Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

lol but seriously I posted:

A hot dog can only be a sandwich if both buns are fully separated and that would let all the ketchup leak out.

So gyros and any kind of pita sandwich are disqualified?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So gyros and any kind of pita sandwich are disqualified?

Open face sandwiches are just pizza, gyros, hotdogs, and pitas are just taco alternatives, this conversation has been solved

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Whalley posted:

Open face sandwiches are just pizza, gyros, hotdogs, and pitas are just taco alternatives, this conversation has been solved

Then what’s a calzone?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Then what’s a calzone?
A dumpling

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Let's go the chart for this.

All foods are just starstuff if you really stop to think about it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Computer, make me every food mentioned in this article
https://www.sbnation.com/2014/10/9/6926615/breaking-madden-beeftank-returns

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No, because it will ask you to elaborate on what kind of sandwich.

As I recall, Tom Paris couldn't even order "tomato soup" without the computer asking him for more details.

:v: "Computer, make a sandwich"
:awesomelon: "Please specify."
:v: "A rectangular ham sandwich."
:awesomelon: (ham sandwich materializes)
:v: "Computer, make the sandwich be on rye, and tilt the bread 30 degrees."
:awesomelon: (a completely different and scary-looking industrial BDSM sandwich materializes)
:v: "Perfection."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Was just rewatching the Emissary and the first 10 minutes didn't make any sense to me..

Who at StarFleet thought that putting Sisko on a ship commanded by the guy who literally murdered his wife was a good idea?

"Eh nobody else at StarFleet wants to take this poo poo assignment, so let him get a lift with his wife's killer"

If I were Sisko, I would have spent the entire journey hogging the holodeck casually killing holoclones of Jean-Luc.

Sisko could also have just hosed off to Bajor without even talking to Picard. I don't get why he even bothered to talk to him, other than to get a good look at a fellow StarFleet officer whom he'd like to throttle within an inch of his life.

Also LOL at Picard thinking at the end "Well I'm never going to hear the end of that episode, am I?"

Keep thinking there's a group of StarFleet officers who started a "Survivors of Wolf 359" club and Picard's portrait is hanging in the main hallway covered in darts and rotten fruit.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 9, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Computer, make me every food mentioned in this article
Redwall novel

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lol but seriously I posted:

A hot dog can only be a sandwich if both buns are fully separated and that would let all the ketchup leak out.

lmao at ketchup on a hot dog, what are you, 8?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Binary Badger posted:

Keep thinking there's a group of StarFleet officers who started a "Survivors of Wolf 359" club and Picard's portrait is hanging in the main hallway covered in darts and rotten fruit.

Since it's constantly happening, I'm sure Starfleet has trainings on re-adjusting to your co-workers after they've been possessed, assimilated, forced to re-enact a political coup from long ago, transformed into a giant spider, etc.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

lmao at ketchup on a hot dog, what are you, 8?

Yeah, that's for well done steaks, right?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

After The War posted:

Since it's constantly happening, I'm sure Starfleet has trainings on re-adjusting to your co-workers after they've been possessed, assimilated, forced to re-enact a political coup from long ago, transformed into a giant spider, etc.

One day you’re the victim of a crewman being mind-controlled by an immortal alien posing as an Aztec death god, the next day you’re the one being mind-controlled by an immortal alien posing as an Aztec death god. It all equals out in the end.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

:hmmyes:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phylodox posted:

One day you’re the victim of a crewman being mind-controlled by an immortal alien posing as an Aztec death god, the next day you’re the one being mind-controlled by an immortal alien posing as an Aztec death god. It all equals out in the end.

Hey guys, I'm Lt. Ferdinand from Medical. This week's 5-minute safety talk is about donning alien artefacts and attempting to kill your coworkers, Trevor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

If I were Sisko, I would have spent the entire journey hogging the holodeck casually killing holoclones of Jean-Luc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdRput-yVCk

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You are, outrageous.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Powered Descent posted:

:v: "Computer, make the sandwich be on rye, and tilt the bread 30 degrees."
:awesomelon: (a completely different and scary-looking industrial BDSM sandwich materializes)

...I've been in this bistro before.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I thought it was pretty cool watching Sisko meet the Prophets for the first time, because of how the timeline works. They clearly don't know who he is, but after that first meeting, it's implied they ensured he was born in the past so they could meet him in the present.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phylodox posted:

"Jeff, you've been late for your watch all week, what's going on?"
"There's been, uh, an alien brain slug that, in, keeps forcing me to hit the snooze every morning, but I'm pretty sure it is gone now."
"Whatever."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Look, I still say if Starfleet kicked out every person who got mind-controlled or otherwise hosed around with by mysterious aliens, they'd be struggling to crew half the fleet within a year. :colbert:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The latest Short Trek might just be one of the strangest pieces of canon Star Trek ever. I can assure you it isn't what you think of when you think of Discovery. I'm amazed it got made and that's not me saying it's good or bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I finished my DS9 rewatch today and two tears were shed by the end, as everybody said goodbye. It was saccharine as gently caress, but they earned it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

No, because it will ask you to elaborate on what kind of sandwich.

