Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

tbh the only part I don't like abotu Christmas is dealing with bigotted family. Luckily I don't gotta this year except for a phone call so I'm chill as gently caress.

pet peeve of the day: getting those weird tiny slivers that break off your nails sometimes and they catch on things but when you go to remove them they turn invisible or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oi to the world is its own peeve.

You think the nazi skinhead is going to learn a valuable life lesson but nope, he stays an rear end the whole way through and the sikh-coded punk risks his own rear end to save the nazi who 15 minutes ago had tried to murder him.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Barenaked for the Holidays is a pretty good listen.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I can't stand dealing with illiterate co-workers. I know that they aren't illiterate by choice but why in the gently caress do they bother sending me e-mails that say things like TAK EE HAR ROO UND???? instead of walking over and talking to me? And stop asking me to read labels on cans for you, the labels all have pictures!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Christmas starts in like loving August now and just gets longer every year. I despise the holiday for some of the same reasons as BattyKiara there so yeah, I feel you. It's a materialistic wreck of a holiday that led to people getting trampled to death as people run to get discounted big screen TVs.

This is not that much of an exaggeration. I'm old enough to remember when Christmas actually started the day after Thanksgiving, which I'm cool with. Now it seems like the "season" is so loving long that by the time the actual day rolls around, I just want to loving get it overwith.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is not that much of an exaggeration. I'm old enough to remember when Christmas actually started the day after Thanksgiving, which I'm cool with. Now it seems like the "season" is so loving long that by the time the actual day rolls around, I just want to loving get it overwith.

The superstore I like to go to had started swapping out their Halloween section for Christmas the loving weekend before Halloween!

Christmas with my family is torture. My brother lived with them until 30 so he managed to squirrel a relative ton of money away, and my parents are old and retired so they also have a relative ton of money. They all can and do just buy what they want whenever they want. The gift exchange usually revolves around them being visibly disappointed that my broke rear end can't spend nearly as much on them, which ends up being around $500 if you include the fact that I drive out there and back every year.

Then you factor in the fact that they never do anything but watch TV. It's not even good TV all day it's CNN, and a DVR full of House Hunters and Property Brothers. I'm literally on the couch the whole time wishing I had anything else I could do.

At one point last year we went to my brother's townhouse. We played Sorry! and Blokus, but it wasn't a physical copy of either game, we played it on Gametable, through my brother's computer, displayed on the TV. Sorry, involved us sitting on his couch, and my brother pulling cards: "IC moved 5, Mom moves 6, Dad moves back 4, I move 3." repeat. It was the most asinine "activity"

We did play a physical copy of Risk at my parents house one point, and now I know why people hate Risk. I used to like it when it was me and my friends watching horror movies and not exactly giving a poo poo. This was a 4 hour slog that involved my brother holing up in a couple continents, coming out to break nearby continents and then just going back to it.

"But IC, go visit your friends!" I can't because I didn't grow up around there, and no no one but my family in the area.
"But IC, you can just stay home!" I kinda like my family, and it's really the only time I get a chance to see them, they're just boring as gently caress.
"But IC, just go do something on your own!" Christmas weekend in a rural area? Seriously?

At least I know that this year, I'm just getting them a stack of fun board games, no names, just a stack of 6-8 games.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I can't stand dealing with illiterate co-workers. I know that they aren't illiterate by choice but why in the gently caress do they bother sending me e-mails that say things like TAK EE HAR ROO UND???? instead of walking over and talking to me? And stop asking me to read labels on cans for you, the labels all have pictures!

I can't even tell what language they're illiterate in

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Master Twig posted:

Barenaked for the Holidays is a pretty good listen.

Amen! Their Jingle Bells is sublime, although you can kind of tell Stephen was on coke at the time

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm a jew and loving love christmas, screw the haters.

It's legit the most wonderful time of the year. Get into the spirit you goons.

My dad is a Jewish atheist and he is in love with Christmas. He even loves the music (“I’m not a lyrics guy!”). Personally I think it’s a solid holiday and I enjoy Christmas itself but the season needs to be trimmed considerably. No Christmas cheer until at least December 1 and no music until December 23.

Thanksgiving has become underrated imo. It sucks to travel for because of work though.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I don't enjoy forced whimsy. I don't enjoy any Christmas movies (Elf makes me violently angry). I enjoy one Christmas song and it's stupid af. I hate the rabid consumerism and one-upmanship of The Perfect Christmas. I hate the unbelievable waste (wrapping paper, cards, uneaten food, loving whole trees, toys that aren't needed and never get used, gifts for the sake of gifts that just sit around for a year and get thrown away).

I like decorations and baking. And having days off work. That's not enough to make up for the rest of the festive trashfire.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Elf is good for the first 20 minutes and then becomes unbearable

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Christmas is a scam to further infect capitalism on a younger generation. I prefer the winter solstice.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Elf with the fire of 10000 O type stars

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thanksgiving has become underrated imo. It sucks to travel for because of work though.

Thanksgiving fuckin owns. Get drunk, then stuff yourself full, take a nap, then dessert and more drinking. Plus you can be done with family by like 4pm and spend the rest of the night doing fuckall.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I'm getting super sad about all you guys that don't want to live at the North Pole with Santa. I think Christmas is magical and wonderful and absolutely a blast. I worked at Hobby Lobby through four Christmas seasons, horrible muzak and all, because the decorations are so fun to organize. And you get to decorate trees for months! I want Christmas all year. It's that fun for me. I really wish people weren't so upset by it. I feel more and more like an alien for loving it. Then again I do love me some forced whimsy.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Nov 9, 2018

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. One day of eating, drinking, and watching football. No gifts, no decorations, no music.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fizzymercy posted:

I'm getting super sad about all you guys that don't want to live at the North Pole with Santa. I think Christmas is magical and wonderful and absolutely a blast. I worked at Hobby Lobby through four Christmas seasons, horrible muzak and all, because the decorations are so fun to organize. And you get to decorate trees for months! I want Christmas all year. It's that fun for me. I really wish people weren't so upset by it. I feel more and more like an alien for loving it. Then again I do love me some forced whimsy.

