Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduke posted:

Williams writes a great Emma Frost, and it's a really interesting direction (has she just been THE Hellfire leader before? I want to say no?), but what's up with Selene vis a vis the Hellfire Club right now? I know she's been skulking around TNC's Captain America but I've unfortunately missed the last issue or two. Also-- and this is so pedantic-- isn't the end-all be-all leader of the Hellfire Club the Lord Imperial, not the Black King (possibly Sunspot)? I've been so in and out of X-Men titles over the last few years that I'm sure I'm just unaware of what's up with this and that, but wikipedia is only so up to date on these things.

When did we get the Lord Imperial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The concept was introduced in 2001.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I brought the whole thing up because I was curious what other people's ideas were for who else would be on a Frost/Magik team.
Mine is currently
Frost
Magik
Rockslide
Goldballs
Prodigy
Eyeboy

I think the team needs another woman, but I don't want another psychic or Kitty Pryde. Maybe Monet St. Croix? Jubilee?

Edit: Assuming Kitty Pryde is still the head honcho or whatever for x teams it's definitely Jubilee.

M is a psychic (she's everything), and to some degree I don't know you really need to care about roles more than personalities because Emma/Magik are essentially a complete team by themselves. Monet also has an established history with Emma from the original Generation X, though she's obviously pretty different following X-Factor (which is why I wouldn't necessarily go there since the temptation to do something like bring in Layla Miller would be too strong).

To some degree I think team makeup probably would also depend heavily on what they're attempting to accomplish in the first place - Emma/Magik have both been X-Men, but I'm fairly sure a team created/directed by them wouldn't be all about embracing Xavier's original vision (except possibly for "we can obviously do this better than you" spite/antagonist reasons). If they're not teaching they're probably poo poo-stirring/tackling problems on a wide-scale. For a general-purpose team designed to intelligently solve high-level problems maybe something like:

Magik
Emma
Cypher (New Mutants connection to Magik, takes care of digital tech, large-scale data analysis/pattern recognition stuff, and potentially communication)
Blink (or another teleporter to avoid Magikbus-syndrome - she's the least naturally connected of this bunch but she's under-utilized in 616 continuity anyway and is much better for action scenes than most of the alternatives)
Regan Wyngarde (face-turn [?], needs a new code-name, obvious history/antagonism with Emma makes this interesting and Emma is one of the only people on earth who can plausibly supervise her/instruct her)
Elixir (plenty of obvious interaction with the two leaders, is an Omega mutant that fills a major hole in problems that can be addressed)
Hellion (fills bruiser/wide-scale physical impact role, has been underutilized/badly used in recent comics, would be fairly easy Emma recruitment target I think)

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 2, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holy poo poo, everyone needs to go read X-23, now that is how you do a one off issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
X-men red is too good for the world

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, X-Men Red was pretty :black101: for an issue where not much of anything happened. Though it does line up very awkwardly with what's going on in Avengers at the moment.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For a gimmick, they should have shipped this issue of Hulk with a barf bag.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah X-Men: Red is for sure the best X-book we've had in ages. And there's honestly no great secret secret behind it, no profound trick, beyond it just being really good.

(Well, time to cancel it! :buddy:)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Red is pretty good. Just imagine how good it might have been though if it had been about any other villain though? Nova is the worst.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, X-Men Red was pretty :black101: for an issue where not much of anything happened. Though it does line up very awkwardly with what's going on in Avengers at the moment.

It says that it takes place before avengers 700

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Great issue indeed. And wow, once again...

..Magneto was right.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I've been itching for some good X-Men stories what do I need to know/read to get started on Red? I tried Gold and Blue back when they started but bounced off of both pretty hard.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dreqqus posted:

I've been itching for some good X-Men stories what do I need to know/read to get started on Red? I tried Gold and Blue back when they started but bounced off of both pretty hard.
- Jean Grey is finally, for-realsies, properly, permanently back after her death in the final arcs of Morrison's New X-Men. She has rejected the Phoenix Force and is operating with just her baseline psionic powers now.
- Laura Kinney a.k.a. X-23 became the new Wolverine during a period where Logan was dead (he's back now, but he wasn't yet when Red launched). Her "little sister" Gabby Kinney, the only surviving result of another illicit cloning operation using Laura's DNA, now lives with her and fights crime with her as Honey Badger. She has Laura's powers, except with fewer claws and a congenital immunity to pain. Gabby rules.
- Cassandra Nova from New X-Men is back, and if you didn't read that run, her shtick was that she was a sort of genetic nemesis spawned to oppose Charles Xavier in the womb. She's a powerful psychic who is intelligent, ruthless, and instinctively driven to eradicate mutants.

That's about all, really. Everything else is stuff a passing knowledge of Marvel or the X-Men would leave you familiar with. It's pretty good!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Dreqqus posted:

Read All-New Wolverine first, I'd say. If you don't like it, you probably won't like Red anyway. Same writer. Maybe I tend to overemphasize the importance of Laura and Gabby in Red, but they really are just my favorite thing in comics. I'm in the same boat as you re: Gold and Blue. I still get them but I'm way behind and Gold, especially, feels like such a slog to get through compared to Red, X-23, Weapon X, and basically all the other X-Books except Astonishing, which I stopped reading when the new team took over.

