Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol, what? So last county in doesn't get counted? Is this the new rule? Last county finished counting in any election doesn't count? That's... a take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Z. Autobahn posted:

Also the huge nationwide emboldening of Nazis would not have happened, which is kind of a big deal. Trumpism would've been rebuked as a losing strategy, and a sizable wing of the Republican Party would be pushing center rather than right.

We can argue how out in the open they would be but The Nazis have been a growing problem for awhile. After Obama was elected White Supremacist recruitment exploded and if I remember didn't drop at all the entire time he was in office. A female Democrat is almost as bad as a Black Man because Nazis only respect women that know their place. Bush and his admin purposefully gave the OK to leave them relatively unmolested. I'm not saying they would be having rallies in the streets but we'd still have these insurgents shooting people, making threats, and probably mailing bombs, driving recruitment on 4chan and Reddit, attempts to undermine and infiltrate institutions.

If anything, more people are aware of Neo Nazi dog whistles, how Nazis operate, who the key people in the movements are. All of which have been out there for awhile but hadn't even cared to learn about before.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Obama’s immigration policy was horrific. It’s even worse under Trump but it’s not like people should be pining for a return to the Obama days. The lovely thing about the #Resistance is that it was nowhere to be found when Obama’s DHS was ramping up deportations to record levels, keeping undocumented immigrants in detention centers indefinitely, and systematically beating and sexually abusing their captives. Hopefully it decides to stick around the next time a Dem is in office.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/ice-and-border-patrol-abuses/border-patrol-was-monstrous-under-obama-imagine

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

lol, what? So last county in doesn't get counted? Is this the new rule? Last county finished counting in any election doesn't count? That's... a take.

Republicans don't have any principles. The Republican is ahead, therefore no additional votes should be counted.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
luv 2 get droned by my president

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Yeah a 3rd term continuation of the Obama presidency would be ~slightly ~ better but he still was a war criminal who destroyed the Middle East , and Hillary would be a continuation of that . It will take somebody like AOC who actually gives a poo poo to see any change, not neoliberalism .

You...you do know that an actual president needs to know things right?

AOC is woefully ignorant on a lot of important issues.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

theflyingorc posted:

Do you not understand that this was temporary due to a larger surge of unaccompanied minors, not deliberate cruelty

You can go explain to a 3 year old they're locked in cage due to a large surge in United States prisoners and not deliberate cruelty.

Much like I'm sure all those dead people at a droned wedding party will be happy to know they're in pieces because it was accidental collateral damage and not deliberate cruelty.

I'll let you give all of them the good news.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kavros posted:

so many extraordinarily direct and formerly incomprehensible acts of mindbending executive cruelty and corruption have taken place in the last two years alone that I cannot believe you can subscribe to this notion, unless I am completely misunderstanding what you are saying here.

I'll bet Hillary would have mocked all our allies, kicked off pointless trade wars that gently caress ourselves and would make a speech so dumb the UN had to struggle to hold back the laughter. All while answering the question "Do you condemn Nazis" with "very fine people on both sides"

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

CelestialScribe posted:

This is demonstrably false. As proof, I offer up every Republican president for the last 30 years.

You're right that AOC is significantly less knowledgeable on multiple issues than other, more experienced, congresspersons. However, I think she has a decent philosophy and if she surrounds herself with competent advisors she can make reasonable choices which actually help people, rather than enriching the rich and terrorizing anyone darker than a sheet of paper.

I'll take her ignorance combined with a decent philosophy over experience coupled with either callousness or corruption any day.

Besides, she isn't eligible to be president and won't be in 2020, so the point is moot. By the time she might choose to run, she will have years of experience.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

You can go explain to a 3 year old they're locked in cage due to a large surge in United States prisoners and not deliberate cruelty.
The cages are the least problematic part of Trump's policy. The ripping away from parents is dozens of times more damaging then poor facilities.

Again, they sucked, and more should have been done to improve things, but they're extremely loving different problems

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

Much like I'm sure all those dead people at a droned wedding party will be happy to know they're in pieces because it was accidental collateral damage and not deliberate cruelty.

