Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

But for AOC surely there is another rep or senator who has a spare bedroom that they will offer to her and her partner to use. I totally understand that she might not take them up on the offer and respect her for it.

Rebooting alpha house eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Deified Data posted:

I promise no one thought of him that way, he's been a butt-monkey of the republican party for years. Do you not remember the very long-lived jihad beard meme? This serious-person image-crafting is a Sorkinesque delusion that was never really a thing.

They literally begged him to be speaker.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ryan's wonk image was entirely media manufactured since "intellectual" conservatives needed a figure to point to in order to justify supporting their white supremacist party that had no idea how to run a government other than to loot and pillage it and the centrist media needs a both sides narrative.

Only Beltway idiots and Republican voters who needed the lie for comfort fell for it since the guy is obviously an idiot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shifty Pony posted:

It is in no way an analogous situation but this reminds me of the hypocrisy of the tea party in 2010 whose newly elected members flipped out when they learned during new member orientation that federal employee health benefits take a few weeks to kick in.. Just a happy thought for the thread.

But for AOC surely there is another rep or senator who has a spare bedroom that they will offer to her and her partner to use. I totally understand that she might not take them up on the offer and respect her for it.

Yeah but I bet if anyone gives her a room for a couple nights she will be investigated for taking gifts in a corruption scandal

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I think the big difference was simply how the leadership election worked out versus 2016 primary, Corbyn was against a pretty weak field of candidates. Also, the UK Labour party as a parliamentary party is generally more centralized than the Democrats and even then Corbyn had to put town multiple rebellions.

Yeah, can't deny that the set of circumstances that led to Corbyn's leadership were incredibly fortuitous, and if the Blairite faction figured out what was going on in time the left of the party would have remained frozen out. We got lucky.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Cerebral Bore posted:

Suburban white voters are a pivotal demographic solely because they're the only one that either party actually tries to win over.
You should put down the bon mots and read the 538 article and my North Carolina post.

Trump losing the suburbs could guarantee flipping Thom Tillis' seat and lock in 15 electoral votes. It also won the Democrats 27 seats on Tuesday.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think the root of "Paul Ryan is a conservative thinker we should take seriously" is bad punditry from the 2012 presidential election where op-ed columnists and cable news hosts either believed in, or willingly wanted to create, the illusion that the Ryan budget plan was a policy paper that should be taken seriously instead of a massive tax cut paid for by magic and the abolition of social security. (I'm old enough to remember when Ryan was Romney's VP candidate.)

Edit: speaking of Matt Yglesias and Paul Ryan, there's this from 2010.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Rebooting alpha house eh?

Goddamnit I miss that show

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Unzip and Attack posted:

This hasn't been true for over a year. Please stop spreading fascist whataboutism propaganda, thanks.

even if literally everything else were the same and hillary somehow passed the biggest tax cut in history like a mad woman, at least we wouldn't have kavanagh

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sulphagnist posted:

I think the root of "Paul Ryan is a conservative thinker we should take seriously" is bad punditry from the 2012 presidential election where op-ed columnists and cable news hosts either believed in, or willingly wanted to create, the illusion that the Ryan budget plan was a policy paper that should be taken seriously instead of a massive tax cut paid for by magic and the abolition of social security. (I'm old enough to remember when Ryan was Romney's VP candidate.)

Dude's favorite book is Atlas shrugged and favorite band was Rage against the machine.

loving moron.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Vox? Where has Vox helped craft that image? NYT, CNN, yes, absolutely. But I'm going to have to disagree about vox without some links. I know Chapo hates them but that's not enough for me.

Edit: overall I agree our media ecosystem helped Ryan and conservatives in general, and no leftist will get the exact same treatment. I do think someone might be able to figure out how to better navigate our hosed up media, though.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4wq5kb/paul-ryan-what-stupid-people-think-a-smart-guy-sounds-like
ctrl-f ezra

I mean just google and you come up with this kind of poo poo:
https://www.vox.com/2014/7/24/5933383/ryan-poverty-plan-democrats

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm pleading with you, thread, stop sharing photos of the CBP processing facility in McAllen when arguing that Obama had child camps.

That's not what McAllen is or ever was.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Sulphagnist posted:

My hot take on Democratic leadership is that they should give obstruction and constitutional hardball a try given how well it has worked out for the Republicans. Pelosi's first message out of the midterms was "bipartisan solutions" and Trump's response was setting fire to the DOJ and calling for the Senate to investigate Democratic Representatives.

Someone in this thread, I think Greyjoy, had the observation that Bipartisanship means we work together to do what I want.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ew. OK. Thanks.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Deified Data posted:

I promise no one thought of him that way, he's been a butt-monkey of the republican party for years. Do you not remember the very long-lived jihad beard meme? This serious-person image-crafting is a Sorkinesque delusion that was never really a thing.
Are you kidding? Ryan was nearly always treated as a "policy wonk", when his "budget" proposal was the equivalent of the dril candle tweet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chilichimp posted:

I'm pleading with you, thread, stop sharing photos of the CBP processing facility in McAllen when arguing that Obama had child camps.

This thread in the last ten pages has cycled through "at least trump is a better president than hillary" followed by recount obamas crimes (with fake pictures) followed by nanci polosi chat. We are now in all fox news all the time territory.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tibalt posted:

Someone in this thread, I think Greyjoy, had the observation that Bipartisanship means we work together to do what I want.

