Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

Could you take a photo and show us where the mission is at?

quick dirty version

The mission's been up since chapter 8 and obviously other people have figured out ways to get down there, but I can't build any of the bumpers or engines I've found so far. Can't get to the Mountain GP, can't get to the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Omobono posted:

They absolutely nailed this in the game. He has a couple shotgun attacks that hurt like hell if they connect. They also have a long wind-up and a predictable dodge window with massive recovery frames afterwards, so everytime the shotgun comes out it's a free combo.
The rest of his moveset would not be that bad (he is a trained Hokuto user after all) were it not so loving telegraphed.

I love the idea that Jagi would be legit the best Hokuto user if not for one fatal flaw.

He missed the memo that Hokuto doesn't follow the more traditional rules of announcing your attack names BEFORE you hit.

"My little brother is so slow, he forgets to shout his attack names until after the fact. Oh that silly Ken."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 6, 2018

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Stelas posted:

quick dirty version

The mission's been up since chapter 8 and obviously other people have figured out ways to get down there, but I can't build any of the bumpers or engines I've found so far. Can't get to the Mountain GP, can't get to the bridge.

Yeah, okay. If you keep up in the story, you'll end up at a mission where you have to break rocks with your buggy. Just like with the tire mission, you'll drive to the area where the materials are and they'll be clear white pillars to pick up. Grab the mats, head back, make the bumper and you're gold.

It's a hit infuriating, but eh.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I gotta say, everything to do with the buggy seems a bit half-baked

I assume the reason you're not even allowed to go to the wasteland at night is because they didn't have time/money to build a night version of it

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Knowing how the Yakuza team works, I'm sure if they had a chance to keep making FOTNS games, they'd keep refining and adding onto the buggy section features that seemed obvious from the get-go.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I think the wasteland was just a time thing. You can sort of tell because how like the entire southern part of the it is barely used but in the beginning of the game you drive out to the Cassandra. Instead of having stuff like Rei searching for his sister and then Souther/his gang and everyone else all just rolling up to this one city they probably planned to have like Souther's pyramid/etc. relevant locations around the wasteland like with the Cassandra. The foundation of something potentially awesome is there.

Speaking of refined improvements, from Dead Souls to Binary Domain can you even imagine how loving awesome a Binary Domain 2 would be?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Finally read through the FOTNS manga up to and including Souther. Holy poo poo that was epic. Christ carrying his boulder of a cross up to Golgotha while bleeding to death, hundreds of children's lives at stake if he stumbles. Olympic gods causing mountains to collapse under the thunder of their fists.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 7, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Time to watch all 109 episodes of the anime again I guess

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Finally read through the FOTNS manga up to and including Souther. Holy poo poo that was epic. Christ carrying his boulder of a cross up to Golgotha while bleeding to death, hundreds of children's lives at stake if he stumbles. Olympic gods causing mountains to collapse under the thunder of their fists.

Fuckin owns. It's one of the few comics that really is just straight up biblically and spiritually epic without any exaggeration of the word epic. The cartoon is of course campy but legit awesome too, folks have written about this plenty of times but you can really tell that, like the Adam West Batman show they realized what they were capable of with the budget and they really do use that to intentionally funny effect very often like all the times Kenshiro slides into frame in the background while a guy in the foreground is menacing folks and so on. Not that the comic doesn't have moments of levity but it's such a weirdly perfect fit when dealing with such ridiculous mythology-level storytelling.

Sort of like Batman TAS, they did the thing where the very first episode is just a little gorier than the rest* with the exploded bodies and stuff. I always appreciated that while they of course had to tone down some stuff color wise to make it a little less gory, they relatively did the nuclear apocalypse and resulting mayhem justice in a kids show.

Speaking of which, it's not an amazing movie per se but if you like post-apocalyptic stuff you need to see THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR, a 70s film that stars Yul Brynner, Max von Sydow, and George Eastman. Fist of the North Star wears its influences on its sleeve like Mad Max stuff and The New Barbarians and so on, but there's no way in hell they didn't see this flick also. Definitely belongs in the pantheon just for doing what it does before Mad Max 2, 2020 Texas Gladiators, etc.

