Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

octo expansion hasn't had that 100% shine on it like mainstream nintendo games, instead more like 80% and still so much better than almost every full release title elsewhere, but its still been totally worth the price imo :woomy:

so

time to get back to playing online and resume losing against literal children :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LeFishy posted:

Nah that was basically just a bullshit excuse for them to have the rmah. Levels are still generated but clientside because "your computer isn't powerful enough to do it" was an outright lie.

That argument was never going to fly, because the kind of equations running to build any randomized dungeon aren't really going to be all that fundamentally different than any random-dungeon-generator Rogue-like (or hell, Rogue) from the 80's. The real load on the system is the graphics.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

octo expansion hasn't had that 100% shine on it like mainstream nintendo games, instead more like 80% and still so much better than almost every full release title elsewhere, but its still been totally worth the price imo :woomy:
Not that you can't have your own opinion or anything, but out of curiosity, what was it about the other 20% that made you feel that way?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ignite Memories posted:

Is Star Allies getting to the point where it's as full and robust a kirby game as Superstar?

I will pay 60 for a kirby but only for the really top shelf poo poo

Not gonna lie it felt more robust than Super Star at launch if we're talking pure game length. You can finish all of Super Star in like 2-3 hours. It's just really good at tricking you into thinking its longer than it actually is.

I think Spring Breeze is literally like... 10 minutes long for example.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That argument was never going to fly, because the kind of equations running to build any randomized dungeon aren't really going to be all that fundamentally different than any random-dungeon-generator Rogue-like (or hell, Rogue) from the 80's. The real load on the system is the graphics.

Tbh all that stuff is still voodoo to me 6 years later but what I do know is that the always online crap was poo poo and led to my game crashing a couple of times. I'm glad they got rid of it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh all that stuff is still voodoo to me 6 years later but what I do know is that the always online crap was poo poo and led to my game crashing a couple of times. I'm glad they got rid of it

The short of it is is that what you're thinking is some big massive effort to create your fancy random dungeon as a whole Thing is mostly a set of calculated text instructions totaling about a couple MB in size. It'll read in layman terms something like;
code:
Spawn Room Template A, Grid 1,0,1, 
-Put 3x Goblin Type C at Spawn Location A,
-Put Treasure Chest Type LEGENDARY at Spawn Location C.
Over a couple hundred/thousand lines of instructions, with some sanity-checking to make sure all the entrances to the rooms line up, average enemy levels/encounter locations aren't too strong, etc. The graphics are just window-dressing.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 9, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Your Computer posted:

Wow, I hadn't heard that excuse before. That's silly, I'm totally powerful enough to do it :colbert:

I just want you to know that I appreciated this :golfclap:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m upgrading my old rear end downstairs TV and surround sound receiver this month and I know the Switch is fickle with surround sound. Does anyone have a list of decent surround sound receivers that work with the switch for 5.1?

Short answer: forget about it and keep it set to Stereo.

I have not got surround sound to work correctly on Switch, IIRC it is using some non-standard thing (because Nintendo) so neither my 5.1 system or soundbar managed to play it back correctly.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Crawfish posted:

Not that you can't have your own opinion or anything, but out of curiosity, what was it about the other 20% that made you feel that way?

Ehhhh I really can't quantify it, which I figured someone would ask about...

Putting a number on it was kinda dumb too, I get that. How about 90% as good?

Its like its not as...filled out...? Full of texture (and not the literal ones) or w/e? Which makes sense for it being an add-on thing while they at the same time the team of peeps were supporting the main game itself with fun new surprises.

Maybe?

Its still better than pretty much most things though -- I'm grading on nintendo scale. :)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it could also just be the simple reason that after running through the main street (a starting area I associate so much with a jump up n down level of hype on fest nights) while getting back into the expansion, that the relative quiet seems TOO quiet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The YouTube app on switch is good but I don't I'll ever use it much because I almost always have a game suspended and I don't want to close a game I playing to watch a video. If anything I'd rather undock and put a video on TV in the background while I continue to play a game.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I really really don't understand people who game while watching stuff on the TV in the background, my brain just can't multitask like that.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The YouTube app on switch is good but I don't I'll ever use it much because I almost always have a game suspended and I don't want to close a game I playing to watch a video. If anything I'd rather undock and put a video on TV in the background while I continue to play a game.