I'll let you give all of them the good news.

Who are you arguing against? Nobody here argued that what happened under Obama was good, people were debunking the lie that Obama had an intentional child separation program like Trump has instituted.

Someone saying Trump is demonstrably worse than Obama doesn't mean that they're saying everything Obama did was good or fine.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CelestialScribe posted:

AOC is woefully ignorant on a lot of important issues.

"Knowing things" is demonstrably not a requirement to be President in tyool 2018 and AOC is at least as competent as about half the people that have held the office in the last 100 years and she's never been elected to anything before. But good job going immediately down the "lol the woman of color is just so dumb" route my dude.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The cage is the actual new thing, Obama ripped children away from families because that way he was allowed to keep their families in cages for long enough to keep them from getting immigration lawyers.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

mcmagic posted:

LOL Sinema is gonna win.
mods please ban this guy if she doesn't

Ban him if she wins too.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

The fact that they're being effectively housed in a juvenile detention facility with fences rather than a welcoming and happier place is still damning against our country.

That said, laying the blame at Obama's feet is ahistorical, the current system of dealing with immigrants and refugees so cruelly dates back to at least the Clinton Administration, if not further back to the '60s.

yes, every recent president has made our immigration laws worse. clinton allowed immigrants to be deported for minor offenses, dubya created ice and the modern deportation machinery while scaling up deportations, under obama subcontracting detainees out to private companies (and scaling up deportations), while trump adopted splitting up families and once again scaled up deportations. you shouldn't blame just trump, or just obama for this horror; it has been a deliberate policy of the us since as far back as the chinese exclusion act.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

The cage is the actual new thing, Obama ripped children away from families because that way he was allowed to keep their families in cages for long enough to keep them from getting immigration lawyers.

No, you have this backward. He kept the families detained together, then the courts determined that he couldn't keep kids detained for that long, so then he released the families together, rather than release the kids and detain the parents. https://www.vox.com/2018/6/21/17488458/obama-immigration-policy-family-separation-border

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lemming posted:

Who are you arguing against? Nobody here argued that what happened under Obama was good, people were debunking the lie that Obama had an intentional child separation program like Trump has instituted.

Someone saying Trump is demonstrably worse than Obama doesn't mean that they're saying everything Obama did was good or fine.

No one was arguing that Trump's poo poo is exactly the same as Obama's. You are becoming distracted by imaginary butterflies.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

No one was arguing that Trump's poo poo is exactly the same as Obama's. You are becoming distracted by imaginary butterflies.

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

the economy would be doing gently caress all under hillary, just like trump, because they are both neoliberals. hillary would not close the child camps, just like obama, the deporter in chief, did not. things would be just as bad under hillary, but with more decorum. hurray, i guess.

This was the literal post that started this discussion.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingorc posted:

The cages are the least problematic part of Trump's policy. The ripping away from parents is dozens of times more damaging then poor facilities.

Again, they sucked, and more should have been done to improve things, but they're extremely loving different problems

quote:

In July 2012, two undocumented immigrants in Florida turned themselves in to police, with the expectation that they would be transported to and housed in GEO's Broward Transitional Center, a 720-bed facility in Pompano Beach, Florida, that holds immigration detainees.[36] It is the only privately owned immigration detention center in Florida.[37] The pair intended to report firsthand on the conditions inside the facility, as many accounts in the immigrant community reported substandard conditions.[38] The pair reported "substandard or callous medical care, including a woman taken for ovarian surgery and returned the same day, still bleeding, to her cell, and a man who urinated blood for days but was not taken to see a doctor."