Anyway it's interesting because it was directed by Richard Clouse (Enter the Dragon) and IIRC Yul Brynner's role was initially being developed for Bruce Lee before he died. The role is a stoic (no really he just appears in town and stands there for a day straight), shirtless, unarmed combat warrior roaming the post apocalypse beating up assholes who raid defenseless villages of folks just trying to survive. Now with Mad Max (and martial arts, and Fist of the North Star and so on) existing there'd been some "Mad Max, but with fisticuffs instead of guns" attempt movies like Steel Dawn or Prototype X92A, but can you even imagine how different action movies would be if something that was basically Fist of the North Star that actually starred Bruce Lee and his input happened in the 70s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXO2o0peZGM

*TAS' first completed episode (airing is weird so depending on where you were it may not have been the first episode you saw) is the only one with blood in it via Batman getting a bloody lip and some rare moments of hit impacts and stuff actually being shown on screen. IIRC it might be the only one where they use the word "killed" instead of "disappeared" or "his mind was erased" or whatever too. That stuff is always fascinating to me when grim or violent material is attempted to be fit into kid programming.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 7, 2018

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah it owns, I'd love to see it get more popular in the US

Edit: the show has plenty of dope scenes too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31-o_WdZTU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
LOL now Raoh and Toki are punching each other to death while both crying about punching each other to death

Good soup! posted:

Yeah it owns, I'd love to see it get more popular in the US

Edit: the show has plenty of dope scenes too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31-o_WdZTU

I swear that music belongs in Kill Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYPq829sHSQ&t=117s

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I swear that music belongs in Kill Bill

The theme is of course infamous but if you like martial arts/any action movie music at all then all of the show's music fuckin' owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaY1ihyBtbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCW1I7imqNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADoeIW7eSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplJnWUtyCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDn_scXqvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDy3R--7Odw

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

It arrived!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

:respek:

Mine arrived as well. Super happy with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp, lost my patience for 3-5 to be announced so I just went ahead and bought 6.

I’ve kinda absorbed here and there that Haruka grew up to be an idol singer in 5, and decided to spectacularly end her career by announcing at a concert that she was quitting and that she loved her ex-yakuza dad. Is there anything else important I need to be filled in on going in?

Edit: it looks like they have a refresher on all the previous games in the menus

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 8, 2018

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
All I can say is that I don't recommend your course of action :shrug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really hate that the like first couple hours of Yakuza 6 are dedicated to explaining what the gently caress happened at the end of Yakuza 5 because that game's ending is so terrible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Policenaut posted:

I really hate that the like first couple hours of Yakuza 6 are dedicated to explaining what the gently caress happened at the end of Yakuza 5 because that game's ending is so terrible.

The good news is that in the beginning of 6 whatever editing they did makes the ending of 5 look very emotional and good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
edit: ahh, gently caress it, full steam ahead!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 8, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even in a series not overly populated by smart people, Koji Shindo is one dumb motherfucker.

Also the photoshoot minigame in Kiwami 2 is the worst minigame so far. Even apart from the creep factor, the mechanics aren't engaging and a round goes on for far too long. Telephone Club did a similar thing much better.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Telephone Club did a similar thing much better.

especially when you gently caress up and choose the wrong option

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
"I'm twelve"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That and the "I'm gonna kick this phone's rear end" mini cutscene.

His frowny heart just isn't into taking those candid pictures, you can tell.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Just realized I skipped that mini game completely. Never went up those stairs. So to find out what an amon is I would have to?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also the photoshoot minigame in Kiwami 2 is the worst minigame so far. Even apart from the creep factor, the mechanics aren't engaging and a round goes on for far too long. Telephone Club did a similar thing much better.

I have trouble conceiving of a worse minigame than the catfights in 0, but I wouldn't put it past them either.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what if rock paper scissors, but it was extremely embarrassing to watch

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what if rock paper scissors, but it was extremely embarrassing to watch

also what if it had button mashing segments where you'll sometimes fail if you participate, but you'll always fail if you don't participate

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Just remembered red dead redemption 2, I hog tied a black widow and, pleading to go free, she said "I'm goodgirl" with the same cadence as the cabaret club song and I laughed.

Intentional reference?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Yeah, okay. If you keep up in the story, you'll end up at a mission where you have to break rocks with your buggy. Just like with the tire mission, you'll drive to the area where the materials are and they'll be clear white pillars to pick up. Grab the mats, head back, make the bumper and you're gold.

It's a hit infuriating, but eh.