As I recall, Tom Paris couldn't even order "tomato soup" without the computer asking him for more details.

Being able to verbally add "default setting" or "random variety" would fix this. In fact, if it works like social media, there'd also be "most popular variety within the past week/month/year/of all time" options and some interface where you could upvote and submit new replicator recipes for some variety. You'd put a dish into the replicator, tell the computer "submit new submarine sandwich recipe", and the computer would automatically filter out submissions that don't meet the base criteria for the variety of food. Somewhere there'd be a chef determined to get the title of best new original recipe of the year.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 9, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

From a few pages back, but mostly I'm posting it so I can link to it in future.

Some of you guys are way off base when it comes to jobs.

You have 2 choices:
1) sit in your bedroom and stare at the walls
2) get a busboy job one or 2 nights a week at the most happening creole joint in town, with live music and happy customers where tips don't matter

If none of your friends did something like gently caress off to Spain to work a bar, sleep with hot Spanish women, drink good wine, live in the same district as Picasso did and pluck at a guitar before an open balcony in the Old Town lazily whiling away a hot summer evening with your senorita painting oils on canvas at an easel in the nude - then man, what kind of friends did you have? Sure they aren't saving for a deposit on a house, they aren't advancing their career, but they're happier than you ever were you uptight anal gently caress. Admit it, you envy them.

gently caress yeah I'd take a job at sisko's restaurant a night or 2 a week while I figured out what to do with myself in my 20s

It's a tautology anyway: any job we see existing exists purely because someone wants to do it. Elderly people who volunteer at soup kitchens or are tea ladies at swanky offices can attest- they could collect pension at home or go interact with people even though they don't have to. Not everyone's a basement-dwelling neckbeard.

So while yeah, we see concierges/receptionists/whatever in Trek, that's a job someone wants to do. But when it comes time to scrub plasma injectors on a garbage scow, you employ the EMH Beta Version 2 or whatever, because nobody wants to do it.

So if the job exists, it's because someone wants it to, not because it has to. That's the friggin point of the Federation. Do what you want to, not what you need to, because your needs are taken care of.

If you really want to talk socioeconomics then look at the FIRE movement. The "retire early" part of that causes so much controversy because these people who are financially independent still do poo poo with their days - and many critics say that's "not really retirement". Well gently caress, if retirement is sitting around waiting to die, I don't want it.

That's about as far as I can imagine from a proto-Soviet hellscape.

E: an aside, I'm fittingly posting this from outside the Starfleet Communications Headquarters, aka the Bank of China Building in Hong Kong

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

J33uk posted:

The latest Short Trek might just be one of the strangest pieces of canon Star Trek ever. I can assure you it isn't what you think of when you think of Discovery. I'm amazed it got made and that's not me saying it's good or bad.

It'd be really nice if there was a way to watch them outside the US...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had a bunch of people over to my place the other night. I cooked them food, served it to them, made sure everyone's drinks were full, and did all the cleaning. I like to do this often. Not every day, or even every week, but often enough. I did this without a capitalist threatening me with starvation or homelessness. I imagine in the federation people also do things they have a passion for, including running a restaurant while some other people work a few hours once a week or when they feel like it just for the experience.

Also without economic class at work there's nothing wrong with being a server at a restaurant, people would admire your serving skills and you would become a cool popular person in your community. I imagine social reputation and standing is quite a currency in a post-scarcity gay utopia.
This guy loving gets it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Also, there are things like the old books in Picard's ready room. Do only pre-scarcity generational wealth people own poo poo like that?

This was answered before you posted

The Bloop posted:

In addition to land being scarce, so are many other things.

As indicated by Picard himself in First Contact, there is something important to humans about having "real" original things (touching the Phoenix before launch)

Sure, you could replicate a perfect copy of a Shakespeare first edition or a bottle of Chateau Picard 2249, but irrational as it may be, people want a real one.