In March 2017, a class-action lawsuit accused GEO Group of violating the U.S. Constitution and federal antislavery laws by forcing some 60,000 current and former immigrant detainees at the Denver Contract Detention Facility based in Aurora, Colorado, to work for less than a dollar a day or for nothing at all. It evolved from a 2014 lawsuit filed on behalf of nine immigrant plaintiffs, who alleged they were forced to work without pay and were threatened with solitary confinement if they refused.

the egregious conditions in the cages in for-profit detention centers are just as problematic as the family separations. conditions have only gotten worse under trump, but those abuses, and the cases where young children are being forcibly administered multiple anti-psychotic drugs to stop them from crying, originiated in the obama era.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Kavros posted:

The operation of the camps (and even of ICE in general) was substantively different in more than a number of ways which made Miller's abduction pogrom-lite such a fantastically absurd and vile new thing. It is not unthinkable that what Obama was doing would not continue, but what was happening under Obama is not what happened under Trump. You have to ignore major substantive differences to have that kind of cross-over.

And the abduction strategy is just a microcosm, a singular example of something that "this probably wouldn't have happened if trump hadn't won." It is one of potentially hundreds. Clinton would not have put two ungodly corporatist federalist originalists on the supreme court for us to deal with until we ourselves are senior citizens, there would not have been Muslim Ban take one, two, or (the successful) 3, the FCC wouldn't have been handed over to a corrupt clown, the nation's environmental regulation wouldn't have been handed over to blatant agents of regulatory capture. I have not forgotten who is in charge of our educational system, or what she has done. I have not forgotten about Pruitt. I have not forgotten about Housing and Urban Development. What has happened in Puerto Rico.

Clinton would have come with all of her own problems and likely would have allowed the Republicans to engage in their capricious patterns well enough that this election would have been a hell of a crush for the democrats instead, and the subject inspires a lot of questions of what would have been different. But to subscribe to peter's assertion as written, that 'things would be just as bad under hillary' -- it's farcical imagineering of the actual differences that would be at play.
I must be the only person on this forum who honestly doesn't give a gently caress about the courts, for a couple reasons:
  • Congress can remake them essentially at whim. With a supermajority they can impeach Justices and judges and replace them, and failing that with a simple majority they can resize them, change their jurisdiction, and so on. Congress has nearly full control over the courts, and with control of the Presidency courts are only a problem if the Democrats allow them to be. This is a total non-issue provided we don't elect Democrats who aren't complete cowards. (That's admittedly a big ask, so it would seem, but Trump's election has also prompted the Democratic base to start demanding a lot more of their party than they have in decades.)
  • Had Hillary won and Democrats had not taken the Senate, the GOP would have only ramped up the obstructionism we saw during the Obama years. (edit: they probably would have done that obstruction even if the Democrats had won the Senate, and Schumer would have allowed it). It's possible they'd have simply not confirmed any Supreme Court Justice. And, if they had, having seen Obama already pre-emptively compromise (as usual) it's likely they would only confirm a Justice to the right of Garland. We'd get better than Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, but not much better.
  • Any cries of "but the Republicans will just pack the courts even harder when they retake power :qq:" I just ignore. Make sure they never retake power! And if they do, lovely courts only during Republican control is better than lovely courts always. We can keep that game up until judicial appointments become a de facto jobs program, for all I care.
It is really concerning that this lowering of expectations for what Congress and the President can do to the courts is going to give Democrats all the cover they need to throw up their hand and declare "nothing we can do, better just get used to three decades of austerity!" Don't allow them that.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 9, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Lightning Knight posted:

"Knowing things" is demonstrably not a requirement to be President in tyool 2018 and AOC is at least as competent as about half the people that have held the office in the last 100 years and she's never been elected to anything before. But good job going immediately down the "lol the woman of color is just so dumb" route my dude.

Where does the "AOC is woefully ignorant" line of thought come from besides that one time she said "unemployment" when talking about underemployment?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 9, 2018

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

His "career" in the Marines. Did they expect this guy to be well on his way to making full bird colonel or something despite enlisting out of high school?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lemming posted:

My point is that intention doesn't matter to the victims, which is why I brought up the drone attacks as well. I don't care if Obama had an intentional child separation policy. I care that children were and are in cages. It makes absolutely zero difference what was in the politician's heart or what you think you saw in their soul. The results are the results. "We have to put babies in cages because, well, we're just so overwhelmed, gosh darn it!" and "We have to put babies in cages because I'm a dick!" have no real world difference in the situation, which is: babies in cages.