You can also build a rockbreaker way ahead of time if you get one in a random drop. With it you can access the entire map after a ch 9 sidequest opens the bottom half(and also dick around in the Northern Mountains way earlier than you're supposed to, though there's not much to do there besides pick up some materials)

It's still not the most annoying part of the buggy, that honor goes to the top tier parts, the materials with which to repair them can only be found in any decent quantity from a single trader in the bottom-left corner of the map next to a building(higher up in that building is a hostess, too)

Anyway I'm enjoying the game a lot so far, my one complaint is that I wish there was a bit more variety in dudes exploding. I mean yes that's what 90% of hokuto techniques do but there's also the ones that make people hug each-other to death or makes a dude break his own spine with his legs

e:

Steve Yun posted:

LOL now Raoh and Toki are punching each other to death while both crying about punching each other to death

FOTNS is 50% people having super-manly battles while crying, and 50% Kenshiro making GBS threads on scumbags in the dopest ways possible. It rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKyPXZOQIc

(also lol at kenshiro's insanely 90s mullet)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 9, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished it, good game with a bunch of flaws that could probably be worked out in a sequel if one ever happens

biggest flaw of all: nagoshi where is ai wo torimodose don't blueball me like this

the Receive You re-imagining is good but i am not remotely shock over here

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yinlock posted:

finished it, good game with a bunch of flaws that could probably be worked out in a sequel if one ever happens

biggest flaw of all: nagoshi where is ai wo torimodose don't blueball me like this

the Receive You re-imagining is good but i am not remotely shock over here

I was a little stunned at the lack of the real music considering how great ALL of the music in almost every FotNS animated thing is. Like Sega produced the ASW fighting game several years ago and that had the theme and also the "Kenshiro's hulking out now" tracks too and was absolutely NOT a big budget game on any level. I mean the game's original tracks (in both cases) are excellent too but come on.

I really do love that version of Receive You though.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Even in a series not overly populated by smart people, Koji Shindo is one dumb motherfucker.

Even when the original Yakuza 2 was new I had to laugh during his boss fight when he gets the little ULTIMATE FINAL TECHNIQUE POWER UP where he rips the pipes off the walls and stuff like lol who does this pitiful wannabe even think he is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Unfortunately due to modern era licensing, Ai wo Torimodose! and TOUGH BOY are both DLC. Of course, this DLC only came out in Japan.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Neo Rasa posted:

Even when the original Yakuza 2 was new I had to laugh during his boss fight when he gets the little ULTIMATE FINAL TECHNIQUE POWER UP where he rips the pipes off the walls and stuff like lol who does this pitiful wannabe even think he is.

That's Hiroshi Hayashi, not Shindo. Shindo was the leader of the Nishikiyama family after Nishiki's death who tried to stage a coup.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
komaki in yakuza 1 ps2 is an evil loving bastard. trying to do the "dodge my throwing attacks" bit to get a new move and you have to somehow dodge before he even starts to throw, and then the 2nd version of that is hitting him close up!? wtih this wank camera system? i got it down to one dodge-punch left and even managed to hit him 3 times and it still didnt count. :negative:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Unfortunately due to modern era licensing, Ai wo Torimodose! and TOUGH BOY are both DLC. Of course, this DLC only came out in Japan.

I thought that wouldn't be as big of a problem since aiwo is basically synonymous with FOTNS, it's in almost every FOTNS thing ever with good reason(because it rules)

I figured they were saving it for the final boss or something

e:

ChaosArgate posted:

That's Hiroshi Hayashi, not Shindo. Shindo was the leader of the Nishikiyama family after Nishiki's death who tried to stage a coup.

I still wonder why they kept that guy around. "Yes i specifically idolize this traitor who ruined every single life he ever touched" he says on his first meeting with Kiryu

Like I can understand Kiryu letting that one go since he blames himself for how Nishiki turned out, but why did everyone else

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 12, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Yinlock posted:

FOTNS is 50% people having super-manly battles while crying, and 50% Kenshiro making GBS threads on scumbags in the dopest ways possible. It rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKyPXZOQIc

(also lol at kenshiro's insanely 90s mullet)

Kenshiro once kicked a man in the duck so hard his head exploded. And I mean his literal head, not his penis, although that probably got blown up too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Judge Eyes is getting a new demo in Japan this month, focused on side content.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

David D. Davidson posted:

Kenshiro once kicked a man in the duck so hard his head exploded. And I mean his literal head, not his penis, although that probably got blown up too.
But was the duck okay?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Yinlock posted:

I still wonder why they kept that guy around. "Yes i specifically idolize this traitor who ruined every single life he ever touched" he says on his first meeting with Kiryu

Like I can understand Kiryu letting that one go since he blames himself for how Nishiki turned out, but why did everyone else

The Tojo Clan is very very dumb. These are the same people that lionized Sohei Dojima, History's Greatest Monster, after his justified death. It says a lot that Majima is the smartest member of the entire clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yinlock posted:

The Nishiki clan probably got to stick around because Terada was in charge and was really trying to burn it all down and figured "eh, a few loose cannons are probably gonna help that."

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 13, 2018