How is Astonishing, anyway? I am entirely able to read a Land Art book if the writing's good enough but the book's new cast doesn't really appeal to me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's dry. I think it caters to a totally different target audience to the one I'm in, though. It's very...bro-y? Not in a bad way, just that the comic is mostly about cool guy Alex Summers being a charming fuckup with his team of cool guy pals. And Dazzler, who is mostly there to lampshade the fact that the rest of the team is giving off that vibe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Domino is also v. good. She teams up with her pals Outlaw (from the Gail Simone Agent X series) and Diamondback of Serpent Society fame and does merc things. One issue made Dickie Meyers mad so it's got that going for it too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Being a member of the Serpent Society shouldn't make you famous. Although in their defense they are the less racist of the two biggest snake themed villain organization.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gabby still saluting Cap is amazing.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Thanks guys I'm a few issues into All New Wolverine and enjoying it so far.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Being a member of the Serpent Society shouldn't make you famous. Although in their defense they are the less racist of the two biggest snake themed villain organization.

Well I meant fame among comics readers and not the in-universe populace, but it's the Marvel universe. At least they have several sub-Reddits. Sidewinder's on the ball. The only villainous super-criminal to offer health, dental, vision, a matching 401K and will also teleport you out of jail.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Well I meant fame among comics readers and not the in-universe populace, but it's the Marvel universe. At least they have several sub-Reddits. Sidewinder's on the ball. The only villainous super-criminal to offer health, dental, vision, a matching 401K and will also teleport you out of jail.

Do they upfront you the cost of severe genetic manipulation and/or prosthetics and amputation?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Do they upfront you the cost of severe genetic manipulation and/or prosthetics and amputation?

Honestly everybody who came to the Society already had their gimmick, so it's more like Sidewinder hit upon an untapped market. The untapped market being the unionization of snake-themed supervillains.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly everybody who came to the Society already had their gimmick, so it's more like Sidewinder hit upon an untapped market. The untapped market being the unionization of snake-themed supervillains.

poo poo, because I was looking for a career change.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has Marvel said anything about an All New Wolverine omnibus because Laura and Gabby deserve a big rear end hardcover.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jean should be the leader of the X-men from here on, when you think about it, she is the inheritor of Xavier's legacy more than Scott ever was.

Also totally let her have other Boyfriends. Or girlfriends.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, Scott was always placed as the one to carry on. First X-Man, only one of the originals to stay, Xavier saw him as his son.

But Jean is a good choice to be their leader for a while.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You’re just saying that because she has the same power set he does.

That’s so powerist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea but Scott's a jerk...wait that makes him more of a heir of Xavier than anyone.

Seriously though, making Jean the defacto head of Mutants gives her agency that she's never really had. At least she won't just be pawn of space firebirb or Scott's girlfriend.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Cyclops...........

..was right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Excuse me you're forgetting someone who both shares Xavier's powerset, and is an experienced teacher and headmaster.

#TeamEmma

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, considering she just conned the X-Men into helping her hostilely take over the Hellfire Club, I don't think she'll be leading them any time soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Well, considering she just conned the X-Men into helping her hostilely take over the Hellfire Club, I don't think she'll be leading them any time soon.

Conned the X-Men into a mission they didn't expect, huh?

That's a total Xavier move.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only if she erased their memories at the end of the mission. Along with all memories of the team mate that just died.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Only if she erased their memories at the end of the mission. Along with all memories of the team mate that just died.

Wait 'til you find out there was an entire X-team that took out a branch she erased from their minds. Wolfsbane? Who's Wolfsbane!?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I liked Storm as the leader. She's charismatic, compationatte, used to be a queen, and when she was depowered she took out "tactical genius" Scott Summers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

They also knew not to invite viper as once she got involved she went back to global domination.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Storm is a super badass who is beloved by most of the old guard X-Men and has strong, healthy relationships with all of them. The thing is that when anyone who isn't Chris Claremont circa 1980 writes her, they tend to make her super dry, stoic, and peripheral to the action.

Ororo is one of my favourite characters, but the years have not been kind to her. Every time she's gotten a solo series, it's been either incredibly dull with no grip on the inner drama of the character (most of them) or pretty good but all wrapped up in prepping her to be married to Black Panther (the flashback series from the 2000s that retconned her backstory so they knew each other as children).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

Yea but Scott's a jerk

Scott's a child soldier who grew up, basically. Instead of learning how to play nice with the other kids he was learning guerilla warfare. Of course he's a jerk.

Also, he was right.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Here are things people should remember about Ororo from the Claremont run, but never seem to:

- As mentioned, she beat Cyclops in single combat while depowered, with Cyclops allowed the use of his powers. She also duelled Callisto in a knife fight to the death, without the use of her powers, and came out on top. She used to be consistently written as one of the best martial artists on the team, with even Wolverine commenting that if it wasn't for his claws, he'd probably have trouble fighting her one-on-one.

- She's a super nurturing mother figure for the team's younger members, and was pivotal in the emotional development of both Kitty and Rogue. In the modern era, she tends to be written as somewhat distant and stoic, and I can get that writers are reluctant to write female superheroes as too nurturing for fear of falling into sexist cliche, but Ororo's strength was that she was a character with multiple facets, and one of them was being a pillar of emotional support for her team. The modern X-Men could probably use someone like that - they're perennially staffed with cool loners, complicated anti-heroes, and troubled teens.

- She has exorbitant amounts of romantic tension with Forge and Callisto, and it's all extremely melodramatic and half the time she's battling them to the death and the other half she's making eyes at them. I'm not saying necessarily bring back this dynamic with these specific characters, but it's a good reminder that Storm's veneer of calm stoicism was frequently undercut by big, explosive drama, a lot of which was romantic in nature. In other words, she has a beating heart! Personal struggles &c, rather than being the very emotionally detached figure she's frequently written as today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

- As mentioned, she beat Cyclops in single combat while depowered, with Cyclops allowed the use of his powers. She also duelled Callisto in a knife fight to the death, without the use of her powers, and came out on top. She used to be consistently written as one of the best martial artists on the team, with even Wolverine commenting that if it wasn't for his claws, he'd probably have trouble fighting her one-on-one.

See that's just dumb though. That's Batman stuff.