Lightning Knight posted:

It is fun watching the cognitive dissonance of people who say we need more women and people of color and millennials to be in power and then a young woman of color goes from a bartender to the house in a year and suddenly people are like, "Well, what does she know!?" I am absolutely convinced AOC's perspective on the world is much more aligned with mine than another 60 year old who have been listening to think tanks since prep school.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If Democrats made a deal with North Korea they would have been crucified in the media by both the right, for being soft pansy sissies, and by the left, since NK would still be a primal totalitarian hermit state.

When Republicans do it though, well at least they aren’t torturing and sex trafficking asylum seeking children to satisfy neo -Nazis.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stereotype posted:

If Democrats made a deal with North Korea they would have been crucified in the media by both the right, for being soft pansy sissies, and by the left, since NK would still be a primal totalitarian hermit state.

LOL, what? The left would absolutely back disarmament talks and agreements with North Korea.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I must be the only person on this forum who honestly doesn't give a gently caress about the courts, for a couple reasons:
[list]
[*]Congress can remake them essentially at whim. With a supermajority they can impeach Justices and judges and replace them, and failing that with a simple majority they can resize them, change their jurisdiction, and so on. Congress has nearly full control over the courts, and with control of the Presidency courts are only a problem if the Democrats allow them to be. This is a total non-issue provided we don't elect Democrats who aren't complete cowards. (That's admittedly a big ask, so it would seem, but Trump's election has also prompted the Democratic base to start demanding a lot more of their party than they have in decades.)

Without going too in depth to the rest of your position, it could also just be said "Congress can just remake the presidency at a whim. They have impeachment powers, they have full control over who gets to be president." It's one thing to say what congress can do about the supreme court, but the reality of the situation makes for a much less trivial issue regarding Trump's appointments.

There are circumstances that can come about to let future congress alter the course of the supreme court, but there's enough inertia and present conditional reality that means that Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are bad in a way which we have theories about how to undo, but which may not come to fruition, and the situation is one that is better not having come about in the first place.

Which I contest related to the larger absurdism about if things would have been "the same" under Clinton.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

It is fun watching the cognitive dissonance of people who say we need more women and people of color and millennials to be in power and then a young woman of color goes from a bartender to the house in a year and suddenly people are like, "Well, what does she know!?" I am absolutely convinced AOC's perspective on the world is much more aligned with mine than another 60 year old who have been listening to think tanks since prep school.

People are stuck on the myth that politicians know what they're doing and are wise statesmen and need experience to be able to legislate. When in reality they mostly don't read the bills they sign, they get told what to think on issues by interest groups (better hope they're not evil ones!), and spend far more time campaigning than actually applying some sort of wisdom to the policy they craft.

That's the system we've got and it doesn't have to be a bad one if we start picking politicians based on their values and personal leadership over the anachronistic traits of experience and lawyerly expertise. We need to be able to trust our politicians to kick out the evil lobbyists and let in the good ones. We need to be able to trust the same in their staff and thus need to trust our politicians judgement of people and leadership.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

My point is that intention doesn't matter to the victims, which is why I brought up the drone attacks as well. I don't care if Obama had an intentional child separation policy. I care that children were and are in cages. It makes absolutely zero difference what was in the politician's heart or what you think you saw in their soul. The results are the results. "We have to put babies in cages because, well, we're just so overwhelmed, gosh darn it!" and "We have to put babies in cages because I'm a dick!" have no real world difference in the situation, which is: babies in cages.

Trump intentionally victimized additional people. He went out of his way to take children out of the arms of their parents and put them in cages.

