot posted:

This. While we would have not had to deal with the last 2 years of unabashed fascism and flaunting of the law of the GOP, we would have dealt with a united and more powerful GOP, which would have possibly gained an even larger house majority and controlled the Senate for a thousand years of Conservative darkness.

Instead, Trump's insanity pushes the suburbs further into our hands, we make huge gains in the House and across the states, and young people are PISSED at the GOP for the next decade. He has hit his foot on the gas, and the reaction to him is just ramping up.

Graham was prophetic when he said Trump would be the end of the GOP; he just didn't know on what election cycle. Trumpism has destroyed the modern GOP and may even lead to the full rise of the the DSA in the party.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 9, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tibalt posted:

Despite McConnell's bluster, he already knows how bad a 53-47 Senate is compared to even just a 54-46 split for 2020.

could you explain in one or two sentences?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I question the assumption that kids will be liberal. They are Always Online and the main thing about impressionable people who are Always Online is they turn into neonazis

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

I question the assumption that kids will be liberal. They are Always Online and the main thing about impressionable people who are Always Online is they turn into neonazis

Only the incels that live on 4chan and The_Donald. That already excludes half the population and probably 90% of the other half.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tibalt posted:

There's nothing with your logic but I have a fundamental issue with looking to Presidential elections as a guide on which states should Democratic/Republican senators - each state and the contextual map are unique enough that senators like Manchin survive while senators like Bayh fail.
I'm tempted to agree, hence why I put ought and expected in quotes. But in that case it just means the senate provides more opportunity for Democrats and is less of a lost cause. When people say the future of the senate looks bleak for Democrats what other basis is being used besides "there are more red states than blue states"? If Democrats have been overperforming for years then that why would they suddenly be doomed? That said the current partisan political landscape makes it look like Manchins and Testers and Collinses are a dying breed. I don't feel like digging further into the data, but I wonder when was the last time that the Senate hewed that closely to presidential voting.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

this has been my thesis for a while. If we make it to 2020 with the Republic still intact I think we're all going to look back and say Trump winning was the long-term better outcome than those 50k votes going Hillary. People are now very aware of how horrible the GOP is. The mask is off, probably for good.

Of course the best outcome would've been a 400 EV Hillary win that outlawed the GOP but that wasn't ever going to happen.

Pander posted:

Meanwhile in WV, Joe's digging into the cliffside like he's got Fu Manchu-in fingernails and refusing to fall.

It's sort of nice to be able to laugh at centrists when they fail after chasing the lovely chud vote and smooching trump's fat rear end, but I mean it'd kind of be nicer if they *didn't* lose and the dems actually took the Senate. Or if there was a realistic path forward to winning red states in 2020.

the path forward in red states is probably FDR-style economic populism. Don't say a drat word about social issues and talk only about universal healthcare, jobs, wage increases, and (even though I hate this policy) anti-free trade stuff.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 9, 2018

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Rinkles posted:

could you explain in one or two sentences?

The short answer is: there are two easily winnable senate races in 2020, and two more that are doable in a favorable environment. Winning 2 or 3 seats is expected in a "normal" election environment for us. Winning 4 becomes much harder, especially given that we would have to defend Alabama.

The long answer is detailed here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/senate-update-how-this-years-race-sets-up-2020/

The difference between 47-53 and 46-54 is the "needle of doom" for the Senate in 2020 starting at 55% chance of Democratic pickup vs 10% chance of Democratic pickup.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

axeil posted:

this has been my thesis for a while. If we make it to 2020 with the Republic still intact I think we're all going to look back and say Trump winning was the long-term better outcome than those 50k votes going Hillary. People are now very aware of how horrible the GOP is. The mask is off, probably for good.

Of course the best outcome would've been a 400 EV Hillary win that outlawed the GOP but that wasn't ever going to happen.

I think this is an incredibly irresponsible thing to say considering we don't actually know that and the huge amount of human suffering that has already been inflicted. I know I personally have not really had my life impacted in any way since I'm white and rich.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LegendaryFrog posted:

The short answer is: there are two easily winnable senate races in 2020, and two more that are doable in a favorable environment. Winning 2 or 3 seats is expected in a "normal" election environment for us. Winning 4 becomes much harder, especially given that we would have to defend Alabama.

The long answer is detailed here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/senate-update-how-this-years-race-sets-up-2020/

The difference between 47-53 and 46-54 is the "needle of doom" for the Senate in 2020 starting at 55% chance of Democratic pickup vs 10% chance of Democratic pickup.

thanks

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

I think this is an incredibly irresponsible thing to say considering we don't actually know that and the huge amount of human suffering that has already been inflicted. I know I personally have not really had my life impacted in any way since I'm white and rich.