It's you, you're what's wrong with the world

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, Hannukah is NOT "jewish christmas"

They have nothing in common except time of year. And I guess presents and lights.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fizzymercy posted:

Jesus Christ, probate this poster

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Jesus Christ, probate this poster

Why would he punish someone for loving his birthday?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

teenytinymouse posted:

loving whole trees

You're supposed to decorate them, not have sex with them. Perhaps why the whole thing seems wrong to you?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why would he punish someone for loving his birthday?

Because they got it wrong, just like everyone else. He's gotten pretty weary of it by now.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

ookiimarukochan posted:

You're supposed to decorate them, not have sex with them. Perhaps why the whole thing seems wrong to you?

I wish people would find something else to do with them other than just watch them rot then throw them away. Upcycled fir tree fuckhole is fine by me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hate birthdays.

My mother always wants to do something for everyone's birthday and it has to be as close as possible to their actual birthday, regardless of how busy everyone is or what else is on. I always end up being really busy for pretty much the whole month around my birthday and as much as I like going out to dinner and spending time with my family, I just don't want to have to find time for that when I've got so much else on. Oh, my one free weekend when I was going to relax and recharge a bit? Sure, why not, let's do something then. Oh, and dad doesn't want to come to Melbourne, so yeah, I'll spend two hours on a train and two hours coming back the next day. The next month I've got a whole two weeks off, but you're right, I wasn't born in June so that would never do. :cripes:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

I can't even tell what language they're illiterate in

That "sentence" was copied from an e-mail where they were trying to ask me if I knew the phone number for the nearby pizza place. They really thought that those were the sounds those letters made.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

fizzymercy posted:

You really wouldn't get worn out on X-mas 24/7? Anything, no matter how amazing would have to lose its sheen if you got it all day every day.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELFOLbt_s_w

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Christmas actually works for me, I get that feeling, I feel closer to people, it makes me let go of dumb poo poo...

I also like getting and giving gifts. I wish I hated Christmas but I do not deep down. I get mad annoyed when the day after Halloween poo poo starts going up.

So insulting to satan.

Bothers me too because I like to keep the whole skulls'n'spirits vibe going through Dia de los Muertos, and X-massy stuff steps on that a bit.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

You really wouldn't get worn out on X-mas 24/7? Anything, no matter how amazing would have to lose its sheen if you got it all day every day.

Nope, I would adore it, so long as it was all the aesthetic and none of the bullshit. Christmas, like the weird commercial American Christmas, it is my weak spot. I just want gingerbread houses and Christmas trees all year as a deliberate design feature.

I know. I'm a monster.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Complained about this one before, but security questions like "what is your favorite ___" where the answer won't always be the same when you answer it. I just had a "what is the name of your favorite pet" that drove me bonkers because it turned out it was also case sensitive and apparently I didn't capitalize the answer when I typed it years ago, which made me start second-guessing which pet it was (when of course it was and always will be this guy)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never put actual answers into those. Use a password generator to treat it like another password. That stuff is how all those celebrity nudes leaked.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

And my nudes as well

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More like oldclothesless.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

fizzymercy posted:

I don't even like consensual whimsy, tbh.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

when I go in to give plasma they always do a finger prick which is fine but they never do it on the meaty pad on my finger which is less painful and also easier to get the required about of blood from. They always wanna do it on the side for some reason? it is the worst.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

More like oldprickless

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More like oldoldpainlessless

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

FluxFaun posted:

when I go in to give plasma they always do a finger prick which is fine but they never do it on the meaty pad on my finger which is less painful and also easier to get the required about of blood from. They always wanna do it on the side for some reason? it is the worst.

Repeated pricking of the pads can lead to them going numb from damage (see: lifetime T2 diabetics), and also the pads often have calluses that can make bleeding more difficult. Compound that with the very large portion of the clientele that give plasma as often as possible for years and years, have rough hands from blue collar jobs and/or homelessness, and you end up with them poking the side near the nail out of habit for both their and the client's perceived benefit.

Doesn't mean that they're right in doing it, just how maybe their habit formed. I do the same thing with patients when checking blood sugar in the hospital or on the ambulance :v:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Queen Combat posted:

Repeated pricking of the pads can lead to them going numb from damage (see: lifetime T2 diabetics), and also the pads often have calluses that can make bleeding more difficult. Compound that with the very large portion of the clientele that give plasma as often as possible for years and years, have rough hands from blue collar jobs and/or homelessness, and you end up with them poking the side near the nail out of habit for both their and the client's perceived benefit.

Doesn't mean that they're right in doing it, just how maybe their habit formed. I do the same thing with patients when checking blood sugar in the hospital or on the ambulance :v:

This actually made me less annoyed about it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When you're on public transit during your morning commute and it's dead quiet as usual....until someone starts loudly yapping on their cell phone.

People who act like the world is against them because they suck at making financial priorities. My friend got rude towards the clerk at a college registration office because one course she wanted to take required a deposit fee to reserve a seat. She kept saying she wouldn't have enough money in her bank account afterwards. Come on, you've lived with your parents rent free for the past four years, have not gone back to school and have worked full time for all of it. You could have easily saved money for post secondary but no, going on expensive dates all the time and stuffing your closet with tacky, poorly made clothing is so much more important.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Nov 11, 2018