Yeah. The app would have been great for me - and I really wanted it - when I did not have a smart TV with a YT app.

Nowadays, between a tablet and a TV, I have no use for it.

Edit: But it is still a good thing for those who do not have a native YT app on their TVs.

Hi. Im Leeroy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 9, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MZ posted:

I really really don't understand people who game while watching stuff on the TV in the background, my brain just can't multitask like that.

It's more for the audio. Like listening to a podcast while driving

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MZ posted:

It's generally not for stuff that needs your concentration but situations like crafting or less-intense minigames like Fishing that just zen out for anyway.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m upgrading my old rear end downstairs TV and surround sound receiver this month and I know the Switch is fickle with surround sound. Does anyone have a list of decent surround sound receivers that work with the switch for 5.1?

I have a Yamaha RX-V483 that works well. Mario Kart and Zelda were a blast with it.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I cannot imagine using youtube without an ad blocker

I wouldn't use it without an ad blocker

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Whenever I use my phone I get SO MANY ads for cacha games. The worst ones are when they use footage of a streamer getting excited about his new waifus

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bulgakov posted:

I cannot imagine using youtube without an ad blocker

I wouldn't use it without an ad blocker

Just get Premium!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I have premium

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have Vanced.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MZ posted:

It can be nice if you're doing something mindless. v:shobon:v I liked having Dark Souls let's plays running on my second monitor while doing my dozens of gimmick runs through those games. Also when grinding in JRPGs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The excuse I always heard for the Diablo 3 always-online stuff outside of the RMAH wasn't anything relating to client-side processing power, but as a heavy-handed anti-cheat measure after Diablo 2 got hacked to bits. Something that, well, is less relevant on consoles.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Takoluka posted:

Just get Premium!

lol

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I can't imagine watching enough stuff on YouTube to care about ads.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine anyone ever being okay with ads

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I can't imagine paying for content. All entertainment should be made for free, for me.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Get Youtube Premium and watch Cobra Kai!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
This is Dr. Günter Zooloff

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watch a lot of YouTube with my kid, he loves watching walkthroughs of games and I'll be dammed if he gets ads

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MZ posted:

Real talk: multitasking, even if one of the activities doesn't get the normally-required level of attention, can actually be MORE comfortable for people, such as myself, diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. Sometimes, having to switch focus quickly and frequently is what we want to have to do. After years of fighting it, I now accept that I'd rather being doing two things at once than one.

Not more than two, though; that's nuts.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Merkinman posted:

I can't imagine paying for content. All entertainment should be made for free, for me.

block ads and give the few people worthy of your attention a buck a month, and its more than they'd have earned if they got ad sense pennies, without having had to waste hours trying to play the youtube monetization game against a blackbox

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Internet advertising has an unshakeable and well-earned reputation for giving your computer and all your devices digital herpes, so naturally people don't want to deal with it. How people avoid it is frankly between them and the deity of their choosing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
One nice thing about YouTube on the Nintendo Switch Gaming And Media Consumption System is that unlike my phone or a traditional tablet there's places to grab it that don't obscure the screen. Nice for watching stuff in bed. Also the Purchased tab backdoors your Movies Anywhere digital copies of things, that's nice.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 9, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Best way to watch anything in bed, get a small projector and angle it to your ceiling. You can even dock your switch to it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Best way to watch anything in bed, get a small projector and angle it to your ceiling. You can even dock your switch to it

Oh for sure man, definitely gonna do that

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I know someone who says he's looking forward to using his phone's mobile hotspot to watch YouTube on his Switch on the go.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just have a translucent ceiling that I rear project from the attic.

you scrubs

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Takoluka posted:

I know someone who says he's looking forward to using his phone's mobile hotspot to watch YouTube on his Switch on the go.

Ok that's pointless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheScott2K posted:

Ok that's pointless

he was very excited about the prospect