Based on the Obama years, we can be pretty sure that the continuing wipeouts at all levels of government in Obama: Term 3: Less Charisma: More Scandals would have been apocalyptic.

Imagine Hillary losing reelection in 2020 with GOP supermajorities in congress.

gently caress we might have lost enough state governments for the GOP to amend the constitution.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kids aren't using Facebook and Twitter. They don't watch cable news.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1060594251183022080

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Kids aren't using Facebook and Twitter. They don't watch cable news.

yeah they watch twitch and youtube and use instagram

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

yeah they watch twitch and youtube and use instagram

The kids are alright Corny.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Based on the Obama years, we can be pretty sure that the continuing wipeouts at all levels of government in Obama: Term 3: Less Charisma: More Scandals would have been apocalyptic.

Imagine Hillary losing reelection in 2020 with GOP supermajorities in congress.

gently caress we might have lost enough state governments for the GOP to amend the constitution.

On the other hand, the economy's still doing well, ACA wouldn't be damaged as much, there wouldn't be any child camps, and we'd have 8 justices still just deadlocking stuff.

It's a huge aberration how much of a wave there was with how well the economy is doing. That's not normal. I get that congress went towards Republicans under Obama but that's because everybody was still hurting since Republicans sabotaged the recovery. I wouldn't be certain things would be going full tilt the other way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Except that we already have abundant evidence that us Millennials are far more progressive than preceding generations and that, so far, the Gen Zs are making even us look like loving Pinochet. The environment we've all grown up in has fundamentally soured us on right wing economics because the Great Recession annihilated us so hard our kids are hosed too, and on social issues we're about ten minutes out from demanding mandatory transitioning and discovering the Gay Gene so we can give it to everyone. There's plenty of noisy loving nazis and other edgelords out there, and we sure as hell have to take them seriously, but don't mistake them being noisy fuckers with them being numerous.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Ms Adequate posted:

Except that we already have abundant evidence that us Millennials are far more progressive than preceding generations and that, so far, the Gen Zs are making even us look like loving Pinochet. The environment we've all grown up in has fundamentally soured us on right wing economics because the Great Recession annihilated us so hard our kids are hosed too, and on social issues we're about ten minutes out from demanding mandatory transitioning and discovering the Gay Gene so we can give it to everyone. There's plenty of noisy loving nazis and other edgelords out there, and we sure as hell have to take them seriously, but don't mistake them being noisy fuckers with them being numerous.

People have been saying for years that the country will shift blue and stay there permanently. It hasn't happened, it won't happen, and it isn't because of gerrymandering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Demographics are destiny' has always been an excuse for the Democrats to offer nothing to anyone but their donors.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

CelestialScribe posted:

People have been saying for years that the country will shift blue and stay there permanently. It hasn't happened, it won't happen, and it isn't because of gerrymandering.

The last two years have been a daily reminder that racism and cruelty in America is akin to alcoholism. We became so convinced of our own sobriety that we thought we could handle a couple of beers. Now here we are completely off the wagon.

Racism always finds a way to come back.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

CelestialScribe posted:

On a national level, the country already has a permanently blue majority; Dems won 7 of the last 8 popular votes, and we can all agree that 2004 was something of a fluke due to 9/11 incumbency. The problem is that blue majority is concentrated in a small number of states. Our government is absolutely gerrymandered by the Electoral College and the Senate in some pretty fundamental ways.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 9, 2018

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Tibalt posted:

This was an incredibly lovely election for the Republicans, but explaining that, nuh uh, you actually lost because you're suppose to be up +4 in the Senate makes you sound like a loving NERD

Edit: I still say people will realize the importance of this election once the House actually convenes and starts doing Housy things. Despite McConnell's bluster, he already knows how bad a 53-47 Senate is compared to even just a 54-46 split for 2020.

I would actually be perfectly fine with a national narrative which doesn't sell on that this was a solidly incredible blue wave even if it was. If the republicans really double down on the feelgood denial and try to narrative it about how this was a 'mixed bag' and 'both sides kinda won' ... then they'll spend their time pissing around with mockery and going "ah yes, this 'blue wave' of yours, we have dismissed those claims"

It would practically guarantee they learn nearly none of the lessons we don't want them to learn, at least for a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

On the other hand, the economy's still doing well, ACA wouldn't be damaged as much, there wouldn't be any child camps, and we'd have 8 justices still just deadlocking stuff.

It's a huge aberration how much of a wave there was with how well the economy is doing. That's not normal. I get that congress went towards Republicans under Obama but that's because everybody was still hurting since Republicans sabotaged the recovery. I wouldn't be certain things would be going full tilt the other way.

the economy would be doing gently caress all under hillary, just like trump, because they are both neoliberals. hillary would not close the child camps, just like obama, the deporter in chief, did not. things would be just as bad under hillary, but with more decorum. hurray, i guess.