Kivas Fajo didn't want a fake yet perceptually identical Mona Lisa, which would be trivially easy to obtain. He committed crimes to get the real one.

There is no post-scarcity solution for this, so some sort of reward system for doing necessary but distasteful work seems like a good compromise. Capitalism itself isn't even bad as long as the reasonable needs of the people are met first. No one in Trek is doing anything undignified or backbreaking just to survive.

Nerds gonna nerd even in the Utopian Federation. But just because one person cares, doesn't mean the general public do. For them, a Mona Lisa postcard or Van Gogh reprint to hang on the wall is enough.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

simplefish posted:

This guy loving gets it
No poo poo.

Also the replicator recipe idea is a great idea. I think that's authentically something that they couldn't be expected to think of in advance - the idea was that the replicator recipes meant you could have fifty times the variety with a tenth of the storage space, so who cares if you're eating transporter-alchemized biomass?

The idea of leaderboards...

Of course if replicator recipes are truly enormous there might need to be curation.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nessus posted:

Of course if replicator recipes are truly enormous there might need to be curation.

The replicator will work exactly like the Steam workshop.

I've spent so long replicating side dishes to my main course that it's gone cold.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

galenanorth posted:

Being able to verbally add "default setting" or "random variety" would fix this. In fact, if it works like social media, there'd also be "most popular variety within the past week/month/year/of all time" options and some interface where you could upvote and submit new replicator recipes for some variety. You'd put a dish into the replicator, tell the computer "submit new submarine sandwich recipe", and the computer would automatically filter out submissions that don't meet the base criteria for the variety of food. Somewhere there'd be a chef determined to get the title of best new original recipe of the year.

He'd only just come on board, his preference profile hadn't replicated to the local networks yet. Normally when you catch a transport destinations ahead of you will update in advance from the travel manifest but he came by Starfleet shuttle on a prisoner transfer so the system was caught off-guard and only requested it from the Federation datanet after his first use. :techno:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

simplefish posted:

Nerds gonna nerd even in the Utopian Federation. But just because one person cares, doesn't mean the general public do. For them, a Mona Lisa postcard or Van Gogh reprint to hang on the wall is enough.

"Look at any photograph or work of art. If you could duplicate exactly the first tiny dot of color, and then the next and the next, you would end with a perfect copy of the whole, indistinguishable from the original in every way, including the so-called "moral value" of the art itself. Nothing can transcend its smallest elements."

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

"Look at any photograph or work of art. If you could duplicate exactly the first tiny dot of color, and then the next and the next, you would end with a perfect copy of the whole, indistinguishable from the original in every way, including the so-called "moral value" of the art itself. Nothing can transcend its smallest elements."

...except a Certificate of Authenticity. :smug:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phylodox posted:

"Captain's log, stardate 6063.5. First officer Spock in temporary command. The Enterprise is a captive of an alien lifeform calling itself Kukulkan. Captain Kirk and three other officers have vanished. They were most likely transported by Kukulkan to his ship."

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

That's bullshit, the value of art includes the amount of time spent creating it and thinking about it and planning it, you can't just devalue the work of artists like that.

Instead, you should go into the holodeck and say "Computer, create a painter who will work on and eventually paint a work of art that will make me cry"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whalley posted:

That's bullshit, the value of art includes the amount of time spent creating it and thinking about it and planning it, you can't just devalue the work of artists like that.

Instead, you should go into the holodeck and say "Computer, create a painter who will work on and eventually paint a work of art that will make me cry"

It's meant to be bullshit, it's a quote from the leader of the hypercapitalist/materialist faction in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. (Which isn't to say the game is bullshit, it's amazing and in large part because quotes like those do such a good job of characterizing the faction leaders and what they stand for.)

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Only if you happen to have ketchup in the garbage so when you throw that ruined steak away it gets on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

J33uk posted:

This one is by Michael Chabon, who is heading up the Picard show.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Whalley posted:

See, I get the whole thing about "Computer, create an X capable of Y" and people's reactions to it.

But really, it's not that big a deal.

What did Moriaty actually get? Self awareness. Or, well, not that exactly, but the capacity to understand that he was a computer construct.

That was the difference between him before modification and Data: knowing the boundaries of the simulation. All the computer did was allow him to react to the Arch, unlike other characters.

It wasn't a guaranteed win (he lost, after all). But it was a matter of capability, not a matter of certainty as so many of these type of posts construe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Angry Salami posted:

It'd be really nice if there was a way to watch them outside the US...

Space is airing them the same night they release on All Access if you’re in Canada.