Trump created more victims. Equivocating the two despite a drastic difference in both scale and amount of additional suffering (since, again, Obama didn't separate families that were already together, he detained children who were sent over on their own until they could be placed with families) makes you seem like you don't understand what's going on. Again, nobody's saying that what Obama did was good or not bad, we're saying that the people who are saying that Trump isn't worse are stupid.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

1glitch0 posted:

Seriously. I'd trust any prole making an honest attempt at being president over Donald loving Trump who hasn't shown any evidence since his inauguration of learning about even one of the important issues he's woefully ignorant about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Meanwhile, tonight in California:

https://twitter.com/LauraAnthony7/status/1060711908553060352

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Politicians do generally self-select (and/or are selected in by the system) for people who can psychologically tolerate a lot of high stress personal bargaining, have dogged fixation on policy concepts. In a lot of ways a politician's primary skillset is to make deals. Not in legislation, but as if you were running a personal business, gladhanding your way to financing your next election or assured sinecure, and making sure not to piss your way into a pair of concrete shoes of the metaphorical and literal kind. So they tend to know some things. We just hate the outcome of that they play democracy like a personal finance game.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't really give a gently caress if it isn't a requirement, it should be a requirement, and the moment we stop holding ourselves to that standard is the moment we end up with a president who champions ignorance over knowledge. Sound familiar?

It's good, on the whole, that AOC is elected to congress but Dems need shut the gently caress up about her becoming president one day. She hasn't even proven herself capable of a legislative accomplishment yet, let alone specialist knowledge in any specific policy area.

Same with Beto - who loving lost.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't really give a gently caress if it isn't a requirement, it should be a requirement, and the moment we stop holding ourselves to that standard is the moment we end up with a president who champions ignorance over knowledge. Sound familiar?

There's a pretty huge difference between someone who doesn't know stuff but is willing to learn, and someone who is fundamentally incurious.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

It's good, on the whole, that AOC is elected to congress but Dems need shut the gently caress up about her becoming president one day. She hasn't even proven herself capable of a legislative accomplishment yet, let alone specialist knowledge in any specific policy area.

Same with Beto - who loving lost.

Why? What advantage does this gain us? How did Obama's two years in the senate change help him face his 8 years of Republican obstruction? Didn't seem to help him much there.

What specific kind of skills do you think a future president must hold that aren't already requirements to run a grassroots campaign? AOC can run a meeting. She can delegate. She can listen to multiple experts and pick a side.

She's pro-science and pro-knowledge, so that throws out your slippery slope to "championing ignorance" argument. Besides, lots of experienced politicians who champion ignorance, so its not even like political experience would guard against that threat.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Majorian posted:

There's a pretty huge difference between someone who doesn't know stuff but is willing to learn, and someone who is fundamentally incurious.

No doubt, not suggesting there isn't a huge difference.

That doesn't mean ignorance with good intentions is a virtue.

The presidency shouldn't go to someone who has good intentions. It should go to someone who actually has a track record, which AOC doesn't have. Maybe one day she will, and maybe one day she'll speak with authority on these issues after time in Congress. At that point I'd be happy to see her run for president. But not now, especially not when she hasn't even done anything.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 9, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Well, but you're treating AOC's (comparatively few) examples of ignorance like they're some sort of super-damning, awful thing. You really seem like you hold a grudge against her or something, and it's pretty unseemly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Majorian posted:

The absolute most important feature of a successful president is filling their administration with competent experts and knowing who to listen to and when, which Trump has also fundamentally failed at.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Majorian posted:

Well, but you're treating AOC's (comparatively few) examples of ignorance like they're some sort of super-damning, awful thing. You really seem like you hold a grudge against her or something, and it's pretty unseemly.

Only in the context of people saying - now - that she should be president.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

That doesn't mean ignorance with good intentions is a virtue.

But that's the whole point. Most politicians are ignorant of the facts of everyday life that AOC knows and that's far more valuable than her having some arcane knowledge that its a staffer's job to know anyway.

Knowledge of the human condition is far more valuable in a politician than knowledge of the law.

CelestialScribe posted:

Good news, no one is saying she's going to run in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

No one is saying that she should run for president anytime soon. She's not eligible. Stop it.