Yeah, the Republican playbook since 2010 has been "label doing everything they want the way they want 'bipartisan,' nakedly wield whatever power you have, look wide-eyed and innocent whenever anyone complains and ask them why they hate America." Whether or not you think House Democratic leadership intends to do the latter two things, we haven't actually gotten to that point yet since it's not January, so all we've got is the first part and that's indistinguishable from actually planning to make yooge deals.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah I'll readily cop to Ezra Klein being bad. Although the second piece is basically a really circuitous and wonkish way to get to "Paul Ryan is a giant hypocrite", but it still throws in entirely unnecessary and unearned praises of some of Ryan's policies.

Tibalt posted:

Right, I think the ultimate problem is that we don't trust that what Pelosi really wants is what we really want.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So the token principled conservative in my circle of friends is claiming that there's a reasonable case for an investigation into Broward County Florida, specifically because apparently they refuse to answer how many ballots remain to be counted, using the primary election shenanigans as evidence of possible wrong doing. Is there truth to this and if not, what's the truth?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sulphagnist posted:

Right, I think the ultimate problem is that we don't trust that what Pelosi really wants is what we really want.

I think I agree and that's why these discussions are ultimately so circuitous and recurrent, especially in a roughly two-month period where no new data is coming in about how one should interpret a statement of Pelosi's, so every new statement of Pelosi's just gets interpreted according to our baseline beliefs and then we yell at each other when the output differs.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

So the token principled conservative in my circle of friends is claiming that there's a reasonable case for an investigation into Broward County Florida, specifically because apparently they refuse to answer how many ballots remain to be counted, using the primary election shenanigans as evidence of possible wrong doing. Is there truth to this and if not, what's the truth?

This is complete bullshit. Demand evidence.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This thread in the last ten pages has cycled through "at least trump is a better president than hillary" followed by recount obamas crimes (with fake pictures) followed by nanci polosi chat. We are now in all fox news all the time territory.

Bring back the Trump thread, fuuuuuuuuck

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ryan's star really lost its shine after he got the Speaker job.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The truth is that Rick scott doesn't want to get caught stealing the election he stole so he's reaching about for any excuse to try to stop himself from getting caught

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Who's Trump?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Something in Broward County caused a massive undercount in the Senate race compared to every other Florida county (4% versus less than 1% everywhere else).

This could be due to either an error in the vote-tallying machine, or people skipped over it due to poor ballot design. So either the Republicans will lose after a thorough recount, or Republicans win because of more lovely 2000-esque bullshit. They're trying to counter both of these scenarios by poisoning the well and saying any news coming out of Broward County is Democratic voter fraud.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It was not "at least trump is a better president than hillary," it was "well at least we don't have the republican supermajority hillary probably would have triggered" followed by arguing about whether trump is ENOUGH worse to make up for that.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://twitter.com/JonahNRO/status/1060885002555133952

quote:

The president has spent two years learning the job to which he brought a communications skill set unmatched by any other commander in chief, except Ronald Reagan, and as much — if not more — television experience than the Gipper. President Barack Obama could do “cool” as well as anyone. Nobody is better at “combative” than Trump, and we live in an age addicted to combativeness. Cable news has adopted sports-like coverage and monetized combativeness.
Sorry folks, the crazy man on AM radio had already called it for Trump in 2020.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
God these threads really eat themselves apart at night and when news gets slow.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

not a cult posted:

Ryan's star really lost its shine after he got the Speaker job.

Dude spent like a decade lecturing everyone on how things ought to be and how policy should be written.

When he got the gavel and a trifecta of legislating power, he crumbled like a leaf in flame. Turns out he's only good at making GBS threads on other peoples ideas and couldn't manage to steer a coalition within his own caucus.

But they did pass a lot of really bad bills that were too evil for the Senate, so that's something, I guess. It still blows my mind that they really only passed 2 bills of consequence and both had to be done on reconciliation, because they've had zero intent to even acknowledge the other side of the chamber is there.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Can we go back to having a separate Trump thread?

I would rather not have to scroll through post after post about how Democrats suck.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Luckyellow posted:

Who's Trump?

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1060617000463011841

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/JonahNRO/status/1060885002555133952

Sorry folks, the crazy man on AM radio had already called it for Trump in 2020.

I too think a pickup of two (?) Senate seats for (checks notes) the entire House and multiple state legislatures is "winning"

Who the gently caress approved this clown's article?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Ither posted:

I would rather not have to scroll through post after post about how Democrats suck.

Totally agree I miss the trump thread.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ither posted:

There was never a separate trump thread.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Luckyellow posted:

Who's Trump?

I bid 4 No Trump.

I think AOC would be a poor Presidential candidate because she is not yet 35 years old.

If Scott goes down in flames, I will be very happy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

It was not "at least trump is a better president than hillary," it was "well at least we don't have the republican supermajority hillary probably would have triggered" followed by arguing about whether trump is ENOUGH worse to make up for that.

Considering your own people have bled and died because of the administration that is currently in power, I think it's a pretty hot loving take to say "at least we know Nazi's exists".

Christ man, that is scathing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

I too think a pickup of two (?) Senate seats for (checks notes) the entire House and multiple state legislatures is "winning"

It sucks because the Judge Project continues unabated. We'll get no more legislation for two years while the Judiciary continues to fill with young conservative activists who will legislate from the bench. We're steam-rolling to our next crisis, in short.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Considering your own people have bled and died because of the administration that is currently in power, I think it's a pretty hot loving take to say "at least we know Nazi's exists".

Christ man, that is scathing.

What the gently caress are you even saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TulliusCicero posted:

I mean, the loss of those seats means zero judicial obstruction for 2 years